User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This. Other cartridges do better for cheaper

Hell were there any production rifles other the M1 carbines/clones chambered in it? I only know of a handful of pistols
View Quote

Marlin Model 62 Levermatic, offered in two chamberings; .30 carbine and .256 Winchester Magnum. They talked about adding .357 (which might have actually sold enough to justify keeping it in production), but to the best of my knowledge, never made any.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/139707/IMG-0260-258303.jpg

My Grandfather, pride of the 94th, somewhere in Europe '44/'45 with his M1 carbine.

Gramps on the left. His best buddy, James Madison Chase, AKA Calhoon, from Rensselaer New York on the right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A .30 carbine that weighs 2 pounds more than an M1 carbine. It will sell like something that sells poorly.

My Grandfather, pride of the 94th, somewhere in Europe '44/'45 with his M1 carbine.

Gramps on the left. His best buddy, James Madison Chase, AKA Calhoon, from Rensselaer New York on the right.

Gramps told me he was originally issued an M1 Garand. As an ammunition and pioneers guy in the headquarters company hauling shit plus a big ass rifle didn't light his fire.

When the chance to get the M1 carbine came around he jumped at it simply from a "not having to haul as much shit" perspective.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Only a hobbist would do this. It would be a money losing endeavor for any company to attempt something this. Think about R&D and profits/sales analysis. If I ran a gun manufacturing co. and someone comes to me with this idea he would be fired on the spot.

Also, there are AR 9mm and 300 blackout so it would make a .30 Carbine AR pointless after R&D.
View Quote

You sound like the management at Colt.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Personally, I think a decent quality new production M1 Carbine that's USGI spec would be a better seller than a AR chambered in .30 Carbine.

The Auto Ordnance and "New Inland" suffer from QC issues, and the Fulton Armory models run $2000 bucks because their custom built. Bring a USGI spec Carbine out in the $1200-1400 dollar range and it would sell better than a AR chambered in the caliber.

Anyone thinks I'm nuts just look at Springfield Armory and the SA-35.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  You sound like the management at Colt.
View Quote

So, OP, what's the highest you've bid on an old Olympic in .30 Carbine on Gunbroker so far?
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Cuz .300 blackout
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Why don't they make an AR in .30-40 Krag?  
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
30 Carbine is an excellent cartridge.
View Quote

In a M1 carbine I think it is fine. But it is very limited in the grand scheme of things.

Basically there is no ammo available and even in normal times there is very little available. Add into that there is no variety available.

I will be contrarian…I want an M1 carbine in .300 blackout…with better mags. ;)
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why don't they make an AR in .30-40 Krag?  
View Quote
Mmmmmm . . . .30-40 Krag.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I’d much rather just shoot my m1 carbine, I don’t think anyone would buy that dopey thing you are proposing.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
At this time, you'd be happier running a 300BO
View Quote

I'm surprised it took this long for this obvious fact to surface.  The AR15 with a barrel change to 300BO gets you 30-cal with more velocity, more energy, and the same magazines available everywhere.  While I think the 30-cal carbine is an awesome, fun, rifle, it loses to the 300BO in nearly every category if you stuff the old cartridge in an AR platform.  The cool thing about the old carbine is the gun itself.  The caliber is just relatively decent.  Not pissing on the 30-cal carbine...just not going to be "all that" in an AR.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  Personally, I think a decent quality new production M1 Carbine that's USGI spec would be a better seller than a AR chambered in .30 Carbine.

The Auto Ordnance and "New Inland" suffer from QC issues, and the Fulton Armory models run $2000 bucks because their custom built. Bring a USGI spec Carbine out in the $1200-1400 dollar range and it would sell better than a AR chambered in the caliber.

View All Quotes
Quoted:  Personally, I think a decent quality new production M1 Carbine that's USGI spec would be a better seller than a AR chambered in .30 Carbine.

Lol.  Fulton Armory ARE GI spec, down to the forged receivers.  That's what it costs to build carbines to the original spec today, which hasn't been done since the 40's.

Auto Ordnance & Inland suffer from more than QC issues - they fucked up the length of the bolt:

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_kahr.html

The dimensions of various parts used by Auto-Ordnance are not the same as their GI counterparts. Their carbines lack most of the finish machining required by the specifications that produced the original carbines during WWII. Some surplus GI parts may appear to fit and operate properly but may not work during actual firing. If you replace the Auto-Ordnance bolt with a surplus GI bolt or any bolt other than those made for Auto-Ordnance or the current Inland Manufacturing for your safety and the safety of others be sure to have the headspace checked. The bolts used by Auto-Ordnance are slightly longer than the original GI bolts. The dimensions of the bolt lugs are not the same as those of a surplus GI bolt.

A new Inland or Kahr's Auto Ordnance carbine is like buying a late Universal - looks similar to a US carbine, but takes proprietary parts.  Bolts and stocks are not GI dimensioned.  For the money, get a GI beater & upgrade over time, an early Universal or Plainfield & replace parts w/ GI over time, etc.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Why hasn’t anyone made a revolver that shoots 556?
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I want a Lewis Gun in .30-30.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I love the .30 carbine cartridge, and I'd like to have a semiauto pistol (that's not an AMT) to shoot it. I'd also like a DA revolver that's not a Taurus...
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes, yes they did. And like everyone else, they learned M1 Carbine mags are fragile little fuckers.
View Quote

Like I said, they were designed and constructed as single use consumables. Two teeny dimples is all there is to hold the weight of the mag and 30 cartridges. One good whack and you'll get all kinds of ftf jams.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:  Why hasn’t anyone made a revolver that shoots 556?
View Quote

Taurus did.  Not clear if they ever imported them, though.  High-pressure bottle-necked cartridges in revolvers tend to have extraction issues.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Lol.  Fulton Armory ARE GI spec, down to the forged receivers.  That's what it costs to build carbines to the original spec today, which hasn't been done since the 40's.

Auto Ordnance & Inland suffer from more than QC issues - they fucked up the length of the bolt:

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_kahr.html

A new Inland or Kahr's Auto Ordnance carbine is like buying a late Universal - looks similar to a US carbine, but takes proprietary parts.  Bolts and stocks are not GI dimensioned.  For the money, get a GI beater & upgrade over time, an early Universal or Plainfield & replace parts w/ GI over time, etc.
View Quote

Don't take this the wrong way but I know Fulton Armory M1 Carbines as well as anyone here (I own 2).

You don't walk into a gun shop and just buy one, you have to order one from FA. They don't keep a quantity on hand to fill that order, each rifle is built as it's ordered. That adds to the cost per Carbine.

If someone were to dedicate modern production methods to making one (CNC machining the receivers as Fulton does, but on a larger scale than they do now) the costs could be brought down from that $2K price point.

I bought my 1st FA production Carbine in 2018, it's serial number is under 1200. My 2nd I bought this year has a serial number in the 1700 range. That means in 4 years Fulton only produced 500 Carbines. That's not "mass production" IMO.

As I said, if someone were to use modern production methods they could bring the cost down making larger production runs than Fulton does
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#21]
It actually has already been made

Fort Ellis made one some years ago , I know someone who has one
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#22]
You could download 110gr 300 blackout 1900fps to match 30 carbine if you really wanted to.  But why would you want to lose 400pfs for 30 carbine equivalent?
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would legitimately be cool as fuck.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why not an optics ready, double stack Luger?
View Quote
a POLYMER optics ready double stack Luger..now that would be something.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I still want a hopper fed 12ga mini-gun.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

In a M1 carbine I think it is fine. But it is very limited in the grand scheme of things.

Basically there is no ammo available and even in normal times there is very little available. Add into that there is no variety available.

I will be contrarian…I want an M1 carbine in .300 blackout…with better mags. ;)
View Quote

Ruger makes it.  Calls it a Mini-30
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/5ddc336bfd9db244c913783d-460.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/5ddc336bfd9db244c913783d-460.gif

Wouldn't it be tho.

When Elmer asks you what caliber you shoot, you could honestly say, "Turdy-Turdy". Then watch him melt down in horror when you uncrated the Lewis.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I always wanted a mp5 in 30
Glock longslide in 30 would be the coolest glock ever made
View Quote

How's about in 7.62x39 for less than $1,200 with arfcom discount? https://atlanticfirearms.com/ptr-32-pistol

I'm with the "M1 carbine is best .30" crowd. By the time you get there in an AR, it wouldn't be cheap.

Dad carried an M1 carbine in Korea and bought one at a hardware store around 1990 for $200. (Nice Inland) He gave it to me about 15 years ago. Wouldn't change a thing. In a world where a Glock is $600, decent revolver is $900, $1,200 for an M1 carbine is not outrageous.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:  Don't take this the wrong way but I know Fulton Armory M1 Carbines as well as anyone here (I own 2).

You don't walk into a gun shop and just buy one, you have to order one from FA. They don't keep a quantity on hand to fill that order, each rifle is built as it's ordered. That adds to the cost per Carbine.

If someone were to dedicate modern production methods to making one (CNC machining the receivers as Fulton does, but on a larger scale than they do now) the costs could be brought down from that $2K price point.

I bought my 1st FA production Carbine in 2018, it's serial number is under 1200. My 2nd I bought this year has a serial number in the 1700 range. That means in 4 years Fulton only produced 500 Carbines. That's not "mass production" IMO.

As I said, if someone were to use modern production methods they could bring the cost down making larger production runs than Fulton does
View Quote

Sure.  But there's not a large market for forged receiver GI spec M1 carbines when there's 6 million GI carbines already on the market.  Folks buying the Fulton are buying their guns to shoot, to better preserve their GI collection.  Average joe, if he wants a GI spec carbine, he buys a GI carbine and replaces parts as needed.  Once orginal GI guns exceed Fulton's current price and demand goes up for a GI spec carbine, then you might see GI spec mass production.  Given current inflation driving up wages, the only way you'd see a new production GI spec carbine for less than the originals would be foreign produced, Turkey, Brazil, or suchlike.  China could do it but we're not allowed to import it.

The Kahr Auto-Ordnance/Inland guns would be perfect early Universal/Plainfield replacements if they had got their dimensions correct from the get go.  It's inexcusable to have screwed that up.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Because .30 Carbine ammo already doesn't sell, even though there are millions in gun owner's hands. It is a round that makes sense only in view of the rifle it was designed for. Otherwise launching what is effectively a .30 Magnum out of a rifle doesn't leaves a lot to be desired.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Sure.  But there's not a large market for forged receiver GI spec M1 carbines when there's 6 million GI carbines already on the market.  Folks buying the Fulton are buying their guns to shoot, to better preserve their GI collection.  Average joe, if he wants a GI spec carbine, he buys a GI carbine and replaces parts as needed.  Once orginal GI guns exceed Fulton's current price and demand goes up for a GI spec carbine, then you might see GI spec mass production.  Given current inflation driving up wages, the only way you'd see a new production GI spec carbine for less than the originals would be foreign produced, Turkey, Brazil, or suchlike.  China could do it but we're not allowed to import it.

The Kahr Auto-Ordnance/Inland guns would be perfect early Universal/Plainfield replacements if they had got their dimensions correct from the get go.  It's inexcusable to have screwed that up.
View Quote

Thing is there isn't 6 million USGI M1 carbines on the market 2021. I doubt that 1/2 survived this long and most of those are in safes around the US. As for USGI Carbines equaling what Fulton charges for theirs, I suggest you ask some of the people who bought the last run of Italian returns that Midway sold off. The "best" grades sold for about the same as a new production Fulton sells for. And the Midway returns (2000 guns IIRR) sold out in 1 morning.

If 2000 guns can sell out in 1 day I would say there is enough demand that new production Carbines could warrant production in quantities higher than Fulton is able to produce.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ruger makes it.  Calls it a Mini-30
View Quote

Lol, good point. I wasn’t even thinking of that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I cant imagine a more pointless firearm.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:  Thing is there isn't 6 million USGI M1 carbines on the market 2021. I doubt that 1/2 survived this long and most of those are in safes around the US. As for USGI Carbines equaling what Fulton charges for theirs, I suggest you ask some of the people who bought the last run of Italian returns that Midway sold off. The "best" grades sold for about the same as a new production Fulton sells for. And the Midway returns (2000 guns IIRR) sold out in 1 morning.

If 2000 guns can sell out in 1 day I would say there is enough demand that new production Carbines could warrant production in quantities higher than Fulton is able to produce.
View Quote

Start a GoFund me for start up money, then sell enough stock so you can start mass production.  You'll make a mint!  Just consider that the track record for longevity of companies solely producing commercial carbines for their income is not real good.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's called .350 legend and actually works
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want one in the venerable .357 magnum 125 gr Remington load.  No other cartridge, including the .50 BMG has the same manstopping track record.

A 160 grain bullet at 2300 FPS would most certainly do the job well.  Even the 125 Remington load doesn't reach anywhere close to 2300 FPS.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Start a GoFund me for start up money, then sell enough stock so you can start mass production.  You'll make a mint!  Just consider that the track record for longevity of companies solely producing commercial carbines for their income is not real good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Thing is there isn't 6 million USGI M1 carbines on the market 2021. I doubt that 1/2 survived this long and most of those are in safes around the US. As for USGI Carbines equaling what Fulton charges for theirs, I suggest you ask some of the people who bought the last run of Italian returns that Midway sold off. The "best" grades sold for about the same as a new production Fulton sells for. And the Midway returns (2000 guns IIRR) sold out in 1 morning.

Their income wasn't good at the time because they had to compete with cheap surplus USGI Carbines. That was then, this is now. The supply of USGI Carbines has gotten to the point where a stash found in a goat shed in Ethiopia sold out at prices higher than CMP's did when in stock .

As too starting my own company, I doubt I ever have too. I'm betting your also one of those who thought Springfield Armory was wasting their time making a modern production Hi Power. We know how that's working out for them now.

As to a modern production USGI spec Carbine, Springfield Armory came close in 1997-2001

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_springfield.html

I could see someone like them doing it. The reason they didn't at that time was again the same reason companies like Plainfield and Iver Johnson failed, the supply of surplus USGI Carbines 1997-2001 was enough to met demand at that time. That supply is gone unless the largest supply left is ever released to the US market (the Korean have a estimated 50-100.000) and those are barred from import
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

A 160 grain bullet at 2300 FPS would most certainly do the job well.  Even the 125 Remington load doesn't reach anywhere close to 2300 FPS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want one in the venerable .357 magnum 125 gr Remington load.  No other cartridge, including the .50 BMG has the same manstopping track record.

It's close out of a rifle. @Derek45
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Well we've been around a while.
View Quote

I wanted one of those very badly. If memory serves, it was right about the time that Barrett was talking about importing the Tavor.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

People still buy .40 S&W.  Sooo....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
.30 carbine AR15 that takes M1 Carbine magazines.   I think it would be a hot seller
.30 carbine. Nuff said.

People still buy .40 S&W.  Sooo....

I bet 90% of those who do only do so because they already have guns chambered for it
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:  Their income wasn't good at the time because they had to compete with cheap surplus USGI Carbines. That was then, this is now. The supply of USGI Carbines has gotten to the point where a stash found in a goat shed in Ethiopia sold out at prices higher than CMP's did when in stock .

As too starting my own company, I doubt I ever have too. I'm betting your also one of those who thought Springfield Armory was wasting their time making a modern production Hi Power. We know how that's working out for them now.

As to a modern production USGI spec Carbine, Springfield Armory came close in 1997-2001

I could see someone like them doing it. The reason they didn't at that time was again the same reason companies like Plainfield and Iver Johnson failed, the supply of surplus USGI Carbines 1997-2001 was enough to met demand at that time. That supply is gone unless the largest supply left is ever released to the US market (the Korean have a estimated 50-100.000) and those are barred from import
View All Quotes
Quoted:  Their income wasn't good at the time because they had to compete with cheap surplus USGI Carbines. That was then, this is now. The supply of USGI Carbines has gotten to the point where a stash found in a goat shed in Ethiopia sold out at prices higher than CMP's did when in stock .

Why would you think that?  I'm just amused by ARFCOM's sudden lack of outrage about the Illinois lobbying deal when Springfield introduced a product they want.

From your link:

The reason for not proceeding with the carbines is believed to have been the retail prices needed to cover the overhead cost and still earn a profit would not be well received by buyers.

When GI guns & commercial carbines were cheap, they were utility guns.  AKs & ARs have replaced the carbine as a cheap utility gun.  So, the GI carbines are now collectible, and the carbine design prevents it from being made cheaply to compete w/ the AR & AK - so no cheap utility gun market segment.  What's left is shooters for the carbine collector - who by definition is relatively well heeled.  Which Fulton covers nicely.  Kahr & Inland have the cheaper remaining commercial carbine market covered, albeit I'd rather have an early Universal or Plainfield than a new Kahr or Inland.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Wonder if a ruger PC9 could be made to work with 30 carbine?
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A .30 carbine that weighs 2 pounds more than an M1 carbine. It will sell like something that sells poorly.

Awesome picture.

I bought an M1 Carbine when I was at Ft Sill in the early 80.'s. Ammo was $10 for a 50 round box. And it was everywhere. I shot that thing so much....I didn't realize it was supposed to be inaccurate, I shot a ton of prairie dogs with it LOL...sometimes lobbing them in.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It's close out of a rifle. @Derek45
View Quote

@brachiosaur

this ?

( for the record, I don't think a 30carbine AR15 would sell)

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#44]
?? Any idea how those 125's hold up?
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#46]
I would be more interested in a M1 Carbine in 5.7 x 28mm.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Their income wasn't good at the time because they had to compete with cheap surplus USGI Carbines. That was then, this is now. The supply of USGI Carbines has gotten to the point where a stash found in a goat shed in Ethiopia sold out at prices higher than CMP's did when in stock .

View Quote

Isn't the solution as simple as you calling Fulton Armory and ordering 100,000 rifles?

You negotiate a lower priced based on volume and you handle the warehouse and logistics of keeping them in stock at retail stores.  

They can increase production with your firm order because you have proven the demand by placing the order.  

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
?? Any idea how those 125's hold up?
View Quote

no, but I imagine an XTP or similar, designed for 1200-1600fps expansion would grenade like a varmit bullet at 2300fps

Make make a good coyote round, . . . . but when I coyote hunt I use a flatter shooting .223 or 6.x
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:  Wonder if a ruger PC9 could be made to work with 30 carbine?
View Quote

No.  Straight blowback & .30 Carbine don't mix.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Because 30 Carbine round SUCKS ASS!
View Quote

1 1/4" 14 ga. steel at 100 yds. I'm not seeing much "SUCKS ASS" there.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top