Site Notices
Page / 28
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But not at a sub $70 price point.  Sure, lots of things are possible with engineering - as evidenced by super-expensive Lambos, Bugatti’s, Porsche’s and Ferrari’s.  But those companies definitely have the engineering expertise with DCTs and computers, and still you need to get close to $200K to get under 3 seconds.

So I remain skeptical.  I lived in Missouri for many years, so GM will have to “Show Me” their sub 3 second car for around $65k

... I do agree that the Nissan GTR is a great example off what CAN be done, and that it doesn’t have to be $200k to make it happen. But, the Nissan GTR still starts at around $115, which is almost twice the claimed price of the new Corvette.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LoL..no. C8 is a far cry from a super car.
0-60 < 3 seconds, >1g lateral. I'd call that pretty super.
I still do not believe that the base model c8 is a sub 3s car in 0-60.

Is this a legitimate thing that GM is claiming, or just some internet rumor that people are repeating?  

If it IS able to do 0-60 in less than 3 second, it is absolutely in the the “supercar” category, IMO.
nissan does it with the GTR. of course the GTR has awd drive but its heavy as fuk. its the computer, the gears and the dual clutch tranny that makes it possible. making the new C8 do 0..60 in under 3 seconds is simply an engineering problem that has been solved by other manufacturers. there is no reason to think that GM couldnt do the same with gearing engineered to do it, torque to make it happen and traction to keep the tires from spinning. in the end, its in the software and the DTC. the question is, does that gearing have some negative impact in other areas.
But not at a sub $70 price point.  Sure, lots of things are possible with engineering - as evidenced by super-expensive Lambos, Bugatti’s, Porsche’s and Ferrari’s.  But those companies definitely have the engineering expertise with DCTs and computers, and still you need to get close to $200K to get under 3 seconds.

So I remain skeptical.  I lived in Missouri for many years, so GM will have to “Show Me” their sub 3 second car for around $65k

... I do agree that the Nissan GTR is a great example off what CAN be done, and that it doesn’t have to be $200k to make it happen. But, the Nissan GTR still starts at around $115, which is almost twice the claimed price of the new Corvette.  
I would also like to touch upon the point about the GT-R from what I gather is really expensive to maintain, specifically the brakes.

This is actually why the vette is so special. Not only can a working person actually buy one, they can keep one on the road.

Sure...we can all wait to buy a used performance car, but then the parts and Mx starts to eat at your wallet if you can't turn a wrench.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

0 has just been divided by
View Quote
Lol my bad. I meant to say it wasn’t a wife like in that post above me.

Also, it wasn’t a female engineer on the vette team.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Exactly.   Not giving up on my Porsche Cayman GTS search, but it gives me options.  Never know, some others ahead of me might drop off.  Rep I spoke with said they will not begin regular production until Dec 2019, deliveries in Feb...so June isn't that far off.  $1000 and fully refundable, no obligation.
View Quote
Guess they're still making the hell outta C7s, still seeing carriers hauling Corvettes with the plastic covers.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just to be clear - I hope everyone doesn’t think I am loudly calling GM liars, or want the C8 to fail or anything like that.  I think the C8 Corvette looks amazing, and everything about it seems really cool.  I genuine think it’s awesome, and I want it to succeed.  

I am just SKEPTICAL about the specific claim that a car costing less than $65k can do 0-60 in less than 3 seconds.

I would love to be wrong ... even if it would emasculate my 911.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this a legitimate thing that GM is claiming, or just some internet rumor that people are repeating?  

If it IS able to do 0-60 in less than 3 second, it is absolutely in the the “supercar” category, IMO.
nissan does it with the GTR. of course the GTR has awd drive but its heavy as fuk. its the computer, the gears and the dual clutch tranny that makes it possible. making the new C8 do 0..60 in under 3 seconds is simply an engineering problem that has been solved by other manufacturers. there is no reason to think that GM couldnt do the same with gearing engineered to do it, torque to make it happen and traction to keep the tires from spinning. in the end, its in the software and the DTC. the question is, does that gearing have some negative impact in other areas.

I would also like to touch upon the point about the GT-R from what I gather is really expensive to maintain, specifically the brakes.

This is actually why the vette is so special. Not only can a working person actually buy one, they can keep one on the road.

Sure...we can all wait to buy a used performance car, but then the parts and Mx starts to eat at your wallet if you can't turn a wrench.
Just to be clear - I hope everyone doesn’t think I am loudly calling GM liars, or want the C8 to fail or anything like that.  I think the C8 Corvette looks amazing, and everything about it seems really cool.  I genuine think it’s awesome, and I want it to succeed.  

I am just SKEPTICAL about the specific claim that a car costing less than $65k can do 0-60 in less than 3 seconds.

I don't have an issue believing GM

This is why I feel that way, what are the things you need for a go fast 0-60 which are not mutually exclusive.

Power
Light weight
Traction
Gearing

a base c7 is a 3.7 0-60 car I beleive

power, GM engines make the power no debate there

Now with a C7 there's a lot of extra weight in there because the engine is ahead of the driver and the other stuff is behind.
so the C8 is probably lighter

traction, the new tires they have should be sticky icky...for illustrative purposes a c6 z06 with rag radials at sea level is a 10 second car. that's a quic 0-60

gearing...the new trans is probably going to be awesome and let you have 8 gears and you can probably pop off shits ricky tik. So that should help.

We shall see.

Don't worry about your 911 being slower, somthing will come along and be faster than the c8
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is why I feel that way, what are the things you need for a go fast 0-60 which are not mutually exclusive.

Power
Light weight
Traction
Gearing

Now with a C7 there's a lot of extra weight in there because the engine is ahead of the driver and the other stuff is behind.

traction, the new tires they have should be sticky icky...for illustrative purposes a c6 z06 with rag radials at sea level is a 10 second car. that's a quic 0-60

gearing...the new trans is probably going to be awesome and let you have 8 gears and you can probably pop off shits ricky tik. So that should help.

We shall see.

Don't worry about your 911 being slower, somthing will come along and be faster than the c8
View Quote
The C8 is heavier than C7.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Each generation of Corvette outperforms the 911 on a base model to base model comparison.  GM has so much IP in the bank, it's just not all economically viable for production at this time.

GM was doing variable displacement engines almost 40 years ago in the Cadillacs.
Stabilitrak
OnStar
Nightvision
Magnetic Selective Ride Control

It will surprise many in a few years, but GM also owns the best IP for fuel cells and that is the core of the next generation of automotive drivetrain.

The US auto manufacturers faced several headwinds since the "Nixon Shock" in 1971.

1) Oil Embargo
2) Spike in interest rates
3) Depreciating currency https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaza_Accord
4) Offshoring of manufacturing
5) Tariffs from other countries
6) Management was running the companies as HMOs

I love American and German autos, but do not care for the Japanese which are no longer even a value at prevailing market prices.  You buy German if you want the finest interior surfaces and amenities.  You buy American if you want the value.

I have no doubt the C8 performance offering will run toe to toe with the Porsche 918 on the Nurburgring for 10% of the cost.

The Japanese commoditized as much of their components to use them across their entire product portfolio.  The Japanese used thin sheet metals which saved a lot of money and weight, but the cars are destroyed by hail - the Germans used the best sheet metal, but even they have cheaped out since.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Oops. Dupe pix delete.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Power
Light weight
Traction
Gearing

We shall see.

Then it must be because of the gearing and launch management to get it to zoom on by
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Each generation of Corvette outperforms the 911 on a base model to base model comparison.  GM has so much IP in the bank, it's just not all economically viable for production at this time.

GM was doing variable displacement engines almost 40 years ago in the Cadillacs.
Stabilitrak
OnStar
Nightvision
Magnetic Selective Ride Control

It will surprise many in a few years, but GM also owns the best IP for fuel cells and that is the core of the next generation of automotive drivetrain.

The US auto manufacturers faced several headwinds since the "Nixon Shock" in 1971.

1) Oil Embargo
2) Spike in interest rates
3) Depreciating currency https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaza_Accord
4) Offshoring of manufacturing
5) Tariffs from other countries
6) Management was running the companies as HMOs

I love American and German autos, but do not care for the Japanese which are no longer even a value at prevailing market prices.  You buy German if you want the finest interior surfaces and amenities.  You buy American if you want the value.

I have no doubt the C8 performance offering will run toe to toe with the Porsche 918 on the Nurburgring for 10% of the cost.

The Japanese commoditized as much of their components to use them across their entire product portfolio.  The Japanese used thin sheet metals which saved a lot of money and weight, but the cars are destroyed by hail - the Germans used the best sheet metal, but even they have cheaped out since.
View Quote
Japanese brands have their place.

You want an appliance that should last a while and not always break, there ya go.

you want a luxury car that you can actually afford to own outside of warranty, there ya go.

The central theme for Japanese auto makers is still reliability and inexpensive to keep on the road.

My FX35 overheated and blew the head gaskets and warped the heads.

The headwork cost more than the rest of the parts I had to use to get her back going.

That includes things like a radiator, waterpump, etc.

Over the 100,000 miles I owned the car (and it's a Nissan which everyone calls the chrysler of japan) I have spent under $2500 over 100,000 miles on maintenance and repairs, this includes everything.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is absolutely true.

But, the low price definitely involve trade-offs as well.  GM manufactured cheap performance by actually being cheap in lots of places, like interior, build quality, reliability, etc.
View Quote
Their interiors really do suck.  Generally speaking, the German cars will be heavier feeling than their American and Japanese counterparts.  The American ride seems to fall in the middle of German vs. Japanese.  The Japanese car feels so light in terms of closing a door to the ride over bumps.

Truth be told, the best thing to happen to Lamborghini was for the People's Auto Group to buy them.  Lambo styling remains over the top, but they finally have the performance to back it up.  I place a lot of emphasis on Nurburgring times for evaluating performance and Lamboghini is bringing it now.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Their interiors really do suck.  Generally speaking, the German cars will be heavier feeling than their American and Japanese counterparts.  The American ride seems to fall in the middle of German vs. Japanese.  The Japanese car feels so light in terms of closing a door to the ride over bumps.

Truth be told, the best thing to happen to Lamborghini was for the People's Auto Group to buy them.  Lambo styling remains over the top, but they finally have the performance to back it up.  I place a lot of emphasis on Nurburgring times for evaluating performance and Lamboghini is bringing it now.
View Quote
The Corvette interiors improved greatly with the C7.  I had a 2016 C7/Z06 with the 1LZ trim level (lowest - $79K) and it compared very favorably with the newer used Turbo Carrera the dealership had for sale when I was in for routine service.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are 35k cars that can pretty easily surpass 1g lateral sustained. I'd imagine the c8 in stock form will be capable of more like 1.8-2g lateral sustained with good tires, not even slicks.

I love the new c8 personally. I really hope it brings the price of used c7s down a bit because I'd love to make a c7 my new time attack chassis.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There are 35k cars that can pretty easily surpass 1g lateral sustained. I'd imagine the c8 in stock form will be capable of more like 1.8-2g lateral sustained with good tires, not even slicks.

I love the new c8 personally. I really hope it brings the price of used c7s down a bit because I'd love to make a c7 my new time attack chassis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think there's any street car that can approach those levels of grip. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't think there's any street car that can approach those levels of grip. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
View Quote
You are wrong, not being an ass, just informing you like you asked.

I have data logs from when my car was bone stock, sustaining 1.3g through some of the more aggressive corners at road Atlanta and AMP.

Now that I’ve changed some things related to suspension and tire, and reduced weight (+ slight aero changes) I sustain 1.6-1.8g lateral in those same turns.

After my GT wing and splitter are installed later next week, I suspect my next logs from September will show more like 1.9-2g lateral sustained.

I’ve shared my logs and data on this site a few times, so if you’re curious just search them up. I’m on my phone otherwise I’d do it. But I’ll snag them tomorrow and post them up.

Point is, I think the chassis will handle much more than 1g in stock form, and MUCH more after some slight modding.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have data logs from when my car was bone stock, sustaining 1.3g through some of the more aggressive corners at road Atlanta and AMP.

Now that I’ve changed some things related to suspension and tire, and reduced weight (+ slight aero changes) I sustain 1.6-1.8g lateral in those same turns.

After my GT wing and splitter are installed later next week, I suspect my next logs from September will show more like 1.9-2g lateral sustained.

I’ve shared my logs and data on this site a few times, so if you’re curious just search them up. I’m on my phone otherwise I’d do it. But I’ll snag them tomorrow and post them up.

Point is, I think the chassis will handle much more than 1g in stock form, and MUCH more after some slight modding.
View Quote
1.3g bone stock.... That's impressive. I remember, seems like just a few years ago C5 vett's were I think like 1.2xg and that was news.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Lots of women engineers, none that can drive...
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just to be clear - I hope everyone doesn't think I am loudly calling GM liars, or want the C8 to fail or anything like that.  I think the C8 Corvette looks amazing, and everything about it seems really cool.  I genuine think it's awesome, and I want it to succeed.  

View Quote
Here is how I feel about the claim. They have tremendous reputational risk to claim that then not deliver. I get it's mid engine and still a tremendous value, but with the pre order volume if they don't deliver the blowback would be huge. You'd think there would be a video rather than their word. That said the formula makes me think they achieved it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That's an official thing?

Holy crap.  To get under 3 seconds is insane, and for only $5k on top of an already VERY low base model price?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it IS able to do 0-60 in less than 3 second, it is absolutely in the the "supercar" category, IMO.
Z51 package. Add $5k to the price.
That's an official thing?

Holy crap.  To get under 3 seconds is insane, and for only $5k on top of an already VERY low base model price?  
GM is historically conservative with published power and performance numbers.  If they publish under 3.0 for a certain trim level, under 3.0 will be possible with the car as-is, just using launch control and assuming a decent road surface.

Not sure if it is officially published yet or not but if you see it, you can bet a case of pmags the car will do it.

GM fucks a lot of stuff up but performance stats are not one of them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously? It would emasculate your 911? As a former vette owner I can assure you...GM has numerous craptacular
things to irritate and FAIL. Cars from the Fatherland are much nicer and horrific to buy parts for...but they lack
cheap plastic bits that fail and generally shit trim.

Suck it up buttercup...you drive a new 911 variant...you are supposed to be smug and intolerable.

Best wishes! I was pricing used Ferraris recently...100k can get one a pretty sweet example here in NC.
 I decided against it...I don't want to be the guy living in my Ferrari down by the river!
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is absolutely true.

But, the low price definitely involve trade-offs as well.  GM manufactured cheap performance by actually being cheap in lots of places, like interior, build quality, reliability, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Each generation of Corvette outperforms the 911 on a base model to base model comparison.  
This is absolutely true.

Compared to other GM vehicles they are pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

But not at a sub $70 price point.  Sure, lots of things are possible with engineering - as evidenced by super-expensive Lambos, Bugatti’s, Porsche’s and Ferrari’s.  But those companies definitely have the engineering expertise with DCTs and computers, and still you need to get close to $200K to get under 3 seconds.    For example, Porsche absolutely KNOW how to build a car that can get to 60 in under 3 seconds.  But you aren’t getting THAT engineering in a base 911 for $100k.

View Quote
You are forgetting that the GTR started at $69,850 in 2008.
When Nissan saw that they were selling for $10,000-$15,000 over list on the secondary market they increased the price for 2009  up to $76,840.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Does the C8 have a fiberglass body?
Aluminum suspension?
Titanium connecting rods.  I have not seen mention of these so far.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 11:53:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Does the C8 have a fiberglass body?
Aluminum suspension?
Titanium connecting rods.  I have not seen mention of these so far.
View Quote
Yes
Yes
IDK  <- usually only see those in the Z06 or ZR1
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Does it still have leaf springs?
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
GM is historically conservative with published power and performance numbers.  If they publish under 3.0 for a certain trim level, under 3.0 will be possible with the car as-is, just using launch control and assuming a decent road surface.

Not sure if it is officially published yet or not but if you see it, you can bet a case of pmags the car will do it.

GM fucks a lot of stuff up but performance stats are not one of them.
View Quote
this is true.  GM doesn't inflate stats as a rule.  Things like HP are usually under rated if anything.  The LS3 was rated for something like 430 horse...most were closer to 480 when dyno'd under SAE conditions.

Same with tow ratings on trucks. There is an entire generation of GM diesel trucks that out pull competitors rated for 10k more. Which is a horsepower thing again.  GM does make good motors.

I want to see it tested.  I'll probably do it..but that is still an amazing number for a RWD  vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes
Yes
IDK  <- usually only see those in the Z06 or ZR1
View Quote
I believe the LT2 is still a steel (PM) rod. Ti rods were ls7 and ls9..haven't seen any pankl hardware show up in the LTs yet.

the pankl rods from the LS9 are really nice parts...like $700/rod nice.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
No
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No
Yes, coil overs now.  BTW the previous generation "leaf springs" were nothing like your old 80's F150 leaf springs either.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes, coil overs now.  BTW the previous generation "leaf springs" were nothing like your old 80's F150 leaf springs either.
View Quote
correct.  I think the people that invented mag shocks, use spool valves in the 1LE and can make a car that big hustle around the ring in 7 minutes probably know how to make a suspension..leaf springs or not.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
correct.  I think the people that invented mag shocks, use spool valves in the 1LE and can make a car that big hustle around the ring in 7 minutes probably know how to make a suspension..leaf springs or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magnetic shocks are awesome, by the way. Make a 2-ton car feel like it's not.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 9:22:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've never owned a vehicle with them but they are pretty cool.  Does Ferrari still license them from GM?  I seem to be seeing other brands advertise the same tech...did someone else find a way to do it or did the patent expire?  they've been around for a while..started with Cadillac right?
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
1.3g bone stock.... That's impressive. I remember, seems like just a few years ago C5 vett's were I think like 1.2xg and that was news.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm betting (guessing, really) that the 1.2g result was on stock tires, and it looks like the c5 z06 came with eagle f1's, which aren't all that grippy for their 220utqg and just not that great in general. I bet with a better tire even a c5 could do 1.5g with the right driver.

But yeah, suspension and chassis development has come a long, long way in the last decade and cornering ability of some cars right off the lot is staggering. I mean my car is a honda civic type R, granted it is modded to be a time attack car, but it has enough grip and chassis stiffness that if I'm trail braking into a turn it will actually float a rear tire. I have some neat pictures of the rear passenger tire hovering above the ground due to weight transfer to the drivers front side while trail braking.

If cars are becoming this good even now, can't wait to see how they'll be even 5 years from now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#37]
10 bones says its has more orange peel than any other paint job since the last vette.  Horrible paint jobs, I could do better with a roller.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Power
Light weight
Traction
Gearing

We shall see.

That extra weight is all on the rear wheels now, more traction is pretty much what every high HP car needs to go faster.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm betting (guessing, really) that the 1.2g result was on stock tires, and it looks like the c5 z06 came with eagle f1's, which aren't all that grippy for their 220utqg and just not that great in general. I bet with a better tire even a c5 could do 1.5g with the right driver.

But yeah, suspension and chassis development has come a long, long way in the last decade and cornering ability of some cars right off the lot is staggering. I mean my car is a honda civic type R, granted it is modded to be a time attack car, but it has enough grip and chassis stiffness that if I'm trail braking into a turn it will actually float a rear tire. I have some neat pictures of the rear passenger tire hovering above the ground due to weight transfer to the drivers front side while trail braking.

If cars are becoming this good even now, can't wait to see how they'll be even 5 years from now.
View Quote
well loading up/setting the chassis is the point of trail braking so that's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
10 bones says its has more orange peel than any other paint job since the last vette.  Horrible paint jobs, I could do better with a roller.
View Quote
For all the money you saved you can pay someone to cut the clear and polish it out.

Just saying.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
The silver paint on my 2016 Z06 was perfect.

What year was your's and what were the flaws in the paint?
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've never owned a vehicle with them but they are pretty cool.  Does Ferrari still license them from GM?  I seem to be seeing other brands advertise the same tech...did someone else find a way to do it or did the patent expire?  they've been around for a while..started with Cadillac right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it started there.

MagneRide started with Delphi, but it’s owned by Beijing West Industries now. I don’t know if Ferrari still uses it, but the newest high level Mustangs have it.

I think it’s at the point where some outfits (Mercedes) are scanning the road in front of the car to set the suspension. Proactive instead of reactive.

ETA: Audi, Acura, Range Rover, Lamborghini, and Ferrari use it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Show us your 65k car's paint job
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yes, it started there.

MagneRide started with Delphi, but it's owned by Beijing West Industries now. I don't know if Ferrari still uses it, but the newest high level Mustangs have it.

I think it's at the point where some outfits (Mercedes) are scanning the road in front of the car to set the suspension. Proactive instead of reactive.

ETA: Audi, Acura, Range Rover, Lamborghini, and Ferrari use it.
View Quote
Rolls even uses GPS maps to tune the transmission for upcoming turns and terrain. Technology is amazing nowadays
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 2:44:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Meh,
Looks good... but waiting for the C8 Z06 or Zora/ZR1... and for GM to fix any teething issues especially with a DCT... and cooling with a mid engine car....
View Quote
Rumor is the Zora variant will be the hybridized ICE rear/e-drive front.  If true, the Z06 will be the true "pure" version (ie. I dislike hybrids).  A full on electric version would be the game changer model, though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Rumor is the Zora variant will be the hybridized ICE rear/e-drive front.  If true, the Z06 will be the true "pure" version (ie. I dislike hybrids).  A full on electric version would be the game changer model, though.
View Quote
I'm cool with a hybrid like you see in racing...but they can stick the pure electric up their ass...
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm cool with a hybrid like you see in racing...but they can stick the pure electric up their ass...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes you wonder who Rimac has licensed their technology to.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magnets are the future, and should be welcomed.

"...The Model S delivers immediate and scorching acceleration both from a standstill and at any speed. All trim levels have a top speed of 155 mph and come with two electric motors and a 100-kilowatt-hours lithium-ion battery pack. The principal differences between the trims are acceleration rates and range. The base Model S (previously called the 100D) can drive up to 370 miles on a single charge and goes from zero to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds. It has an mpg-equivalent rating of 111 combined city/highway.

The Model S Performance, formerly known as the P100D, can reach 60 mph in 2.4 seconds. It has an estimated range of 345 miles and a 104 MPGe rating..."

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/tesla/model-s/performance
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

"...The Model S delivers immediate and scorching acceleration both from a standstill and at any speed. All trim levels have a top speed of 155 mph and come with two electric motors and a 100-kilowatt-hours lithium-ion battery pack. The principal differences between the trims are acceleration rates and range. The base Model S (previously called the 100D) can drive up to 370 miles on a single charge and goes from zero to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds. It has an mpg-equivalent rating of 111 combined city/highway.

The Model S Performance, formerly known as the P100D, can reach 60 mph in 2.4 seconds. It has an estimated range of 345 miles and a 104 MPGe rating..."

View Quote
tesla is gayer than cum on a moustache and elon is a bullshit artist.  Tesla engineering sucks donkey balls. The tech is fine...fastest stack of 18650s going but there is none of the intangible passion that makes a driving and owning experience...its a dildo on wheels.

same problem with formula E..tech is neat but watching a race is fucking ridiculous.

Tesla is great for commuting...nobody is buying a mid engine corvette because they want a commuter car.

using the exact same tech in a hybrid setup is a whole different animal, you get awd, no range or charge issues, the sensory joy of an actual engine along with it.  I have no issue with that, pure electric just sucks for a fun car..
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's fun.

2017 Tesla Model S P100D Launch Mode Reaction Compilation

0-60 in 2.3 seconds will put a smile on your face.
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top