Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 358
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Can anyone here recall any other insanely popular and well reviewed (at one point) drama in which so many of the actors on the show have publicly trashed the final season's writing during interviews before the season even finished airing?

Like ever?

Because I sure can't.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s started going downhill fast in season 7. Remember this scene?https://i.redd.it/qqqcg0awk3x21.gif
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It’s started going downhill fast in season 7. Remember this scene?https://i.redd.it/qqqcg0awk3x21.gif
View Quote
Damn that was well done.  I tried copying it to send it but that didn’t work lol
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a feeling after Sunday's episode there will be no defenders left. Even the hardcore's are running out of steam at this point.
View Quote
Episodes 5 and 6 could literally be 160 mins of nothing but showing a zoomed in picture of a turd and there would be still be some Dumb and Dumber loyalists defending the show telling the rest of us we just don't understand, subverted expectations, etc.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So I saw this image and I rolled my eyes. Aren’t they a little close to the walls? Besides the ballistics, there are nobody on the walls. And why the fuck is the golden company outside the fucking castle? It’s going to be another terrible battle again, isn’t it?

https://i.imgur.com/riVeb0T.jpg
View Quote
It isn't unheard of in history for armies to fight outside their walls, it was actually quite common in ancient history. It wasn't in medieval history, as those fortifications were clearly designed to withstand sieges, whereas ancient walled towns were really passive countermeasures.

I think there could be some merit to the idea that Cercei's remaining army, primarily the 10,000 strong Golden Company, would prefer to fight outside the walls. After all, Dany's army is mostly gone, and her sole remaining dragon is checked by scorpians. Should they allow a siege, Cercei needs to defend the entire wall, has issues with supply (most of food plundered from Reach was destroyed in Dragon/Dothraki attack), and would have serious worry about betrayal, as a primary means of siegecraft throughout history was deceit, all it takes is one of the seven gates being purposely opened and they only hold the Red Keep. Fighting outside the walls they can still be covered by missile weapons on the battlements and turrets, and can retreat inside if things get bad, as long as a rear guard is established.

My question, why does the Kings Landinh wall look so unimposing? Turrets are unimpressive. No moat, or even a ditch outside the walls. No barbicon, portcullis, or draw bridge at the gate. Its like somebody who doesn't know much about medieval history designed the set. Same with Winterfell, hardly an impressive castle. Embarrassing really.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hopefully Season 8 will kill off any chance D&D has for a Starwars trilogy.
View Quote
Star Wars is dead regardless.  For the foreseeable future the best we can hope for is more stuff like this.

A 6 minute clip FAR more entertaining than the entire TLJ film.

Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Season 7 we got Dragon action to distract us from the bad writing, now that the novelty of Dragons fucking shit up is wearing off people are starting to notice the poor writing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Episodes 5 and 6 could literally be 160 mins of nothing but showing a zoomed in picture of a turd and there would be still be some Dumb and Dumber loyalists defending the show telling the rest of us we just don't understand, subverted expectations, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a feeling after Sunday's episode there will be no defenders left. Even the hardcore's are running out of steam at this point.
It seems important that everyone equally hate this show to you.   Why is that?
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you need an example of why that won't happen: please see the post right above this one.

I suspect though we will see a shift with the Dumb and Dumber loyalists spending less time attempting to defend the show and more time launching personal insults at people because deep down they know the show's writing is indefensible at this point.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to poke the bear and have a little fun, here's my predictions-

Arya kills Cersei
The Hound kills the mountain
Daenerys and Drogon are killed in battle
Yara sneaks up on Euron during battle and kills him
Jamie and Tyrion are killed in battle
Jon Snow is the King, The End
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Arya kills Cersei
View Quote
I'm OK with that...
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Season 7 we got Dragon action to distract us from the bad writing, now that the novelty of Dragons fucking shit up is wearing off people are starting to notice the poor writing.
View Quote
I also think people wanted the NK to do more.

People were actively working against the NK. Pulling armies together. Changing the destiny of those seeking the throne. Bringing together people who had been at war since the wall went up...

All to have a character who wasn’t actively working against the NK kill him.

There are no payoffs so far.

No death has been a surprise. Actually, people surviving has been surprising.

Characters are doing the opposite of what their arc has brought them too. The past 7 seasons meant nothing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can anyone here recall any other insanely popular and well reviewed (at one point) drama in which so many of the actors on the show have publicly trashed the final season's writing during interviews before the season even finished airing?

Like ever?

Because I sure can't.
View Quote
Can you post a list of those interviews?
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Arya kills Cersei
View Quote
Jon won’t be king.

Arya will get killed by the mountain. Hound will die too.

Discount Jack Sparrow and everyone else gets buttfucked by drogon when he goes HAM on the entire city and opposing forces.

Plot armor will protect DROGON.

I don’t think we will see YARA anymore. I think Bron will mindfuck the mountain. If he can control Hodor...he can control the mountain.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Arya kills Cersei
View Quote
Only one of those may happen, two tops.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like ever?

Because I sure can't.
Kit Harrington was asked in an interview to describe the final episode in one word.  He said "disappointing."

I didn't see it because I'm not going to watch Anderson Cooper, but reportedly during an interview with him Dinklage said the writing didn't make sense.

The guy that plays Gendry called what his character did after becoming a lord "idiotic."

Here is the Maisie Williams (Arya) quote about what she thought after finding out Arya was going to be the one to kill the NK:

“... I immediately thought that everybody would hate it. That Arya doesn’t deserve it. The hardest thing is in any series is when you build up a villain that’s so impossible to defeat and then you defeat them. It has to be intelligently done because otherwise people are like, ‘Well, [the villain] couldn’t have been that bad when some 45kg girl comes in and stabs him.’ You gotta make it cool. And then I told my boyfriend and he was like, ‘Mmm, should be Jon though really, shouldn’t it?’”

That's just off the top of my head.

Also keep in mind this is still while the show is airing new episodes. I expect as time goes on more and more are going to talk about it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm praying that Bronn gets crowned king but I'd settle for watching the writers and producers get kicked in the balls.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#19]
So good! Firing on all cylinders.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm praying that Bronn gets crowned king but I'd settle for watching the writers and producers get kicked in the balls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to see the coffee cup become king.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh wow That would reallllly be
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Jon won’t be king.

Discount Jack Sparrow and everyone else gets buttfucked by drogon when he goes HAM on the entire city and opposing forces.

I don’t think we will see YARA anymore. I think Bron will mindfuck the mountain. If he can control Hodor...he can control the mountain.
View Quote
Brilliant!  Have a Bran wog into whoever needs killing and kill themselves.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It already is in our hearts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It already is in our hearts.
It is known.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Kit Harrington was asked in an interview to describe the final episode in one word.  He said "disappointing."

I didn't see it because I'm not going to watch Anderson Cooper, but reportedly during an interview with him Dinklage said the writing didn't make sense.

The guy that plays Gendry called what his character did after becoming a lord "idiotic."

Here is the Maisie Williams (Arya) quote about what she thought after finding out Arya was going to be the one to kill the NK:

“... I immediately thought that everybody would hate it. That Arya doesn’t deserve it. The hardest thing is in any series is when you build up a villain that’s so impossible to defeat and then you defeat them. It has to be intelligently done because otherwise people are like, ‘Well, [the villain] couldn’t have been that bad when some 45kg girl comes in and stabs him.’ You gotta make it cool. And then I told my boyfriend and he was like, ‘Mmm, should be Jon though really, shouldn’t it?’”

Also keep in mind this is still while the show is airing new episodes. I expect as time goes on more and more are going to talk about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like ever?

Because I sure can't.

"Brace yourselves..."
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Is this clusterfuck a case of too much cocaine or not enough cocaine?
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not enough talent and not enough of giving a fuck.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Heroin is better known for inspiring creatively, at least musically in the 1990’s.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Jon won’t be king.

View Quote
I completely forgot about Bran
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Heroin is better known for inspiring creatively, at least musically in the 1990’s.
View Quote
It’s also know to turn musicians into artists. Take Cobain for example, he painted a ceiling with his face.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nah. Art is associated with madness and angst, and so is heroine use.

Cocaine launched a thousand careers in showbiz.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It’s also know to turn musicians into artists. Take Cobain for example, he painted a ceiling with his face.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Arya kills Cersei
View Quote
I'm gonna be bold here. I think 1/2 of one line is correct. The rest is not.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It isn't unheard of in history for armies to fight outside their walls, it was actually quite common in ancient history. It wasn't in medieval history, as those fortifications were clearly designed to withstand sieges, whereas ancient walled towns were really passive countermeasures.

I think there could be some merit to the idea that Cercei's remaining army, primarily the 10,000 strong Golden Company, would prefer to fight outside the walls. After all, Dany's army is mostly gone, and her sole remaining dragon is checked by scorpians. Should they allow a siege, Cercei needs to defend the entire wall, has issues with supply (most of food plundered from Reach was destroyed in Dragon/Dothraki attack), and would have serious worry about betrayal, as a primary means of siegecraft throughout history was deceit, all it takes is one of the seven gates being purposely opened and they only hold the Red Keep. Fighting outside the walls they can still be covered by missile weapons on the battlements and turrets, and can retreat inside if things get bad, as long as a rear guard is established.

My question, why does the Kings Landinh wall look so unimposing? Turrets are unimpressive. No moat, or even a ditch outside the walls. No barbicon, portcullis, or draw bridge at the gate. Its like somebody who doesn't know much about medieval history designed the set. Same with Winterfell, hardly an impressive castle. Embarrassing really.
View Quote
Most likely because the folks in charge are idiots.

But one might consider plot reasons for the GC to be outside.

And I agree on the castles.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Well I know it wouldn't subvert and expectations, and I know it's not going to happen, but here's how I'd predictably end the series.

Varys is killed for being a snake
Jamie and Euron die because reasons
Cersei is killed while looking Arya in the face
The mountain dies

Jon takes the Iron throne, Dany becomes the Queen
Tyrion is hand of the king.
Sansa is Warden of the North.
Gendry is Lord of Storms End
Yara is Lord of the Iron Islands

The small council consists of-
Qyburn because he's awesome (or maybe he dies?)
Tyrion because Tyrion (he goes back to drinking)
Sam because he's smarter than everyone (but bad at making decisions)
Davos because he's extremely shrewd
Bran because he's useful.

The citadel is blown up (figuratively, not literally) for being stupid and useless in the face of the greatest crisis the world has ever seen. Sam oversees the efforts.

The Bran/Sam/Qyburn trio rediscover the secret of Valyrian Steel
Dany works with Bran to re-establish dragons
The wall is rebuilt and Night's Watch reformed

The Wall is rebuilt and the nights watch is re-established.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you need an example of why that won't happen: please see the post right above this one.

I suspect though we will see a shift with the Dumb and Dumber loyalists spending less time attempting to defend the show and more time launching personal insults at people because deep down they know the show's writing is indefensible at this point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You realize this is a tv show, right?  Some times they hit right, sometimes they fail miserably.

You seem really wrapped up in this silly fantasy show.  Like it actually matters.  Thats strange.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#38]
This whole thing would be over quick if queen dragontits would just air assault a platoon size element into the red keep at night. Couple guards awake, if that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You realize this is a tv show, right?  Some times they hit right, sometimes they fail miserably.

You seem really wrapped up in this silly fantasy show.  Like it actually matters.  Thats strange.
View Quote
And you are complaining about people complaining about a fantasy show...strange how that doesn't matter either.

People care about different things than you...go figure.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Jon won’t be king.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arya kills Cersei
Jon won’t be king.

I agree. The end is going to have very little resolution and closure.

However, I think that Arya needs to be killed by the mountain. I would welcome that more than her killing the mountain and then killing Cersei and being the untouchable, "you go girl!" hat trick.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's kinda funny how worked up you're getting that more and more people are realizing the show has become a train wreck.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I agree. The end is going to have very little resolution and closure.

However, I think that Arya needs to be killed by the mountain. I would welcome that more than her killing the mountain and then killing Cersei and being the untouchable, "you go girl!" hat trick.
View Quote
Arya is basically Captain Marvell in a SJW season...no way she is going to be taken out.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This whole thing would be over quick if queen dragontits would just air assault a platoon size element into the red keep at night. Couple guards awake, if that.
View Quote
A platoon? Nah, one girl, who can already damn near fly, is all it would take
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#44]
When you turn on the TV or go to the movies you are the mercy of Hollywood writers and producers.

Sometimes they give you what they want but more often than not they give you shit.

GoT is no different.  As long as they were using GRRM's source material it was hard to fuck it up because it was such a rich story.  Now that they are winging it then we get typical Hollywood shit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well I know it wouldn't subvert and expectations, and I know it's not going to happen, but here's how I'd predictably end the series.

Varys is killed for being a snake
Jamie and Euron die because reasons
Cersei is killed while looking Arya in the face
The mountain dies

Jon takes the Iron throne, Dany becomes the Queen
Tyrion is hand of the king.
Sansa is Warden of the North.
Gendry is Lord of Storms End
Yara is Lord of the Iron Islands

The small council consists of-
Qyburn because he's awesome (or maybe he dies?)
Tyrion because Tyrion (he goes back to drinking)
Sam because he's smarter than everyone (but bad at making decisions)
Davos because he's extremely shrewd
Bran because he's useful.

The citadel is blown up (figuratively, not literally) for being stupid and useless in the face of the greatest crisis the world has ever seen. Sam oversees the efforts.

The Bran/Sam/Qyburn trio rediscover the secret of Valyrian Steel
Dany works with Bran to re-establish dragons
The wall is rebuilt and Night's Watch reformed

The Wall is rebuilt and the nights watch is re-established.
View Quote
But why?
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are a lot of people that have an unhealthy obsession with hating this show.  All the Game of Thrones reddits and discussion boards are showing now how toxic fandom can become.

It's funny how people post everyday about how bad the show is and watch videos 20 or even 40 min long about how someone else hates the show.  They put more effort into hating the show than Martin does writing the remaining books.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
When you turn on the TV or go to the movies you are the mercy of Hollywood writers and producers.

Sometimes they give you what they want but more often than not they give you shit.

GoT is no different.  As long as they were using GRRM's source material it was hard to fuck it up because it was such a rich story.  Now that they are winging it then we get typical Hollywood shit.
View Quote
People can't come to terms with the fact that GOT or ASOIF isn't their story.  They spent years coming up with all kinds of theories and now when reality comes out that messes with their headcanon.  There is no way to resolve the plot and keep everyone happy.  The author can't finish the story on his own, so how does it make sense to direct all the anger at the only people that were able to actually produce and deliver a final product.

Also, D&D made a lot of good changes from the books in the show.  They remove a lot of nonsense and unnecessary characters and side plots from the show version to actually keep things moving.  I know GRRM likes to keep the main plot at a snails pace, maybe Dany will actually get to Westeros 3 more books from now, what's the rush?  People also forget GRRM has a lot of garbage writing and dialog in the books.  D&D added the Arya/Tywin scenes and wrote a lot of the Varys/Littlefinger dialog which were very good.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm gonna be bold here. I think 1/2 of one line is correct. The rest is not.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

There are a lot of people that have an unhealthy obsession with hating this show.  All the Game of Thrones reddits and discussion boards are showing now how toxic fandom can become.

It's funny how people post everyday about how bad the show is and watch videos 20 or even 40 min long about how someone else hates the show.  They put more effort into hating the show than Martin does writing the remaining books.
View Quote
So what? It’s no different than people obsessing over how great they think it is.
We’re not thought police, let people feel however they like about it. Ok, mom?
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

People can't come to terms with the fact that GOT or ASOIF isn't their story.  They spent years coming up with all kinds of theories and now when reality comes out that messes with their headcanon.  There is no way to resolve the plot and keep everyone happy.  The author can't finish the story on his own, so how does it make sense to direct all the anger at the only people that were able to actually produce and deliver a final product.

Also, D&D made a lot of good changes from the books in the show.  They remove a lot of nonsense and unnecessary characters and side plots from the show version to actually keep things moving.  I know GRRM likes to keep the main plot at a snails pace, maybe Dany will actually get to Westeros 3 more books from now, what's the rush?  People also forget GRRM has a lot of garbage writing and dialog in the books.  D&D added the Arya/Tywin scenes and wrote a lot of the Varys/Littlefinger dialog which were very good.
View Quote
You don't like other people's opinions...got it.

You basically want to forget the first 5-6 seasons, forget side stories that matter, dumb down the plot to 5th grade level and are OK with it. Yeah, haters are the problem. Nobody made HBO cut the series short or wrap it up this season.
Page / 358
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top