Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are they over .55 lbs?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I suspect the large styrofoam gliders will need to be registered now.

Are they over .55 lbs?

Most of them are quite a bit more.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#3]
In before radio controlled objects weigh less than 5lbs or more than 50lbs
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The real question is....

Will people's accounts be locked for saying they "did not comply"?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can see the compliance rate for this being close to zero.

The real question is....

Aimless is probably moist already.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Hilarious.

The R/C flyers can cripple the system in a week.  There are only so many Tail Numbers...

An N-Number can be in any of these formats
One to five numbers (N12345)
One to four numbers followed by one letter (N1234Z)
One to three numbers followed by two letters (N123AZ)
N-Numbers do not have
A zero (0) as the first number
The letters "I" or "O"

Register everything you have.  Now.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Pretty much.

The author of that book went through alot of shit just trying to be a small commercial farmer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Pretty much.

The author of that book went through alot of shit just trying to be a small commercial farmer.

See my sig line. I've been to Salatin's place and filled a huge cooler with pork and chicken from his farm.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have an RC car that can get airborn off a ramp. I may need to register that.
View Quote

You should. Post pics.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Way to go .gov.  Assholes.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

The consequence will be that 10 year olds become desensitized to ignoring the law even more so than they are now.

I have mixed feelings about that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The real question is....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The real question is....

Didn't you know protesting the government is patriotic?  Why do you hate freedom and patriotism?

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Sweet! I have a pre-ban quad copter!
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
LOL, I fly on private property, eat a dick FAA
View Quote

That's like saying I only shoot my unregistered suppressed machinegun on private property so eat dick ATF!
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In before radio controlled objects weigh less than 5lbs or more than 50lbs
View Quote

You fail at reading comprehension. The registration doesn't apply for systems under .5 lbs, which are virtually worthless outdoors. There is a separate registration requirement for systems over 55 lbs.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hilarious.

The R/C flyers can cripple the system in a week.  There are only so many Tail Numbers...

N-Numbers do not have
The letters "I" or "O"

View Quote

Registration is not for each individual aircraft but for owners instead.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#16]
They can suck my short fat white dick.  I aint registering shit.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They can suck my short fat white dick.  I aint registering shit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#18]
OH YEAH SMELL THAT FREEDOM BABY
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Will no comply. The FAA already got bitch slapped for trying to regulate non-commercial RC aircraft. It's out of their jurisdiction.
View Quote

Cite of referenced "bitch slap"?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As I said in the other thread this sports are so "acceptable". Anything beyond sitting on your couch drooling like a moron watching more morons throw a ball around like primates is suspicious. It's especially suspicious if it involves learning or specialized knowledge in anything involving mechanics and electronics.
View Quote

Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Pretty much this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As I said in the other thread this sports are so "acceptable". Anything beyond sitting on your couch drooling like a moron watching more morons throw a ball around like primates is suspicious. It's especially suspicious if it involves learning or specialized knowledge in anything involving mechanics and electronics.

Pretty much this.

Supposed to have read "This is why sports are so acceptable..."
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Will no comply. The FAA already got bitch slapped for trying to regulate non-commercial RC aircraft. It's out of their jurisdiction.

Id like to know about the bitch slap, but there is this...

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law
relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal
Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle,
the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may
not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft,
or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft
, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational
use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based
set of safety guidelines and within the programming
of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless
otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection,
flight test, and operational safety program administered
by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere
with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator
of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air
traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at
the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft
operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an
airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure
with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control
tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).
(b) STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.—Nothing in this section shall
be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue
enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who endanger
the safety of the national airspace system.
(c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘model
aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—
(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
VerDate Mar 15 2010 03:52 Feb 04, 2012 Jkt 072595 PO 00000 Frm 00072 Fmt 6659 Sfmt 6603 E:\HR\OC\HR381.XXX HR381
pwalker on DSK7TPTVN1PROD with REPORTS
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating
the aircraft; and
(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this.

No worries, the message came through
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm just into RC rock crawlers, but this makes me want to get a drone and fly it around unregistered.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of lawrelating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into FederalAviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle,the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration maynot promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft,or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreationaluse;(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-basedset of safety guidelines and within the programmingof a nationwide community-based organization;(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unlessotherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection,flight test, and operational safety program administeredby a community-based organization;(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interferewith and gives way to any manned aircraft; and(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operatorof the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport airtraffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located atthe airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraftoperators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of anairport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedurewith the airport operator and the airport air traffic controltower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).(b) STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.—Nothing in this section shallbe construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursueenforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who endangerthe safety of the national airspace system.(c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘modelaircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;VerDate Mar 15 2010 03:52 Feb 04, 2012 Jkt 072595 PO 00000 Frm 00072 Fmt 6659 Sfmt 6603 E:\HR\OC\HR381.XXX HR381pwalker on DSK7TPTVN1PROD with REPORTS69(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operatingthe aircraft; and(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of lawrelating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into FederalAviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle,the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration maynot promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft,or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreationaluse;(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-basedset of safety guidelines and within the programmingof a nationwide community-based organization;(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unlessotherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection,flight test, and operational safety program administeredby a community-based organization;(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interferewith and gives way to any manned aircraft; and(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operatorof the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport airtraffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located atthe airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraftoperators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of anairport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedurewith the airport operator and the airport air traffic controltower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).(b) STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.—Nothing in this section shallbe construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursueenforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who endangerthe safety of the national airspace system.(c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘modelaircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;VerDate Mar 15 2010 03:52 Feb 04, 2012 Jkt 072595 PO 00000 Frm 00072 Fmt 6659 Sfmt 6603 E:\HR\OC\HR381.XXX HR381pwalker on DSK7TPTVN1PROD with REPORTS69(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operatingthe aircraft; and(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.  

Which has now been superseded.

And the part I bolded is rather limiting anyway.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Q. Do I have to register a paper airplane, or a toy balloon or Frisbee?

A. No. Even if these things could be considered "drones" or "unmanned aircraft" and met the minimum weight threshold of 250 gm/0.55 lb., the registration rules also require that they be a part of an "unmanned aircraft system." An "unmanned aircraft system" includes the communication links and components that control the small unmanned aircraft along with all of the other elements needed to safely operate the drone. Paper airplanes, toy balloons, Frisbees, and similar items are not connected to such control system.
View Quote

Did someone type that with a straight face?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Fuck that shit.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hilarious.

N-Numbers do not have
The letters "I" or "O"

And not going to be N numbers.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#29]
You know why this happened right!  A few idiots caused problems with real aircraft, or spying on people and potentially causing harm to a person. They got lawyers involved, government stuck its nose in everyone elses business and now we got this.

These few idiots have caused ALL aircraft to be registered, not just the proposed drones as originally thought.  I wonder how they intend to educate people on flying safely......oh thats right they don't.  This is the job of the AMA, when you become a member.  Registration is nothing more than feel goodism by the anti-hobbyists.  I dont belong to AMA, and used to fly on private property when it wasnt a big deal.  I live within Luke Air Force Base flight path, I suspect many of you don't live that close to an airport or AFB, I have had to seek permission to fly aircraft before, most of the time was okay. The one time it was not they were conducting sorties in the area I was flying in, and said NO.  

See page 31 of the pdf
Table 4
says its not $5 each it says you the owner are registering yourself, apply for a number blah blah blah.

page 39 says it also include model rockets

https://www.faa.gov/uas/publications/media/RTFARCFinalReport_11-21-15.pdf

RILA, Horizon Hobby, and many individual commenters supported registration prior to operation. They stated that this approach would make it possible to capture the many UAS that are purchased as gifts, from foreign web sites, or sold privately and those that are constructed by
the operator.  page 82
View Quote
   Know who you are supporting here, Horizon hobby supported registration.  Thank the industry too.

read page 104, some of the commenters are complete fucking retards.  I went thru and read some of the comments, it emulates some of the stupid that gets posted on GD, what would one expect.

Clarification/Request for Information:
Commenters also responded to the issue of a registration fee and how the fee should be collected based on questions posed in the
Clarification/Request for Information. Of the commenters that supported a registration fee, the majority stated that the fee should be nominal and suggested between $1 and $40.
Other commenters suggested fees as high as $250 for hobbyists and $1,000 for commercial users.
View Quote

The FAA may also use administrative action or legal enforcement action to gain compliance. Failure to register an aircraft can result in civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties for failure to register can include fines of up to $250,000 under 18 U.S.C. 3571 and/or imprisonment up to 3 years. 49 U.S.C. 46306
View Quote

page 182-184

Read the 211 page document. You'll see how they came up with everyone registers for all Aircraft activities, commenters be damned, they help add some shit.

250grams = 8 ounces and some change. That aint much.

Ive inquired about additional required information, because I fly, I dont want to be charged a fine and a felony or prison time which would cause a loss of my rights for flying a toy and taking the armchair commando tough guy talk about not complying. Internet tough guys.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hilarious.

N-Numbers do not have
The letters "I" or "O"

View Quote

What was the tail number of that FBI plane circling San Bernadino during the shooting???

You know, just for curiosity sake.

I mean hell, think of all the scale kits out there that had the numbers of actual full size planes on them...

Damn counterfeits flying around with cloned registration numbers...
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

A. No. Even if these things could be considered "drones" or "unmanned aircraft" and met the minimum weight threshold of 250 gm/0.55 lb., the registration rules also require that they be a part of an "unmanned aircraft system." An "unmanned aircraft system" includes the communication links and components that control the small unmanned aircraft along with all of the other elements needed to safely operate the drone. Paper airplanes, toy balloons, Frisbees, and similar items are not connected to such control system.

no but I am sure some dumb fuck answered it with a straight face. Just following orders.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Fuck them.  Next time I see my congressional rep I am going to ask him if he voted on this horseshit.  I know he didn't.  Anything they can throw you in jail for he should have to vote on.  Taxation without representation.  Fuck off FAA, come and get me.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The FAA really hasn't figured out this whole consumer electronics thing. Somebody somewhere is going to figure out a guidance system for Frisbee golf.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Fuck them.  Next time I see my congressional rep I am going to ask him if he voted on this horseshit.  I know he didn't.  Anything they can throw you in jail for he should have to vote on.  Taxation without representation.  Fuck off FAA, come and get me.
View Quote

There was nothing to vote on. It was rule by regulatory fiat....again.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Might as well register a homing pigeon.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#37]
meh

pic of what I fly...think it's like 450 grams or so with battery

Edit: another one
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#39]
whatever
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Need a quadcopter symbol.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#41]

I'm thinking I'm going to buy a parakeet and register the parakeet with the FAA to my dog.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So... The FAA... That has NO Art 1 Sec 8 power to exist in the first place... Is now rewriting major statutes absent even unConstitutional legislation passed by Congress? And requiring a fee/tax on top of it?

Yeah... I'll comply with that... In about... Never.
View Quote

They, unlike many other organizations, do have a prima facie interstate commerce argument.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Gotta love the 4th branch of the government. Agencies - minimal oversight, minimal transparency, ability to disregard public commentary, and Byzantine appeals processes for citizens who may be unfairly treated.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I think some of you guys are missing the upside to all of this.  I'm a recognized pilot now!  Chicks dig pilots!
View Quote

No, they do not.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The FAA is basically an unarmed ATF.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#46]
What about 80% drone builds, do we have to register those?

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

They, unlike many other organizations, do have a prima facie interstate commerce argument.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So... The FAA... That has NO Art 1 Sec 8 power to exist in the first place... Is now rewriting major statutes absent even unConstitutional legislation passed by Congress? And requiring a fee/tax on top of it?

I don't know the FARs, but have they always been able to claim jurisdiction over all uncontrolled airspace below 500'?

The now superseded regulation makes some reference to being able to sustain flight as a defining characteristic. Under that rule, none of my RC helicopters would qualify when flown by my ape-like grace.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not everything they set their gaze upon is interstate commerce, however.

Merely owning something is not commerce, much less interstate commerce.   But yeah, Wickard v Filburn.

Logically speaking, unless someone is paying me to fly something through the air and across State lines, no flying interstate commerce has occurred.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#49]
So frisbees and paper planes don't require registration because there is no direct control link to a person but a model rocket does require registration because.....?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Land of the free my ass.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top