BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 8:39:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh boy, yes, by all means quote the Southern Poverty Law Center as a source of information.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
defiant nuisance group that games the system ( some could argue that illegals, h1bs, etc. do too ).  when i have read about a "sovereign citizen", i think if you 'f' with bull, you get the horns. they get the horns.

selected lol

splc sovereign citizens movement

Paper terrorism

The weapon of choice for sovereign citizens is paper. A simple traffic violation or pet-licensing case can end up provoking dozens of court filings containing hundreds of pages of pseudo-legal nonsense. For example, Donna Lee Wray   the common-law wife of Jerry Kane, who was half of the team that killed the two police officers in West Memphis, Arkansas, in 2010   was involved in a protracted legal battle in 2010 over having to pay a dog-licensing fee. She filed 10 sovereign documents in court over a two-month period and then declared victory when the harried prosecutor decided to drop the case. The battle was fought over a three-year dog license that costs just $20 in Pinellas County, Florida, where the sovereign lives.

Oh boy, yes, by all means quote the Southern Poverty Law Center as a source of information.

A broken clock is right twice a day.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone here that has said come and take'em, or "will not comply", is a sovereign citizen to some degree. But I am sure 99.99% of the people here are not the types roll around with license plate made from paper plates and crayon writing.
View Quote

Exactly.

Kookiness aside, we should all view ourselves as sovereign to a large degree.

Gold fringes notwithstanding, of course.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We definitely have members here, who are retarded enough.
View Quote

Hell, why not?

We've got flat-earthers, too!
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If thinking you don't need a license to have a dog is a Sovereign Citizen, then sign me up.
View Quote

Don't forget taking one of the king's deer on your land.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The opposite ends of the spectrum are "Sovereign Citizens" and "Statist Authoritarians"

ARFCOM has way more of one than the other, and is worse for it.

View Quote

Good point.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I took this picture the other day. He probably saves a lot on registration fees.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If thinking you don't need a license to have a dog is a Sovereign Citizen, then sign me up.

That argument is a stupid one. They aren't the king's deer, they are the people's deer.

They just happen to be on your land right now.

If they were the king's deer then we wouldn't be allowed to take any.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Like it or not, Social Security is a voluntary program. If it wasn't a voluntary program, you would be assigned a number at birth and it would be stamped on your birth certificate. It's not, you signed up for it and told the federal government you were going to rely on them and freely sanctioned them removing a decent percentage of your income.

In all likelihood when my son turns 17, he'll go sign up and get a card. But maybe he won't. Maybe he will become a missionary and never step foot in the US again. The maybe's are endless. If HE makes the decision to do it, it's his decision. Would you sign up your child to an irrevocable retirement scheme today that would follow them the rest of their life, oh yea don't forget it's going broke, if it wasn't with the federal government?

Could I have invested the money from the child tax credit for him and had it produce benefits, yes. I have investments for him currently so he's not missing out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explain it to me like I'm a child. How does having a SSN tether your child's future to the govt?  What benefits does your son receive if he chooses to be self employed or a career that does not contribute to SS?  I have a friend that is a firefighter and he does not contribute to SS, though I am not sure if he could have been hired without an SSN.

Would 14 (eventually 18) yrs of the child tax credit invested and provided your son with a better opportunity?
Like it or not, Social Security is a voluntary program. If it wasn't a voluntary program, you would be assigned a number at birth and it would be stamped on your birth certificate. It's not, you signed up for it and told the federal government you were going to rely on them and freely sanctioned them removing a decent percentage of your income.

In all likelihood when my son turns 17, he'll go sign up and get a card. But maybe he won't. Maybe he will become a missionary and never step foot in the US again. The maybe's are endless. If HE makes the decision to do it, it's his decision. Would you sign up your child to an irrevocable retirement scheme today that would follow them the rest of their life, oh yea don't forget it's going broke, if it wasn't with the federal government?

Could I have invested the money from the child tax credit for him and had it produce benefits, yes. I have investments for him currently so he's not missing out.

Do you have a SS number ?
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oh, just things.... like the following I have for my kid.

Bank Account
Prepaid College Account
529 Savings Account
Medical Insurance Coverage

She's a toddler and we're setting her up to where when she reaches 18, she already has an advantage. Next step in a few years is to get her an investment property that is under her name with us as the executors until she reaches adulthood. So she'll have her own business, making her money, and she can capitalize on that and us it to grow even further.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now list all the things you needed a social security number for as a child.
Oh, just things.... like the following I have for my kid.

Bank Account
Prepaid College Account
529 Savings Account
Medical Insurance Coverage

She's a toddler and we're setting her up to where when she reaches 18, she already has an advantage. Next step in a few years is to get her an investment property that is under her name with us as the executors until she reaches adulthood. So she'll have her own business, making her money, and she can capitalize on that and us it to grow even further.
That is a solid plan and your daughter is lucky to have someone that is forward thinking enough to set her up for success. One thing that I didn't mention is my situation might be a little different than a lot of folks. Because of that my son will still enjoy the advantages that you are creating for your daughter, even though he didn't get a SS number at birth.

Also, I am a little shocked at the attitude of the majority of the folks in this thread. It's not like I'm denying my child medical treatment. There are a LOT of things that are "easier" if you just "go along". The folks in this thread have proven most of you would get in any line if commanded to by "authority" without a second thought. Sorry, I'm not that guy.

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explain it to me like I'm a child. How does having a SSN tether your child's future to the govt?  What benefits does your son receive if he chooses to be self employed or a career that does not contribute to SS?  I have a friend that is a firefighter and he does not contribute to SS, though I am not sure if he could have been hired without an SSN.

Would 14 (eventually 18) yrs of the child tax credit invested and provided your son with a better opportunity?

Yep, sure do. I covered that in a previous post. I got it myself when I thought I needed it and I've had it ever since. I've not tallied how much I've paid over the years in to SS but I max it out every year and have for a long time. So not only do I pay SS, I'm likely paying for your grandma.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#11]
The "am I being detained" phrase has nothing to do with SCs.

I have almost a 1000 unanswered messages from people currently asking me to look at their legal issues, mostly involving the police. I'd guess probably 1, maybe 2 of those, involve actual SCs. I hear from a lot of people, and I'd say they are actually pretty rare.

Part of the problem is that police training must focus on SCs quite a lot. Sort of like the white supremacy threat that exists all around us, according to the federal government and the SPLC.

I see many examples of people being wrongly accused of being SCs, or labeled as SCs by cops. You can look at the Wilkey case out of KY for instance.

The "am I being detained" phrase serves an important person, as cops are taught to use/abuse so-called "consensual encounters" to effectively detain someone without ever triggering 4A protections. Technically they are free to leave, but the cop isn't going to tell them that. Many people assume otherwise and just answer questions and go along with it. Asking the question forces them to be honest and triggers your 4A protections. It's no different than asking for a lawyer, pleading the 5th, etc. Asserting your constitutional rights. Doesn't really have anything to do with SCs.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, it’s not voluntary.  It is mandatory except in certain limited employment situations OR an individual seeks a waiver on religious grounds and the employer already has a waiver on religious grounds.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The "am I being detained" phrase has nothing to do with SCs.

I have almost a 1000 unanswered messages from people currently asking me to look at their legal issues, mostly involving the police. I'd guess probably 1, maybe 2 of those, involve actual SCs. I hear from a lot of people, and I'd say they are actually pretty rare.

Part of the problem is that police training must focus on SCs quite a lot. Sort of like the white supremacy threat that exists all around us, according to the federal government and the SPLC.

I see many examples of people being wrongly accused of being SCs, or labeled as SCs by cops. You can look at the Wilkey case out of KY for instance.

The "am I being detained" phrase serves an important person, as cops are taught to use/abuse so-called "consensual encounters" to effectively detain someone without ever triggering 4A protections. Technically they are free to leave, but the cop isn't going to tell them that. Many people assume otherwise and just answer questions and go along with it. Asking the question forces them to be honest and triggers your 4A protections. It's no different than asking for a lawyer, pleading the 5th, etc. Asserting your constitutional rights. Doesn't really have anything to do with SCs.
View Quote

I am a huge advocate of my rights.  I have not had many encounters with the police but I have made it clear twice that I don't consent to any searches.  Based on my son's recent gun purchases I will not be surprised if the ATF does a visit to verify if he still has them.  We will be invoking our 4th and 5th amendment rights if they show up. That doesn't make me a sovereign citizen but I have been asked more than once if I was when I have discussions with people about bringing up your rights.  Nope, as a citizen of the USA I am simply invoking my rights that I have.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No, it's not voluntary.  It is mandatory except in certain limited employment situations OR an individual seeks a waiver on religious grounds and the employer already has a waiver on religious grounds.
View Quote
If it's mandatory, why don't they just issue you a social security number at birth? Why do you have to apply for it? You seem knowledgeable, it's a serious question.

ETA
Nevermind, you're wrong  at least according to the Social Security Administration.
Link
2nd page 4th paragraph 1st Sentence.

"Getting an SSN for your newborn is voluntary, but may be necessary to obtain important services, such as those listed above, for your child."

Still completely voluntary
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If it's mandatory, why don't they just issue you a social security number at birth? Why do you have to apply for it? You seem knowledgeable, it's a serious question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's not voluntary.  It is mandatory except in certain limited employment situations OR an individual seeks a waiver on religious grounds and the employer already has a waiver on religious grounds.

Because it's not really mandatory until you start doing adult things.

You can get working papers at 14 in NY, and at that point you will have SS and FICA withheld from your earnings. If they aren't working yet, then they'll need it by 16 to get a driver's license.

Or as the other guy said, you won't be able to set up any kind of savings plans through a bank without one at any point before that.

There is just no way an average adult can get by without one, so it's a silly argument to say "It's their choice"....it's not, they don't have a choice, you just delayed the inevitable for them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You can get working papers at 14 in NY, and at that point you will have SS and FICA withheld from your earnings. If they aren't working yet, then they'll need it by 16 to get a driver's license.

Or as the other guy said, you won't be able to set up any kind of savings plans through a bank without one at any point before that.

There is just no way an average adult can get by without one, so it's a silly argument to say "It's their choice"....it's not, they don't have a choice, you just delayed the inevitable for them.
View Quote
I wanted to point out something interesting. Everywhere you look, everything you sign up for indicates you HAVE to have a social security number. If you look at a Brochure from the LA DMV they will say you have to have a SS number to get a license.

Let's look at what the LA law looks like in relation to that requirement.

(vi) Social security number. Any alien individual residing in Louisiana who does not possess and is ineligible to obtain a social security number shall not be required to furnish a social security number for issuance of a Class "E" driver's license. However, prior to the issuance of a Class "E" driver's license, in addition to other required documentation, the department shall require the alien individual to present a document demonstrating lawful presence in the United States in a status in which the alien individual may be ineligible to obtain a social security number. The list of acceptable documents demonstrating lawful presence shall be determined by the department. The department shall maintain confidentiality of an applicant's social security number. The department shall not deny any person a driver's license or a renewal if that person has not obtained a government-issued social security number based on Section 7 of Pub. L. 93-579 Section (a)(1).

If you read that you come away thinking "Dang, I need to have a SS number to get a drivers license. But  it doesn't say anywhere in that text you are required to have one to actually get a license. It doesn't say it anywhere. If you read it believing you have to have one you'll see it. Actually, it's not there. That requirement doesn't legally exist.

Most if not all of the laws requiring a SS number are written this way. We all believe we have to have one but upon close inspection, that's not actually true. The passport thing was the same way.

If I'm wrong and someone can point out some requirement in that text I missed please point it out.

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 2:02:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wanted to point out something interesting. Everywhere you look, everything you sign up for indicates you HAVE to have a social security number. If you look at a Brochure from the LA DMV they will say you have to have a SS number to get a license.

(vi) Social security number. Any alien individual residing in Louisiana who does not possess and is ineligible to obtain a social security number shall not be required to furnish a social security number for issuance of a Class "E" driver's license. However, prior to the issuance of a Class "E" driver's license, in addition to other required documentation, the department shall require the alien individual to present a document demonstrating lawful presence in the United States in a status in which the alien individual may be ineligible to obtain a social security number. The list of acceptable documents demonstrating lawful presence shall be determined by the department. The department shall maintain confidentiality of an applicant's social security number. The department shall not deny any person a driver's license or a renewal if that person has not obtained a government-issued social security number based on Section 7 of Pub. L. 93-579 Section (a)(1).

If you read that you come away thinking "Dang, I need to have a SS number to get a drivers license. But  it doesn't say anywhere in that text you are required to have one to actually get a license. It doesn't say it anywhere. If you read it believing you have to have one you'll see it. Actually, it's not there. That requirement doesn't legally exist.

Most if not all of the laws requiring a SS number are written this way. We all believe we have to have one but upon close inspection, that's not actually true. The passport thing was the same way.

If I'm wrong and someone can point out some requirement in that text I missed please point it out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"in addition to other required documentation, the department shall require the alien individual to present a document demonstrating lawful presence in the United States in a status in which the alien individual may be ineligible to obtain a social security number."

They only accept the other documentation if you are ineligible, not if you choose not to have one.

The key phrases are "shall require" and "a status in which the alien individual may be ineligible"

The point is moot though, because I doubt your soon is an alien residing in LA. We can assume he's a citizen.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

"in addition to other required documentation, the department shall require the alien individual to present a document demonstrating lawful presence in the United States in a status in which the alien individual may be ineligible to obtain a social security number."

They only accept the other documentation if you are ineligible, not if you choose not to have one.

The key phrases are "shall require" and "a status in which the alien individual may be ineligible"

The point is moot though, because I doubt your soon is an alien residing in LA. We can assume he's a citizen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get what I'm saying though? In that entire paragraph , nowhere does it say anyone, citizen or illegal alien is required to have and or present a social security number to get a drivers license, even though the brochure from the DMV says something completely different. Everyone, including the folks at the DMV think it's required. If you look at it closely, you could almost believe it was written in a way to make someone believe you had to have a SS number without actually saying it.

So how positive are you that everything else you just KNOW you need a social security number for is legit?

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Only everyone who isn't happy with the nanny state, bloated pig, status quo .gov we currently enjoy.. Our resident statist tories said it, so it must be true.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Get what I'm saying though? In that entire paragraph , nowhere does it say anyone, citizen or illegal alien is required to have and or present a social security number to get a drivers license, even though the brochure from the DMV says something completely different. Everyone, including the folks at the DMV think it's required. If you look at it closely, you could almost believe it was written in a way to make someone believe you had to have a SS number without actually saying it.

So how positive are you that everything else you just KNOW you need a social security number for is legit?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, did you miss the whole context of the paragraph?

It says pretty clearly that you need an SS number as an alien if you want a driver's license...the exemption being if you are ineligible for one.

Kind of like the ITIN you mentioned earlier in the thread. You can't just go get one, you have to be ineligible for an SSN first.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

ETA
Nevermind, you're wrong  at least according to the Social Security Administration.
Link

"Getting an SSN for your newborn is voluntary, but may be necessary to obtain important services, such as those listed above, for your child."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA
Link

No, you are wrong.  Let’s go back to what you originally stated, that “the Social Security Program” is voluntary.  It absolutely is not. With the limited exceptions I noted, everyone has to pay FICA and Medicare taxes.   You may want to read the statute.  You may not have to get a social security number for a child, but that Chile must have one when he or she starts working unless he or she fits into one of those limited exceptions for his or her full working life.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No, you are wrong.  Let's go back to what you originally stated, that "the Social Security Program" is voluntary.  It absolutely is not. With the limited exceptions I noted, everyone has to pay FICA and Medicare taxes.   You may want to read the statute.  You may not have to get a social security number for a child, but that Chile must have one when he or she starts working unless he or she fits into one of those limited exceptions for his or her full working life.
View Quote

(a)Old-age, survivors, and disability insurance
In addition to other taxes, there is hereby imposed on the income of every individual a tax equal to 6.2 percent of the wages (as defined in section 3121(a)) received by the individual with respect to employment (as defined in section 3121(b)).

(b)Hospital insurance
(1)In general
In addition to the tax imposed by the preceding subsection, there is hereby imposed on the income of every individual a tax equal to 1.45 percent of the wages (as defined in section 3121(a)) received by him with respect to employment (as defined in section 3121(b)).

(2)Additional tax
In addition to the tax imposed by paragraph (1) and the preceding subsection, there is hereby imposed on every taxpayer (other than a corporation, estate, or trust) a tax equal to 0.9 percent of wages which are received with respect to employment (as defined in section 3121(b)) during any taxable year beginning after December 31, 2012, and which are in excess of
(A)in the case of a joint return, $250,000,
(B)in the case of a married taxpayer (as defined in section 7703) filing a separate return,   of the dollar amount determined under subparagraph (A), and
(C)in any other case, $200,000.

Wages have a VERY specific definition.

wages
(2) the amount of any payment (including any amount paid by an employer for insurance or annuities, or into a fund, to provide for any such payment) made to, or on behalf of, an employee or any of his dependents under a plan or system established by an employer which makes provision for his employees generally (or for his employees generally and their dependents) or for a class or classes of his employees (or for a class or classes of his employees and their dependents), on account of  (A) sickness or accident disability (but, in the case of payments made to an employee or any of his dependents, this subparagraph shall exclude from the term "wages" only payments which are received under a workman's compensation law), or (B) medical or hospitalization expenses in connection with sickness or accident disability, or (C) death, except that this paragraph does not apply to a payment for group-term life insurance to the extent that such payment is includible in the gross income of the employee;

So if your income is NOT from wages, per the law you just quoted, Are you required to pay social security tax?

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

In addition to other taxes, there is hereby imposed on the income of every individual a tax equal to 6.2 percent of the wages (as defined in section 3121(a)) received by the individual with respect to employment (as defined in section 3121(b)).

(b)Hospital insurance
(1)In general
In addition to the tax imposed by the preceding subsection, there is hereby imposed on the income of every individual a tax equal to 1.45 percent of the wages (as defined in section 3121(a)) received by him with respect to employment (as defined in section 3121(b)).

(2)Additional tax
In addition to the tax imposed by paragraph (1) and the preceding subsection, there is hereby imposed on every taxpayer (other than a corporation, estate, or trust) a tax equal to 0.9 percent of wages which are received with respect to employment (as defined in section 3121(b)) during any taxable year beginning after December 31, 2012, and which are in excess of
(B)in the case of a married taxpayer (as defined in section 7703) filing a separate return,   of the dollar amount determined under subparagraph (A), and

wages
(2) the amount of any payment (including any amount paid by an employer for insurance or annuities, or into a fund, to provide for any such payment) made to, or on behalf of, an employee or any of his dependents under a plan or system established by an employer which makes provision for his employees generally (or for his employees generally and their dependents) or for a class or classes of his employees (or for a class or classes of his employees and their dependents), on account of  (A) sickness or accident disability (but, in the case of payments made to an employee or any of his dependents, this subparagraph shall exclude from the term "wages" only payments which are received under a workman's compensation law), or (B) medical or hospitalization expenses in connection with sickness or accident disability, or (C) death, except that this paragraph does not apply to a payment for group-term life insurance to the extent that such payment is includible in the gross income of the employee;

So if your income is NOT from wages, per the law you just quoted, Are you required to pay social security tax?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you are wrong.  Let's go back to what you originally stated, that "the Social Security Program" is voluntary.  It absolutely is not. With the limited exceptions I noted, everyone has to pay FICA and Medicare taxes.   You may want to read the statute.  You may not have to get a social security number for a child, but that Chile must have one when he or she starts working unless he or she fits into one of those limited exceptions for his or her full working life.

(b)Hospital insurance
(1)In general

(2)Additional tax

wages

Have you never heard of self employment tax?

I haven't worked for anyone since 2010 and I pay in SS and FICA every year....as a requirement.

You're doing that thing sovereign citizens like to do by trying to misrepresent the definitions of words in an attempt to go "GOTCHA"
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It says pretty clearly that you need an SS number as an alien if you want a driver's license...the exemption being if you are ineligible for one.

Kind of like the ITIN you mentioned earlier in the thread. You can't just go get one, you have to be ineligible for an SSN first.Un
View Quote
Underline the specific part of this law that REQUIRES anyone anywhere to present a Social Security number to receive a drivers license and I'll send you a P-mag.

If I say "Every one above 14 is not required to wear a red shirt to attend the presentation".  That doesn't mean that everyone below 14 is required to wear a red shirt. It means that NO ONE is required to wear a red shirt.

@Lawyerup Am I crazy? If you say I am and I'm completely off base, I'll send you a Pmag too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I haven't worked for anyone since 2010 and I pay in SS and FICA every year....as a requirement.

You're doing that thing sovereign citizens like to do by trying to misrepresent the definitions of words in an attempt to go "GOTCHA"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(b)Hospital insurance
(1)In general

(2)Additional tax

wages

You asked me to read a law. I did and quoted it AND even put in additional clarification from the law you asked me to read. How am I being obtuse?
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You asked me to read a law. I did and quoted it AND even put in additional clarification from the law you asked me to read. How am I being obtuse?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(b)Hospital insurance
(1)In general

(2)Additional tax

wages

For one, you are excluding shit that you don't like. What you quoted was an exclusion, not a definition. Again you take pieces out of context.

Here's right from that link.

wages (as defined in section 3121(a))

So we go over to that section and find this right at the top.

(a) WagesFor purposes of this chapter, the term “wages” means all remuneration for employment, including the cash value of all remuneration (including benefits) paid in any medium other than cash; except that such term shall not include—

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Underline the specific part of this law that REQUIRES anyone anywhere to present a Social Security number to receive a drivers license and I'll send you a P-mag.

If I say "Every one above 14 is not required to wear a red shirt to attend the presentation".  That doesn't mean that everyone below 14 is required to wear a red shirt. It means that NO ONE is required to wear a red shirt.

@Lawyerup Am I crazy? If you say I am and I'm completely off base, I'll send you a Pmag too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kind of like the ITIN you mentioned earlier in the thread. You can't just go get one, you have to be ineligible for an SSN first.Un

Is your son an alien individual, or is he a resident of LA?
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Resident, citizen, born here in LA.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So that entire section doesn't apply to him.

Here's right from your OMV site, a handy guide...notice the requirements at the top.

https://expresslane.dps.louisiana.gov/cdlforms/identification%20requirements.pdf

SOCIAL SECURITY REQUIREMENT
• All applicants eligible for a social security number must provide the assigned number when applying for a driver's
license. Although the Social Security Number will not be displayed on the face of the license, that number must be
entered in the department's internal records.

• Any alien residing in Louisiana who does not possess and is ineligible to obtain a social security number shall be
required to furnish a letter from the Social Security Administration stipulating they are "ineligible" or that they "have not
been issued" a social security number for a Class D or E driver's license.

• In order to comply with the Military Selective Service Act, R.S. 32:40:1321(D)(1), the Social Security Number is
required from all male US citizens or immigrants age 15 to 26 who apply for a driver's license. Failure to provide the SSN
will result in the denial of issuance.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Can you make my Pmag a 10 rounder please?

NY sucks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#31]
The typical sovereign citizen is only sovereign when it comes to laws which hold him/her accountable for things they are doing or have done.

There are a few on this site I’ve seen.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really have no idea.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Here's right from your OMV site, a handy guide...notice the requirements at the top.

https://expresslane.dps.louisiana.gov/cdlforms/identification%20requirements.pdf

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All applicants eligible for a social security number must provide the assigned number when applying for a driver's
license. Although the Social Security Number will not be displayed on the face of the license, that number must be

Any alien residing in Louisiana who does not possess and is ineligible to obtain a social security number shall be
required to furnish a letter from the Social Security Administration stipulating they are "ineligible" or that they "have not

In order to comply with the Military Selective Service Act, R.S. 32:40:1321(D)(1), the Social Security Number is
required from all male US citizens or immigrants age 15 to 26 who apply for a driver's license. Failure to provide the SSN
If you'll notice in one of my previous post, I linked the very same brochure and pointed out that the very same brochure that you and I both linked was written inconsistent with Louisiana state law. That's why I posted the law itself.

On top of that I linked all of the laws. The section I posted was the only one that applied to social security numbers. I don't know what to tell you.

The entire law  again
The law

There is a link to the entire section pertaining to applying for a drivers license. If you can find a statement that says anyone is required to have a SS number I'll send you a P-mag. The brochure is wrong and it's written in a manner that is intentionally confusing.

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

(b)Hospital insurance
(1)In general

(2)Additional tax

wages

View Quote

You still didn't answer my question as to what advantage not having a SSN provides.  
Can you provide any legal scenario where someone who has an SSN will pay more in taxes than someone in the exact same circumstances (employment, assets, location, marital status, ect) but does not have an SSN?
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you'll notice in one of my previous post, I linked the very same brochure and pointed out that the very same brochure that you and I both linked was written inconsistent with Louisiana state law. That's why I posted the law itself.

On top of that I linked all of the laws. The section I posted was the only one that applied to social security numbers. I don't know what to tell you.

The entire law  again
The law

There is a link to the entire section pertaining to applying for a drivers license. If you can find a statement that says anyone is required to have a SS number I'll send you a P-mag. The brochure is wrong and it's written in a manner that is intentionally confusing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All applicants eligible for a social security number must provide the assigned number when applying for a driver's

Any alien residing in Louisiana who does not possess and is ineligible to obtain a social security number shall be

In order to comply with the Military Selective Service Act, R.S. 32:40:1321(D)(1), the Social Security Number is

The entire law  again
The law

This law?

http://www.legis.la.gov/Legis/Law.aspx?d=97429

(b)(i) Any United States male citizen or immigrant who is fifteen years of age, but less than eighteen years of age, shall provide personal information, including a social security number, if available, to the office of motor vehicles when applying to receive or renew a special identification card for the purpose of registration with the Selective Service. Upon the applicant attaining the age of eighteen years, the applicant shall automatically be registered with the Selective Service. The office of motor vehicles shall forward to the Selective Service System, in an electronic format, the necessary personal information required for registration with the Selective Service after receiving the application to issue or renew a special identification card. The application for issuance or renewal of a special identification card shall include all information required according to the provisions of R.S. 32:418.

(ii) The office of motor vehicles shall not issue or renew any special identification card to any person who refuses to provide personal information for registration with the Selective Service

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You still didn't answer my question as to what advantage not having a SSN provides.  
Can you provide any legal scenario where someone who has an SSN will pay more in taxes than someone in the exact same circumstances (employment, assests, location, marital status, ect) but does not have an SSN?
View Quote
I know all of the previous stuff I've written might have you believe that I'm some hard corps militant sovereign citizen. That's absolutely not true. I follow the law just like everyone else.

To answer your question simply, I don't necessarily think there is an advantage for 99.9% of the people, as I stated earlier in the thread. I just didn't see much of a point signing my son up, at birth, for a social retirement program run by the federal government. It literally is a 15 minute exercise to go apply for and receive a card/number.

At this point, there is literally nothing that he/we have tried to do that has been hindered by the fact he doesn't have one. It's become entertaining and a challenge proving to everyone they are not actually required for most of the stuff people think they are required for. See the Louisiana Drivers license example.

Chances are, when he's 16 he'll decide to get one and I'll probably drive him to the office. It'll still be his choice.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The entire law  again
The law

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The entire law  again
The law

Using that link, there is this pesky little bit in there.

(viii) Any other information required by the department.

(ix) Proof of Louisiana residency. Proof of residency shall include but not be limited to paid receipts for utility bills and bank statements.

(x) One primary and two secondary documents of identification or two primary documents of identification from a list of acceptable documents determined by the department. However, such documentation shall include at least one of the following:

The list of required documents is available on the OMV site.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The entire law  again
The law

This law?

http://www.legis.la.gov/Legis/Law.aspx?d=97429

(b)(i) Any United States male citizen or immigrant who is fifteen years of age, but less than eighteen years of age, shall provide personal information, including a social security number, if available, to the office of motor vehicles when applying to receive or renew a special identification card for the purpose of registration with the Selective Service. Upon the applicant attaining the age of eighteen years, the applicant shall automatically be registered with the Selective Service. The office of motor vehicles shall forward to the Selective Service System, in an electronic format, the necessary personal information required for registration with the Selective Service after receiving the application to issue or renew a special identification card. The application for issuance or renewal of a special identification card shall include all information required according to the provisions of R.S. 32:418.

(ii) The office of motor vehicles shall not issue or renew any special identification card to any person who refuses to provide personal information for registration with the Selective Service

Nice try.

Notice that is for a "special identification card" and not a drivers license. Also, you only have to provide a social security number "if available", never says it's a requirement.

For the record, I absolutely appreciate your tenacity.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed and SS card / number isn't included in that list.

If you read the social security section carefully, at the end is this statement..
The department shall not deny any person a driver's license or a renewal if that person has not obtained a government-issued social security number based on Section 7 of Pub. L. 93-579 Section (a)(1).

Here's a link to Section 7 of pub  etc.

Link

The law pertaining to the issuing of Drivers Licenses specifically states you can't be denied a drivers license if you don't have a social security number.

Now, do you think the brochure is wrong?
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If you read the social security section carefully, at the end is this statement..
The department shall not deny any person a driver's license or a renewal if that person has not obtained a government-issued social security number based on Section 7 of Pub. L. 93-579 Section (a)(1).

Link

The law pertaining to the issuing of Drivers Licenses specifically states you can't be denied a drivers license if you don't have a social security number.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link

I don't know what to tell you man.

Walk into any OMV and try to get a new license without an SSN and see how it goes.

They can't really spell it out any clearer, here's the list of things you need to have with you when you apply. If you don't have them they are going to just say "Oh...come back when you do". The law as written enforces these requirements.

Hell, your son is 14, he can go apply for a learner's permit today...take him and see how it goes.

https://www.expresslane.org/drivers/personal-driver-s-licenses/new-licenses/

Documents Required for Issuance of a Temporary Instructional Permit (TIP)

Proof of identification
   Proof of residency
   Verification of your Social Security Number
       Acceptable verification includes your Social Security card, W2 form, or a print out from the Social Security Administration verifying the number. If you do not have a Social Security Number, a letter from the Social Security Administration must be presented. The number may also be given verbally.
   You must also present one additional form of identification such as a photo work ID, high school diploma, insurance card, etc.

Additional Requirements for Applicants Seventeen and Under

The signature of the custodial parent or legal guardian is required for the issuance of any license (including first time applications, duplicates and changing restrictions).
   Documentation must be presented to prove custody or legal guardianship.
   Identification must be presented by the minor and the parent or guardian.
   Only the domiciliary parent may sign if joint custody has been awarded.

The privacy act does not apply.

It's in regards to rights, benefits and privileges provided by law. A driver's license is not provided by law, it's optional.

(b) Any Federal, State, or local government agency which requests an individual to disclose
his social security account number shall inform that individual whether that disclosure is
mandatory or voluntary, by what statutory or other authority such number is solicited,
and what uses will be made of it.

The OMV does this here.

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#41]
So anyway. I'm partial to OD green p-mags, but black is fine too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree the brochure says that and it's wrong per the law. You couldn't find the requirement and they won't be able to either. There is no legal requirement in Louisiana to have a SS# to get a drivers license.

I know exactly what's going to happen when we go to the DMV to get a drivers license. The nice lady is going to get a confused look and is going to hand me the brochure and say try again. I'll do my thing and in the end, they will issue my son a drivers license and he won't have a social security number when it happens. At this point it's entertainment.

I got the state police/Dept. Of Public Safety to modify the vehicle inspection program state wide over a 15 dollar fee they wanted me to pay that was wrong. This was after talking to the attorney at the LA office of public protection that told me the same thing happened to their very own daughter and there was nothing I could do. I've beat several tickets over improperly applied law, I got no problem handling the DMV.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yep, sure do. I covered that in a previous post. I got it myself when I thought I needed it and I've had it ever since. I've not tallied how much I've paid over the years in to SS but I max it out every year and have for a long time. So not only do I pay SS, I'm likely paying for your grandma.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My parents are in their 70s, grandmother has been dead for 20 something years.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I agree the brochure says that and it's wrong per the law. You couldn't find the requirement and they won't be able to either. There is no legal requirement in Louisiana to have a SS# to get a drivers license.

I know exactly what's going to happen when we go to the DMV to get a drivers license. The nice lady is going to get a confused look and is going to hand me the brochure and say try again. I'll do my thing and in the end, they will issue my son a drivers license and he won't have a social security number when it happens. At this point it's entertainment.

I got the state police/Dept. Of Public Safety to modify the vehicle inspection program state wide over a 15 dollar fee they wanted me to pay that was wrong. This was after talking to the attorney at the LA office of public protection that told me the same thing happened to their very own daughter and there was nothing I could do. I've beat several tickets over improperly applied law, I got no problem handling the DMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to see that one play out.

Care to follow through with it?

Looks like he can go in for a learner's permit now.

What are you going to do about the clearly listed requirement for Selective Service?
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't know what to tell you man.

Walk into any OMV and try to get a new license without an SSN and see how it goes.

They can't really spell it out any clearer, here's the list of things you need to have with you when you apply. If you don't have them they are going to just say "Oh...come back when you do". The law as written enforces these requirements.

Hell, your son is 14, he can go apply for a learner's permit today...take him and see how it goes.

https://www.expresslane.org/drivers/personal-driver-s-licenses/new-licenses/

The privacy act does not apply.

It's in regards to rights, benefits and privileges provided by law. A driver's license is not provided by law, it's optional.

The OMV does this here.

View Quote
Wanna see something crazy, per the Selective Service website

If you have a social security number, you are required to provide it. [50 U.S.C. 3802(b); 32 CFR 1615.4(a)]. However, you are not required to have a social security number to register with Selective Service.

SSS FAQ

The NY DMV isn't even following the SSS guidelines around having a SS number to register.

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If you have a social security number, you are required to provide it. [50 U.S.C. 3802(b); 32 CFR 1615.4(a)]. However, you are not required to have a social security number to register with Selective Service.

SSS FAQ

The NY DMV isn't even following the SSS guidelines around having a SS number to register.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

SSS FAQ

We already did this, the OMV can set their own requirements.

This section supports that

(ix) Proof of Louisiana residency. Proof of residency shall include but not be limited to paid receipts for utility bills and bank statements.

(x) One primary and two secondary documents of identification or two primary documents of identification from a list of acceptable documents determined by the department. However, such documentation shall include at least one of the following:

They explain why, as required by the Privacy Act.

They are allowed to require a SSN, and the only exemption (as listed) is if you are not eligible for one.

You won't "do you thing" to get around that requirement.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What are you going to do about the clearly listed requirement for Selective Service?
View Quote
I'm absolutely going to do it. In Louisiana you have to be 15 so you'll have to wait a year. Also, I may have an ace in the hole about cutting through the red tape. I know the woman in charge of the DMV state wide. She's a friend and she will fully expect me to do this and would be shocked if I didn't.

Likely, I'll first write the AG's office looking for a legal opinion on the matter and then take it to her and get the brochure changed and subsequent guidance for the DMV folks.

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The entire law  again
The law

And as mentioned before, there is NO requirement in the law for a SS number. So "any other information required by the dept." subsection doesn't include SS number because that was addressed in the section right above it that doesn't require the SS number.

I don't care what a website or brochure says. It's not the law, the law is the law.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm absolutely going to do it. In Louisiana you have to be 15 so you'll have to wait a year. Also, I may have an ace in the hole about cutting through the red tape. I know the woman in charge of the DMV state wide. She's a friend and she will fully expect me to do this and would be shocked if I didn't.

Likely, I'll first write the AG's office looking for a legal opinion on the matter and then take it to her and get the brochure changed and subsequent guidance for the DMV folks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found this link also.

Its a little more detailed.

https://public.powerdms.com/LADPSC/documents/368154

Note: When applying for a driver's license or identification card, all
applicants eligible for a Social Security number must provide the assigned
number. Any alien residing in Louisiana, who does not possess or is
ineligible to obtain a Social Security number, is required to furnish a letter
from the Social Security Administration stipulating he/she is "ineligible" to
receive or that he/she "has not been issued" a Social Security number prior
to being eligible for any class driver's license or identification card

The directly reference the law you've cited as not providing any information, but here's another important bit of it.

(2) An applicant for a driver's license shall provide the following information:

(d) Identifying information including:

(i) Date of birth (month, day, and year).

(ii) Sex.

(iii) Height.

(iv) Weight.

(v) Eye and hair color.

(vi) Social security number.

That period is important, it makes it a requirement, codified.

So about that P mag?
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

And as mentioned before, there is NO requirement in the law for a SS number. So "any other information required by the dept." subsection doesn't include SS number because that was addressed in the section right above it that doesn't require the SS number.

I don't care what a website or brochure says. It's not the law, the law is the law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The entire law  again
The law

Here's the full excerpt again.

(2) An applicant for a driver's license shall provide the following information:

(a) Full name.

(b) Current mailing address.

(c) Current residential address. However, law enforcement officers, court officers, and members of their immediate families as defined in R.S. 32:409(C) shall be given the option of providing their official work address or post office box address instead of a residential address. If a person exercises such option, then the person shall not be eligible for voter registration at the driver's license facility as provided for in R.S. 18:114.

(d) Identifying information including:

(i) Date of birth (month, day, and year).

(ii) Sex.

(iii) Height.

(iv) Weight.

(v) Eye and hair color.

(vi) Social security number.

A clear list, in law.

You owe me a P-mag
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top