Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seemed like it. How many people, trucks, and equipment normally get sent out for a mil plane crash?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cs0WoiXUAAAynMq.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big response for a U-2?
Seemed like it. How many people, trucks, and equipment normally get sent out for a mil plane crash?

Damn dude I forgot about that one. It was at the Sutter Buttes IIRC?
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:17:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Me too, I get a blank page due to trackers blocked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone got a non facebook link to the video from inside the warehouse?
Me too, I get a blank page due to trackers blocked.
Setup a PiHole and see all the things that are really trying to contact outside sources behind the scenes.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I forgot to finish my story above...

Of the eight of us working at the end of the runway that day, six froze from shock of watching the crash. They were like zombies and wouldn't respond to anything. My buddy Lou and I ran out to see if we could get the pilot out because he couldn't lift off the canopy - too heavy. We grabbed a 150lb Halon extinguisher and we ran dragging it with us. We figured we'd be able to hold off the fire until the fire department showed up. Unfortunately, it got stuck in the muddy field between the de-arm area and the crash site, so we left the extinguisher and kept running to the plane. We thought maybe we'd be able to help him lift the canopy off. As soon as we got to the plane, the pilot, Capt Dave W., LIFTED the canopy off and threw it to the right side of the plane, which was on fire (actually, just the wing). We grabbed him since he was at chest height and in a daze and drug him to a ditch to watch the plane until the fire dept., showed up a few minutes later. They sprayed foam on everything, including us.

Base commander said we never actually rescued him so he said "thanks" and see you later, not that we wanted anything...I just didn't want to watch him burn to death. The 496th was much more grateful. To this day I still have a lithograph signed by all the squadron's pilots, including new call sign "CRASH". For the rest of my tour in Germany, I was always welcome at their bar to drink for free. I met up with Captain Dave W., a few months later while we were TDY at Zaragosa, Spain, and he hooked me up with a Viper ride.
View Quote
Wow, fantastic story. Kudos to you and your buddy, and I'm glad no one was seriously hurt.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#5]
only one way an F-16 crashes into a building and does not get engulfed in a fireball and that if there isnt any fuel in it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
only one way an F-16 crashes into a building and does not get engulfed in a fireball and that if there isnt any fuel in it.
View Quote
So crew chief fucked up and pilot didn't run his checklist?
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is a damn good point.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
How does a plane not get fueled? I mean it seems like an important part of getting one ready to fly. Don't they have a fuel gauge of sorts and shouldn't the pilot have looked at it?
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:32:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I love the engineers at Martin-Baker.
View Quote
F-16s carry McDonnell-Douglas (now Boeing) ACES II ejection seats.  Not Martin-Bakers.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mmm, hydrazine in an enclosed building.
View Quote
@klinc that building is well ventilated.  Look up.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How does a plane not get fueled? I mean it seems like an important part of getting one ready to fly. Don't they have a fuel gauge of sorts and shouldn't the pilot have looked at it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would think it would take more than a few people fucking up for thus to happen. But humans are humans so...
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#12]
It's not impossible that the pilot simply flew so long that he ran it out of gas.  With Bitching Betty yelling "BINGO. FUEL. BINGO. FUEL" almost continuously the whole time, that does seem rather improbable, though.

I'd also be super surprised if it had any fuel still in it given the lack of fire.

I'm sure that flying an F-16 out of gas and dropping it into a warehouse is a really bad career move.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just read through an older (2003) check list. Does not have anything about checking fuel levels till it's time to land.

And damn it, I can't find a gif from Top Gun where Maveric taps the fuel gauge in his F-14.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.....but even an empty jet still has unusable/untransferable fuel.

At the end of a flight the jets remaining fuel load will be in the fuselage integrals where leakage from crash damage is less likely in comparison to wings and externals.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would think it would take more than a few people fucking up for thus to happen. But humans are humans so...
View Quote
I would think so.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Well... thank God I didn't have to go to Perris today.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I thought this happened on take off but it sounds like it was on landing. That explains my fuel confusion.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I thought this happened on take off but it sounds like it was on landing. That explains my fuel confusion.
View Quote
Says he punched out after reporting a hydraulic failure while attempting an emergency landing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:58:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Says he punched out after reporting a hydraulic failure while attempting an emergency landing.
View Quote
I missed several details reading earlier.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Missed that as well.

No hydraulics or no hydraulics due to no engine powering the hydraulics?  
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Missed that as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Missed that as well.

I don't know shit about the F16. Would the emergency power not still power hydraulics?
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't know shit about the F16. Would the emergency power not still power hydraulics?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Missed that as well.

As said earlier in the thread it would. But I would assume that the EPU would not come on automatically. He may have been too low to get it up and running in time for it to be useful. But what do I know.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Missed that as well.

I'm guessing it needs to make power to run the hydraulic pumps. How long from realizing you are out if fuel, to getting the hydrazine going is the question. Turning final or in the overhead, I don't know if they can make the switch that quick.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#26]
That dashcam video showed a very SLOW impact speed.  The audio tended to indicate that the video was played at normal speed, too.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:08:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That dashcam video showed a very SLOW impact speed.  The audio tended to indicate that the video was played at normal speed, too.
View Quote
I think it was slowed down, based on the cars on the road
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:09:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm guessing it needs to make power to run the hydraulic pumps. How long from realizing you are out if fuel, to getting the hydrazine going is the question. Turning final or in the overhead, I don't know if they can make the switch that quick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Missed that as well.

I thought it was automatic which is why they get pinned while the engine is still running.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Eh.  There are a lot of variables.  But if the above were the case...  One would think there was plenty of potential for ignition from all the electrical wiring involved in the crash both in the building and the aircraft among many,  many other things.

You can see in the pictures in the warehouse that there was a lot of black smoke,  but one would assume that the broken water main that is dumping hundreds of gallons of water on the aircraft may have put the fire out...  And that it was not a fuel fed fire due to the fact that a fuel fed fire would only be spread by water.

https://screenshotscdn.firefoxusercontent.com/images/a7ef4c21-25e1-46cf-95c0-c083afc2ec2f.png

But that is all speculation.
View Quote
Looks like the cockpit area is still smoldering from the ejection rockets?
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

As said earlier in the thread it would. But I would assume that the EPU would not come on automatically. He may have been too low to get it up and running in time for it to be useful. But what do I know.
View Quote
Man I would have thought emergency power would come on automatically. In my industry, emergency systems are automatic
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#31]
VIDEO: F-16 goes down moments before it crashes into building | ABC7
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#32]
F-16 Fighter Jet Crashes Into Riverside Warehouse
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Man I would have thought emergency power would come on automatically. In my industry, emergency systems are automatic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure someone here can answer that question. A lot of things on aircraft are not automatic. You don't always want things happening on their own when you're thousands of feet off the ground.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:18:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm sure someone here can answer that question. A lot of things on aircraft are not automatic. You don't always want things happening on their own when you're thousands of feet off the ground.
View Quote
I know there at least one F16 pilot here.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A crew chief would never fuck up!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wouldn't be the first time an F-16 crashed because of fuel starvation. No fire? I'm not saying it's devoid of fuel...but...
A crew chief would never fuck up!
We’re automatically considered guilty.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:22:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
@bullf-16 we need edumacated!!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be in “norm” in the air. It’s automatic.

ETA: That system is checked as part of the launch procedures. However, it’s only checked with bleed air as using H70 would suck for us on the ground.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:23:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I was about 0.75 miles from the runway, about 1.25 miles from the crash when it happened.

The cops, fire trucks, and ambulances all rushed there and then in a bit came back as the military took over.

The F-16s sortie out here from LAX while on Combat Air Patrol for the west coast.
View Quote
I wonder if those are the same guys that almost blasted that airliner coming into SFO from Thailand right after 9/11 that ignored their hails? This was after GWB shut down US airspace.

I imagine that was an interesting flight.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It would be in "norm" in the air. It's automatic.

ETA: That system is checked as part of the launch procedures. However, it's only checked with bleed air as using H70 would suck for us on the ground.
View Quote
In the norm position does it start automatically?
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
The -16 EPU will automatically turn on to supplement or supply electrical power and hydraulic pressure as needed.  It can also be manually turned on.

If loss of hydraulic pressure is due to an issue other than pressure generation (such as a hydraulic line rupture) the supplemental hydraulic pressure generated by the EPU could be ineffective.

The -16 does have two hydraulic systems with some redundancy for control surfaces.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:27:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Is March anywhere near where Norton Air Force Base used to be?

I remember going to an airshow at Norton around 1968 or so. Or maybe it was just an open house deal.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:28:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The -16 EPU will automatically turn on to supplement or supply electrical power and hydraulic pressure as needed.  It can also be manually turned on.

If loss of hydraulic pressure is due to an issue other than pressure generation (such as a hydraulic line rupture) the supplemental hydraulic pressure generated by the EPU could be ineffective.
View Quote
thanks
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I always fail at embedding tweets. I have given up and gone to linking.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:30:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha. That makes sense.

I understand if you can't answer, but I would assume that the 16 has redundant hydraulic systems. Is it from one single oil source or does it have separate tanks for the independent systems?
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Do you know how many I-215s there are?

There's one or two in CA, there's one in Vegas, and there's one in Salt Lake.

I commute I-215 in Salt Lake every day of the world. Well, except weekends.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My girlfriend watched it happen in person. She called from the 215 to tell me about it.
Do you know how many I-215s there are?

There's one or two in CA, there's one in Vegas, and there's one in Salt Lake.

I commute I-215 in Salt Lake every day of the world. Well, except weekends.
She lives in Perris, CA currently. March ARB is immediately next to the 215 in that area, which I figured was evident from the context of her witnessing it firsthand.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:31:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be in "norm" in the air. It's automatic.

ETA: That system is checked as part of the launch procedures. However, it's only checked with bleed air as using H70 would suck for us on the ground.
Depending on the situation, yes.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:33:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Depending on the situation, yes.
View Quote
thanks
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yes, full suit with SCBA.  Fireman's boots.   We rotate as needed for air or heat/exhaustion etc.  Even after securing the AC and the fuel container cleanup can take days or longer.   Even contaminated dirt or porous structure sometimes has to  be removed.   If the suits leak, the poor bastards get hosed naked with fire hoses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:c
Would this be done while covered head to toe in a safety suit?
Yes, full suit with SCBA.  Fireman's boots.   We rotate as needed for air or heat/exhaustion etc.  Even after securing the AC and the fuel container cleanup can take days or longer.   Even contaminated dirt or porous structure sometimes has to  be removed.   If the suits leak, the poor bastards get hosed naked with fire hoses.
Both my parents and other employees at a certain rocket test facility at a certain AFB got hydrazine contamination/inhalation when some idiot spilled it and it vented into the ventilation system.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:49:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big response for a U-2?

Yes. The plane dang near came down in my front yard.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top