BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What would adding a miraculous amount of water to the earth's surface do to the atmosphere? Beats me.

My beef was with the faulty 45 feet above sea level number that came out of nowhere.
View Quote
You know I didn't think of that.

So let's just say say we add 29k feet of water from now where to the earth. What would the impact be?

On the grand scale that much added mass would change the earth's gravitational pull on the moon and sun possibly moving the Earth and moon out of their orbits, potentially  destabilize the earth's rotation, crush and scour everything from the land, Absorb a shit ton of atmospheric oxygen, partially desalinate the oceans, cover the whole topsoil in salt when it evaporated, partially melt and definitely displace the polar ice caps, displace and cool the atmosphere, change the seasons and God knows what else.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#2]
This thread...wow.

First of all, there is a religion sub forum. Second, are people here actually speculating on this made up fairytale as if it actually occurred?

It's as if somebody were asking directions for the Fountain of Youth and your response (instead of, "haha good one") is, "Yes, well you take Main Street and take a left on Baker Street, it's at the end of the street in the culdesac."

What's even more fucking ridiculous is talk of Noah' s Ark - people actually speculating on not if it actually existed, but how big. Holy fuck...

I'm glad I grew out of this crap in adulthood - the difference between Noah's Ark, David and Goliath, and Santa Claus is nothing. They're all man made fairytales.

Thankfully, I was intelligent enough to understand it's all bullshit - just like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

I'm going to start a religion that worships Beowulf - afterall, it's old as shit and was written down by our ancestors - why should it not be treated as fact?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The bible, still better at prophecy than wayfaerer320.

Quoted:Hillary will win (you're high as a frigging kite if you think otherwise).
View Quote
Link.

Lol...
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#4]
That was for a photoshop contest, see:worth1000.com
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Of all the things wrong with Noah's Ark and YEC, is probably the Chinese (as well as other civilizations) who had a civilization going (Yao Dynasty) at the time not being annihilated when God flooded the Earth (allegedly) only saving Noah and his crew.

Though pretty much ever civilization has flood myths (water is kinda pretty much everywhere), they largely don't line up to one event.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What round for Goliath??
View Quote
45mm
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#7]
the issue with understanding the Bible is this:

--certain portions of the Old Testament are myths handed down by oral tradition from ancient times and influenced by the Babylonians and other regional cultural powerhouses of the time, and are not supposed to be eyewitness historical accounts of actual events,

--certain portions of the Old Testament are meant to be inspirational stories of the Hebrew peoples,

--certain portions of the Old Testament are meant to be historical documentaries, to the best of their ability, written down centuries after having been passed down as oral traditions,

--the Gospels are eyewitness accounts of Jesus' ministries but recorded in writing years or decades after the fact, and

--the Letters in the New Testament are attempts to explain their understanding of Jesus' teachings to new congregations scattered around the central/eastern Mediterranean area.  And Paul, the most prolific writer of the Letters and probably the most influential person in the very beginning of Christianity (aside from Jesus himself ), was not even a firsthand witness to Jesus' ministries.  

So to say, "the Bible is literal truth!" or "the Bible is a fairy tale!" is to make a sweeping generalization of a book that is actually a compendium of several different types of books from different genres.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Link.

Lol...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:Hillary will win (you're high as a frigging kite if you think otherwise).
Link.

Lol...
Yep -  I was wrong about Trump.

So I must be wrong about the bible...
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Of all the things wrong with Noah's Ark and YEC, is probably the Chinese (as well as other civilizations) who had a civilization going (Yao Dynasty) at the time not being annihilated when God flooded the Earth (allegedly) only saving Noah and his crew.

Though pretty much ever civilization has flood myths (water is kinda pretty much everywhere), they largely don't line up to one event.
View Quote
Hi, there.

Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
the issue with understanding the Bible is this:

--certain portions of the Old Testament are myths handed down by oral tradition from ancient times and influenced by the Babylonians and other regional cultural powerhouses of the time, and are not supposed to be eyewitness historical accounts of actual events,

--certain portions of the Old Testament are meant to be inspirational stories of the Hebrew peoples,

--certain portions of the Old Testament are meant to be historical documentaries, to the best of their ability, written down centuries after having been passed down as oral traditions,

--the Gospels are eyewitness accounts of Jesus' ministries but recorded in writing years or decades after the fact, and

--the Letters in the New Testament are attempts to explain their understanding of Jesus' teachings to new congregations scattered around the central/eastern Mediterranean area.  And Paul, the most prolific writer of the Letters and probably the most influential person in the very beginning of Christianity (aside from Jesus himself ), was not even a firsthand witness to Jesus' ministries.  

So to say, "the Bible is literal truth!" or "the Bible is a fairy tale!" is to make a sweeping generalization of a book that is actually a compendium of several different types of books from different genres.
View Quote
Demythologize the bible? Eewww...

Are you Rudolf Bultmann's troll account, or Spinoza's?

Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm glad I grew out of this crap in adulthood - the difference between Noah's Ark, David and Goliath, and Santa Claus is nothing. They're all man made fairytales.    
View Quote
I certainly can't prove the story of David and Goliath happened, but it is certainly not a fairy tale.

Look at it from beginning to end.  Is there any part of it that couldn't have happened?  There is a definite lack of supernatural activity.

Yes, there are some problems with the story.  But the basic story stands up.  Big man frightens every one except for young shepherd boy.  Young shepherd boy knocks the crap out of big man with a stone from his sling and cuts his head off.

Not a fairy tale.  That is not proof that it happened, but it could have happened.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What does that quote have to do with someone "giving me a talking too"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And, as usual, you would be completely wrong.

No one ever "gave me a talking too" about that or anything else.
"That is impossible in the Religion Forum, as the Truth of Jesus' Gospel cannot be posted there." - O_P
What does that quote have to do with someone "giving me a talking too"?
Why do you think it's impossible to post the "Truth" of Jesus' Gospel there?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I certainly can't prove the story of David and Goliath happened, but it is certainly not a fairy tale.

Look at it from beginning to end.  Is there any part of it that couldn't have happened?  There is a definite lack of supernatural activity.

Yes, there are some problems with the story.  But the basic story stands up.  Big man frightens every one except for young shepherd boy.  Young shepherd boy knocks the crap out of big man with a stone from his sling and cuts his head off.

Not a fairy tale.  That is not proof that it happened, but it could have happened.
View Quote
I could have banged Zhang Ziyi. There is several times that we've been in the same place at the same time. She's been known to be open to new things. Just because I'd didn't happen but could have means it's true or a story worth repeating?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Hi.

Always, I want to be with you
And make believe with you...
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#16]
As a Bible believing Christian - I believe every word to be 100% true word of God. If it was full of fairy tails and lies it would be useless junk.
Jesus didn't hang on the cross for a book of fairy tales.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#17]
 I could have banged Zhang Ziyi. There is several times that we've been in the same place at the same time. She's been known to be open to new things. Just because I'd didn't happen but could have means it's true or a story worth repeating?
View Quote
No, but get the story repeated numerous times over thousands of years and we will take another look at it.

Need to make it more exciting though.  A giant might work, maybe a dragon.

Check back in 5017.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Never met either of them.  Are they Team members?

Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As a Bible believing Christian - I believe every word to be 100% true word of God. If it was full of fairy tails and lies it would be useless junk.
Jesus didn't hang on the cross for a book of fairy tales.
View Quote
People die for a lot of dumb reasons/randomly/etc. S--- happens.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No, but get the story repeated numerous times over thousands of years and we will take another look at it.

Need to make it more exciting though.  A giant might work, maybe a dragon.

Check back in 5017.
View Quote
Add in some nonsense about the Shemitah and Blood Moons (we actually had a member here buy into that hook, line and sinker).
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's worse than that. I hear Julius Wellhausen is a mod.

Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Or, it might simply be a matter of faith.

Evangelical Christians believe that the men who wrote the Bible were inspired to do so by God, Who wanted a written record for future generations to have.

We also believe that God Supernaturally Superintended the writing, gathering, and preservation of His Perfect Word to assure that it was accurate and without error, and exactly as He wanted it to be. This inerrancy applied to the original writings, called Autographs. All of these autographs have been lost. But they were copied hundreds of times and we have many of these very early copies. They are in agreement as to content.

We believe that God also Supernaturally kept these books accurate and has preserved them for us without error. Of course, we also realize that anyone that can read Greek can "translate" to English and if they aren't very good at it, make errors. But we can compare any translation to the established copies and see if the translation is correct.

And, before anyone asks, Yes, we believe all of this as a matter of Faith. If you don't believe it, fine with me. I am just explaining what we believe.

I believe in the "plenary, verbally, infallible, inspired, and inerrant-in-the-original-manuscripts Word of God."
View Quote
I knew my post would trigger you to respond, Old_Painless.    

I think a lot of what each of us wrote is not mutually exclusive to the other's post.  For example, I believe that the writing, gathering, and preservation of Genesis and the other older books within the Old Testament were divinely inspired so future generations could have that material to read and in turn be inspired to worship God.

However, as a student of the past 4000+ years of recorded history, I am VERY cynical of anything touched by the hand of Man.  For example, the Protestant Churches, the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, and the Anglican Church all have a different number of books in their approved Bibles.  Which is correct?  Another example:  different versions of the Bible have been written with a definite slant toward either supporting a specific denomination's doctrine or toward encouraging the peasants to submit to their ruler's authority.  Which is correct?  

So, I have a bit of a critical eye towards certain dogmatic approaches to the Bible's contents.  Paradoxically, this frees me up to shake off the shackles of dogma (by this point you can tell I was raised Roman Catholic but no longer consider myself to be one), not get bogged down in minutia, and get back to the real point of Jesus' teachings:  Worship God in the manner in which Jesus taught us, and be good to each other.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
i bet your into vegan crossfit too aren't you. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread...wow.

First of all, there is a religion sub forum. Second, are people here actually speculating on this made up fairytale as if it actually occurred?

It's as if somebody were asking directions for the Fountain of Youth and your response (instead of, "haha good one") is, "Yes, well you take Main Street and take a left on Baker Street, it's at the end of the street in the culdesac."

What's even more fucking ridiculous is talk of Noah' s Ark - people actually speculating on not if it actually existed, but how big. Holy fuck...

Thankfully, I was intelligent enough to understand it's all bullshit - just like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

I'm going to start a religion that worships Beowulf - afterall, it's old as shit and was written down by our ancestors - why should it not be treated as fact?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread...wow.

and a pilot, too.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
and a pilot, too.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread...wow.

and a pilot, too.  
Superb rebuttals.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel these "the bible is fact because people said it was" threads...
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Atheists are actually under-represented. There's a ton of people who take on the Christian label for purely tribal reasons.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Ironic that it's the religious who typically start these threads.

In GD.....despite having a safe space all to themselves....and then complain that <gasp!> nonbelievers also reply.

Yet atheists are the vocal ones? Gotcha.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
to be fair the only shit stirring i have seen in this thread have come from the rabid athiest crowd. discussion is fine up until you cross the line to insulting peoples beliefs just to be a dick.

there is no foul of these topics in gd. it's very easy to not read them if you don't like them.
View Quote
GD never fails.

Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#36]
a cubit is believed to be about 1.5 feet so 6x 1.5 = 9 feet
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
at the end of the day who cares. a man's beliefs are his and no one else's business.
View Quote
Evangelicals would disagree.  Their purpose in life is to make Jesus everybody's business.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
And we can't say that in the Religion Forum.
View Quote
Who/what told you that?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Except that isn't even remotely the "real point of Jesus' teachings".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.... and get back to the real point of Jesus' teachings:  Worship God in the manner in which Jesus taught us, and be good to each other.
Except that isn't even remotely the "real point of Jesus' teachings".
I was grossly oversimplifying.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
i'll say the same for a lot of athiest. most don't have a clue what it actually means, it's cool within their group. i'd bet more are actually agnostic than athiest. at the end of the day who cares. a man's beliefs are his and no one else's business. neither side should be pushing the issue.
View Quote
If you take the label "Agnostic", you're likely an (Agnostic-)Atheist, rather than a (Agnostic-)Theist.

One either believes or they don't. There's no middle-ground there. Do they not know whether they believe or not?

Questions about claims to certainty/knowledge are separate, it's just a question of simple belief (Do you believe or not?)

If they say they don't have enough evidence to warrant belief, then they're Atheists.

Beliefs matter. Beliefs inform actions. Ideas/beliefs matter.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:11:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Atheists are actually under-represented. There's a ton of people who take on the Christian label for purely tribal reasons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
But that seems to be a dwindling trend.

http://adam4d.com/death-of-christianity/
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:49:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Superb rebuttals.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel these "the bible is fact because people said it was" threads...
View Quote
This is GD... why are you so threatened by a discussion about David and Goliath?  This is GD...grow up and get over it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:53:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Evangelicals would disagree.  Their purpose in life is to make Jesus everybody's business.
View Quote
Incorrect. Their purpose in life is to make Jesus available to everybody. It's each person's decision.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Incorrect. Their purpose in life is to make Jesus available to everybody. It's each person's decision.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Standby for the Calvinists.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
If Jesus were real, and all mighty, why would he needs evangelicals to make him available to everybody, why would any person had to make a decision, it would have to be automatically accepted, your all mighty.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If Jesus were real, and all mighty, why would he needs evangelicals to make him available to everybody, why would any person had to make a decision, it would have to be automatically accepted, your all mighty.
View Quote
You mean why would God allow people to have free will and not just a bunch of robots?

If you were throwing a really cool party would you want everyone to be compelled to go or just the people who wanted to be there?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh no, you've opened up that whole free will can of worms.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't comment on your theology, but that grammar is downright heretical.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top