View Quote

A comma would help there.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Second job, we've all done it when the situation calls for it
View Quote

No. It’s a regular thing. 2nd job stops the drinking and more money is made. If money is the problem, make more of it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:11:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I have faith in OP

He came to GD, knowing he’d take a beating

He’s taking his beating, and even giving some back

He knows he’s fucked up here and there, but seems smart enough enough to know which means he’s smart enough to unfuck it

I think that he’s going to unfuck it
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:12:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You can get a 1.75 liter of not great,  but not bad whiskey for 20 bucks. That's step 1.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:13:25 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you have a credit card to squeak by on until pay day?

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/mal-660.gif

Trust me, he knew what he was doing. Very clever, that arctic pigeon.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:14:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

But yes, I'm an alcoholic.
View Quote

I mentioned how i quit but ill give you some details.

The sinclair method is a way to essentially unlearn your addiction. You take an opiate blocker called naltrexone an hour before you drink every time you drink. No drinking without the pill. No pill on days you dont drink.

The opiate blocker stops all the feel.good chemicals your body makes in response to drinking and generally makes the experience the joyless soulsucking pathetic experience it actually is. You dont have to count the days or go to stupid meetings or even change your habits at all at first. Just take the pill before you drink.

This site https://cthreefoundation.org/ has doctors for your area who know the sinclair method. And forums and shit

This is a ted talk that kinda steered me down the path
How I overcame alcoholism | Claudia Christian | TEDxLondonBusinessSchool

She also has a documentary called one little pill.

Here is an ebook that explains the process. It is a remarkably fast read.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rqVTwTTRWzX4sE4mQwI46uAdS1uZwgQg/view?usp=drivesdk
If you dont want to download a pdf for free from a google drive link It's called the cure for alcoholism by dr roy eskapa.

Good luck and God bless.

Has anyone mentioned faith? First (well sometimes second after nature calls) thing i do every morning is thank God for seeing another day and anything else i can think of to be thankful for. Even if it is wishful thinking. It's made a profound impact on my life.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:16:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have faith in OP

He knows he’s fucked up here and there, but seems smart enough enough to know which means he’s smart enough to unfuck it

View Quote

Thank you. Thank you doesn't feel like enough. I don't know what to say, but I appreciated that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:16:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I will give you $149 & a bottle of Jim Beam for the AR.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I like to drink. I like to smoke cigarettes. In a wilder point of my life I liked less than legal stuff. Never one goddamn time, even down to my last $100 in the bank, has anyone ever subsidised any of that shit or paid for my fucking groceries. Pathetic.

And once I drew down to that $100, and the 30 day clock started ticking on being homeless, I found a goddamn way to turn that $100 into $10k in a few months, and then into many, many times beyond that since then. And I never quit smoking or drinking. All accomplished at well below $70k/yr, at the time too. 2011, not 1954 to be clear.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:20:00 AM EDT
[#10]
You fucked up drinking away that last $140 in one night.
That would have bought enough weed to last till your next payday.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:20:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like to drink. I like to smoke cigarettes. In a wilder point of my life I liked less than legal stuff. Never one goddamn time, even down to my last $100 in the bank, has anyone ever subsidised any of that shit or paid for my fucking groceries. Pathetic.

And once I drew down to that $100, and the 30 day clock started ticking on being homeless, I found a goddamn way to turn that $100 into $10k in a few months, and then into many, many times beyond that since then. And I never quit smoking or drinking. All accomplished at well below $70k/yr, at the time too. 2011, not 1954 to be clear.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:22:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Should prob get off the forums
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#13]
You don’t have a money problem, you have a drinking problem.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:24:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No way, I wanted to spend less than 10k. No way I would ever buy a 30-40k car and make payments for 6 years. I ended up spending 18ish.
View Quote
the C-word was a shitty time to need to buy a car. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:26:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You don’t have a money problem, you have a drinking problem.
View Quote

Do you know the difference between association and causation?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:26:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks man
View Quote

Of course bud.

We all have our problems, anyone that say's they're perfect is full of shit, at least I know I have my own problems, so who am I to judge you!

Either way, I hate to see people suffering and I hope you're able to beat this.

I've had people really close to me piss away their lives, and it's tough to watch, especially people with a brain and a lot going for them.

You're obviously a smart guy, at least all the engineers I know are pretty smart, weird but smart lol.

Get your head back on straight, and enjoy your life bro, it's a short ride.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:27:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I pride my self in being able to hold a conversation with anybody.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn’t improve the story.

I pride my self in being able to hold a conversation with anybody.

Most drunks do. Please get help for your drinking. Unless you’re a great troll, you sound like a typical alcoholic.

Drinking when you know it’s having deleterious effects on your life and health.

Impulsive spending

Allowing strangers to dupe you and you believing it was your idea and some kind of win because you pride yourself on being able to talk to anyone

Terrible financial decision making

Getting yourself into situations where you think your transmission is going out but it’s actually the exhaust system. (You’re an engineer and you couldn’t differentiate between the two?). Then being forced to take a shit loan for an entirely different car in order to “fix” the problem.

Terrible credit

I could go on, but perhaps you should be the one taking stock of your life and decisions.

I have experience with substance abuse and I know others who do as well. Everything you’re saying sounds like the typical things that are said by addicts in the meetings we’ve all been in.

I’d be willing to bet that you drove home drunk or rode with someone who was impaired. I hope I’m wrong though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:28:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Of course bud.

We all have our problems, anyone that say's they're perfect is full of shit, at least I know I have my own problems, so who am I to judge you!

Either way, I hate to see people suffering and I hope you're able to beat this.

I've had people really close to me piss away their lives, and it's tough to watch, especially people with a brain and a lot going for them.

You're obviously a smart guy, at least all the engineers I know are pretty smart, weird but smart lol.

Get your head back on straight, and enjoy your life bro, it's a short ride.
View Quote

Will do.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:28:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's Saturday night. 87% of GD is drunk/working on getting drunk.
What he's trying to say is... he calls dibs on guns/ammo.
View Quote

Thanks man, I guess I need to start drinking.

I don't speak da drunk just yet lol.

Thanks for the laugh.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:29:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So not a new car?
View Quote

Well, unless he has a time machine, no I'd say 2016 isn't new.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:33:45 AM EDT
[#21]
I might suggest shredding all your credit cards and go all-cash & checks (also prevents online shopping) envelope method.  If you blow your grocery money on booze again, you should force yourself to not eat or scrounge off free food for a week.  You won't die from it (do drink water though).  Abject pain from genuine hunger is one hell of a teacher (sometimes you need to hit a real low to get back on the wagon).

Probably should sell every firearm/ammo you own, maybe keep 1 or 2 and a couple hundred rounds tops.  Easy way to raise cash.

If you live in an urban area and stuff isn't too far from you (lets say, 15 miles) get a bike (e-bike or otherwise, from funds raised) and use it to get around, its sooo much cheaper, and exercise will make you feel better (and you wont endanger anyone with your obvious high potential to drink drive). Plus the only places you need to be going are work, the grocery store, doctor/help groups, and back home.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:34:46 AM EDT
[#22]
You make $70K living in Texas. You just need a budget
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:35:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have faith in OP

View Quote

You're setting the bar for "smart" so low here that a 2-dimensional Jamaican with a rubberized skeleton couldn't limbo under it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:35:04 AM EDT
[#24]
You need to drink more
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:35:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Dave Ramsey has been mentioned a few times in this thread.

If you'll read it, send me your address and I'll mail you a copy of his book.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Most drunks do. Please get help for your drinking. Unless you’re a great troll, you sound like a typical alcoholic.

Impulsive spending

Allowing strangers to dupe you and you believing it was your idea and some kind of win because you pride yourself on being able to talk to anyone

Getting yourself into situations where you think your transmission is going out but it’s actually the exhaust system. (You’re an engineer and you couldn’t differentiate between the two?). Then being forced to take a shit loan for an entirely different car in order to “fix” the problem.

Terrible credit

I could go on, but perhaps you should be the one taking stock of your life and decisions.

I have experience with substance abuse and I know others who do as well. Everything you’re saying sounds like the typical things that are said by addicts in the meetings we’ve all been in.

I’d be willing to bet that you drove home drunk or rode with someone who was impaired. I hope I’m wrong though.
View Quote

Sir, what does being an engineer have to due with diagnosing a transmission? I'm a civil engineer, not a mechanic. Mechanical engineers, for the most part, are not mechanics either. And if you think 640 is shit credit, you don't know where most people are at as far as credit scores go.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:38:58 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't drink. Not bragging but thankful. Growing up without food, clothes, indoor plumbing and school supplies helped.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:40:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't drink. Not bragging but thankful. Growing up without food, clothes, indoor plumbing and school supplies helped.
View Quote

I was going to say avatar fits, but honestly your post helped me be greatful for the clothes I'm wearing and the fact that I'm safe in my apartment. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:41:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Pizza Hut is always looking for drivers. Not a bad gig part time.

Also door dash.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:44:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Definitely staying home. Not because I'm broke, I was invited out earlier, and I wouldn't have to pay a cent with my buddy who is also in engineering. I just realize that I need something real and not hollow conversation that is typical between strangers meeting out on the town.
View Quote

Engineer pulling only $70k ? Ah shit I have no room to talk...
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:47:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Sell the Honda and pay off the loan and credit card
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:48:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Engineer pulling only $70k ? Ah shit I have no room to talk...
View Quote

Thank you for catching that. I am a "designer", since I have an associate degree and not a bachelors degree. Buddy makes way more than me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:49:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Sir, what does being an engineer have to due with diagnosing a transmission? I'm a civil engineer, not a mechanic. Mechanical engineers, for the most part, are not mechanics either. And if you think 640 is shit credit, you don't know where most people are at as far as credit scores go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Impulsive spending

Terrible credit

The average American's Vantage score is 698 on an annual income of just over $44K.  Yours is 58 points lower than that...on a $70K annual salary.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:51:51 AM EDT
[#34]
I hope you get the help you need OP, and find a second job. Keep your head up. I've been there before. It sucks, but you can do it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:53:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You need to drink more
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:53:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I hope you get the help you need OP, and find a second job. Keep your head up. I've been there before. It sucks, but you can do it.
View Quote

Thanks man. That avatar though lol.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:53:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The sinclair method is a way to essentially unlearn your addiction. You take an opiate blocker called naltrexone an hour before you drink every time you drink. No drinking without the pill. No pill on days you dont drink.

The opiate blocker stops all the feel.good chemicals your body makes in response to drinking and generally makes the experience the joyless soulsucking pathetic experience it actually is. You dont have to count the days or go to stupid meetings or even change your habits at all at first. Just take the pill before you drink.

This site https://cthreefoundation.org/ has doctors for your area who know the sinclair method. And forums and shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EghiY_s2ts

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rqVTwTTRWzX4sE4mQwI46uAdS1uZwgQg/view?usp=drivesdk
If you dont want to download a pdf for free from a google drive link It's called the cure for alcoholism by dr roy eskapa.

Good luck and God bless.

Has anyone mentioned faith? First (well sometimes second after nature calls) thing i do every morning is thank God for seeing another day and anything else i can think of to be thankful for. Even if it is wishful thinking. It's made a profound impact on my life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But yes, I'm an alcoholic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EghiY_s2ts

Good luck and God bless.

I’m not going to read/watch all of that, but if I was addicted to alcohol and taking a pill made it not enjoyable, and I only took the pill an hour before I knew I was going to drink and no other time, I’d skip taking the fucking pill.

I have experience with addiction and so do several loved ones who have managed decades long abstinence.

The “intentionally take a pill that ruins your drug of choice right before you use your drug of choice” sounds absolutely crazy to me. But if it helps addicts, then I’m all for it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:55:07 AM EDT
[#38]
You need to file bankruptcy probably.

Chapter 13 will garnish your wages to pay back just some of your credit card and other debt. Probably not the 401k loan, but it might postpone or lower the amount
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:57:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Big surprise when somebody can't be bothered to put a dollar sign where it belongs.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:59:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Dave Ramsey has been mentioned a few times in this thread.

If you'll read it, send me your address and I'll mail you a copy of his book.
View Quote

You can google his baby steps if you are too lazy to read a book
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You can google his baby steps if you are too lazy to read a book
View Quote

Man, you're not going to like this. I actually have the book. An old friend I used to work with gave it to me years ago when I asked him for investing advice. I never read it. I guess it's time.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:05:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I was going to say avatar fits, but honestly your post helped me be greatful for the clothes I'm wearing and the fact that I'm safe in my apartment. Thanks.
View Quote

See that whole faith and giving thanks thing i was talking about... You are actually the 1% i think that was only around 35k a year a few years back. There are about a billion people that live on a dollar a day or less in this world.

You could probably learn something from them
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:06:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Sounds like you need Dave Ramsey's total money makeover. Also stop drinking. Good luck.
View Quote

this

examine every bill and find ways to cut costs with different cell providers, or sell things with a motor that you're presently paying on.

reduce your expenses to a manageable amount and put the bottle away.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:08:20 AM EDT
[#44]
BTW, if you read this load of self-deluded bullshit (especially the emphasized part)...

Quoted:

Work ethic, always getting the job done no matter what. Having a boss who is a good leader and trusting my leader. Earning my leaders trust. Dedication and motivation. Not quitting when others try to hold you down because they are insecure because they fear you will surpass them. Focusing on the bottom line and cutting out excuses. That's how.
View Quote

...and don't instantly realize what sort of individual you're dealing with, you belong in the audience for The View.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Impulsive spending

Terrible credit

So your measuring stick for whether you have good credit is to compare yourself to all the people who have even shittier credit?

I’m suggesting that you could have put some effort into figuring out what was actually wrong with your vehicle instead of guessing (or trusting someone who didn’t have a clue).

You could rebuild a small block Chevy from a few YouTube videos. And learn every other system in a modern vehicle.

You can make every excuse you want, but confusing a bad transmission with a bad catalytic converters is

Google SWOT analysis. Then, sit down and do one on your life.

If you need help with your drinking, get it. AA 12 step plan.

Learn to do the next right thing, focus on gratitude, and put together a plan for after you’re sober to get a handle on your debt.

Develop a strong relationship with your sponsor. And stop making excuses for your failings and take 100% responsibility for everything in your life.

Read Jocko’s book called Extreme Ownership.

Good luck, op. I’ve had to dig myself out of a much deeper hole than you’re in. So I’m not going to come at you with feelz.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#46]
I won't dogpile you OP.

I've been financially tight in the past from outrageous family court legal fees, high child support, and regular monthly expenses.

Sit down and do an inventory of your monthly expenditures find out where you can trim some fat in your budget and do it. Learn to like Ramen noodles and recipes for how to class them up on the cheap (eggs, different spices, etc.)

I know you're capable of digging yourself out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:12:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Im rooting for you OP. Looking forward to your comeback thread. Hang in there, I think you have a good head on your shoulders.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:14:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So your measuring stick for whether you have good credit is to compare yourself to all the people who have even shittier credit?

I’m suggesting that you could have put some effort into figuring out what was actually wrong with your vehicle instead of guessing (or trusting someone who didn’t have a clue).

You could rebuild a small block Chevy from a few YouTube videos. And learn every other system in a modern vehicle.

You can make every excuse you want, but confusing a bad transmission with a bad catalytic converters is

Google SWOT analysis. Then, sit down and do one on your life.

If you need help with your drinking, get it. AA 12 step plan.

Learn to do the next right thing, focus on gratitude, and put together a plan for after you’re sober to get a handle on your debt.

Develop a strong relationship with your sponsor. And stop making excuses for your failings and take 100% responsibility for everything in your life.

Read Jocko’s book called Extreme Ownership.

Good luck, op. I’ve had to dig myself out of a much deeper hole than you’re in. So I’m not going to come at you with feelz.
View Quote

I appreciate it. And in my defense, the good folks at Chad Miller Auto Care thought it was the transmission too. That, or they wanted to take me for a ride.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:14:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Join date post count
View Quote

2020ers don’t get to play that game.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:16:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I’m not going to read/watch all of that, but if I was addicted to alcohol and taking a pill made it not enjoyable, and I only took the pill an hour before I knew I was going to drink and no other time, I’d skip taking the fucking pill.

I have experience with addiction and so do several loved ones who have managed decades long abstinence.

The “intentionally take a pill that ruins your drug of choice right before you use your drug of choice” sounds absolutely crazy to me. But if it helps addicts, then I’m all for it.
View Quote

You still get drunk its just kinda different... Not the same euphoria, less likely to just keep drinking all night till the wee hours... It was still somewhat enjoyable at first but my brain just wasnt quite getting the same reward. It didnt totally ruin drinking.

Idk i was ready to quit and that was all it took for me just commit to taking the pill before drinking.

The studies show an effective rate of >78% compared to <5% for aa. Took me 3 months to totally quit. Some of the folks in the facebook group have been at it over a year and are still social drinkers but have gotten shit way more under control.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top