Hate this kind of news
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:05:05 AM EDT
[#2]
RIP guys.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:07:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd be willing to bet you're wrong.  All USAF C-130s carry them, but they are hardly easily accessible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.
I'd be willing to bet you're wrong.  All USAF C-130s carry them, but they are hardly easily accessible.
As of 1994, yes, USMC KC-130s carried one parachute for each crew member. Those 'chutes were fixed to a modified stretcher mounted on the right forward stanchions above the seat webbing.

m
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:14:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:

When I was crew, we had parachutes on board but we didn't wear them unless it was mission specific. I.E the loadmasters would wear them doing airdrops. But normal routine flights no.
View Quote
Same with the AF Hercs.     There was a time when they pulled them off due to wear and tear but then later put them back on.   But many of the AF Hercs mission were low level.  Not enough time typically to attempt to jump anway.   Also you only carried enough parachutes for primary crew and like one or two spares.    So if you're carrying pax, like this one appeared to be carrying, does anyone think the crew is going to jump out leaving the pax to ride it in?  
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:17:18 AM EDT
[#5]
"Secondary explosions" might not be ammo.  It could be the oxygen bottles and the hydraulic accumulators. Also tires could eexplode after burning.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:19:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

As of 1994, yes, USMC KC-130s carried one parachute for each crew member. Those 'chutes were fixed to a modified stretcher mounted on the right forward stanchions above the seat webbing.

m
View Quote

That's where we carry them too.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:23:29 AM EDT
[#7]
RIP.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:28:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

m
View Quote
... and up into 2007 too, when I retired. I strongly suspect they are still maintained onboard each aircraft.

That doesn't mean that there was time to don parachutes, or that any crewmembers not already strapped into their seats weren't being thrown around the cargobay like ragdolls as the aircraft departed anything resembling controlled flight.

Based on FB chatter, it looks like I've flown and worked plenty on the mishap aircraft, back in the day (VMGR-452 KC-130T BuNo 165000). No mention has been made about of who the crew was for this flight, or who their pax were.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:40:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm a USN Herc FE.  We don't carry parachutes..  The USMC may however, I don't know.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:42:14 AM EDT
[#10]
RIP
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:43:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

As a former KC-130 loadmaster (VMGR-152/252), the incident loadmaster would have thoroughly checked all pallets for compatibility. Unless standards have dramatically changed, the loadmaster would have had lots of experience cross referencing the various components making up the load. I routinely tore into pallets looking for 'contraband'.

The usual suspects wouldn't be ammo. Most of that stuff is 'ORM-D' - Other Regulated Materials, class D.

Ordnance would have had their class clearly labeled. The 'bad' stuff is usually fueled vehicles (fuel+electrical spark), liquid oxygen, compressed gasses, oxydizers, volatiles (spray paint) or acids...

I can't recall the manual we used, but all 'hazardous materials' would include clear guidelines on what was acceptable to be carried on a common pallet, or even on multiple pallets on one A/C.

Is it still possible something slipped through? Sure, but not without the loadmaster doing an inspection.

m
View Quote
NAVSUPPUB 505
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:45:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Fuck
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:49:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I wonder if a raft released in flight...
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:53:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Out of the hundreds of 130s I've worked I've never seen them. Where would they have them stashed? Cargo compartment?

No way they're going out the crew door, and the cargo door is inaccessible depending on the cargo unless they jettison it, and that's not something that's easy to do on a 130 if you know how to release the cargo locks. This being a J model, it has the electronic locks, but in a situation like this there's no way they'd have time or even the ability to open the door, dump the cargo, chute up and go.

edit: saw it up above, never saw them on Af birds. Crazy.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:56:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Out of the hundreds of 130s I've worked I've never seen them. Where would they have them stashed? Cargo compartment?

No way they're going out the crew door, and the cargo door is inaccessible depending on the cargo unless they jettison it, and that's not something that's easy to do on a 130 if you know how to release the cargo locks. This being a J model, it has the electronic locks, but in a situation like this there's no way they'd have time or even the ability to open the door, dump the cargo, chute up and go.
View Quote

I've worked Es, Hs, and Js, we currently have H and Js in my unit.  The chutes are directly to the right of the crew entry door.  They are tucked up out of the way so you might not have noticed them.  I've never flown as PAX or worked on one without them, though they sometimes are on the right forward instead of the left.  There are plenty of places to get out, the two troop doors would be the primary, the crew entry door if you're feeling lucky, and the ramp/door if you have the time.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:56:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As a former KC-130 loadmaster (VMGR-152/252), the incident loadmaster would have thoroughly checked all pallets for compatibility. Unless standards have dramatically changed, the loadmaster would have had lots of experience cross referencing the various components making up the load. I routinely tore into pallets looking for 'contraband'.

The usual suspects wouldn't be ammo. Most of that stuff is 'ORM-D' - Other Regulated Materials, class D.

Ordnance would have had their class clearly labeled. The 'bad' stuff is usually fueled vehicles (fuel+electrical spark), liquid oxygen, compressed gasses, oxydizers, volatiles (spray paint) or acids...

I can't recall the manual we used, but all 'hazardous materials' would include clear guidelines on what was acceptable to be carried on a common pallet, or even on multiple pallets on one A/C.

Is it still possible something slipped through? Sure, but not without the loadmaster doing an inspection.

m
View Quote
As a former 2T2, people like us kept non fliers from doing dumb shit like mixing non compatible haz. But every once in a while, when inexperience meets ignorance, shit happens. I've seen pallets come off and find flammables and oxidizers on the same pallet .
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:59:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've worked Es, Hs, and Js, we currently have H and Js in my unit.  The chutes are directly to the right of the crew entry door.  They are tucked up out of the way so you might not have noticed them.  I've never flown as PAX or worked on one without them, though they sometimes are on the right forward instead of the left.  There are plenty of places to get out, the two troop doors would be the primary, the crew entry door if you're feeling lucky, and the ramp/door if you have the time.
View Quote
DOH! I forgot about the jump doors! No way I'd go out the crew door though. No way in hell with the Ginzu Master props spinning right there.

Edit: I'd still like to see the cargo manifest to see what they were hauling.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:00:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That was one of mine.
Can't say anything more.
TYCOM
View Quote
Sorry to hear that.

My thoughts are with the families and shipmates of those Marines.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:03:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm a USN Herc FE.  We don't carry parachutes..  The USMC may however, I don't know.
View Quote
LC-130F/R Loadmaster, we didn't carry parachutes except for FCF's, and then we wore them for the entire flight.
FCF = Functional Check Flight
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:04:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

LC-130F/R Loadmaster, we didn't carry parachutes except for FCF's, and then we wore them for the entire flight.
FCF = Functional Check Flight
View Quote
What was your primary egress point, or did that depend?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:05:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depending on the cargo, I doubt the ramp would have been the egress point. More likely the left or right 'paratrooper' door, or just the cargo door (less the ramp). Assuming semi-controlled flight, and an order from the AC, possibly one of the overhead egress hatches.

Also, whenever any of our planes went to SLEP or any other extended maintenance, we removed all squadron maintained equipment. Basically, the planes were stripped.

m
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:13:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Depending on the cargo, I doubt the ramp would have been the egress point. More likely the left or right 'paratrooper' door, or just the cargo door (less the ramp). Assuming semi-controlled flight, and an order from the AC, possibly one of the overhead egress hatches.

Also, whenever any of our planes went to SLEP or any other extended maintenance, we removed all squadron maintained equipment. Basically, the planes were stripped.

m
View Quote
Woo. I would NOT want to go that way either.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:20:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What was your primary egress point, or did that depend?
View Quote
We briefed paratroop doors, but as it is with anything it was however you could get out of the plane.

A friend of mine was in a VX-30 C-130 when the two port liferafts deployed (they are stowed in a compartment on the upper wings), they fell from FL 24K to about 15K before they regained control of the Herc.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:32:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

We briefed paratroop doors, but as it is with anything it was however you could get out of the plane.

A friend of mine was in a VX-30 C-130 when the two port liferafts deployed (they are stowed in a compartment on the upper wings), they fell from FL 24K to about 15K before they regained control of the Herc.
View Quote
Was that the one that barrel rolled after one got caught in the elevator? TYCOM dealt with that bird too.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:36:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Was that the one that barrel rolled after one got caught in the elevator? TYCOM dealt with that bird too.
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:37:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.
Wow. That could not have been fun. Lotta crazy stories on this site.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:39:34 AM EDT
[#27]
That's horrible. 

Rest In Peace folks and thank You so much for your service.

Damn....
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:43:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Prayers for their families.

Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:44:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Family friend has an AG Flying service down here, one of his pilots flew over the crash for the sheriffs department. He said it was bad(obvious from the photos)
View Quote
That's my old AO.  To say it's very rural is an understatement, it's 20 mi in any direction to anything resembling civilization.  Nothing but beans, corn, and rice this time of year, at least it's in a bean field at the highway and not in a rice patty on a turnrow road.  

Fair winds and following seas, Marines.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:03:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
With it looking that intact but debris for miles?  Yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anybody else think it almost sounds like a midair with something? I know about the wing box issues but the wings look pretty intact to my untrained eyes
With it looking that intact but debris for miles?  Yep.
Highly unlikely in that area at that altitude.  There's a shitton of Ag and GA traffic below FL010, but everything above that is commercial/mil.  I flew GA in that area for a few years, my initial thought was 130s out of AR, it's not far from some of their training grounds.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:10:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:17:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Inverted, it just fell from the sky and landed flat.
The aircraft is relatively intact.
Aircraft that go in nose first or with any kind of forward momentum create a large hole in the ground or spread the remains of the aircraft over a large area.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:24:01 AM EDT
[#33]
First thing I thought of was a prop overspeed.  I don't know if that is still a thing but it
was mentioned when I was a EP-3E rider years past.

RIP Marines
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:09:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Same with the AF Hercs.     There was a time when they pulled them off due to wear and tear but then later put them back on.   But many of the AF Hercs mission were low level.  Not enough time typically to attempt to jump anway.   Also you only carried enough parachutes for primary crew and like one or two spares.    So if you're carrying pax, like this one appeared to be carrying, does anyone think the crew is going to jump out leaving the pax to ride it in?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:

When I was crew, we had parachutes on board but we didn't wear them unless it was mission specific. I.E the loadmasters would wear them doing airdrops. But normal routine flights no.
Same during my time on the HC-130.

And to those asking about parachutes who do not understand this, there is practically zero chance you are even going to be able to get to one if you are pinned to the hull of the aircraft by violent G forces in the kind of spin that this ship was apparently in during its death spiral.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:28:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Anyone look to see if there were any odd AirMets for violent turbulence that could have caused damage or caused the pilots to have to correct with extreme control inputs?  Flat and level at 22000 hundreds of miles from origin is just strange to have a sudden and massive failure.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:58:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Why? For this very scenario. Besides, you don't know if they were tumbling through the air uncontrollably?
View Quote
Your right,  the plane just glided there upside down and nose down very gently with parts falling off of it.  My Bad.  

Witnesses stated it was in a death spiral to the ground.  If it was in a falling spin chances are the people inside were effectively glued to the fuselage,  and/ or flying out of the broken up fuselage.  If it is not a jump mission I don't see why pax would have chutes.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Pictures make it look like it came down hard.... now 6 bodies reported, I doubt anyone survived this....  also read somewhere an engine found 1 mile north of crash site.... wonder if it had a wing failure.   
View Quote
those are my uneducated thoughts.  That smoke is pretty concentrated, making me think it came pretty steep.

I saw an F-86 crash at an air show, and that took the whole runway.

Edit: never mind, made it to page 3
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#38]
One of my brothers best friends was on that plane.

Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:22:44 AM EDT
[#39]

Prayers this morning for family, friends, and squadron mates.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:32:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Damn.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:36:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

m
View Quote
Still there on our T's in '02
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:39:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

... and up into 2007 too, when I retired. I strongly suspect they are still maintained onboard each aircraft.

That doesn't mean that there was time to don parachutes, or that any crewmembers not already strapped into their seats weren't being thrown around the cargobay like ragdolls as the aircraft departed anything resembling controlled flight.

Based on FB chatter, it looks like I've flown and worked plenty on the mishap aircraft, back in the day (VMGR-452 KC-130T BuNo 165000). No mention has been made about of who the crew was for this flight, or who their pax were.
View Quote
We had a triple nuts at 234. Same one? I don't remember the first three, but pretty sure it the same

Edit:. Now I'm thinking it was 162000
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:49:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Edited title due to conflicting reports.

4 bodies recovered so far.
C130 crash
Update
Five dead, nine on board

Update with flyover video
The latest

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96005/c130-crash-250839.JPG

Now reporting 16 dead
View Quote

Damn that's crazy. RIP to all and prayers with their families.

That is a crazy amount of ground damage. He must have tried to land the plane. God rest their souls.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Prayers for the families of the fallen.

10 years as a C-130 Loadmaster.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:06:10 AM EDT
[#46]
I have not read the entire thread, but I saw a news report saying the FBI is involved now. Any ideas on that?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have not read the entire thread, but I saw a news report saying the FBI is involved now. Any ideas on that?
View Quote
I heard the same report. Who would normally investigate a military incident? NTSB or Military? Prayers out to all involved. I've been retired since '85 - this shit still upsets me. I can't imagine how members here who worked on that aircraft or possibly knew the crew must feel. Stay strong brothers - RIP to the fallen.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Inverted, it just fell from the sky and landed flat.
The aircraft is relatively intact.
Aircraft that go in nose first or with any kind of forward momentum create a large hole in the ground or spread the remains of the aircraft over a large area.
View Quote
I agree.   The damage to the fuselage forward of the tail section suggests significant vertical force...not like you would see if the plane came in normally and flipped.

Whatever happened, they likely had zero chance to make a survivable landing.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:59:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top