Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks to me that arresting officer screwed up and supervisor corrected his error, there should be consequenses to the arresting officer for screwing up like that
View Quote

I'm certain he will get a bad YELP review...
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#2]
How would showing the cop his ID prove or disprove whether or not he did whatever unknown action some unknown person accused him of doing?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yep.  There is no "right" to see a supervisor. He may even be home in bed in small depts.
View Quote

My guys always giggle when this happens.  They know that if I show up, it's going to be exciting.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

My guys always giggle when this happens.  They know that if I show up, it's going to be exciting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  There is no "right" to see a supervisor. He may even be home in bed in small depts.

Does that mean that you'll simply back any bullshit that they're trying to pull?  Or will you actually look at the situation with an open mind, and listen to the facts before ascertaining that the citizen is guilty of something?

What would you have done in this case, i.e., why would your guys giggle about you being called to this scene in particular?

@vojta
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Title should probably be "SJW lies about person with Trump Mask".
View Quote

DING! DING! Didn't anybody else notice the guys mask? He was "SWAT'ed" buy some miserable fuck in the store because he's wearing a Trump mask. Can you find out via FIA who made that call so you can sue the fuck out of them?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My question is should a cop be crucified over every case of false arrest or do we look at circumstances surrounding it as well as harm done? zero tolerance ?
View Quote
I have no issue with taking events into consideration.  

Just realize though that every job has a minimum level of competency that is required.  From ditch digger to CEO of a large company.  I know a guy working excavation that decided to dig without a locate, cut a line, got fired.  CEO of Bayer decided to buy Monsanto while they were under trial.  Both of these people got fired for lack of a basic level of competency.

It is in my opinion a basic level of competency issue to know whether someone has to show you their ID before you go hands on and arrest them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What circumstances can possibly excuse the absence of Reasonable Articulable Suspicion?
View Quote

This video clearly shows the cop screwed up but in others it's not so clear until later after more facts come out, I'm not defending this cop but in other cases it's not so clear cut, I'm still not willing to condemn all cops, shitty job, I couldn't do it because the temptation to screw over a dirtbags rights would be to great
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How would showing the cop his ID prove or disprove whether or not he did whatever unknown action some unknown person accused him of doing?
View Quote

It wouldn't.  But they weren't smart enough to have any other plan in regards to an investigation into the incident.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:07:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks to me that arresting officer screwed up and supervisor corrected his error, there should be consequenses to the arresting officer for screwing up like that
View Quote

meh, maybe some retraining and PTO will fix the problem.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#10]
This type of ignorance of such a basic part of your job is unacceptable. Departments spend large budgets on training. If your officers don't understand the basics of their job.

How are they supposed be trusted to handle complex issues. That handled poorly can result in severe consequences.

The sad thing is. Every officer there went along with violating this man's constitutional rights and traumatizing his son. All in the name of communistic power hungry totalitarianism.

Disgusting. It is dumb fucks like this that cause distrust from the public.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Winning hearts and minds!

Cliff notes: they arrest the guy because he had brown hair and didn’t want to show them ID.
View Quote

Most cops have a hardon for this kind of shit and beating on college drunks. It beats police work.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Cops get a call for a drunk driver, with description of "brown haired guy with 3 year old," and attempt to ID a dude with the 3 year old. Dude knows his rights and refuses. Cops threaten to take his kid and arrest him, and then arrest him and take his kid.

The shocking conclusion: The SGT showed up, actually knows the law, manages to actually do the right thing, and cuts him loose.

8/10 for Jack knowing his rights, but should have called for a supervisor immediately.

2/10 for cops arresting for refusal to ID.

7/10 for SGT correcting the idiocy of his supervised.

eta: brown hair and rating for coppers
View Quote

Probably give sarge a little more credit for following the law vs. simply supporting their officers.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My question is should a cop be crucified over every case of false arrest or do we look at circumstances surrounding it as well as harm done? zero tolerance ?
View Quote

Circumstances should certainly be considered.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#14]

“Driving a car...of some sort.”

One of my favorite Chief Wiggum moments
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  Arresting someone for not breaking the law should be much more serious than how they let that play out.  Something of that magnitude in my profession would have severe repercussions.
View Quote

There used to be an old TX LEO manual from the 70s online that told officers that they would be held criminally and civilly liable for things like illegal searches, false arrests, etc,.  I guess that mostly went away when qualified immunity was invented in the 80s.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

It wouldn't.

But by golly they were there to arrest someone.

If they get his ID maybe he has a unpaid parking ticket or past due library book.

The drunk driving thing was just a pretense to go fishing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Violating someone's civil rights is ok as long as the police say "whoops, our bad" afterwards.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Seems the police are trying to take the number 1 spot of the most hated group of people in America away from politicians.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bro are you even a cop?!

You wouldn't understand!

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm curious what our JBT mods think?  Don't ban me yet SS
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#21]
police are simply not helping their cause here.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"Someone called and said someone did something but they didn't give much of a description. We need your ID so we can find out whether you're the guy we have no description of."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i8j414_US8
View Quote

Wow.

Bad bad bad officer behavior there. They were totally ready to slap that guy with resisting too. Once they saw that the guy wasn't drunk, he is obviously not your suspect, move along. Odds are while they were fucking around with the wrong guy, the guy they actually wanted left.

The police are, many times, their own worst enemies. I 100% guarantee they made dire enemies of not only him but his entire family and friends as well if he already was not one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Violating someone's civil rights is ok as long as the police say "whoops, our bad" afterwards.
View Quote

Honest mistakes do happen. Still sucks for the victim, but those situations mostly call for restitution/compensation of some sort rather than being cancelled completely. It's not necessarily an indictment on the officer's character.

This was far from an honest mistake, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#24]

I think we could get by with half the number of cops and x3 the current salaries.  Get real hard chagers with brains instead of fat authoritarian idiots.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
police are simply not helping their cause here.
View Quote

Any department that does this need to disband.  I'm in the NWA camp.  Police State
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are in their secret squirrel forum going over talking points as we speak!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#27]
If he would have just licked the boots and backed the blue this wouldn't have happened.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah, just finished watching the relevant parts and they supervisor confirms this.

I'd give the supervisor some credit for knowing the law, but he hem haws around about it and even has the officer that arrested the dude tell him that he should give his ID even though the law doesn't require it.

It blows my mind that this very basic understanding of the law on how officers should interact with the public isn't known by police officers.  Arresting someone for not breaking the law should be much more serious than how they let that play out.  Something of that magnitude in my profession would have severe repercussions.
View Quote
No kidding. It seems to me that knowing whether or not a person has to identify themselves would be pretty basic knowledge for a cop.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
15 minutes?

I'll wait for the cliff notes.
View Quote

Police get a non description of a guy possibly maybe doing something illegal. They then decide to accost some rando in the checkout line who kinda sorta matches the non description they got and play the show me some ID game.

Rando decides he doesn't want to play the game and declines to show them ID so since authority wasn't respected the cuffs come out and rando gets shoved around, cuffed and stuffed for no reason.

Sergeant shows up and they have a parking lot circle jerk trying to decide what they arrested rando for. After knocking their heads together they decide there was nothing they could have charged him with and they done goofed. Rando gets released and the tax payer gets to foot another legal bill because some butthurt retards got touched in the feels.

Same old story as always.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Honest mistakes do happen. Still sucks for the victim, but those situations mostly call for restitution/compensation of some sort rather than being cancelled completely. It's not necessarily an indictment on the officer's character.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An honest mistake would be arresting a guy covered in blood kneeling next to his dead wife when in actuality he just got home, found her dead, and he was holding her while grieving for his loved one.

Going hands on because a dad won't produce his papers is straight up STASI and is an indictment of the officer's character and the department's policies in re citizen's rights.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
LOL At the end, what looks like a manager that just walked to the scene after it was over and seems to know one of the cops and says, "You let him walk away? What the hell?" He didn't even know or understood what happened but seemed bummed that they let the guy go. What's even sadder is he's not the only who has that ignorant mentality.
View Quote

I thought the best part was the passerby that thanked them for their service. Maybe someday that person will find themselves on the receiving end of what the guy in the backseat was going through and rethink that comment.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Notice they're not even "just following the law for muh dental plan".
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

DING! DING! Didn't anybody else notice the guys mask? He was "SWAT'ed" buy some miserable fuck in the store because he's wearing a Trump mask. Can you find out via FIA who made that call so you can sue the fuck out of them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was entirely about that mask and nothing else. Whoever called it in was watching the whole time and probably jerking off.

Fry that entire department of deep sea fish. Fat fucking brainless morons.

That one video of the cop getting jumped in the hood while 20 people stand around and watch is about where I’m at with cops anymore. I used to support them as regular people doing a tough job, but they have shown their true colors this last year.

I hope that guy gets a huge pay out.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well in this case once they realized they fucked up they stood around and debated if there was anything else they could charge him with before cutting him loose.

I say fire those shitheads. That's not the sort of law enforcement that anyone wants or needs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

@vojta

There is a whole lotta explanation required here.

You would back up your people even when they do something as pants on head retarded as going hands on with someone not providing ID? I was always astonished by the compound stupidity of some of the other officers I worked with.

Particularly so when their only description was, "Brown hair with child" and nothing else?

You have bad case law with your name written all over it if that's the case. I never want *ANY* case law with my name on it anywhere. Maybe you city guys should follow suit there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So far the talking point seems to be ignore the actual story and make jokes about having to call a supervisor to the scene.

You know typical bullshit to sidestep over the actual reason we are having this conversation. Because it’s so hard to say, wow those fucking cops are JBT and shouldn’t be working as a cop.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#37]
What a bunch of dumbfuck, and I mean dumbfuck cops on this one.

Infuriating.

Without body cams he would be spending 5 grand or more to defend himself from resisting charges.

I love the smirk from the split tail do nothing cop at the end right before she says “next time he’ll ID himself.

These cops are dumbasses.  

Props to the guy for telling the cop “your dismissed asshole” after they let him go while he tried to explain his fuck up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This was entirely about that mask and nothing else. Whoever called it in was watching the whole time and probably jerking off.

That one video of the cop getting jumped in the hood while 20 people stand around and watch is about where I’m at with cops anymore. I used to support them as regular people doing a tough job, but they have shown their true colors this last year.

View Quote

How's this mentality any different from lefties spitting on Vietnam vets?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. Burden is on you as the one arresting to be right about removing someone's freedom..  you are, after all, cancelling their constitutional rights at that point.

When you say harm done... Are you implying physical harm to the father, in cases like this? Emotional? How about the kid and what he went through seeing all of that?

Zero tolerance for bogus arrests? Is that what you're asking? The answer is yes. This should not be tolerated.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They should have told him "it was just a prank bro" when they let him go. That makes everything better.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#41]
There will be a payout (most likely around 25k, maybe more)

You have a 1983 violation as a federal charge but a crafty attorney will go after the mental anguish for the toddler.  Seeing daddy arrest makes him cry every time he sees a cop.....

Also, F’ing stupid cops. This case law is so old there is no excuse for not knowing it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
LOL At the end, what looks like a manager that just walked to the scene after it was over and seems to know one of the cops and says, "You let him walk away? What the hell?" He didn't even know or understood what happened but seemed bummed that they let the guy go. What's even sadder is he's not the only who has that ignorant mentality.
View Quote

Probably damn near impossible but would be great to find out if the call came from a Walmart employee. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if it did, trying to give him a bad day due to the Trump mask.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
So inform me then, what would be giggle worthy for the topic at hand? If they were my guys they would be far from giggling. But I tend to hold those that work for me to a high standard, sorry you don't.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want to try again?

What are we supposed to do? Shrug our shoulders and go back to licking their boots?

They wield immense power to fuck with people, when it is misused the hammer of justice needs to fall so ducking hard that the next fat deep sea fish triple chin motherfucker that thinks they’re going to harass someone “because they can” will think twice before doing so.

These idiots work for us, they are not here to harass and intimidate people. We are way past needing to recalibrate where the line is.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That one video of the cop getting jumped in the hood while 20 people stand around and watch is about where I'm at with cops anymore. I used to support them as regular people doing a tough job, but they have shown their true colors this last year.

What
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo!.. And those fucking useless scumbags abused him.... Every one of THEM should be arrested.. I will NEVER again have any respect for ANY LE until this shit is corrected... How in the thin blue fuck could anyone put on a badge and act like that?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You want to try again?

What are we supposed to do? Shrug our shoulders and go back to licking their boots?

They wield immense power to fuck with people, when it is misused the hammer of justice needs to fall so ducking hard that the next fat deep sea fish triple chin motherfucker that thinks they’re going to harass someone “because they can” will think twice before doing so.

These idiots work for us, they are not here to harass and intimidate people. We are way past needing to recalibrate where the line is.
View Quote

There's a difference between this explanation and saying that you'd watch any cop get "jumped on" and not do anything because you don't like them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Rowf! Rowf! 'Papieren, Bitte!' Rowf!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Cops get a call for a drunk driver, with description of "brown haired guy with 3 year old," and attempt to ID a dude with the 3 year old. Dude knows his rights and refuses. Cops threaten to take his kid and arrest him, and then arrest him and take his kid.

The shocking conclusion: The SGT showed up, actually knows the law, manages to actually do the right thing, and cuts him loose.

8/10 for Jack knowing his rights, but should have called for a supervisor immediately.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
15 minutes?

I'll wait for the cliff notes.

I would have given the Sgt 10/10 because doing what he did GUARANTEES he will catch a substantial amount of flack from superiors, as well as opens the department up for a lawsuit (although what he did will GREATLY mitigate damages).
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Okay, I'll admit it, I don't understand your story.
They had a description that matched your son, and a tag number that came back to one of your cars?
Unless I misunderstand, that sounds a lot like he did it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had something like this happen years ago .    Except that it involved one of sons .
Cops showed up at the front door one morning and said that they had a report of someone vandalizing cars in the neighborhood .   And they had a tag number .  And a description of the person .  Supposed to match my son.
They proceeded to try and hand me a long line of BS .
Finally after I had a much of their lies as I could stand I called my wife and brought her up to speed on the happenings .   And I made sure to reaffirm how the car was titled .
I turned to the officers and told them to leave my property as quickly as they could .
You see all our cars and trucks are titled in my wife's name .  And have been for years .
Busted .
gd
Okay, I'll admit it, I don't understand your story.
They had a description that matched your son, and a tag number that came back to one of your cars?
Unless I misunderstand, that sounds a lot like he did it.

Yeah, pretty much.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top