Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I was interviewing some city sanitation workers the other day regarding a possible mechanical issue with a garbage truck that might have injured a truck operator.
I won't bore you with the details.

Some of these guys I talked with had been working full-time for their city for 20-35 years.

One of them made a comment that it seemed like everyone was trying to jump on the "teacher-police-fire" bandwagon. He said it seemed like some employees (not all, but an increasing number) expected others to genuflect whenever they entered the room.

"Let's say nobody gets their trash picked up next Monday...do you know what it would be like around town by Friday?"

the man made a strong point

...and the word "hero" is almost meaningless now
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Most likely female based on the infinity sticker doodad on the bottom right.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Ahhhhh dispatchers

A Local regional ambulance company I do service work for issues it’s dispatchers 5.11 BDU’s all embroidered with reflective “EMS RESPONDER” logos in big block font on the back

Not one of these people is under 350lbs. They had to give them their own lobby because the food delivery people would get lost.

All of them carry shears and tourniquets. All of them signed up for that first responder cell phone network. 75% drive retired PD chargers, or blacked out civilian trim explorers.

Out of 14 years working at that site the only complaints I’ve received were from that self righteous department. They nitpick everything
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most likely female based on the infinity sticker doodad on the bottom right.
View Quote
I was wondering about that, trying to figure out what's in the bottom right of the Infiniti sticker
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was interviewing some city sanitation workers the other day regarding a possible mechanical issue with a garbage truck. I won't bore you with the details.

Some of these guys had been working for their city for 20-35 years.

One of them made a comment that it seemed like everyone was trying to jump on the "teacher-police-firefighter" bandwagon. He said it seemed like some employees expected others to genuflect whenever they entered the room.

"Let's say nobody gets their trash picked up next Monday...do you know what it would be like around town by Friday?"

the man made a strong point

...and the word "hero" is almost meaningless now
View Quote
Truth.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's as bad as the TBL "wife" sticker I saw on a vehicle the other day. Why would anyone want to advertise they're a cops wife? That's like painting a giant target on your car for every criminal fuck out there
View Quote
Or they're trying to not get tickets.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:26:38 AM EDT
[#7]
The big push now is to have dispatchers considered 'first responders' (I think TX started on Sept. 1).
While I admit they have to deal with and hear some fucked up things, they are not first responders.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I respect dispatchers who do their job well. Out of the 7 my department employs only one has earned that respect. He is also the only one who keeps himself in shape by working out and doing pushups in the dispatch room when call volume is low. He also voluntarily participates in the yearly police physical we have to do. Every other dispatcher is 300lbs or bigger and they are all completely worthless. Those are the ones who push for dispatchers to be considered first responders.

About 6 months ago I was talking to one of them and they said an officer couldn't do their job because it was so complicated. Well... little did they know when I started the department required officers to spend 2 weeks training in dispatch so we could fill in if needed. I volunteered to run dispatch for an hour and did it with them watching while my shift mates went and did all they could to overwhelm me. After that hour with zero issues I handed them their headset back and left. I haven't heard a complaint from that one since.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The big push now is to have dispatchers considered 'first responders' (I think TX started on Sept. 1).
While I admit they have to deal with and hear some fucked up things, they are not first responders.
View Quote
Exactly.  I am thankful for our dispatchers, and am very kind to them in the phone.  I would not want their job.  However, they do NOT have the inherent risk that defines a first responder.  Short of a freak accident, you’re not getting hurt in your secure computer room.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I work IT for the county here. For about four years, I was the tech for our 911 dispatch.
I'll tell you right now, that's not a job I would want to do. They talk with the gamut of people, from dull eyed mouth breathers, to busybody old ladies, to kids playing with mommy's cell phone, to somebody having the worst day of their life, to somebody having the last day of their lives.
While keeping their computers and associated stuff running, I heard a lot of shit go down, from a woman who found her baby blue and cold, to a guy who called and said "I'm at 1234 anystreet. Send the police and the coroner." BANG (sound of phone falling to the floor)
I've seen dispatchers collapse into tears after calls, and I've seen them hang up and laugh like loons. I've seen the defensive, cynical sense of humor they develop. We've had three dispatchers suicide in the last ten years.
And yeah, some of them are kind of goofy. I don't care, as long as they do the damn job.
One of our dispatchers had stickers made up that said "911 dispatcher, defeating Darwin on a daily basis"
There's a lot of truth to that statement.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Stereotype much?

Did a dispatcher steal your cookies or did they send your annoying ass on a shitty call or something lol?

Plenty of Dispatchers are overweight.  High stress sedentary jobs are a perfect environment for it.  Shall we discuss how many overweight police officers there are?  Or how many cops do everything they can to get out of doing their job?  How many of them are on a power trip?  Is it the norm?  No it's not, so a decent person doesn't label all officers that way.  Saying an entire group of people are a "Bunch of fat customer service reps" makes you appear to have the same mentality as all the other "cops suck", "repubs are bad", "Conservatives are fascists" people.  
View Quote
Somebody sits behind a radio. Notice I said typically..... there are some good ones, but the stereotype is about 95% accurate.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#14]
It's now obvious they operate.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:48:32 AM EDT
[#15]
answering phones is hard!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Billy bad ass right there. There’s usually one or two dispatchers in every PSAP that wear 5.11 pants and a thin blue line punisher shirt or something ironic like that.

if you ask them what they do, they're basically door kickers with a headset.

Edit - the majority are great people that have a sense of community service and are good at their jobs. But when you meet that special dispatcher, they’re speicial.
View Quote
They're the first line of contact, bro. The piercing tip of the spear. How do all dynamic entries start? Some bitch calls 911.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 10:00:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I want one for HVAC tech. It needs to have a skull also and be in multi cam, but the multi cam green has to be R22 green.
That would be awesome.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I know a dispatcher for a major metro area.  She has a personalized license plate that is in some kind of dispatch code that a dispatcher, or more importantly, a police officer would understand.  I've always assumed it was a subtle way to get out of tickets.  She's physically fit, not 350 pounds.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That’s as bad as the TBL “wife” sticker I saw on a vehicle the other day. Why would anyone want to advertise they’re a cops wife? That’s like painting a giant target on your car for every criminal fuck out there
View Quote
It is just an open legs sticker for other cops to fuck her.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Dispatchers in our area are almost universally middle aged women who are 50-300 lbs overweight. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
911 dispatchers are not nice people. At least that one In Fort smith
View Quote
In the LE field, dispatchers (and COs) have the least appreciated, most stressful job.
I'm not justifying that stupid sticker, but I do respect dispatchers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Stereotype much?

Did a dispatcher steal your cookies or did they send your annoying ass on a shitty call or something lol?

Plenty of Dispatchers are overweight.  High stress sedentary jobs are a perfect environment for it.  Shall we discuss how many overweight police officers there are?  Or how many cops do everything they can to get out of doing their job?  How many of them are on a power trip?  Is it the norm?  No it's not, so a decent person doesn't label all officers that way.  Saying an entire group of people are a "Bunch of fat customer service reps" makes you appear to have the same mentality as all the other "cops suck", "repubs are bad", "Conservatives are fascists" people.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm actually quite surprised that person was able to put their food down long enough to put the sticker on. Lord knows they have to always talk on the radio with a mouth full of donuts. Bunch of fat customer service reps is typically all they are.
Stereotype much?

It's amazing how well a good dispatcher can multi task.
Many years ago, we had a police chase and an OIS shooting going on at the same time, at least a dozen priority one calls backed up, and our dispatcher kept her monotone, keeping track of everyone and doing one hell of a job.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Pulled off the interstate for a pit stop.

I'll admit I don't understand it.  A skull with headphones?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/214834/20190905_175119_jpg-1080351.JPG
View Quote
It's like how the punisher skull is cool, so all the people with punisher skulls are cool. Same concept, that 911 Dispatcher is cool too.

Link Posted: 9/6/2019 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Headset because well, they use one.

Skull because whoever that is is dead inside due to that suckass job.

View Quote
Not far from the truth.

Dispatchers usually only last about a year or two in that job.

It's incredibly hard and stressful. Lots of undiagnosed PTSD from doing it.

It is a suck ass job.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I saw a punisher skull with the blue line sticker on a brodozer the other day, and I genuinely thought to myself : "wtf does that even signify?"
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Somebody sits behind a radio. Notice I said typically..... there are some good ones, but the stereotype is about 95% accurate.
View Quote
I don't sit behind the radio, I did for awhile though.  95% is not accurate, it is an exaggerated stereotype - but keep on trying to justify your statement.
Do you sit on the other end of the radio?
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Exactly. WTF is that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm wondering about the license plate.
Exactly. WTF is that?
https://twitter.com/apeetae
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Dispatchers have a high stress and thankless job. Good ones are amazing, calm under pressure and keep track of a bunch of events at a time.  In rare occasions lives are on the line.  I wouldn’t want the job. They want to feel good about themselves, no problem with me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Is there a color for Engineers @SCW ?
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#30]
I feel for them.  They do have a tough job having to listen to people call and not being able to do a thing about it, and a lot of times they don't get resolution to whatever dramatic event it was.  But.....

We got this one guy who spends his time trying to give us directions to hydrants(they are on the computer, not needed, plus we got eyes and drive our district) and he tries to predict your transmission.  And sometimes he will prematurely clear you from a call because he thinks that is the case.  While he is doing all this he misses traffic from units and they get ignored until they repeat it.  That sucks if your traffic was really important.  Then he will answer you with excuses why he missed your traffic.

Overall our dispatchers are good people, but this guy grinds my gears.

Crappy rant over.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Is there a color for Engineers @SCW ?
View Quote
Damn straight.

Architects are the equivalent of these hot-shot call center head-set jockeys. They think they are engineers, but they can't do the maths.  Totally stolen valor, we should have a universal background check on our Engineer with Honor stickers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Well, with the amount of people some of them kill fucking up, maybe thats appropriate

Last time I spent any length of time on the phone with a dispatcher ended up with guns drawn on people because it turns out they'd never actually, you know, told any deputies fucking anything, so help wasn't actually on the way.

Deputy wasn't amused either.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Dispatchers have a high stress and thankless job. Good ones are amazing, calm under pressure and keep track of a bunch of events at a time.  In rare occasions lives are on the line.  I wouldn’t want the job. They want to feel good about themselves, no problem with me.
View Quote
It's a shit job. Half the calls are ass hats that should have called the non emergency line, or called someone else entirely. Like a plumber, or a shrink. The other half of the calls you are talking to a frantic person on the phone who really needs help and probably won't get it in time... and you are stuck in fucking dispatch completely helpless to those in need. Be it the public, or your own patrol.

I volunteered as a sheriff department cadet when I was a kid. One of the many requirements was to put in at least two shifts in dispatch before being able to ride on patrol. The longest 30 seconds of my life was when a felony traffic stop one night for expired plates and owner coming back with a warrant. A second patrol marked arrived just as the first officer keyed his mic just long enough to say “Gun. Gun...” Radio went dead, and the fucking air sucked out of dispatch. One dispatch called in more units and dirrected all radio traffic to backup channel. Then we all sat there waiting... For fucking forever... They finally came back with one in custody.

The stress of patrol was easier for me to deal with, than sitting in dispatch. I hated working in dispatch.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#35]
DON'T CALL HIM RADIO!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
911 dispatchers are not nice people. At least that one In Fort smith
View Quote
Ya, I was bleeding to death & rapidly going into shock and the dispatcher got angry with me when I asked her to please hurry the EMS along. Flat out told me she was not going to come and get me, they were on the way, wait.

I'm surprised she would even talk to me after she got my location. Sounded like she wanted to end the call and go do something else.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I know a despatcher woman who doesn’t speak of her work.

The one time she did, she was in tears immediately.

There are good ones out there who just want to be the ones to help people when they are in their worst moments.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 1:11:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It's a shit job. Half the calls are ass hats that should have called the non emergency line, or called someone else entirely. Like a plumber, or a shrink. The other half of the calls you are talking to a frantic person on the phone who really needs help and probably won't get it in time... and you are stuck in fucking dispatch completely helpless to those in need. Be it the public, or your own patrol.

I volunteered as a sheriff department cadet when I was a kid. One of the many requirements was to put in at least two shifts in dispatch before being able to ride on patrol. The longest 30 seconds of my life was when a felony traffic stop one night for expired plates and owner coming back with a warrant. A second patrol marked arrived just as the first officer keyed his mic just long enough to say “Gun. Gun...” Radio went dead, and the fucking air sucked out of dispatch. One dispatch called in more units and dirrected all radio traffic to backup channel. Then we all sat there waiting... For fucking forever... They finally came back with one in custody.

The stress of patrol was easier for me to deal with, than sitting in dispatch. I hated working in dispatch.
View Quote
This is pretty spot on based on my experience. Most of my work was pretty chill and low key, but I've had to listen to a mom watch her child die in front of her and some other pretty fucked up shit.

It is also easily the lowest on the totem pole in the entire police department. Like barely above the janitor low. On top of that, it is a shitty paying, dead end, high stress job. My department could barely find anyone willing to take it. And why would they? You could go slap meat on a tray at Rudys for $13/hr and smoke a joint when you are done, why put up with dispatch and all it's bullshit for $2/hr more?

It's kind of a fucked up situation really.

On another note, I think the cure for anti gun people is work a week in dispatch at a metro area. If you aren't carrying after that, there is no fixing you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 1:24:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 1:29:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 1:43:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How old did the driver look?

When you are new to public safety you feel like you are 10 feet tall and bulletproof and like to fly that flag high.

After a while, almost everyone tones it down to the level that is required to maybe get out of a ticket and begins to feel empty inside.

View Quote
LOL

Young cops want everyone to know they are a cop

Old cops want no one to know they are a cop
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 1:54:59 AM EDT
[#42]
The top one has GOT to be some kind of joke or spoof. No way that's meant to be serious. I hope.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 2:12:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Everyone is an operator now.

I wonder if they get that blue label deal for Glocks too
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 2:37:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The top one has GOT to be some kind of joke or spoof. No way that's meant to be serious. I hope.
View Quote
God I hope it isn't.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 2:44:38 AM EDT
[#45]
87% chance that dispatchers name is Karen.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 3:31:47 AM EDT
[#46]
What town OP?

i bet Mandan
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 3:39:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What town OP?

i bet Mandan
View Quote
You'd win that bet unless you can find another town with an old red trail with an Arby's on it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 3:42:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 5:11:25 AM EDT
[#49]
One of the neighbors down the street is flying the dispatcher flag. Of course, I had no idea what it meant until my wife looked it up. We were driving by, and I was like "Oh, good lord, there's a thin yellow line now, whose dicks are we supposed to start sucking next?"
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#50]
I was wondering what A1911SHOOTER was up to.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top