BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 358
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there a real world example of the second son being heir apparent to a lesser house due to his older brother being heir to a greater one, like Luke and Jace?
View Quote
Louis XIV and his brother Phillipe, Duke of Orleans.

When Philippe's uncle Gaston died in February 1660, the Duchy of Orl ans reverted to the crown, as he had no surviving male issue. The duchy was one of the most highly regarded appanages of the ancien r gime, and it was traditionally Philippe's birthright as the brother of the king. Thus, at the death of Gaston, Philippe himself took on the new style of Duke of Orl ans and Louis XIV granted Philippe the title officially on 10 May 1661 along with the subsidiary titles duke of Valois and duke of Chartres, all registered peerages with the Parlement de Paris. He was also granted the lordship of Montargis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_I,_Duke_of_Orl%C3%A9ans#Duke_of_Orl%C3%A9ans
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#2]
From last week:

Harketh, Mr Williams Speaks....

House of the Dragon 1x10 (REACTION/FINALE!) "The Black Queen"
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is there a real world example of the second son being heir apparent to a lesser house due to his older brother being heir to a greater one, like Luke and Jace?
View Quote

As a Targaryen what lesser house would he have claim to?
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

House Velaryon - Lord of the Tides and Master of Driftmark

He is a Velaryon (paternal) as well as a Targaryen (maternal)
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#5]

The Critical Drinker
House Of The Dragon - It's Excellent
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I finally started watching.  I think I am on episode 5 or 6 now.  So far it's not grabbing me like got did.  I keep wandering off or scrolling through my phone instead of watching.

I did stop to watch the gay black white haired  guy making out in the dunes.  That was hot.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#7]
They also got rid of an executive producer, Jocelyn Diaz -

https://deadline.com/2022/09/house-of-the-dragon-jocelyn-diaz-exits-season-2-executive-producer-1235127500/

Here is here IMDB page.

From the stuff she produced it is my opinion this another part of the problem gone.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:30:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They also got rid of an executive producer, Jocelyn Diaz -

https://deadline.com/2022/09/house-of-the-dragon-jocelyn-diaz-exits-season-2-executive-producer-1235127500/

Here is here IMDB page.

From the stuff she produced it is my opinion this another part of the problem gone.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Show was a giant stinky rotten whore used dildo Kweef monger lacking in any or all magic contained in GoT seasons 1-3.

Rot in hell you giant sow sweat hog.

Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been rewatching GOT and it's so much better than HOTD it's not even funny.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven’t seen any of the 3 shows, but this made me chuckle:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Honest Trailers | House of the Dragon
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I am laying around recovering from a surgery and decided to binge the entire season. I was hoping it would put the show in a better light.

No such luck. It is actually worse IMO. One thing that really stood out was how weak King Viserys was.

Watching all the after show AAR's I really think HBO needs to shitcan a bunch more people on this if they have any hope of making this show epic like GoT.

Here is to hoping HBO knows that when you play the game of thrones you either win or you die.

ETA - one thing that stood out was that they cheesed out on the budget. I do not understand how you could take all the success of Got and not get a good budget to work with.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am laying around recovering from a surgery and decided to binge the entire season. I was hoping it would put the show in a better light.

No such luck. It is actually worse IMO. One thing that really stood out was how weak King Viserys was.

Watching all the after show AAR's I really think HBO needs to shitcan a bunch more people on this if they have any hope of making this show epic like GoT.

Here is to hoping HBO knows that when you play the game of thrones you either win or you die.

ETA - one thing that stood out was that they cheesed out on the budget. I do not understand how you could take all the success of Got and not get a good budget to work with.
View Quote
The budget for GoT was around $6 million per episode in season one and rose to around $15 million per episode by the end.  This show had a budget of $20 million per episode.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The budget for GoT was around $6 million per episode in season one and rose to around $15 million per episode by the end.  This show had a budget of $20 million per episode.
View Quote

Well some of looks like someone pocketed a bunch of money.

The boat scenes look like they were done by a high school drama department. The dragons were really hit or miss. The was CGI that was poorly done.

I had already posted about the shitty job they did with the soundtrack.

IDK with a lot of GoT it felt like you were there. This is just something I am watching on TV. Everything feels small. IDK how much of not caring about a single character in this plays into that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Daemon Targaryen | Seven Nation Army | House of the Dragon
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I haven't seen HotD so I can't speak to that, but I have noticed the Drinker does sometimes have a gross overvaluation of tv shows/films he thought were going to be total shit (so he went in with EXTREMELY low expectations), but instead it ended up just being "ehh."  Prey, for example.  Its basically the equivent of eating something you think is going to be some of the nastiest food you've ever consumed in your life, instead it ends up tasting like a typical fast food hamburger, and then you hype it up like you just ate a very good ribeye.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Update on The Winds Of Winter - George R. R. Martin
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 4:52:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGWKQ9yzcBI
View Quote

He’s 74 and morbidly obese.

He will not be alive long enough to finish the series.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

He’s 74 and morbidly obese.

View Quote

Exactly.   What's it been?  11 years since the last book?  

Each book has taken him longer to write.

Even a conservative estimate of 13-14 years to finish the last book puts him at 87-88 years old.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#21]
GRRM has said he had to go back and rewrite Bran's parts. He said Bran has been the most difficult character to write.

I guess that is because he has to sell Bran's "good story". Bran has to be 10 feet tall now seeing how fans of the TV show did not buy that line.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

He's 74 and morbidly obese.

View Quote
Do you think Brandon Sanderson will be bold enough to change the ending so Bran isn't king?  
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Exactly.   What's it been?  11 years since the last book?  

Each book has taken him longer to write.

Even a conservative estimate of 13-14 years to finish the last book puts him at 87-88 years old.
View Quote

It's interesting that his output dropped to zero when his assistants/ghost writers left to write The Expanse series
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 11:52:26 PM EDT
[#24]
GRRM once said he writes like a gardener:
He writes wherever the story takes him.

He has some serious pruning and weeding to do
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 11:57:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
GRRM once said he writes like a gardener:
View Quote

He shows up to work drunk, takes a siesta from 12pm to 2pm, then leaves at 3pm?
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 2:09:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Started watching this and I’m 3 or 4 episodes in; it’s kinda hard to get into. They seem to have taken all the humor out of it. Where’s the Tyrian character making jokes about everything? Or someone like the Hound and his cynical swearing apathy? Or the kid that gets free rides at the brothel because he’s got a huge dick? This show just seems to take itself too seriously. Does it get better?
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Started watching this and I’m 3 or 4 episodes in; it’s kinda hard to get into. They seem to have taken all the humor out of it. Where’s the Tyrian character making jokes about everything? Or someone like the Hound and his cynical swearing apathy? Or the kid that gets free rides at the brothel because he’s got a huge dick? This show just seems to take itself too seriously. Does it get better?
View Quote

Not really
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:51:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Has this been posted yet?
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Started watching this and I'm 3 or 4 episodes in; it's kinda hard to get into. They seem to have taken all the humor out of it. Where's the Tyrian character making jokes about everything? Or someone like the Hound and his cynical swearing apathy? Or the kid that gets free rides at the brothel because he's got a huge dick? This show just seems to take itself too seriously. Does it get better?
View Quote
Sounds like you'd be better off just rewatching the first seasons of GoT if you're looking for a GoT reboot
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Started watching this and I'm 3 or 4 episodes in; it's kinda hard to get into. They seem to have taken all the humor out of it. Where's the Tyrian character making jokes about everything? Or someone like the Hound and his cynical swearing apathy? Or the kid that gets free rides at the brothel because he's got a huge dick? This show just seems to take itself too seriously. Does it get better?
View Quote
Yes, the entire discussion the last few pages is surrounding how it takes a while to get better and how it later makes sense what they did the first 5 or 6 episodes.

Unless you're just looking for a GoT reboot, then you'll be disappointed.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sounds like you'd be better off just rewatching the first seasons of GoT if you're looking for a GoT reboot
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yes, the entire discussion the last few pages is surrounding how it takes a while to get better and how it later makes sense what they did the first 5 or 6 episodes.

View Quote

When did it get better? I missed that part.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When the Final Credits rolled at the end of S8, E6.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:54:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Has this been posted yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TybjwLS1VtA
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/4/2022 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#37]
So I'm reading the source novel Fire and Blood....
I'm at page 146 and I don't think I've come close to where the Series starts....

OK, The Red Keep has just been constructed an one king just married his sister.....
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So I'm reading the source novel Fire and Blood....
I'm at page 146 and I don't think I've come close to where the Series starts....

OK, The Red Keep has just been constructed an one king just married his sister.....
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/4/2022 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#39]
OK, it's 50 AC
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I saw that they are coming out with Season 1 of House Of The Dragon on DVD.

So I'm back to my Question I posed a few (!) pages ago: Subscribe to HBO+ for a few weeks or buy the DVD/Blu-Ray.

BTW: Recently I went back and reread Pages 82 to 88.    
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Get both. I watched it on HBO AND I have the 4K blu ray coming.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#42]
They should have stuck with the show they had planned set during The Age of Heroes
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Wilko Johnson (1947 - 2022)
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDYKbF7QXNQ
View Quote
I remember having him in my death pool years back.  He beat cancer for a long time.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:50:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Page 173

King Jaeherys Jarhaerys* married his sister Alysanne.
They are both underage.

Rogar Baratheon (Matt Smith [(?)] suggested to The Small Council that Jaeherys Jarhaerys be sent to The Citadel to become a maester.

Queen Alyssa, acting as Queen Regent, fired Rogar Baratheon as Hand Of The King.  He was told to return to Storm's End.

*YOU try spelling the names correctly
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 12:43:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Page 177

Ok....It was Jaehaerys Targaryen.....
He becomes six and ten years of age and no longer requires a regent.

End of unnumbered chapter.

A Time of Testing
The Realm Remade next.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#47]
House of the Dragon Season 2 Filming Begins in March: Earliest Premiere July 2024 (Game of Thrones)

House of the Dragon Season 2 Filming Begins in March: Earliest Premiere July 2024 (Game of Thrones)
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piflIU_lc6Q
View Quote

Jesus fucking Christ.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:41:11 PM EDT
[#50]
OK, I'm Finally, FINALLY, FINALLY
....at where the Series starts.

Queen Alyssa is seriously preggers and in [echo chamber] bad shape [/ echo chamber]
Save you wife or your son.

Page 216 to 217.
There was no tourney at the time, just the King and Queen visiting their realm and thinking of their mother.
Page / 358
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top