BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BTW, is there any confirmation one way or another?

The Police Chief's correction stated that the shooter was neutralized in 15 seconds based on the security camera timestamps, but that doesn't necessarily mean Eli engaged and fired all 10 shots within those 15 seconds of the AS beginning to shoot.

Unless there's confirmation to the contrary, it's far more likely that 15 seconds is the time period from the AS's first shot to HIS last shot, not Eli's last shot.

IIRC, it was mentioned that Eli first engaged the shooter from 40 yards, bracing himself against a column to fire his initial shot(s?), then continued firing as he approached the AS.

I'm guessing 15 seconds was when Eli's initial hits stopped the Active part of the shooting (or  dropped the AS, or made him drop the rifle?).
View Quote

They said it appeared his first shots made hits on the bg, and appear to have neutralized him, so 15 seconds from him starting shooting to the first returned fire.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This confuses me. Where are his lungs? Weren't they blown out of the body? I figured exiting organs would leave a bigger pool of blood.

https://iili.io/wrQ4iN.jpg
View Quote

this picture would make a grand Christmas card
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not surprising. Look at the amount of people here bewildered that someone can hit a target at 50yds with a handgun

Subdivison folks & their indoor ranges is the only explanation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Police Chief's correction stated that the shooter was neutralized in 15 seconds based on the security camera timestamps, but that doesn't necessarily mean Eli engaged and fired all 10 shots within those 15 seconds of the AS beginning to shoot.

Unless there's confirmation to the contrary, it's far more likely that 15 seconds is the time period from the AS's first shot to HIS last shot, not Eli's last shot.

IIRC, it was mentioned that Eli first engaged the shooter from 40 yards, bracing himself against a column to fire his initial shot(s?), then continued firing as he approached the AS.

I'm guessing 15 seconds was when Eli's initial hits stopped the Active part of the shooting (or  dropped the AS, or made him drop the rifle?).

Do you realize how slow 1.5 second splits are in an actual shooting? No way in hell he shot 1.5 second splits and hit the guy 8 times. Whole engagement was 15 seconds and he mag dumped this nerd into oblivion. I love how everyone on this forum is doubting Eli on just about everything that has come out, the distance and now even his split times lol. What’s next you’re going to doubt that he hit him with 8 rounds as that’s not fathomable because you can’t hit paper at 15 yards.

Not surprising. Look at the amount of people here bewildered that someone can hit a target at 50yds with a handgun

There was the Austin cop that took out an attempted shooter in downtown a few years ago at something like 100 yards, and he made a first shot hit/kill with a .40 cal.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think a lot of folks are incorrectly making the assumption he fired 10 rounds from the column.  He may in fact have only fired 3 striking the target only one time before he closed the distance and fully neutralized the threat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think a lot of folks are incorrectly making the assumption he fired 10 rounds from the column.  He may in fact have only fired 3 striking the target only one time before he closed the distance and fully neutralized the threat.

One of the articles mentioned that the AS attempted to retreat back to the restroom after Eli engaged him (before expiring right outside the restroom), and other articles (and a police statement) mention Eli advancing on the AS while directing people behind him to run for cover).

The photo is blurry as crap, but there look to be at least 17-18 casings around the corpse. No idea where the AS was standing when he first began shooting, or where the AS was standing when Eli first engaged him.

Folks who are familiar with the mall, said that they think Eli was probably using a column offscreen on the right side of the pic that shows the food court and restrooms at the far end (which would be about the 40 yards reported).
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have all the Glock 9mm's
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just shoot 40 yards with what you have....

I have all the Glock 9mm's

You'll do fine with the Eli drill.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There was the Austin cop that took out an attempted shooter in downtown a few years ago at something like 100 yards, and he made a first shot hit/kill with a .40 cal.
View Quote

Forgot about that.  If I remember correctly, the guy was walking down the street randomly firing an AK at store fronts.  I think it was like 130 yards or so.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

He is a young guy that hasn’t been embittered by life yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something I haven't seen much about directly is that given the distance Eli and his girlfriend could have easily simply fled.

Eli engaged.

Many times I've seen people say they would simply flee rather than take any shot at all.

Eli is a marvel in more ways than his shooting skills.

So what you are saying is that the system hasn't beaten him up yet?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Or exposed to based GD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or exposed to based GD.

FIFY
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Got this in an email from a friend from his friend.  Take it for what you will.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Got some info from a Simon Properties guy who has watched the Greenwood mall active shooter attack video footage. He doesn't think about the details like we do, but I confirmed a few things thru him.

The distance at which Eli Dickens fired was 43 yards, according to the computerized AI video system there in the mall. The system is accurate to within ten feet.

Eli was up out of his chair within seconds and engaged with the shooter.

Eli fired from around the side of a flat-topped, squared-sided trash bin next to a floor-to-ceiling column or pillar there inside the building. He was shooting from what we'd refer to as a "strong-side barricade" position. Using the side of the bin to stabilize his grip and weapon. The guy told me it looked more like he was crouched there as opposed to kneeling.

It appears Eli made a kill shot with the first round he fired based on the suspect's reaction. His second round was a hit also. The active shooter simply wilted after being shot and showed no interest in doing anything other than getting back into the men's restroom door. The active shooter never fired at Eli, never even swung his gun toward him. It appears that he wasn't expecting anyone else to have a gun.

After the active shooter collapsed, he kept moving, and Eli continued to fire until the target's movements halted. Eli hit with 8 of the 10 shots he fired. It was a blessing that the active shooter collapsed so quickly. It's always easier to hit a stationary target.

There appear to have been bystanders running between Eli and the active shooter as Eli was firing. The bystanders were running for the nearby exit door. Eli was so focused on stopping the threat that he came close to hitting some of the fleeing bystanders, but luck was with him. I don't understand people running toward or past people who are armed and shooting at someone. But people do strange things when they're under stress.

This part is in no way confirmed, but another security guy at the Greenwood mall said the empty casings from Eli's pistol were marked with Federal Cartridge headstamps.

I find it interesting that the active shooter was psychologically out of the fight pretty much immediately upon being shot. That's largely been the case with active shooter incidents since we've been keeping stats on them in the 1990's. Except, of course, for the ones involving militarized terrorists, like the Inland Empire (California) attack in 2012. I'm thinking of the active shooters involving suspects who are video-gaming incel civilians like the recent ones in Highland Park and Buffalo.

Here's a hand-drawn diagram of the shooting from the guy at Simon:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257939/1658342400944blob_jpg-2460807.JPG

Interesting. Thanks!

I wonder if we'll EVER get any kind of confirmation of these details, one way or another, but they definitely sound plausible.

As for panicked folks in the line of fire; panicked folks aren't thinking. Once the flight instinct has taken over, all they think of is "RUN!". It's also why there are usually quite a few collateral injuries from when people panic and run in any kind of incident.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

You left out the best part, officer was horseback, and he took the shot mounted.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They said it appeared his first shots made hits on the bg, and appear to have neutralized him, so 15 seconds from him starting shooting to the first returned fire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. That was what I was wondering, but all the reports are SO vaguely/ambiguously worded. It just seems like journalists nowadays are REALLY shitty at their jobs (look at the abundance of poorly written/edited articles linked on GD all the time, where folks go, "I read that 3 times and I'm STILL not sure what the article is trying to say").
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It would.. but I'd anticipate them doubling down.

At best, they'll just leave the policy in place as is, knowing it really does absolutely nothing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It would.. but I'd anticipate them doubling down.

At best, they'll just leave the policy in place as is, knowing it really does absolutely nothing.
They've already praised the Samaritan, so that might be rough. Maybe an addendum that says, "concealed means concealed."
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

May already have been mentioned but does that sign at his feet say DEAD?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This confuses me. Where are his lungs? Weren't they blown out of the body? I figured exiting organs would leave a bigger pool of blood.

One of the neutralizing shots may have turned off the pump.

It does.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Unsupported?  They should fix the rules.

You start out sitting there eating your cookie.  Then somebody fires a starter's pistol and you can get up and brace yourself on a trashcan to do the challenge.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Some are saying Glock, some said Hellcat. Still not sure.

To a lot of people every pistol is a Glock, and every rifle is an AR15 or AK47.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not 100% but saw a G19 with irons mentioned a few times.

Some are saying Glock, some said Hellcat. Still not sure.

To a lot of people every pistol is a Glock, and every rifle is an AR15 or AK47.
Cops apparently identified it as a Glock. The only place I've seen Hellcat mentioned was the meme early on about the CIA handler crying that his asset got yeeted by a babyfaced autist with a Hellcat. The Hellcat was probably used for added humor because it's a shit tier pistol.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Got some info from a Simon Properties guy who has watched the Greenwood mall active shooter attack video footage. He doesn't think about the details like we do, but I confirmed a few things thru him.

The distance at which Eli Dickens fired was 43 yards, according to the computerized AI video system there in the mall. The system is accurate to within ten feet.

Eli was up out of his chair within seconds and engaged with the shooter.

Eli fired from around the side of a flat-topped, squared-sided trash bin next to a floor-to-ceiling column or pillar there inside the building. He was shooting from what we'd refer to as a "strong-side barricade" position. Using the side of the bin to stabilize his grip and weapon. The guy told me it looked more like he was crouched there as opposed to kneeling.

It appears Eli made a kill shot with the first round he fired based on the suspect's reaction. His second round was a hit also. The active shooter simply wilted after being shot and showed no interest in doing anything other than getting back into the men's restroom door. The active shooter never fired at Eli, never even swung his gun toward him. It appears that he wasn't expecting anyone else to have a gun.

After the active shooter collapsed, he kept moving, and Eli continued to fire until the target's movements halted. Eli hit with 8 of the 10 shots he fired. It was a blessing that the active shooter collapsed so quickly. It's always easier to hit a stationary target.

There appear to have been bystanders running between Eli and the active shooter as Eli was firing. The bystanders were running for the nearby exit door. Eli was so focused on stopping the threat that he came close to hitting some of the fleeing bystanders, but luck was with him. I don't understand people running toward or past people who are armed and shooting at someone. But people do strange things when they're under stress.

This part is in no way confirmed, but another security guy at the Greenwood mall said the empty casings from Eli's pistol were marked with Federal Cartridge headstamps.

I find it interesting that the active shooter was psychologically out of the fight pretty much immediately upon being shot. That's largely been the case with active shooter incidents since we've been keeping stats on them in the 1990's. Except, of course, for the ones involving militarized terrorists, like the Inland Empire (California) attack in 2012. I'm thinking of the active shooters involving suspects who are video-gaming incel civilians like the recent ones in Highland Park and Buffalo.

Here's a hand-drawn diagram of the shooting from the guy at Simon:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257939/1658342400944blob_jpg-2460807.JPG

Stress not required. A number of years ago, a deranged bum threw a boulder (I kid you not) through the front window of a pawn shop down the street from my shop. It was closed and the guns were all locked up, but the knife counter was full, so he loaded up and sauntered down the street. By the time he got to the gas station across the side street from my shop, there were a dozen or more cops surrounding him with drawn weapons. It took two beanbags from a 12ga to get him to comply.

Thing is, while this was going on in the middle of the gas station parking lot, ten feet from the pumps, people were still pumping gas like nothing was happening. The cops had to physically restrain a woman who was about to cross between them and the loony to get to the pay phone.  No particular hurry, completely relaxed, between a guy waving a giant Bowie knife and a dozen guys aiming firearms at him. It's like her brain wasn't processing the incident.

Hell, everyone in my shop was at the front window watching. I had to shoo them back in case the cops with handguns opened up.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you realize how slow 1.5 second splits are in an actual shooting? No way in hell he shot 1.5 second splits and hit the guy 8 times. Whole engagement was 15 seconds and he mag dumped this nerd into oblivion. I love how everyone on this forum is doubting Eli on just about everything that has come out, the distance and now even his split times lol. What’s next you’re going to doubt that he hit him with 8 rounds as that’s not fathomable because you can’t hit paper at 15 yards.

If I recall correctly. one of the escaped NY prisoners from Dannemora was shot by a NY State Trooper running through a field.

The trooper was a firearms instructor and hit the guy twice using a Glock .45 from quite a distance.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I happened to try the shot.  Rapid fire with my carry gun (glock) braced against a pole...

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I happened to try the shot.  Rapid fire with my carry gun (glock) braced against a pole...

https://i.postimg.cc/gkLHKzSn/65190-A1-C-A0-BE-4-AA2-BAE0-40-A9-A944-CA59.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/kMpy86y0/B19895AB-818C-4CBE-BCF6-4FBB5ABA74C8.jpg
View Quote

Nice shooting, Dick(en).
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You start out sitting there eating your cookie.  Then somebody fires a starter's pistol and you can get up and brace yourself on a trashcan to do the challenge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So there I was in the shower eating a cookie...
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Dibs on the chick on the left. She was probably hot 10 years ago a little on Midcaps size scale now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does.

Or he may have taken one to the back of the head..
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#26]
One of the downsides to this is that you know the next shooter will be armored up. Then there are going to be calls for that
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
One of the downsides to this is that you know the next shooter will be armored up. Then there are going to be calls for that
View Quote

Buffalo shooter was.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You start out sitting there eating your cookie drinking a beer.  Then somebody fires a starter's pistol and you can get up and brace yourself on a trashcan to do the challenge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You start out sitting there eating your cookie drinking a beer.  Then somebody fires a starter's pistol and you can get up and brace yourself on a trashcan to do the challenge.

FIFY

I kid.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

With Eli's accuracy?

Even 1 out of 10 in the brain pan would have sufficed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 8:50:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Cops apparently identified it as a Glock. The only place I've seen Hellcat mentioned was the meme early on about the CIA handler crying that his asset got yeeted by a babyfaced autist with a Hellcat. The Hellcat was probably used for added humor because it's a shit tier pistol.
View Quote

*looks at EDC Hellcat on desk*
Attachment Attached File

I actually took it out yesterday and pushed it out to 25 yards unsupported to see what would happen. Turns out I need more practice
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Noice!
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:01:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Dibs on the chick on the left. She was probably hot 10 years ago a little on Midcaps size scale now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

She would do just fine in the present tense! The one on the right is a Midcap Moose.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a drill for dealing with that. Might be best to assume armor and run the drill.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An M&P no less
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now we need an ELI challenge coin
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
An M&P no less
View Quote

I forget the details of the story, but it seems like it was a decade ago.  Some good guy took out a bad guy from some distance like 80yd with a revolver shot, braced off the hood of his truck.
I remember seeing the interview with him on the youtube but its been forever ago.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#38]

The top rifle is a generic setup on basic AR15s out of the box so obviously they'd be the same. The bottom one isn't even the same, other than the same position of the foregrip and eotech.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I forget the details of the story, but it seems like it was a decade ago.  Some good guy took out a bad guy from some distance like 80yd with a revolver shot, braced off the hood of his truck.
I remember seeing the interview with him on the youtube but its been forever ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An M&P no less

.357, IIRC
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#40]
A few years ago, I took an advanced handgun class from @1911SFOREVER where he had us do a drill. We started at about the 20yd mark and moved back 10 yds each round-robin level. If you got 2 of 3, you moved to the next round. Me and one other guy made it to about 120yds. I was shooting a 5" Springfield XD in .45. It was hilarious to pull the trigger and hear the bang then twiddling thumbs until the "tink" against the plate was heard.

Mall Samaritan did well assessing the situation, moving to act, getting into position, and putting the first rounds on target at the 15 second mark. Cutting short a mass murder spree is one of the big wins for concealed constitutional carry. Laws working as designed are exceedingly rare.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I recall the officer was holding the rains and shot offhand from a standing position, but I’m OAF, so I could be wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You left out the best part, officer was horseback, and he took the shot mounted.

I recall the officer was holding the rains and shot offhand from a standing position, but I’m OAF, so I could be wrong.

How have I never heard (or maybe forgotten) this story?
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a big deal here at the time.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/austin-cops-sure-shot-stopped-crazed-gunman
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here's a refresher: https://www.foxnews.com/us/austin-cops-sure-shot-stopped-crazed-gunman

ETA: DAMN, beat me to it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#44]

Defense in depth is what the Second Amendment is all about.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

.357, IIRC
View Quote

Vic Stacy.  
Shooter who aided officer gives his account of Peach House RV Park incident
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

I fukkin' love that guy, no homo.  He stepped past a loaded and scoped AR to grab his Python.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

That may have been the Draw Mohamad event in Garland, Texas.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recall the officer was holding the rains and shot offhand from a standing position, but I'm OAF, so I could be wrong.

Fox News story

"Holding the reins of two horses with one hand, Austin Police Sgt. Adam Johnson raised his service pistol and fired a bullseye into the target some 312 feet away."

@Bohr_Adam

Edited to add I misse this was already posted
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm gonna try that.

Good shooting too!

Link Posted: 7/22/2022 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

There's a drill for dealing with that. Might be best to assume armor and run the drill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Moz 2.0.

2 to the pelvis, 1 to the head.

Began practicing that one regularly, after the OH bar district shooter (IIRC, he had soft armor?).

Even so, I don't know that it would've saved the security guard in Buffalo (from the speed of the encounter, high chance of both being taken out), but it might've saved the other folks from the shooter continuing his spree.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top