BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

we, I have zero problem being asked why we did something and explaining it.
you see the problem is..some members don't care why we did what we did..and any explanation we offer will be ignored..
those folks usually have a very long list of warnings or account locks..
If I make a mistake I own it..I don't consider editing out pics because we are asked to is a mistake. Some do..that is their prerogative.
View Quote
Do we get the same explanation when other groups/gov agencies begin contacting arfcom requesting information/pictures get pulled?  Is this the new norm?

And for the record, my list of warnings consists of one warning by a staff member no longer actively working on the forum, to my knowledge.  I'm not exactly a problem child.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
no hidden agenda here..In England..who knows..it wouldn't surprise me one bit..
I took the e-mail at face value..like I do with every e-mail I receive, every fund raiser request I receive,etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please tell me you're not seriously that naive about what's going on
I took the e-mail at face value..like I do with every e-mail I receive, every fund raiser request I receive,etc.
This isn't a fundraiser.  This is censoring posters on your forum at the behest of a foreign government agency with an agenda.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It is, but folks are a bit testy right now.
Brownells is taking over, how will things change (is this part of it?)
The recent shootings and talk of bans and UBC.
People are on edge.  
GD gets a wiff of something strange and paranoia spreads outside of the "usual suspects."
Like corn for dinner, this too shall pass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, ducky.  The place has gone all "us vs. them" with moderation.  It's going swimmingly.
It's GD, a bit more than usual, but same old same old.
No, take a look through the locked threads.  It's not the same people who like to complain about everything.  Yes, some of them, but it's a broader group of membership.
It is, but folks are a bit testy right now.
Brownells is taking over, how will things change (is this part of it?)
The recent shootings and talk of bans and UBC.
People are on edge.  
GD gets a wiff of something strange and paranoia spreads outside of the "usual suspects."
Like corn for dinner, this too shall pass.
This wasnt really a conspiracy theory though. A 3rd party asked mods to moderate a thread and they did. Its cut and dry facts at this point. Dont try to lump this in with the Brownells/NRA conspiracy stuff.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

the problem would arise when someone asks why he edited them out, he replies "a mod asked me to because the police dept asked them to"..and we end up exactly where we are now. we edit posts here all the time without contacting the person that posted it..
View Quote
Nah, the problem is when you honor the request of a government that is the antithesis of what our Constitution stands for. Pics of dying/dead Americans are fine but god forbid we show a pic of a Bobby that got injured in the line of duty. Even my British wife is appalled by what the UK, and most of the Commonwealth for that matter, has become.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Considering that we are talking about a government and police force that is threatening charges to those who make fun of a criminals hair, and that photos of this incident have been scrubbed from the vast majority of the internet, which do you think is more likely?

The optics on this are terrible. Those pictures, at one point, were all over the Internet. Now they aren’t. And we are told that it is the family driving that spring cleaning?

On this site: I’ve seen two blondes get their heads cut off, Americans screaming in pain as they get shot up and killed in an ambush in Africa, an officer get murdered by a m1carbine toting psychopath, and countless, countless more.

One request by a foreign agency That is the embodiment of censorship and media control of the narrative and boom. Sorry we can’t show that here.

Ok then.
View Quote
Censorship at its finest,  a whole truckload of steaming BS
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

the problem would arise when someone asks why he edited them out, he replies "a mod asked me to because the police dept asked them to"..and we end up exactly where we are now. we edit posts here all the time without contacting the person that posted it..
View Quote
At the behest of some foreign PD? I don't know man but that's a pretty weak excuse in this particular case. The whole episode is getting even more distasteful.

Thanks for the explanation but you really can't fault the membership for trying to right a perceived wrong.

We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Ni!
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
great suggestion..filed away for the next time if it happens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would have blurred out the guys face a little out of respect and told the British this is the best they get. That would have been a respectful action.

I get both sides but ever since our forefathers kicked their asses, they have no sway here.

Now the thread is gone and their quest of erasing the event is one step closer to complete.
great suggestion..filed away for the next time if it happens.
Show you stick up for the members.  Do it this time.

You can delete pictures and you can put them back.

So blur the face and post the picture.

The ball is headed toward the plate.  You have a chance to salvage a base hit or whiff it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:02:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please tell me you're not seriously that naive about what's going on
You're pretty naive then.

Equating fund raiser requests from site members to an email from a foreign police force known for participating in censorship and disarming of otherwise lawful citizens is not a good look either.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wow,,just wow. thetreeoflibertyforums is what you seek now.
View Quote
Is that some 88er place? I don't roll with the whole skinhead crowd. Fiancee is Mexican, so she kind of gets bent out of shape when I burn crosses in the yard.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I just spent 30 minutes searching for the photo originally posted.  I found it on ONE website and ONE twitter account.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#15]
“I’m sorry but the pictures don’t violate our rules for posting.  We are a pro freedom website as our owner said here:

Pete(Brownell): "I think your vision, and you started some 20 plus years ago, is squarely in line with what America needs right now as a freedom platform. What are we going to do together? Where is our philosophy as we move forward for being that freedom platform. How does that all play out in your mind?"

The pictures may be insensitive, but freedom is messy.  If you have any further questions please see what our owners philosophy on the matter is above.

Best wishes...”

So what is it,  Pro-freedom or not?

ETA: pro-freedom* for now I guess
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I would like to know what happens if after the next sadly inevitable machete attack, you guys get the same request. And after the next one you get the same request, and again and again. When do you put your foot down?

We don't know if the family actually contacted the authorities and my never know for sure. In the future this precedent could be used to sensor terrorist attacks and other events caused by a certain sect of people at the request of people who want to keep these things under wraps. I don't doubt for a second that there are departments in the UK whose sole purpose is to find and sensor online content, how are you going to know the difference?

Would you have locked or nuked the thread if they asked you to instead of just removing the photos?
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If we had received requests from them before or every time something like this happened in Britain I would have deleted the e-mail without responding.
However this is the first time they have ever contacted us with a request..and there have been a metric ton of assaults on police and soldiers in england.
so like I mentioned..I took their request at face value because I had no reason not to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope you answer honestly (Im not being a jerk here...just take a deep breath and try to be). Do you believe that the UK police have a historical issue with censoring public information? Yes or no? Did you not see this request as suspicious as it was passed through the chain at a UK PD to you? Do you believe you could have politely refused that request without insulting the family or officer? (I believe you could have easily)
If we had received requests from them before or every time something like this happened in Britain I would have deleted the e-mail without responding.
However this is the first time they have ever contacted us with a request..and there have been a metric ton of assaults on police and soldiers in england.
so like I mentioned..I took their request at face value because I had no reason not to.
The entire problem is turning a request into a demand.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#18]
If you've not noticed that the Pro LE site statement has been doubled down on likely hundreds of times, you simply have not been paying attention. The only thing new now is it has gone international. Kind of a UN type of policy that killed a very legitimate, important discussion. Any other changes are simply a coincidence, not a result of the sale of the site.

Couple that with the heavy stacking of actual LE among mods and staff, are you actually surprised? If so, again, you have not been paying attention. Expect less to be less disappointed. Still plenty of fun stuff... for now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope you answer honestly (Im not being a jerk here...just take a deep breath and try to be). Do you believe that the UK police have a historical issue with censoring public information? Yes or no? Did you not see this request as suspicious as it was passed through the chain at a UK PD to you? Do you believe you could have politely refused that request without insulting the family or officer? (I believe you could have easily)
There are plenty reasons not to take it at face value and look into it.

The old saying: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

They might have good intentions, you might have good intentions, whomever might have good intentions... But it's still censorship.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is that some 88er place? I don't roll with the whole skinhead crowd. Fiancee is Mexican, so she kind of gets bent out of shape when I burn crosses in the yard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow,,just wow. thetreeoflibertyforums is what you seek now.
I dunno, but it does have a "Canada is toast" thread, so it has that going for it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just spent 30 minutes searching for the photo originally posted.  I found it on ONE website and ONE twitter account.
View Quote
See? The event ALMOST didn't happen.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This wasnt really a conspiracy theory though. A 3rd party asked mods to moderate a thread and they did. Its cut and dry facts at this point. Dont try to lump this in with the Brownells/NRA conspiracy stuff.
View Quote
I am not, I am explaining the mood of the sight when this happened.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Been pretty shit for a couple years now.

Now it's really bad. I just renewed my membership last night and right after I did I asked myself why I did it.

You haven't missed much. I often take months-long breaks as well and I never feel like I'm missing out.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and now you have set a precedent

now they know all they have to do is ask and it shall be done
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
well according to some here..everything we do is because of Brownells..despite the site owners repeatedly telling the members that it isn't the case.
See how it becomes a bit frustrating when people don't accept the facts.
and on that note..I've responded to questions, explained yet again why I edited the pics out. you can agree,disagree, hate me..your choice...
I'm done repeating myself. Hopefully no one will manage to get this thread locked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well according to some here..everything we do is because of Brownells..despite the site owners repeatedly telling the members that it isn't the case.
and on that note..I've responded to questions, explained yet again why I edited the pics out. you can agree,disagree, hate me..your choice...
I'm done repeating myself. Hopefully no one will manage to get this thread locked.
The only thing getting threads locked are hurt feelings.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No..those in charge are dealing with the problem children..and apparently they don't like it.
the play ground is closed.
View Quote
fuck that bullshit! i just ordered a new tire swing and made a see-saw!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Striker,

I have been a member of this site for a very long time.  Obviously, by my post count, I don’t offer many opinions here.

That said, I have visited this site just about every single day since I joined and read plenty of threads here over the years.

It has been a beacon of freedom!

This situation is extremely disturbing and I, like many here, just cannot understand why you do not see why.

You say you took this request on face value?  Fine.  But even so you allowed censorship to occur under direct influence by a government entity, from an external nation.

This is not some small trivial action and it does not take a huge leap in logic to understand this.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Show you stick up for the members.  Do it this time.

You can delete pictures and you can put them back.

So blur the face and post the picture.

The ball is headed toward the plate.  You have a chance to salvage a base hit or whiff it.
View Quote
That would require admitting to making a mistake. Not happening.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
kcolg30 is still posting stupid shit.
View Quote
Fuck that guy
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#31]
OP, you might want to make yourself scarce for another couple months until the heat dies down.    There’s no point in taking part in the discussion.   They are taking any critique as criticism, and they are taking it personal.    Things are way beyond the point where a friendly suggestion can do any good.  Survival is the best we can hope for at this time.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I haven't wanted to look.  Are the underscore bros still at it? They must be loving it.
View Quote
I think so.  What a shame.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Post it up
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Striker,

I have been a member of this site for a very long time.  Obviously, by my post count, I don’t offer many opinions here.

That said, I have visited this site just about every single day since I joined and read plenty of threads here over the years.

This situation is extremely disturbing and I, like many here, just cannot understand why you do not see why.

You say you took this request on face value?  Fine.  But even so you allowed censorship to occur under direct influence by a government entity, from an external nation.

This is not some small trivial action and it does not take a huge leap in logic to understand this.
View Quote
Regardless of this incident ARFCOM staff needs to make a clear policy when it comes to outside requests of ANY TYPE OF CENSORSHIP (whether something a mod sympathizes with or not).
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
“I’m sorry but the pictures don’t violate our rules for posting.  We are a pro freedom website as our owner said here:

Pete(Brownell): "I think your vision, and you started some 20 plus years ago, is squarely in line with what America needs right now as a freedom platform. What are we going to do together? Where is our philosophy as we move forward for being that freedom platform. How does that all play out in your mind?"

The pictures may be insensitive, but freedom is messy.  If you have any further questions please see what our owners philosophy on the matter is above.

Best wishes...”

So what is it,  Pro-freedom or not?

ETA: pro-freedom* for now I guess
View Quote
*exclusions apply
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#36]
It looks that way. I thought the recent heavy infiltration of share blue was becoming thick,,but lock up threads at the request of a foreign agency is pretty bad. Whats next? no China threads?
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's only a matter of time till another attack happens. Wonder if they will heed the order from the police next time they're called on to censor
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No..those in charge are dealing with the problem children..and apparently they don't like it.
the play ground is closed.
Did you ask the double underscore for permission first?
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Regardless of this incident ARFCOM staff needs to make a clear policy when it comes to outside requests of ANY TYPE OF CENSORSHIP (whether something a mod sympathizes with or not).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Striker,

Outside censorship requests of photos or information that does not violate coc CANNOT be allowed to be granted for the continued existence of this site. This is integral for a lot of things this site represents in relation with rights deemed unpopular by many 1st world countries such as the 2nd, RTKABA, and other freedoms that are under assault. A leak in the dam cannot go unaddressed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#41]
In on 5.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That would require admitting to making a mistake. Not happening.
View Quote
Pride comes before a fall. I had no way of knowing yesterday that when I clicked the original thread that started this whole Donnybrook that my view of Arf would be forever changed.

Since Striker has chosen not to reply to my question directed to him on Page 4, I assume that I am one of the shitposters / problem children and I should quit while I am ahead.

My final utterance on this whole mess is that in my opinion a bad decision made by Striker and his pride and arrogance defending that decision will have a measureable and lasting negative impact on Arf going forward. I'm out.

edited to remove the word satellite added by autocorrect.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

and on that note..

I've responded to questions, explained yet again why I edited the pics out. you can agree,disagree, hate me..your choice...
View Quote
I could care less about the whole brownells thing but hundreds of members across several locked/ozoned threads think your action was wrong. You still you don't think so. Sorry, but your position shows a huge disconnect with the membership.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

then the members that are stirring the pot need to stop..
the playground is closed..
View Quote
We don't want it closed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Nobody likes a quitter.

Check out this thread, Good times are upon us
View Quote
wow... completely missed that thread.... this place is getting interesting.  freedom loving censorship
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
We don't want it closed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

then the members that are stirring the pot need to stop..
the playground is closed..
We don't want it closed.
It'll stay open until it offends some foreign nation.

Hopefully nobody posts a pic that gets picked up by the communists filters.

We need to add on to the coc, posting a pic that gets flagged by enemy filters gets you a warning .
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
and now you have set a precedent

now they know all they have to do is ask and it shall be done
View Quote
Has anyone informed Bernie, Hillary, AOC, Fidel, etc.
These folks NEED TO KNOW.....they gotsa know I tell ya!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Striker,

Just wanted to say even that I had posted that I clearly disagree with your actions this time, I am very thankful for all the time you have put into this site.

You have a tough job that you volunteer to do. Thanks for your contributions to this site.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What am I missing here? Doesn’t your first sentence contradict your second sentence? Why not delete this request, just like you said you would if it had happened prior to this first request?
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Today is a shocking and sad day. A very slippery slope has been installed and the site has been used as an instrument of foreign censorship to help stop the message.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top