Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#1]
You know, this whole 'my job is dangerous, therefore I must dress properly to address the safety issue'...

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/09/24/americas-10-most-dangerous-jobs/#photo-10

If a fisherman used the same logic (most dangerous US job, 2012), then they would be wearing life jacket, swim fins, snorkels every time they left the house.

But, you don't see that.  It's T-shirts, rubber boots and ball caps.

To whit...

I was FD in a combination paid/volly department.  I was, and remain, good friends with the local LEOs.

I watched and listened while these LEOs, who dressed semi-military, tell me, and others, that they dressed this way, "So I can go home safe!"  Our local guys did not take this to an extreme, most were good guys, and meant well.  A little ignorant of gun laws, but, not JBTs in the classic sense.

It did leave me scratching my head to see them speeding to calls when no emergency speeds were necessary, ignoring safety vests while conducting traffic operations, not wearing PPE around a fire scene/smoke/ hazmat incident, etc.

It was odd, to say the least, to hear them tout the dangers and the need for personal protection while refusing to wear (actively and passively) all the 'non-cool' safety gear and practices in their next action.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Professionals to act like Professionals

Though It appears YOU are the one with Hurt feelings

Well sorry to disappoint. I'm at home and this is my off day. The uniform is hanging in the closet.

But its hanging on the same type of hanger that the military uses. QED, ipso facto, whatever, the militarization of the police...

Yep with military spacing and I even roll my sock mil spec.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:15:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You know, this whole 'my job is dangerous, therefore I must dress properly to address the safety issue'...

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/09/24/americas-10-most-dangerous-jobs/#photo-10

If a fisherman used the same logic (most dangerous US job, 2012), then they would be wearing life jacket, swim fins, snorkels every time they left the house.

To whit...

I was FD in a combination paid/volly department.  I was, and remain, good friends with the local LEOs.

I watched and listened while these LEOs, who dressed semi-military, tell me, and others, that they dressed this way, "So I can go home safe!"  Our local guys did not take this to an extreme, most were good guys, and meant well.  A little ignorant of gun laws, but, not JBTs in the classic sense.

It did leave me scratching my head to see them speeding to calls when no emergency speeds were necessary, ignoring safety vests while conducting traffic operations, not wearing PPE around a fire scene/smoke/ hazmat incident, etc.

It was odd, to say the least, to hear them tout the dangers and the need for personal protection while refusing to wear (actively and passively) all the 'non-cool' safety gear and practices in their next action.

TRG

So, you were a hose dragger?

Figures.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I can't decide if this or the birth pain thread is the most retarded for this week.

Oh, the birth pain one, hands down.  Besides, this thread gave me the word "coperator," which I fully intend to try to work into conversation this week.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Figures.

I got to shower with firemen.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Goodnight everyone this thread has been a blast. Watch out for those dreaded assault screwdrivers in Alabama. LOL

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Before you know it, the cops will be running around with military ranks, too.  Sergeants, lieutenants, and captains;  Just wildly out of control militarization of the police.

Look, the founders of the country seemed to understand it was unwise to have a military deployed against the country's own citizens.   You think they got that wrong?

Yes, cops need weapons, ranks, and an organization that in many ways parallels our military.  But at the end of the day, there are key differences between the way a military operates and the way a police force operates.  Over the last few decades we've seen our police sliding into more military tactics and a military mindset towards the civilian population.  This is not healthy.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You own a plate carrier, pants with cargo pockets and an AR OP?

Do these guys? And I bet they could handle their shit.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qlUEV6bKv4Q/TfZZtjt_nJI/AAAAAAAAABk/kfHGv2yts9k/s1600/lawmen+mainst+sepia.jpg

They wouldn't survive one year on the job.

Your correct, they wouldnt have tolerated the politics, the BS and the general stupid.

And what they couldn't get away with...  cameras all over the place.. being held accountable for ones actions is a much higher priority than it ever was.

Yup, the attitude, and professionalism is much greater than it used to be.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Figures.

I got to shower with firemen.

TRG

So, you were playing with hoses inside the station.. and outside of the station..

Yeah.. no pics please.

And don't IM me.

kthnxbye
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

To whit...

TRG

I was in the Navy

what pants were Cooler for for me to wear ..... Fatigues
which ones were Safer .... The Bell Bottom Dungarees

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

To whit...

TRG

I was in the Navy

what pants were Cooler for for me to wear ..... Fatigues
which ones were Safer .... The Bell Bottom Dungarees

Navy?

Which one do you like to wear when you go camping?

TRG
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My issue is actually Very Simple

I honestly believe that Police Officers should look like Police Officers

Yet you've given no reasoning or validation for this viewpoint other than it's what you feel is right.

I just Did a quick poll of Joe Q Public at work and .........

Yep, Cops should look like Cops  and not Military (and as they added)  "because they have a different role"

Well, cops have ALWAYS worn military style clothing, depending on the particular assignment. So, how do cops NOT look military?

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#13]
––-SNIP––––
Show me were I said you said wound.
Notice the question mark after wound.

You know what I'm talking about as I understand what your saying.

My point is the political correctness of the wording.
It's called deadly force here, not threat stopping force.[/quote]

Of course it is deadly (lethal) force. Any use of a firearm is lethal force, and of course there is a probablity that the subject of said force will be killed. On that we agree.

BUT FOR FUCK'S SAKE, DON'T FUCKING PUT "I SHOT TO KILL" IN YOUR REPORT. As an administrator, there would be no way to protect you from the ASS RAPING you would take over that, no matter how justified the use of force was.

Please, trust me on this. All GD bullshit aside, play by the rules. No matter how much crow you gotta swallow to use "politcally correct" language. USE IT.

The devil is in the details.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#14]
They're turning into the National Jackboot Thug Association, just as the commies in Congress intended since the early 1900s
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet you've given no reasoning or validation for this viewpoint other than it's what you feel is right.

Yep, Cops should look like Cops  and not Military (and as they added)  "because they have a different role"

Well, cops have ALWAYS worn military style clothing, depending on the particular assignment. So, how do cops NOT look military?

While last at work (Saturday,) I was clad in blue jeans, a black tee shirt with a picture of a man holding a Martini glass with the words "Also Available In Sober!" written below it, and a faded light blue Hawaiian shirt.  I'd say I was pretty un-military, especially taking my week-old beard into account.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:31:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By wearing plainclothes like polos and kakhis....

But wait, then people will complain about them not looking like "cops".
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't care what uniform they wear as long as they are clearly identified.  The shit people think is a big deal...

This. If people want to be butthurt about what cops wear in their town go cry to the city council. The only cop I ever made a fuss with was one at the US Open in NY. I was working and of course everyone has golf carts including the cops. I see a guy in a sky blue polo and khakis with a J frame. I say hi and make a comment about how he must be special to get a permit in NY. He looked at me and said "ya I am a cop." "oh, you know back at home if you looked like that with no badge and you did anything with someone you'd end up with a gun in your face, maybe you should put a badge on when you aren't behind a desk"
He scowled I drove off. Fuck him its the same as cops in undercover cars who do traffic, ill keep driving and call 911. Don't like it? Drive a car that actually announces who you are. Anyone can throw on khakis a polo and put blue and red shrink wrap over clear strobes in their CVPI.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While last at work (Saturday,) I was clad in blue jeans, a black tee shirt with a picture of a man holding a Martini glass with the words "Also Available In Sober!" written below it, and a faded light blue Hawaiian shirt.  I'd say I was pretty un-military, especially taking my week-old beard into account.

Fucking detectives. Soup fucking sandwich.. the lot of em...
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't care what uniform they wear as long as they are clearly identified. The shit people think is a big deal...

This. If people want to be butthurt about what cops wear in their town go cry to the city council. The only cop I ever made a fuss with was one at the US Open in NY. I was working and of course everyone has golf carts including the cops. I see a guy in a sky blue polo and khakis with a J frame. I say hi and make a comment about how he must be special to get a permit in NY. He looked at me and said "ya I am a cop." "oh, you know back at home if you looked like that with no badge and you did anything with someone you'd end up with a gun in your face, maybe you should put a badge on when you aren't behind a desk"

He scowled I drove off. Fuck him its the same as cops in undercover cars who do traffic, ill keep driving and call 911. Don't like it? Drive a car that actually announces who you are. Anyone can throw on khakis a polo and put blue and red shrink wrap over clear strobes in their CVPI.

Wow you told off a Detective or Plain Clothes Cop. Let me commend you on your Cool factor.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
––-SNIP––––
Show me were I said you said wound.
Notice the question mark after wound.

You know what I'm talking about as I understand what your saying.

My point is the political correctness of the wording.
It's called deadly force here, not threat stopping force.

Of course it is deadly (lethal) force. Any use of a firearm is lethal force, and of course there is a probablity that the subject of said force will be killed. On that we agree.

BUT FOR FUCK'S SAKE, DON'T FUCKING PUT "I SHOT TO KILL" IN YOUR REPORT. As an administrator, there would be no way to protect you from the ASS RAPING you would take over that, no matter how justified the use of force was.

Please, trust me on this. All GD bullshit aside, play by the rules. No matter how much crow you gotta swallow to use "politcally correct" language. USE IT.

The devil is in the details.[/quote]

I'm not totally tarded.

No one would write a report that way.
That was never even part of my point. You added that to it.

ETA
Last time I checked this was GD not a report.
Lighten up Francis
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

To whit...

TRG

Your analogy doesn’t track.  The fishing jobs they are referencing are commercial jobs, not “Billy Joe” going down to the creek in a “shirt and cap” as so you eloquently put. Commercial fishermen absolutely do wear as much safety gear as they feasibly can, and still accomplish the job. Pretty sure I see the guys on deadliest catch wearing all kinds of gear, oh wait no they are just “playing dress up” and trying to “look cool” ….

Got a kick out of the fact that you think because you worked/volunteered at a FD and are “friends” with some local LEO that now you are qualified to offer up opinions on how they should do THEIR job, entertaining to say the least. Walk a mile in their shoes then perhaps you can speak on what is an acceptable amount of gear to wear.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Thread is still racist.

Am I good to go wearing full plates, heltmet, m16 etc if I'm dressed in purple?

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qlUEV6bKv4Q/TfZZtjt_nJI/AAAAAAAAABk/kfHGv2yts9k/s1600/lawmen+mainst+sepia.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4001/4407196726_8a2076cf5a_z.jpg?zz=1

lol. Because everyone knows that "lawmen" during the '50s-'60s didn't own rifle rifles and hunt deer every season...

AKs or not, that sittuation wouldn't have lasted half as long in a city were cops are allowed to have long guns in their patrol cars.

Rural cops from the '50's > urban cops from present day LA.

So you support the militarization of police then?

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ok, so what's changed?  How do you explain the fact that less protective equipment was needed to do the job back in the days when TRUE assault weapons were less restricted and easier to come by?

I mean, AK's and Stoner rifles have been around since the 40's/50's and are just as lethal today as they were back then.  And yet, no police in ninja gear were required.  Not to mention the fact that back in the day every farm boy came up knowing how to handle a high powered rifle.  The threat was always there.

So what's the real excuse for the ninja gear?  IMO, machine guns certainly haven't gotten any easier to come by these days.

For one thing, even though FA was around back then, how common were the guns we view as typical or similar to what we have now? Yeah you had some Thompsons, you had guys with hunting rifles and other long guns...but the higher capacity BRD rifles are a newer 80s-til-now phenomenon

Whats changed? Society has changed. LEOs are simply reflecting that in the gear we use.

The bad guys don't have to be armed with FA to be dangerous
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a link as to where you bought the shirt?

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#26]
So dressing up a Police Office as a Military Member makes People feel safer?

Remember I am talking about the uniform.

They aren't trying to "dress up as military".
They are weraing gear that goes along with their assignment.
The fact that both the military and LEos share some similarity in gear is meaningless.
Besides, the police have been dressing similarly to the military for a century now.....

Quoted:

First: Because it would Vastly improve the public's view and remove much of the US and Them mentality.

Second: Did I ever say They should not have effective equipment?
The Officers I have seen around here wear a vest under their shirt so what
does it batter if it is a Mil type shirt or a Peace office looking shirt?.

As far as weapons which one has more "stopping power" 12 Ga Slug or .223
As far as rifles swap out the Black plastic and put on Wood or wood grain Plastic.
(remember Public Perception, after all a police officer is a PUBLIC Servant)

Public sector employee, thanks very much.
Why do soemthing silly like swap out plastic for wood just because a few people like you get offended over functional equipment
Us vs them didn't start with LEOs
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a link as to where you bought the shirt?

Well, I didn't buy it (my old partner gave it to me,) but I found 'em for sale at t-shirt hell:

http://www.tshirthell.com/funny-shirts/also-available-in-sober/

ETA:  Picture didn't work.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

An officer should look like a PEACE officer not like a member of a Military division.

The real issue is some play dress and forget they are Public Servants.

First sentence: Why? Because you say so? Fuck that. Let me guess....you are against facial hair too?

Second: You do realize that killing badguys quickly and effectively is part of a police officer's responsibility and that activity is part of serving the public right? Yes, they have a whole myriad of other tasks that don't involve force. But when that force is needed it should be delivered quickly, effectively and without remorse.

Giving them the tools to do that only makes sense.

This is the problem I have. I support police doing their duty and would like them to be geared so that they live to go home at the end of their shifts.
It seems however, that the increased militarization of "peace officers" lends to them viewing themselves as separte from the citizenry of which they are a part. A police officers duty is to enforce the law and arrest people they determine to have violated those laws. It is then up to the courts to determine if that person was a "bad guy" or not. No issues here with officers responding to deadly force with deadly force, but "killing badguys quickly and effectively is part of a police officer's responsibility and that activity is part of serving the public" not so much.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Before you know it, the cops will be running around with military ranks, too.  Sergeants, lieutenants, and captains;  Just wildly out of control militarization of the police.

Look, the founders of the country seemed to understand it was unwise to have a military deployed against the country's own citizens.   You think they got that wrong?

Yes, cops need weapons, ranks, and an organization that in many ways parallels our military.  But at the end of the day, there are key differences between the way a military operates and the way a police force operates.  Over the last few decades we've seen our police sliding into more military tactics and a military mindset towards the civilian population.  This is not healthy.  

I agree, but what exactly does that have to do with pants?
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4001/4407196726_8a2076cf5a_z.jpg?zz=1

Oh yes, that played out excuse.

Because violent bank robberies have never stopped since the 1800's.  
BY "Tired excuse" I guess you mean no longer interesting?  Because the shit hasn't' stopped.
Hell, my buddy robbed a bank the other day.   Idiot.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Before you know it, the cops will be running around with military ranks, too. Sergeants, lieutenants, and captains; Just wildly out of control militarization of the police.

Look, the founders of the country seemed to understand it was unwise to have a military deployed against the country's own citizens. You think they got that wrong?

Yes, cops need weapons, ranks, and an organization that in many ways parallels our military. But at the end of the day, there are key differences between the way a military operates and the way a police force operates. Over the last few decades we've seen our police sliding into more military tactics and a military mindset towards the civilian population. This is not healthy.

I agree, but what exactly does that have to do with pants?

Cargo Pockets! They can carry...........................stuff.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

http://investigation.discovery.com/tv/real-vice-miami/images/real-vice-miami-ep-03-324x205.jpg
http://www.pe.com/incoming/20120229-web_cnobank_suspectexiting.jpg.ece/BINARY/w380x253/WEB_CNOBANK_SuspectExiting.jpg

http://listverse.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/34dhitz-tm.jpg?w=400&h=300
BY "Tired excuse" I guess you mean no longer interesting?  Because the shit hasn't' stopped.

Not just bank robberies. Mass shootings.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://investigation.discovery.com/tv/real-vice-miami/images/real-vice-miami-ep-03-324x205.jpg
http://www.pe.com/incoming/20120229-web_cnobank_suspectexiting.jpg.ece/BINARY/w380x253/WEB_CNOBANK_SuspectExiting.jpg
http://listverse.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/34dhitz-tm.jpg?w=400&h=300

Not just bank robberies. Mass shootings.

True.    I guess people like to think that we're still back in time where a six shooter will rule the day, and if things get really bad get a shotgun or levergun.
Those days ended in the 1920's!    

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#34]
not gonna read it all. probably somebody already said it.

my (your) tax dollars going to keep us all safe. boocoo tax dollars. small towns with tanks, mobile command centers.

also i find it interesting that in some ways modern mil operations are more like large scale drug raids than ole timey war, ala WWII and that cops tend to be more operator-like, especially since 911. sort of a blending of mil and police.

but like i said, the main thing pisses me off is the money spent on things...
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#35]
In the last 5 years I have seen ZERO officers dressed like that.
Even standing outside the cordon during a SWAT raid on my buddies Apt.  
The GWOT DHS money is drying up.  IMHO the tactical stuff is going away, it's not a year or two after 9/11 when they made out like bandits from DRMO anymore.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#36]
So, LEO's these days with the technology they have available should be walking around in hot polyester pants, a six shooter with a crappy reload time, and take one in the chest because wearing a plate carrier is just silly when you are part of a site based around a gun that is "tactical" and owning one kinda goes against your complaint?  

Take some real life pictures and get back to us.  These officers could be part of a tactical response team other than SWAT, hell they could be SWAT, etc.

If an officer showed up all tacticool you can guarantee they are being made fun of by other officers and wouldn't do it twice.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure.

Not sure what it has to do with anything however.

Your argument that "an officer should look like an officer" makes no sense. Especially given the picture posted earlier in this thread of cops on bikes with mounted machine guns.

It's that sort of backward thinking that results in "officers with rifles are scary" and "uniforms shouldn't have pockets" and other such horseshit.

An officer should look like a PEACE officer not like a member of a Military division.

I have to agree here.

I'm kinda partial to this look myself:

Unpretentious, yet no nonsense.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, so what's changed?  How do you explain the fact that less protective equipment was needed to do the job back in the days when TRUE assault weapons were less restricted and easier to come by?

I mean, AK's and Stoner rifles have been around since the 40's/50's and are just as lethal today as they were back then.  And yet, no police in ninja gear were required.  Not to mention the fact that back in the day every farm boy came up knowing how to handle a high powered rifle.  The threat was always there.

So what's the real excuse for the ninja gear?  IMO, machine guns certainly haven't gotten any easier to come by these days.

For one thing, even though FA was around back then, how common were the guns we view as typical or similar to what we have now? Yeah you had some Thompsons, you had guys with hunting rifles and other long guns...but the higher capacity BRD rifles are a newer 80s-til-now phenomenon

Whats changed? Society has changed. LEOs are simply reflecting that in the gear we use.

The bad guys don't have to be armed with FA to be dangerous

Malarky.

Bonnie and Clyde were walking around with more fire power than any modern criminal has even thought about accessing.  They were the outlier in the data set, even in their days.

The reason cops are wlking around with military gear is because funding makes it possible, along with the decreasing costs, and increasing effectiveness of body armor and military style gear.

You wouldn't get a cop to wear a Vietnam era flack jacket on patrol in LA in the 70s.  Now, it is 'affordable' to outfit cops with body armor and expect it to be lightweight and portable.

The criminals have not changed.  To say that they have 'changed' is to be disingenuous in your  argument.

Society, as shown by the DECREASE in violent crime over the last thirty years is, if anything LESS dangerous than at any time in our history.

At least try to be honest about why the gear is worn, because it is not about safety, it is about cost vs. benefit for safety gear.

If body armor only came in hot pink, and helmets only came with Hello Kitty stickers, you would not see as many cops wearing the stuff.  

TRG
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

http://imageshack.us/a/img809/5275/texasrangers2.jpg http://www.aphf.org/oficyear.gif

I admit, the coolness is there. Except there is no less-lethal options, no restraint options that I can see, no radio, and no reloads.

Completely impractical for your average road officer.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure.

Your argument that "an officer should look like an officer" makes no sense. Especially given the picture posted earlier in this thread of cops on bikes with mounted machine guns.

It's that sort of backward thinking that results in "officers with rifles are scary" and "uniforms shouldn't have pockets" and other such horseshit.

I have to agree here.

http://imageshack.us/a/img809/5275/texasrangers2.jpg http://www.aphf.org/oficyear.gif

Yeah.. ok.  Not exactly patrol outfits.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
not gonna read it all. probably somebody already said it.

my (your) tax dollars going to keep us all safe. boocoo tax dollars. small towns with tanks, mobile command centers.

also i find it interesting that in some ways modern mil operations are more like large scale drug raids than ole timey war, ala WWII and that cops tend to be more operator-like, especially since 911. sort of a blending of mil and police.

but like i said, the main thing pisses me off is the money spent on things...

Can you show me a dept with a "tank"?
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Your analogy doesn’t track.  The fishing jobs they are referencing are commercial jobs, not “Billy Joe” going down to the creek in a “shirt and cap” as so you eloquently put. Commercial fishermen absolutely do wear as much safety gear as they feasibly can, and still accomplish the job. Pretty sure I see the guys on deadliest catch wearing all kinds of gear, oh wait no they are just “playing dress up” and trying to “look cool” ….

Got a kick out of the fact that you think because you worked/volunteered at a FD and are “friends” with some local LEO that now you are qualified to offer up opinions on how they should do THEIR job, entertaining to say the least. Walk a mile in their shoes then perhaps you can speak on what is an acceptable amount of gear to wear.  

You ever been a commercial fisherman?

With a straight face, you are going to 'get a kick' out of my post, while basing your comments on something you saw on TV?

Your hypocrisy knows no bounds, Barney.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:30:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
But its hanging on the same type of hanger that the military uses. QED, ipso facto, whatever, the militarization of the police...

Oh the hanger. Quiet instrument of oppression.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Malarky.

Bonnie and Clyde were walking around with more fire power than any modern criminal has even thought about accessing.  They were the outlier in the data set, even in their days.

The reason cops are wlking around with military gear is because funding makes it possible, along with the decreasing costs, and increasing effectiveness of body armor and military style gear.

You wouldn't get a cop to wear a Vietnam era flack jacket on patrol in LA in the 70s.  Now, it is 'affordable' to outfit cops with body armor and expect it to be lightweight and portable.

The criminals have not changed.  To say that they have 'changed' is to be disingenuous in your  argument.

Society, as shown by the DECREASE in violent crime over the last thirty years is, if anything LESS dangerous than at any time in our history.

At least try to be honest about why the gear is worn, because it is not about safety, it is about cost vs. benefit for safety gear.

If body armor only came in hot pink, and helmets only came with Hello Kitty stickers, you would not see as many cops wearing the stuff.  

TRG

So you are saying we only wear it because it looks cool?  Guess what?  I hate wearing that stuff and only do it when I have to for warrant service, because it is required by policy.  The rest of the time is civilian attire, a holster, and handcuffs.  No reloads or secondary, the bare minimum.  Most of the guys I work with feel the same and complain endlessly when we have to 'gear up'.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Many police officers have died because of people who think like you.

This.  Events of the last few decades have shown that police have to be ready to respond to virtually anything.  Beslan, Mumbai, Columbine, VT, the list goes on.

No, these "the police are militerized" bozo's don't recognize that. That world does not exist. There are no active shooters. No terrorist events. No situations whatsoever that would warrant a police officer having (gasp!) an Aimpoint AND a flashlight.

Neither do they recognize the world where cops in the "good old days" would beat the shit out of people on a regular basis.

But those pockets.....those fucking pockets!

Well, let's see.  Only two of those events were in the U.S., and all of that tacticool gear would have prevented Columbine and VT how exactly?

So you don't believe any sort of terrorist event can happen inside of America? Ever? Never? Nice dreamland.

Who is arguing that tactical gear prevents crime? Please post that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure.

I have to agree here.

I like these. Plenty of pockets for my slappers, cold piece, knives, the pint the guy at the package store gives me for free every night, the cigars I got for free at the market, the ham and cheese on rye I got free at the deli, the candy the candy store lady gives me for free for my kids etc..................... cause that's really how it used to work.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Lawmen of just a generation or two ago did just fine without drop leg holsters, ninja masks and trying to be black-clad tier-one "coperators". The threats to the public and to them were just as lethal, probably just as common too. Why aren't the experienced and retired lawmen smacking this generation back to reality for playing commando dress-up? Is this trend doing damage to the public's perception of them? I believe it is.
http://revolutionaryfrontlines.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/policestateusa.jpeg
http://neveryetmelted.com/wp-images/SWAT.jpg

If these items were available they would've used them.  It was about time for another "Gear That No Lawman Shall Possess Because It Might Scare The Kids" thread.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Malarky.

TRG

So you are saying we only wear it because it looks cool?  Guess what?  I hate wearing that stuff and only do it when I have to for warrant service, because it is required by policy.  The rest of the time is civilian attire, a holster, and handcuffs.  No reloads or secondary, the bare minimum.  Most of the guys I work with feel the same and complain endlessly when we have to 'gear up'.

Yes, and no.  

Some of the men here that tell you it is 'so I can go home safe' will be the same guys that ignore the un-cool regulations about speed, safety vests, incident management, and proper attire in the interest of 'not looking gay'.

The flip side of that some gear that is commonly accepted as 'required' gear is only required because it is now lightweight, and affordable.

In the 1970s, you would not see a cop walking around with the same level of 'get home safe' attire because it was heavy, bulky, expensive or not purchased by his department, or available for a reasonable price.

The 'need' for the gear has decreased, while the availability and requirements have increased.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

You ever been a commercial fisherman?

With a straight face, you are going to 'get a kick' out of my post, while basing your comments on something you saw on TV?

Your hypocrisy knows no bounds, Barney.

TRG

Easy there "hose dragger" I never said that I know what’s best for fishermen to wear, see the difference? Or do I need to spell it out with crayons and letter blocks. Good job on missing the point.
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top