Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
To begin with, if you ask any BUD/S grad it is more mental then physical and after Hell week, it is the water work that gets them.  

Stay home eat chips and be the couch operator almost all of were meant to be.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn first time I owned a page
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m not arguing with anyone, I don’t have anything to prove.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meanwhile you regret not joining the USMC and you're arguing dive training with a no shit 0321.
I’m not arguing with anyone, I don’t have anything to prove.
You have a picture of yourself posing as your avatar and you're near incapable of discussing anything besides exercising on arfcom. You definitely have something to prove.

Fun fact: body dismorphia doesn't just affect cheerleaders.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Shit posting and shit talking aside, what would you say the SEALs are good at?
View Quote
I am no expert and there are people on the board who could speak to it far more in-depth and intelligently than I, but once upon a time they had a wonderful niche carved out doing frogman shit.  Now, they've turned themselves into the do-everything crew, and realistically when you have no foundation in doing extensive land-based things you are never going to be all that great at doing land-based things.  The problem with that fact tho is that when you're engaged in a decade+ long war against terrorists in a landlocked nation, you won't sniff those sweet sweet dollars if your missions are geared towards pirates and taking oil platforms and such.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This thread reminded me of something.

AF CCT have that same problem, and a very, very small pass rate. Yet their rep seems waaaay better.

I wonder if using media as a recruitment tool has kinda fucked the SEALs in regards to who decides to join them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Over 20% give it a yes so far. That's pretty damn impressive for any segment of the population.
You mean like an average BUD/S class then?

lol.
A BUD/S class only recruits from the Navy, no wonder only 20% make it. Arfcom, with all its fatties and headcases, is still a better recruiting pool for "commandos" than the blue side Navy is.

This thread reminded me of something.

AF CCT have that same problem, and a very, very small pass rate. Yet their rep seems waaaay better.

I wonder if using media as a recruitment tool has kinda fucked the SEALs in regards to who decides to join them.
Charlie Sheen didnt play an AFSOF dude while he was clearing buildings in Beirut.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Served? I was going through Marine Combatant Diver while you were busy ripping people off with your knife business.

You washed out of MEPS, hahahahha

Don't talk to me about laughable
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

Coming to the surface gets you an instant no go, pack your shit, see you next class in a military dive course

Not that you would know anything about that
Coming to the surface was a requirement.

Staying on bottom was the prerequisite to the full ditch-ascend-recover exercise. Staying on the bottom is easier, not harder.

I swear the whole “I served so I’m more X than you” is so fucking laughable.
Served? I was going through Marine Combatant Diver while you were busy ripping people off with your knife business.

Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I like to think I could handle the mental part.  As in, I would never quit.  They'd have to carry me out of there.

But even in the best shape of my life, I don't think I could have done the phyisical stuff enough to keep up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Right now.  Mentally yes, physically nope

Back in my early 20's it would have been reversed. Physically yes, mentally I would have said fuck this.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Over 20% give it a yes so far. That's pretty damn impressive for any segment of the population.
View Quote
The poll results are absolutely absurd.  This thread seriously needs to be tacked as a reminder of what kind of bullshit one can expect from GD.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am no expert and there are people on the board who could speak to it far more in-depth and intelligently than I, but once upon a time they had a wonderful niche carved out doing frogman shit.  Now, they've turned themselves into the do-everything crew, and realistically when you have no foundation in doing extensive land-based things you are never going to be all that great at doing land-based things.  The problem with that fact tho is that when you're engaged in a decade+ long war against terrorists in a landlocked nation, you won't sniff those sweet sweet dollars if your missions are geared towards pirates and taking oil platforms and such.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hindsight being 20/20 I wonder if it may have been a better plan to keep UDT instead of SEALs to lesson the mission creep.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Nope.

Thirty years ago?  Maybe, but most likely not.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#12]
20 years ago physically sure mentally no.
These days mentally sure physically no. And honestly I'm in pretty damn good shape but that shit is no joke
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#14]
26% of GD thinks they could complete bud/s?

That fits almost perfectly with the prevalence of delusional posters and conspiracy theorists we see here daily.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know if I would pass, but I could certainly give it an honest try. Years ago I was getting pretty overweight (at least, for me) from a job that has me sitting 90% of the day. I got really serious about doing something about it. Shed 44 pounds, got toned, and went from terrible endurance to being able to run a 5K in four months. Swore off of most carbs, didn't touch alcohol or soft drinks or bread for four months. Given an extra 14 months on top of that I'm sure I could get myself in a good position to at least take a serious stab at BUD/S.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Hindsight being 20/20 I wonder if it may have been a better plan to keep UDT instead of SEALs to lesson the mission creep.
View Quote
I think they're pretty happy with how its all turned out for them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The poll results are absolutely absurd.  This thread seriously needs to be tacked as a reminder of what kind of bullshit one can expect from GD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm actually disappointed that the number is that low.  It shows a lack of self confidence among our membership.

After all, 100% of squids who show up to BUDS think they can pass BUDS.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ones I met working our AO lived up to the core competency of being shit hot at infiltration and exfiltration.  Where their shit falls apart is doing straight grunt stuff. I've talked to other dudes who had the same experiences my unit did, having seals and SF work the AO and experiences are pretty much always the same, with the agreement that SEALS would benefit those they work near or get supported by, by having an infantry package as part of training to better integrate with supporting forces.
Always fun when you hear TIC in your AO, but no one is out, and you have to call higher then find out after 10-15 minutes of the telephone game it may or may not be seals going after an HVT. The whole time you kind of hope it's no big deal because years of gwot lore lets you know you're one step away from a huge cock up. It's a huge sigh of relief when word comes down they left the AO.

Opposite of that, when an A-team rolls though they make everyone feel like champs and supporting actors by checking into the AO, glad handing with everyone, and being cool guys.  They pass off all the deets, Like you WANT to roll out to help them if they get in a sticky spot cause they make it so easy.  Like you're the plucky sidekick or some shit.   

It's so opposite of feeling between the two. 

Then there's the ricky recon guys.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm actually disappointed that the number is that low.  It shows a lack of self confidence among our membership.

After all, 100% of squids who show up to BUDS think they can pass BUDS.  
View Quote
Same could be said for Marines and Corpsman in MARSOC... or any branch and school....

Not MARSOC below.... ETA: I know you would know that, but just clarifying for folks that dont have the EGA.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The ones I met working our AO lived up to the core competency of being shit hot at infiltration and exfiltration.  Where their shit falls apart is doing straight grunt stuff. I've talked to other dudes who had the same experiences my unit did, having seals and SF work the AO and experiences are pretty much always the same, with the agreement that SEALS would benefit those they work near or get supported by, by having an infantry package as part of training to better integrate with supporting forces.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Or simply having said folks be heavily involved in PLANNING their land based operations.  That seems to be the biggest issue of them all.

Quoted:
Then there's the ricky recon guys.  
Whoa, easy, EASY there fella.......

Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Same could be said for Marines and Corpsman in MARSOC... or any branch and school....
View Quote
Naturally.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I actually think more people COULD pass than this poll shows and I think more people COULD pass on real life. Most of them hit a mental roadblock which turns into 'I WON'T pass'
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#23]
If you can't hold your breath for about two minutes,  don't answer yes.

Sincerely:  the guy who could easily  max the USMC PFT, had an 03 MOS, can swim miles in open water even now,  25 years later,  but couldn't get into recon.

I simply ain't "drownproofable"
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Of course I could. Hell, I'm only 66 years old.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#25]
LOL SEALs .... easy. try foreign legion, thats where real mean go to be warriors.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Never.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:41:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Not a chance in hell unless it involved peeps and cola. I am old and out of shape
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Certainly not now.... physically.
In my 20's I think I could have done it, physically.

Doubt I'd ever have wanted it enough to push through mentally.... so NO is the correct answer.

ZA
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#29]
At 50, I'd need 18 months and a time machine.  So no.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Yup, if I’m my 20’s sans TBI.  MCIWS and being an 03 makes me feel good about this.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Nope. I hate the fucking water. 18 months of prep wouldn't change that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#32]
21% yes? LOL.

Do 21% of people selected for BUD/S even pass?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Of course I could. Hell, I'm only 66 years old.
View Quote
And that's the type of confidence that makes America great. Fuck the doubters. "Prolly not, I'm old and can't swim." Bunch of BS if ya ask me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Not now, not then. That training is brutal.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Even with 18 months, I don't think I could pass BUD/S, and I damn sure couldn't

pass Selection.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Nope, my classmates are doing the SEAL Screener this month ironically (vying for SOAS, Service Assignment and an eventual BUD/S date if all goes well)

I feel that you really, truthfully have to want it to succeed. USNA has roughly an 80% pass rate of Ensigns at BUD/S BTW.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:04:37 PM EDT
[#38]
How much ibuprofen, tramadol, and muscle relaxers could I take?

Would I be allowed to go home every night and soak in the bathtub?

Is my orthopedic surgeon on base?

I'm in pretty good shape, but I'm in my 40's with a lot of miles so this is important.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

Coming to the surface gets you an instant no go, pack your shit, see you next class in a military dive course

Not that you would know anything about that
Coming to the surface was a requirement.

Staying on bottom was the prerequisite to the full ditch-ascend-recover exercise. Staying on the bottom is easier, not harder.

I swear the whole “I served so I’m more X than you” is so fucking laughable.

I want to hear more about the knife business.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
LOL SEALs .... easy. try foreign legion, thats where real mean go to be warriors.
View Quote
Kay.  We will assume you know what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#41]
No.  Since I'm blind, not at any time in my life, either.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If your wife could convince you I'm sure the instructors would have done the same thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I voted yes. Especially if I'm in my early 20's and single, no family or life commitments, etc.  I seriously considered going that route, but the wife convinced me not to.
If your wife could convince you I'm sure the instructors would have done the same thing.
Probably, but being a family man is foundational to my value system.  A man can't serve two masters. I chose to have a family...I'm going to "family" the fuck outta life and never quit. Had that not been a factor, serving in the Navy would have replaced it. I don't quit...I might have drowned, but I would have drowned trying.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#43]
If you’re worried about your PT. You already failed.  Regardless, selections are about focus and desire. Not the numbers.

Could I pass the BUD/S pt standards in 18 months time - sure. Could I pass BUD/S as a whole? No, because I have no desire to.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:23:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I think the point really is that people are capable of a lot more than they ever think, because they aren't willing to put in the work. Of course you're right, that there's still a limit...but IMO it's much beyond what most people think it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
most people have no idea what they can do and what they cant do

or even what they'd be good at or not good at

I can't tell you how many times bright minded people have told me that they started engineering school but "they couldn't handle the math"

the truth is that they couldn't handle sitting there working the problems until it clicked, which might take 2 or 3 hours per assignment

I can't do it = I don't feel like doing it

suppose they locked you in a jail cell with four calculus books and said you can leave when you get an A+ in all four courses

most people with an IQ over about 110 could leave jail eventually.  might take some of them 5 years but it would happen

so who knows?  maybe it all comes down to desire

if desire > pain, maybe you could do it
Cute, but false.

Some folks just can’t intuitively grasp higher math to the right level, no matter how much they want to or how much time/effort they put in.

Some folks, no matter how much they try, or how much they want it, or how much they train, will ever run a 6:00 mile, or have a 40” vertical, or hold their breath for 2:00, or be able to tote a ruck for 20 miles.

Desire and will count for a lot, but not everyone has the same physical or mental capabilities.  That’s just fact.

“And the weak died along the way...” or so says the EOD/diver shirt a buddy of mine wears....
I think the point really is that people are capable of a lot more than they ever think, because they aren't willing to put in the work. Of course you're right, that there's still a limit...but IMO it's much beyond what most people think it is.
Exactly

I'm not saying that everyone could pass a very rigorous test if they have enough desire.

I'm saying that the first words out of most people's mouths are "I could never be good at..."

People never find out what they're good at because they never try and they never give themselves permission to learn.

Beginnings are hard and learning means starting out as a flop and most people can't tolerate being a flop

You might be an excellent public speaker but you'll never know it because you'll never allow yourself to train for it, because that first speech will be a mess.  Or will it?

etc

I'm sure you know a person who sucked ass at something and then eventually became excellent at it by doggedly not giving up.

It's too bad that more people don't walk that same path.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What was it like?

Any pointers for the young guys?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I voted yes. Especially if I'm in my early 20's and single, no family or life commitments, etc. I seriously considered going that route, but the wife convinced me not to.
What was it like?

I passed the NC highway patrol POPAT with superlative ratings and 0 preparation. Embarrassed some veterans. Pointers? Don't let military experience go to your head. You guys do know what crayons taste like, I'll give you that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
To begin with, if you ask any BUD/S grad it is more mental then physical and after Hell week, it is the water work that gets them.  

Stay home eat chips and be the couch operator almost all of were meant to be.
View Quote
what are you?

what are you doing tonight?  winning a triathelon?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I passed the NC highway patrol POPAT with superlative ratings and 0 preparation. Embarrassed some veterans. Pointers? Don't let military experience go to your head. You guys do know what crayons taste like, I'll give you that.
View Quote
And we can draw dicks all over things.  

Don't let your ability to pass a civilian cop thingy get to your head.  Not every "veteran" has time on a two-way range.  I'm pretty sure you didn't embarrass a bunch of Rangers and Force guys.

Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Damn first time I owned a page
View Quote
guess again
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I voted yes. Especially if I'm in my early 20's and single, no family or life commitments, etc. I seriously considered going that route, but the wife convinced me not to.
What was it like?

this whole thread is comedy gold
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Knowing what it takes, and at 55 with one lung and six rebuilt ribs, the other 3 healed without intervention,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no.
Wouldn't get past the first 30 seconds.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top