BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Inspection day? The fuck are you on about? It's not the military and the RA isn't going to be tossing the room looking for contraband.
View Quote

If an RA suspects drugs, they have the right to search your room, usually with Campus police.  It happens and I've seen it.
RA's Cold busted a kid with a grow light in his closet.  Aluminum foiled the whole thing.  
I believe the level of RA's inspecting stuff is dependent on the school, kid, and necessity of available housing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It's called an analogy. It's used to make the point that having a stranger assigned to you for a roommate who can access your room through an entry door at will is not materially different from a security standpoint than a suite-mate who can enter your room through a bathroom door. Both are communal living,  i.e.  you are required to share your living quarters to one degree or another with people you did not choose on terms you did not set. OP's son's dorm setup is significantly more private and secure than the dorms countless people managed to persevere through without having weed planted in their room, only to discovered by the meddling RA on inspection day.
View Quote

Nope. Your "analogy" sucks, and now you're trying to back track.

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I moved the boy and all of his stuff into a dorm at  this weekend. There is a bathroom/shower between the two rooms and they don't lock.

I call maintenance and they send up some sophomore that says it's supposed to be that way. I call bullshit. Anyone with half a brain can see the pitfalls with that. Shady suitmate steals you blind and leaves by your front door. Shitbag dude waits till his girlfriend falls asleep and  walks through the bathroom to rape the passed out coed next door.

My son is in a private room and he heard his suitmate moving in after we left today and suitmate's mom calls him out for having weed in his backpack. Now I have to worry about this particular clown stashing weed in my kid's room if he gets caught holding on inspection day.

I went to Lowe's last night and picked up a piece of strap and some aircraft cable and thimbles to make a noose around the doorknob so it can't be opened. The bar sits on some command hooks and holds the noose. If he gets caught I told him it's part of his Wiccan culture or some shit. I made up two sets so if they confiscate one he has another until I can make another couple.   One of the clowns we talked to said everyone signs a, "Respect Pledge" saying you won't fuck with other people's shit and that would keep my kids shit safe.  

Would you expect some action from the school? I commuted to school and never lived in a dorm.

Thanks

View Quote

While you were at Lowe’s , why didn’t you just pick up a locking door knob and a Phillips head and change it out yourself?
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

College Freshmen are some of the biggest degenerates around.   Coddled kids with poor judgement and life skills are suddenly left with no adult supervision.   Many are there simply because their parents forced them.   Expect the worst

In my first semester of dorm life, 90% of my classmates were drunk or high 3 days a week, every week.   The cumulative GPA after the first semester for the Freshman class was 1.0, despite a small group that earned 4.0s.    

When I told off the local drug dealing kingpin, a Junior, he had his thugs attack me.   I spent 3 months carrying a pistol and going nose-to-nose with them.   They broke through a heavy steel door and destroyed everything in my dorm room twice, including $1500 in textbooks.  

I tape-recorded some of their death threats, as well as their assault on another student, and photographed the massive bloodstains.    I told the Dean of Students I wanted out of my housing contract immediately or my evidence would go straight to the local newspaper, and that if he didn’t reign in the druggies, people were going to die. We became mortal enemies at that point, and he made damn sure my teachers screwed me whenever possible for my entire four years.

The Dean gave me back my contract.   It took three weeks to move out and in that time the Dean and his Resident Assistants searched my room several times when I was in class, but they never did find my pistol.   I’m sure the Dean was getting his drugs from this dealer.   When he got busted for dealing, the college paid for a defense attorney.
View Quote

That is a fantastic piece of fiction you've written. You should write books.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Your son needs to learn the great dorm traditions of whistling while showering or shitting to avoid surprise visits, and the sock on the doorknob when all roomies must remain gone during sexy time.  Tons of people have survived dorm life, and get used to it quickly.

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This can be put away for an inspection day and used the rest of the time.  

Hotel door lock.
View Quote

Won’t work.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I lived in a dorm with a bunch of aspiring engineers.  A locked door was just like throwing down a challenge.  

It was a great experience overall.  A couple of times I wound up with someone sleeping in my bed when I came home from a party but that usually worked out just fine.  

Room inspections?  That's funny.  

Communal showers?  Oh yeah.  After a week or so I got used to sharing.  Women in those settings have absolutely no modesty.  Good times.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They often do this to keep the people in the other room from locking you out of the shitter.
View Quote
It gets locked from in the bedroom, not the bathroom. So locking it only keeps someone in the bathroom from entering your bedroom.

We had this setup when I was in college, two bedrooms with two people per room, with a bathroom that was essentially a hallway connecting the two bedrooms.

Doors were almost never locked because we always walked back and forth between rooms. If the door was locked, I assumed someone was rat-killin' and left them alone.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Daughters dorm at Clemson had locks.  Girls in other suite would lock the door getting ready and go to class forgetting to unlock. No one in daughters suite could get to the bathroom until someone came back and heard the pounding on the door.
View Quote

I was in McCabe at Clemson back in the day.  You could lock the suitemates out of the shared bathroom, but if the bathroom was unlocked they could get directly into your room.  Some of our neighbors had things the OP was concerned about happen (weed during an inspection dumped in suitemate's room, thefts, etc).  I locked up my important stuff in solid wood crate that doubled as furniture, and we used a wooden door bar made from a solid 2x4 and additional wood to extend around the door handle.  The door hardware was Medeco commercial grade stuff and would have probably failed before the bar, but it never did.  I gave the bar to an underclassman who needed it at the end of my senior year during finals.  For all I know, someone is still using it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Pro Tip: If you quickly establish a reputation as bat crap crazy and extremely violent, the other people on your floor tend to leave you the fuck alone.

Er.... or so I've heard.

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#12]
My daughter's dorm at Texas A&M was the same last week when we moved her in. Two bedrooms sharing a bathroom with no door locks from inside the bedroom to the bathroom. 2nd  day in the room her stuff had been gone through (her roommate did not move in yet) so we went to home depot and bought a barrel lock for the bathroom door. Drilled a hole in the frame and bolted it shut from the inside.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

College Freshmen are some of the biggest degenerates around.   Coddled kids with poor judgement and life skills are suddenly left with no adult supervision.   Many are there simply because their parents forced them.   Expect the worst

In my first semester of dorm life, 90% of my classmates were drunk or high 3 days a week, every week.   The cumulative GPA after the first semester for the Freshman class was 1.0, despite a small group that earned 4.0s.    

When I told off the local drug dealing kingpin, a Junior, he had his thugs attack me.   I spent 3 months carrying a pistol and going nose-to-nose with them.   They broke through a heavy steel door and destroyed everything in my dorm room twice, including $1500 in textbooks.  

I tape-recorded some of their death threats, as well as their assault on another student, and photographed the massive bloodstains.    I told the Dean of Students I wanted out of my housing contract immediately or my evidence would go straight to the local newspaper, and that if he didn’t reign in the druggies, people were going to die. We became mortal enemies at that point, and he made damn sure my teachers screwed me whenever possible for my entire four years.

The Dean gave me back my contract.   It took three weeks to move out and in that time the Dean and his Resident Assistants searched my room several times when I was in class, but they never did find my pistol.   I’m sure the Dean was getting his drugs from this dealer.   When he got busted for dealing, the college paid for a defense attorney.
View Quote

Good for you.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pro Tip: If you quickly establish a reputation as bat crap crazy and extremely violent, the other people on your floor tend to leave you the fuck alone.

Er.... or so I've heard.

View Quote

This also works well in the work environment.
I’ve done it my entire life.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My daughter's dorm at Texas A&M was the same last week when we moved her in. Two bedrooms sharing a bathroom with no door locks from inside the bathroom. 2nd  day in the room her stuff had been gone through (her roommate did not move in yet) so we went to home depot and bought a barrel lock for the bathroom door. Drilled a hole in the frame and bolted it shut from the inside.
View Quote

Commons? (Dunn, Krueger, Mosher, Aston?) When I was there 20 years ago, you could get locked in the bathroom if both dorm rooms locked their doors. I’m betting the new fire codes don’t allow that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#16]
To be honest, I don't remember whether or not my divider doors had locks.  I had that setup as a freshman in college.  Two 2-person dorm rooms, connected via a small hallway with a shared bathroom.  I know we had doors to divide it.  My gut says they locked, but I can't be sure.  I didn't have too much concern about it though.  My roommate was a fairly religious guy who walked the straight and narrow path.  No drinking or drugs, no sex.  He was an ideal roommate; never got into trouble, never caused me trouble, kept the room clean, and was a nice guy.  Didn't shame me about my choices either.  The guys in the other room connected to us were and are still great friends.  One was Navy ROTC and career-oriented; he wasn't involved with drugs or alcohol.  And the other guy was in a band with me, and I knew him to not be into drugs.  He kept the alcohol out of the dorm.

I lucked out.  I can definitely understand where you're coming from as a father though.  I'd want to be able to keep those doors locked.  I'd get one of those contraptions that goes under the doorknob and runs at an angle to the floor.  That's assuming that the connecting door open's inward toward the dormroom.  If it opens outward into the hallway, that's a bit more tricky to address but I'd consider it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a similar setup my freshman year. One of many reasons I refused to live in a dorm ever again. I had a suite mate from NorCal who thought it was his God given right to run the AC at 55 fucking degrees. Whenever we left, he would enter our room and turn it down. Ambient temp outside was 115. Going from outside to inside routinely made me and my roommate from LA sick. After trying to compromise at 72 degrees to no avail, we rigged up a system to jam the door, and then turned the thermostat up a more reasonable 82 degrees.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#19]
If locks only keep honest men honest, here's a cheap solution that will at least leave evidence if they break in.

Or you could do that noose thing I guess.

Really, though, if the door swings into the bathroom, somebody in the bathroom can simply drive out the hinge pins if they're determined to get into the bedroom.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Nobody took me to college.  Showers were open.  How did i survive without mommy n daddy.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just change the door knob. It's 2 screws, 5 minutes and maybe $20. Return their knob at the end of the year.
View Quote

I would have done that but it is not a pass through lockset. We are just going to roll with what I already put in place.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
When I was in the army our shitters and showers were in one open room with no doors or walls.
View Quote

About the same as the navy but I had plenty of space to lock shit up.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
His own room?  Bathroom he only shares with 1 person?  Luxury living compared to when I was a freshman.
View Quote

I paid another 600 clams but the room is still tiny as hell. He will probably room with someone else next year or just get an apartment.

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I guess it's no different than having a roommate but it's odd the door to a single doesn't lock
View Quote

It is a two man room but we paid extra to not have a roommate.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This makes sense.  It's one of those rules that only exist because it has happened before.

That being said, it sux.  I would tell your kid to get a small motion activated camera and point it at the door.  We had a similar issue in the barracks.  Guy suspected his suite mate was entering his room while he was away.  Put up camera and proved it.

Moved my son in this weekend at Alabama.  The dorms are ridiculously nice.  Two man suites. Each have their own private room with a dead bolt on door.  They share a bathroom, kitchen, and den area.  All dorms overlook the Black Warrior River, though not every room has a view, but still nice.
View Quote

This dorm is fifty years old. My aunt, SIL and one of his mentors all lived there over the years. I would have urged him not to stay there but he did the tour with my wife and liked it.

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This makes sense.  It's one of those rules that only exist because it has happened before.

That being said, it sux.  I would tell your kid to get a small motion activated camera and point it at the door.  We had a similar issue in the barracks.  Guy suspected his suite mate was entering his room while he was away.  Put up camera and proved it.

Moved my son in this weekend at Alabama.  The dorms are ridiculously nice.  Two man suites. Each have their own private room with a dead bolt on door.  They share a bathroom, kitchen, and den area.  All dorms overlook the Black Warrior River, though not every room has a view, but still nice.
View Quote

This dorm is fifty years old. My aunt, SIL and one of his mentors all lived there over the years. I would have urged him not to stay there but he did the tour with my wife and liked it.

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Same here, AND a roommate.  No private rooms.  OP must send his kid to a school for rich folks.
View Quote

No, it's a state school being paid for by my Hazelwood Act. My kid is basically going to school for free because I lived in Texas when I joined the .MIL.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

While you were at Lowe’s , why didn’t you just pick up a locking door knob and a Phillips head and change it out yourself?
View Quote

Because it is an industrial lock that Lowes does not have and it would have been super obvious that it had been fucked with. What I ended up with is easy to conceal  and easy to explain.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because it is an industrial lock that Lowes does not have and it would have been super obvious that it had been fucked with. What I ended up with is easy to conceal  and easy to explain.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Autistic sheltered parent is trying to create autistic sheltered son.

It'll be ok.
View Quote

Agreed. Chill on the anxiety, OP, before you create a really awkward environment for your son.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#31]
So he and one other person share a bathroom,  and they're mutually responsible for locking the exterior doors to prevent their shit from being stolen?

Holy fuck, that's awesome. I would have killed to share a bathroom with only one person in college, floor bathrooms sucked except for the fact they were cleaned by the janitor. Nearly every college student has to share their space with one or three other people, it's not a big deal. If you wanted him to have a truly private room, with no Jack&Jill bathroom, you should have done your due diligence during the tours of the campus and paid attention when he was assigned his room. The floor layouts are online exactly for this situation.

Let your son tell the pothead to not be a douche, he's an adult.

Give your son $50 for pizza and spending money and go away so he can make friends during the first few hours on the floor

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm with you OP. College is full of opportunistic shitheads and thieves, especially in the dorms. This isn't the 70s or 80s where the most expensive thing most students own is a $70 bicycle. Laptops, textbooks, phones, and other personal items are easy to steel and fence in college towns. And can be very hard to replace for the student or their family. To say nothing of actual course work or research that is stolen. Having a door into one's personal living space that doesn't lock is stupid, especially in 2020.

I know the trend of GD being contrarian to every single OP concern has been slowly getting worse for the past decade but goddamn this thread is a real piece of work.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#33]
30 years ago my dorm suite only had locks on the hallway doors. The bathroom is a common area for the two rooms. I trusted my suite mates. I would be more concerned about the janitor that comes in to clean the bathroom when everyone is out to class.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm with you OP. College is full of opportunistic shitheads and thieves, especially in the dorms. This isn't the 70s or 80s where the most expensive thing most students own is a $70 bicycle. Laptops, textbooks, phones, and other personal items are easy to steel and fence in college towns. And can be very hard to replace for the student or their family. To say nothing of actual course work or research that is stolen. Having a door into one's personal living space that doesn't lock is stupid, especially in 2020.

I know the trend of GD being contrarian to every single OP concern has been slowly getting worse for the past decade but goddamn this thread is a real piece of work.
View Quote

If he can't afford to lose it, keep it at OP's house. College housing, the library,  etc are not safe from theft, no matter what attempts are made to secure the property.

Anything still in the room is either disposable, or engraved with his name, password protected, and electronically tagged with FindMyiPhone so when it is stolen, he can wipe it remotely or find it in a trash can after the thief gives up. All data gets backed up to the cloud, in addition to saved locally.

A lockable Pelican that fits under his bed is only as secure as his habit of locking it and securing the key or the combination. Paint it some crazy pattern so someone dragging it through the hall is easily recognized on camera. Like his initials in 8" high bright orange letters.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I paid extra for a private room. He learns better in the quiet.
View Quote

Devil is in the details... did you pay extra for a private bathroom, too?  Or just the private room?

Should have paid doubly extra for locking doors or (even better) a private bathroom.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
30 years ago my dorm suite only had locks on the hallway doors. The bathroom is a common area for the two rooms. I trusted my suite mates. I would be more concerned about the janitor that comes in to clean the bathroom when everyone is out to class.
View Quote

At my alma mater, in-suite bathrooms are the responsibility of the residents to remove that liability.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Interesting!

About 5 years ago, when I dropped one of my daughters off at college, I noticed the same thing.  I even started a thread about it.

Bathroom Thread
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#38]
In our off campus apartments we didn’t lock the doors. Once I woke up to two naked girls doing coke on my couch.

I turned out alright.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So, there are no locks on the bathroom doors, or the locks on the bathroom doors don’t work?  Difference.

If no locks and door swings into bedroom, I’d just get one of these ...

https://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/1/135345_ts.jpg
View Quote

Looks and sounds like a very good idea.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
In our off campus apartments we didn’t lock the doors. Once I woke up to two naked girls doing coke on my couch.

I turned out alright.
View Quote

I was an engineering student.

And by that, I mean, go on...

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Am I missing something?

If both sides put outside locks on the bathroom its a fire hazard, or a prison.

Link Posted: 8/18/2020 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
See if you can buy a condo or small older house.
View Quote
Gotta love GD.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I had a similar setup my freshman year. One of many reasons I refused to live in a dorm ever again. I had a suite mate from NorCal who thought it was his God given right to run the AC at 55 fucking degrees. Whenever we left, he would enter our room and turn it down. Ambient temp outside was 115. Going from outside to inside routinely made me and my roommate from LA sick. After trying to compromise at 72 degrees to no avail, we rigged up a system to jam the door, and then turned the thermostat up a more reasonable 82 degrees.
View Quote

Was it reasonable or was it 82?
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If he can't afford to lose it, keep it at OP's house. College housing, the library,  etc are not safe from theft, no matter what attempts are made to secure the property.

Anything still in the room is either disposable, or engraved with his name, password protected, and electronically tagged with FindMyiPhone so when it is stolen, he can wipe it remotely or find it in a trash can after the thief gives up. All data gets backed up to the cloud, in addition to saved locally.

A lockable Pelican that fits under his bed is only as secure as his habit of locking it and securing the key or the combination. Paint it some crazy pattern so someone dragging it through the hall is easily recognized on camera. Like his initials in 8" high bright orange letters.

Kharn
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

"Other places aren't secure so your room doesn't need to be as secure either"

Guess I should have kept the bare-minimum laptop that cost $1800 I needed to run regressions and data processing at my parents house. I could have driven 2 hours each way every day to get it. Same with my $400 textbooks.

"hurr dur hurr if you don't make your life and your son's life as dumb and hard as possible you're a pussy and an idiot OP"

-GD 2020
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Guess I should have kept the bare-minimum laptop that cost $1800 I needed to run regressions and data processing at my parents house. I could have driven 2 hours each way every day to get it. Same with my $400 textbooks.

"hurr dur hurr if you don't make your life and your son's life as dumb and hard as possible you're a pussy and an idiot OP"

-GD 2020
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

-GD 2020

A wall locker or such to secure valuables is a reasonable expectation in a communal living situation like a dorm.

A private lockable room is unreasonable.

As it is, the very idea of two people sharing a bathroom and each having a different bedroom is outright luxury relative to the living experiences of 99.9% of college-aged people.

We love to lament the softening of generations, but seem to have a hard time seeing when we contribute to it with an overprotective mentality.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

thats a thing?

Add me to the list of I don't remember if the door had a lock or not. Nor do i remember if the other UGA freshmen dorms I spent the night at had locks or not. I'll be honest. I don't remember shit about the freshmen dorms other than some long walks home the next day.

they aren't all 10s.
View Quote

The UGA dorms had locks. Payne Hall was one of the old dorms next to the stadium. It had communal showers, but the rooms had locks. At least they did in the late ‘70’s.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I never lived on campus as it wasn't required and didn't feel like shelling out for shitty living arrangements. I got an apartment off campus with a friend I've had all my life.

You don't miss out on the "college experience" by not living in the dorms, unless awful living arrangements is what you want.

I joined a club on campus of like minded people and found plenty of friends without living in the dorms and dealing with the horror stories.

Edit: I also had way too many guns and pets to live in a dorm too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
But only you could get into your room right?
View Quote

I had a roommate.

My friend went to Towson and had the same thing but each room had 2 people...

Edit: they probably aren’t locked because they had so many people lock the door into the other room, use the bathroom then leave without unlocking it. The other person goes to use their bathroom and is locked out and now your son isn’t even home to unlock it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#50]
You're being paranoid...

Your kid is going to be making decisions for himself now.  If he thinks he needs to lock the door than he will lock the door.  If he becomes friends with his neighbor than he will leave it open.  It's really none of your business...
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top