Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

While I do get to pick the trim, I don't think I'll take a company vehicle seriously off roading.

But I've been told by my boss (my dad) that I'm getting a new bronco when they come out to replace my F150.  Because he loves broncos.

Whatever, free truck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don’t you hate it when adulting gets in the way of fun

Longer wheelbase = More fun.

While I do get to pick the trim, I don't think I'll take a company vehicle seriously off roading.

But I've been told by my boss (my dad) that I'm getting a new bronco when they come out to replace my F150.  Because he loves broncos.

Whatever, free truck.

I thought you had your heart set on a F-250 Tremor?

Or, are you buying the F-250 while the company is buying the Bronco?
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I think they’re a place to tie limb risers. Pretty handy if so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are those weird little accent pieces on the front of the hood? Why are there holes in them? Are they removeable?

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/bronc-1583933252.jpg?resize=768:*

ETA I had the displeasure to rent one of these the last time I was in Hawaii. Those bubbled out lights on each corner were annoying a F. Giant blind spots.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4c/2013_Nissan_Juke_Tekna_1.6.jpg/1200px-2013_Nissan_Juke_Tekna_1.6.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_88V-ip23gTg/SjGQiVKpm6I/AAAAAAAAAfQ/dE_izn7aat0/s400/horse-blinders.jpg

They're multi-purpose tie downs. I think the examples I've heard discussed are long cargo on the roof like canoes.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#3]
How does it compare to the Rubicon?
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

When is the dividend coming back?
View Quote

I doubt we will see another dividend this year. Hopefully next but who knows.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’d wait for the raptor version to answer that one. I would guess lockers F&R, factory lift, larger tires, probably lower diff gearing. Still IFS though, so it’ll never be a direct competitor.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

That was my thought. Something to make the overland set happy, lol.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used limb risers long before the O word entered the common vernacular. They aren’t much use in open terrain but in heavy forest the antenna/light/windshield you save just might be your own.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:18:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I’d wait for the raptor version to answer that one. I would guess lockers F&R, factory lift, larger tires, probably lower diff gearing. Still IFS though, so it’ll never be a direct competitor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ll keep my rubicon.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:37:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever, free truck.

F350 is personal. Bronco will be company.

I always have both for tax reasons. Also different uses.  My personal truck only gets 5000-8000 miles a year on it and I use it for *my business* of farming and light excavating / ground clearing.

The tremor is really tempting. But I think I need the 11,500lb gvw kit on a SRW.  I kinda wanna go dually. But it will have to live outside.  

Company truck totes my ass around for work.  And sits all weekend. 20-25k miles a year.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 5:39:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I used limb risers long before the O word entered the common vernacular. They aren’t much use in open terrain but in heavy forest the antenna/light/windshield you save just might be your own.
View Quote

I can definitely see the utility, but the only people I've seen run them in the U.S. looked like they were trying to clone some commonwealth bush rig for trips to the dog park.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, currently you can buy a rubicon....
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:15:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's a longer video:

Bronco Mud Testing - Full Video
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 7:00:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here's a longer video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwjFaV6PYiU
View Quote

I wish they would not have kept cutting away from going over the larger rock obstacles like the ledges in the creek toward the end of the video. Those were legitimate off-roading. Also, did it seem like the driver side back door was dented in?
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 7:17:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

The new Bronco will never have a front locker.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe not but you can see all 4 wheels spinning in the video.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You think IFS vehicles can’t have front lockers or something?
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said earlier in the thread, I don't think you will see an IFS locker offered by Ford. This might be one that could be fitted, depending on how the Bronco is spec'd: https://www.stage3motorsports.com/RD219-2019-2020-Ford-Ranger-ARB-Air-Locker-Locking-Front-Differential-IFS-29-Spline.html  ...however, not everyone thinks they are such a good idea: https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/131-0606-front-locking-differentials/
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Like I said earlier in the thread, I don't think you will see an IFS locker offered by Ford. This might be one that could be fitted, depending on how the Bronco is spec'd: https://www.stage3motorsports.com/RD219-2019-2020-Ford-Ranger-ARB-Air-Locker-Locking-Front-Differential-IFS-29-Spline.html  ...however, not everyone thinks they are such a good idea: https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/131-0606-front-locking-differentials/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree it’s not a given that ford will offer it, they may offer a Torsen LSD, or nothing and just stick with open front diff. The electronic traction control modes are garbage, using differential braking to rob torque to pseudo “lock” an open diff is a shitty alternative to a true locker or even an LSD.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here's a longer video:

View Quote

Good to know that it will go through a mud puddle.

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I agree it’s not a given that ford will offer it, they may offer a Torsen LSD, or nothing and just stick with open front diff. The electronic traction control modes are garbage, using differential braking to rob torque to pseudo “lock” an open diff is a shitty alternative to a true locker or even an LSD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's hope for at least some kind of LSD on the front.

I had high hopes that Ford was really going to go after the Wrangler, and initially I thought that would include off-road capability. I love my Wrangler, but I want to see competition to improve the breed. AFAIK, nobody outside of Ford has gotten their hands on a new Bronco to really see what they can do, so maybe t will be really good. (hoping)
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I had high hopes that Ford was really going to go after the Wrangler, and initially I thought that would include off-road capability. I love my Wrangler, but I want to see competition to improve the breed. AFAIK, nobody outside of Ford has gotten their hands on a new Bronco to really see what they can do, so maybe t will be really good. (hoping)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be surprised to see any locker or lsd up front until they offer a “Raptor” version, maybe a rear locker only in an FX4 trim, same as the ranger.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I would be surprised to see any locker or lsd up front until they offer a “Raptor” version, maybe a rear locker only in an FX4 trim, same as the ranger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds kind of contradictory to me.

The Raptor is kind of a high speed desert runner type of vehicle designed for open spaces and trails. Lockers are something I associate more with lower speed crawling type situations.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't follow Ford closely enough to have any sense of how they arrange their trim levels, so you may well be right. Does Ford usually release all trims of a new model at one time? Or, might they release only, say, a base trim and a fancy/luxury trim, and not release an off-road trim until a year or two later?

Consider that the Jeep Wrangler only offers lockers and electronically disconnecting swaybars on their top trim - the Rubicon. Sometimes, they'll have a special edition where you can get a rear locker, but AFAIK never both front and rear. A lot of people don't care and want to build their own. More power to them, but OEM with a factory warranty is attractive to a lot of people.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The Raptor is kind of a high speed desert runner type of vehicle designed for open spaces and trails. Lockers are something I associate more with lower speed crawling type situations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trophy trucks run spools in the rear and a variation of an LSD up front. Yes the raptor is a wannabe “prerunner” styled truck, but it’s their most expensive and capable model, akin to the rubicon trim in the wrangler. The ranger raptor does run a rear locker (overseas) but an open front diff, I’d expect the same from the bronco. The large tires, increased suspension travel and lower gearing would be nice even with an open front diff. Lockers aren’t only for crawling, they are good for any traction limited situation, sand, mud, etc.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I always have both for tax reasons. Also different uses.  My personal truck only gets 5000-8000 miles a year on it and I use it for *my business* of farming and light excavating / ground clearing.

The tremor is really tempting. But I think I need the 11,500lb gvw kit on a SRW.  I kinda wanna go dually. But it will have to live outside.  

Company truck totes my ass around for work.  And sits all weekend. 20-25k miles a year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever, free truck.

Carli suspension and your own wheel/tire combo going to tow better and be better off road.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Trophy trucks run spools in the rear and a variation of an LSD up front. Yes the raptor is a wannabe “prerunner” styled truck, but it’s their most expensive and capable model, akin to the rubicon trim in the wrangler. The ranger raptor does run a rear locker (overseas) but an open front diff, I’d expect the same from the bronco. The large tires, increased suspension travel and lower gearing would be nice even with an open front diff. Lockers aren’t only for crawling, they are good for any traction limited situation, sand, mud, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn near every kind of racing runs lockers or spools in the rear even a lot of drag cars.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#28]
TFL got their hands on some big leaks.

Here's the 7 speed manual with a crawler gear:

Here are controls for a sway bar disconnect as well as rear and FRONT lockers:

IFS is confirmed as is the 2.3L EB.

TFL got their dicks slapped for publishing this...

"*UPDATE 6/11/2020: Since we posted this story, Ford has disinvited TFL from the upcoming reveal events for the Bronco and F-150. As a result, we will not be covering those models as we originally intended, but do have another update coming very soon, so stay tuned!"

More photos and details at the link: https://www.tflcar.com/2020/06/2021-ford-bronco-more-manual-details/
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://www.tflcar.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/2021-ford-bronco-manual-transmission-7-speed-1024x924.jpg

https://www.tflcar.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/bronco-switches-1024x634.jpg

"*UPDATE 6/11/2020: Since we posted this story, Ford has disinvited TFL from the upcoming reveal events for the Bronco and F-150. As a result, we will not be covering those models as we originally intended, but do have another update coming very soon, so stay tuned!"

More photos and details at the link: https://www.tflcar.com/2020/06/2021-ford-bronco-more-manual-details/
View Quote

Aaaaaand that's the end of the 4Runner.

ETA:  Toyota is absolutely capable of designing the 6th gen to compete with this, but they won't.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Follow  2021Bronco_ on instagram for all of the updates on the 2021 Bronco my son and I are building. It will be ready for the September Gambler 500 in Tennessee
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

ETA:  Toyota is absolutely capable of designing the 6th gen to compete with this, but they won't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.tflcar.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/2021-ford-bronco-manual-transmission-7-speed-1024x924.jpg

This thing gonna steal alot of Jeep thunder as well . Im sure this was Fords plan all along .
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Wanted to like it,  but that front end is horrible.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why would they? They’re still getting insane money for an outdated design.

TC
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:00:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure I'd go that far.

The 4Runner enjoys a reputation for being a very high quality and reliable vehicle, and it doesn't have the massive capability drawbacks its pickup truck siblings have compared to their competitors.

The biggest question for the next gen 4Runner is what will be under the hood. The existing engine won't be carried over. The Tacoma's drivetrain isn't very popular and would likely be even worse in the 4Runner, but I'm not sure I see it getting the 3.5L turbo that's rumored/planned for the Tundra.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#35]
.... Gotta admit, I really want one now.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Here's a longer video:

View Quote

That's gotta be a great way to spend the day; driving a protoype Bronco into every off-road obstacle & situation available to see what happens, try to break stuff, try to stick it in the mud. Great day!! Cool vid.

For me, the Gladiator offers just a bit more utility with the open bed. Realistically, I traded off a Tacoma for the FJ because I wasn't using the open bed and wanted a fully enclosed cargo area and seating.

Good to see the Bronco return. Always liked them, very handy durable vehicles that had so much utility value in so many situations.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Daaaamn!

If that’s all true these bastards might finally get my miserly self to buy my first new vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

the 250 is a much better write off.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The company has more than enough write offs.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

That just made me mildly hard. This is coming from a jeep guy. If this stuff proves to be true jeep is gonna have a competitor.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

While I would agree that a locker is better, I have been nothing but impressed with the ATRAC traction control in my 4Runner.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:29:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The 4Runner enjoys a reputation for being a very high quality and reliable vehicle, and it doesn't have the massive capability drawbacks its pickup truck siblings have compared to their competitors.

The biggest question for the next gen 4Runner is what will be under the hood. The existing engine won't be carried over. The Tacoma's drivetrain isn't very popular and would likely be even worse in the 4Runner, but I'm not sure I see it getting the 3.5L turbo that's rumored/planned for the Tundra.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I just don't see where it fits in the market now.  Hardcore off-roaders almost always went for a Jeep anyway, now they'll have the new Bronco as a legitimate alternative instead of looking to the 4Runner.  The guys chasing Instagram clicks are gonna snatch up the Bronco no matter what since it's now the new-hotness.  All the die-hard Toyota fans probably already bought theirs over the last 10 years and with the lack of updates there's no real reason for them to buy new ones.

When they designed the 3rd Gen Tacoma they phoned it in because they knew it had no viable competition and people would buy it just because it was a Toyota.  They probably could have gotten away with doing that with the 6th Gen 4Runner until Ford decided to build a proper Bronco.

ETA:  I love my 2015 4Runner, but if I could afford it I would absolutely look into trading it for a new Bronco.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good, maybe I'll be able to get a fucking 4Runner under $40k. The thing is so basic is straight retarded they sell so high.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I guess I just don't see where it fits in the market now.  Hardcore off-roaders almost always went for a Jeep anyway, now they'll have the new Bronco as a legitimate alternative instead of looking to the 4Runner.  The guys chasing Instagram clicks are gonna snatch up the Bronco no matter what since it's now the new-hotness.  All the die-hard Toyota fans probably already bought theirs over the last 10 years and with the lack of updates there's no real reason for them to buy new ones.

When they designed the 3rd Gen Tacoma they phoned it in because they knew it had no viable competition and people would buy it just because it was a Toyota.  They probably could have gotten away with doing that with the 6th Gen 4Runner until Ford decided to build a proper Bronco.

ETA:  I love my 2015 4Runner, but if I could afford it I would absolutely look into trading it for a new Bronco.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Tacoma is good context for this conversation.

The 3rd gen Tacoma launched on the wrong foot, the drivetrain is unpopular, and it lags most of the segment in both capabilities and features. Despite all of that, it's still by far the best selling vehicle in that segment, and it's probably still the safest bet.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#46]
I watched TFL's video so you don't have to. It's probably not worth watching all 18 minutes unless you're that bored.

The biggest technical tidbit I saw in the video that we haven't covered is that at least one trim gets tires that are 305/70R17s. That calculates to roughly 34" in diameter and 12" wide with 8.4" of sidewall.

The other point of note is that the Bronco appears to be getting the same infotainment and HVAC stack we've seen leaked for the 14th gen F-150.

The Bronco picture is dark and grainy, so here's the F-150:

Link Posted: 6/11/2020 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've been on the fence since the start but now I want one.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wanted to like it,  but that front end is horrible.
View Quote

Not the greatest but better than Toyota's catfish with Down's syndrome grille. I'll be slapping an aftermarket bumper and grille guard on it anyway.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I watched TFL's video so you don't have to. It's probably not worth watching all 18 minutes unless you're that bored.

The biggest technical tidbit I saw in the video that we haven't covered is that at least one trim gets tires that are 305/70R17s. That calculates to roughly 34" in diameter and 12" wide with 8.4" of sidewall.

The other point of note is that the Bronco appears to be getting the same infotainment and HVAC stack we've seen leaked for the 14th gen F-150.

The Bronco picture is dark and grainy, so here's the F-150:

https://the-drive-3.imgix.net/https%3A%2F%2Fapi.thedrive.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F04%2FFord-Interior-Spy-Shot-Hero-1.jpg%3Fquality%3D85?w=1440&auto=compress%2Cformat&ixlib=js-1.4.1&s=445dc7f1849505fbfd548ca076d147c2
View Quote

That's one of the two things I wish I'd have gotten when I bought mine in '11. The other is 4WD. Next time, though.....
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#50]
I have to admit, I have loved all the "but IFS" and "jeeps can get front lockers".  If these leaks are true, Ford has really come through on this thing.  I get that some may not like the looks, but it appears Ford may be doing a good job of melding 4x4 capability with modern tech.  That will be a big winner.

I would make a comment about price, but it really wont matter. Ppl are lining up to buy $40-50k jeeps, so as long as this thing doesnt crush past that, price wont matter.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top