Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 1:54:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

Remember, it is a water ratio of 1 1/3 cup to 1 cup of rice
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 2:02:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Usually when I make rice for a meal it's a minute rice.  Myself like many here have a small stockpile of regular rice and I know rice is probably one of, if not the most eaten food on the planet. So is a rice cooker just something sold to take advantage of the numbers or does it make really good rice and make life easier?  I need to start turning some of my goods over and I'm wondering if a rice cooker is worth taking up more space in my kitchen.
View Quote

Yes. Get one and start cooking.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 2:06:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I just read all 4 pages and noticed a trend - most of y'all are not, or not mentioning, washing your rice. This is essential. WASH YER GAT-DANGED RICE Y'ALL. Actually its rinsing well with a sieve until water is clear. No matter what and how you make rice - this will make it better - unless ....

Unless you are using parboiled/Uncle Ben's "rice". Nothing makes that shit edible!
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 2:29:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Zojirushi master rice checking in.
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 2:45:41 AM EDT
[#5]
It gets used more than any other appliance in our house for the last 30 years. After 20 years we finally got a new one. You can even replace the slow cooker with it. It has been used to make rice, soups, stews, bread, cakes, puddings, and more. Get a good one and it will last for years. Get a cheap one and you'll hate it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 3:21:28 AM EDT
[#6]
We use ours multiple times a week, probably one of our most used kitchen appliances.

I got it when I was single and doing meal prep, I could toss the rice in, fill it with water, and then hop in the shower while it cooked and not have to babysit the rice and worry about it burning.

I just have a cheapie Aroma from Walmart, we just used it the other day to make rice for burritos. I like how consistent it is, once you have your water/rice ratio down it comes out the same every time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 4:00:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 4:37:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 4:48:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I only read the first and second page of this thread but did anyone mention the Insta Pot?

I gave my rice cooker away after cooking rice in my IP.  It does a lot more things and is one less item I need to store.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I use mine a lot but I also meal prep twice a week so it’s just nice to set it and forget it while I’m making other stuff.

J-
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 3:51:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Just ordered a Zojiushi thanks to this thread.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:02:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Uncle Roger FTW.

(I still don't and won't own a rice cooker, but I love me some Uncle Roger just the same)
View Quote

Why you so white?

Even my cheapskate 75% scottish, 75% jewish dad owns a rice cooker.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:21:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I need a "the horror... the horror" Brando gif here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 7:15:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just read all 4 pages and noticed a trend - most of y'all are not, or not mentioning, washing your rice. This is essential. WASH YER GAT-DANGED RICE Y'ALL. Actually its rinsing well with a sieve until water is clear. No matter what and how you make rice - this will make it better - unless ....

Unless you are using parboiled/Uncle Ben's "rice". Nothing makes that shit edible!
View Quote
This is why I'm always dubious when somebody who's preaching prepping mentions lots of rice storage. Rice isn't something you want to deal with if you don't have plenty of water.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 7:24:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

All the Asians I know, know how to cook rice in a pan, but they all got rice cookers.  Usually two.  One for regular every day use and a giant one for celebrations.

I know how to cook rice in a regular pan, fuck that when there's rice cookers easily and cheaply available.

Ain't no one gots time to be messing around cooking rice in a sauce pan on the stove.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not if you know how to cook rice in a pan.

All the Asians I know, know how to cook rice in a pan, but they all got rice cookers.  Usually two.  One for regular every day use and a giant one for celebrations.

I know how to cook rice in a regular pan, fuck that when there's rice cookers easily and cheaply available.

Ain't no one gots time to be messing around cooking rice in a sauce pan on the stove.
My Korean sister in law agrees with your post 100%
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 7:27:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Instapot makes perfect rice plus it can do a bunch of other stuff
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes, unless you have an Instant Pot that does it.  We ditched our rice cooker once we started using the Instant Pot.  One less kitten gadget and it does the job REALLY well.
View Quote

IP makes good rice but we often use both at the same time.  Rice cooked in rice cooker to go with pot roast or chicken dishes made in IP.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:11:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have an Instapot but only used it for pressure cooking a few times. I'll have to check out the rice feature. Didn't cross my mind .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of the multi cookers like InstantPot also have rice cooking functions, I'd get one of those for the versatility since you can do so much with them and they're about the same size.

I have an Instapot but only used it for pressure cooking a few times. I'll have to check out the rice feature. Didn't cross my mind .

Wife cooks rice at least 4 times a week in ours. Highly recommend. It’s the EZ button
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Does it cook rice?
Sure

But so does a pan. I own one but never use it. Just takes up counter space.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#21]
We have a little Aroma cooker from Wally World

The right cook temp is key and this little guy is cheap, easy and cooks great rice every time

So, yes

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:31:35 AM EDT
[#22]
For best results I find the stove top is best for long grain rice.  Sometimes I will add a bit of chicken broth versus water and it is fantastic.

However, for people who don't want to watch that pot or stay in the kitchen the rice cooker is well worth it.  If I ever do non-standard rice it is the only way to go.

Most of the rice I cook today is via a good rice cooker...

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#23]
ZojiRushi and Sams Club Royal Basmati!
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#25]
GTG
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Two cups of water in a pan... get it to boiling, cut it to simmer, a cup of rice and put the lid on. Leave it alone for 20 minutes and there you go.
View Quote

This is basically what my grandmother's, mother, MIL, wife, and I (when single) have done except, we use chicken broth instead of water and brown a generous handful of vermicelli in 3 Tblsp of butter before adding the broth and rice.

"Church" pilaf requires some additional butter.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File

Got one of those 10 years ago.  On sale under $40 (maybe lower, been a long time).  Rosewill is not a manufacturer, they just rebrand stuff.   Gets used all the time.   It dies, I’d spend the money for a Japanese zojirushi, because it would be well worth it for the amount of use it would get.

"The Perfect Rice" | Jo Koy : Comin' in Hot

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This is basically what my grandmother's, mother, MIL, wife, and I (when single) have done except, we use chicken broth instead of water and brown a generous handful of vermicelli in 3 Tblsp of butter before adding the broth and rice.

View Quote

That's homemade Rice a roni.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#31]

^^^ This is the truth right here. LOLOLLOLOLOLOLOL
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#32]
We use ours all the time for rice.
I also cook up a batch of steel cut oats every few days for
breakfast. Just refrigerate the left overs and eat a bowl
each morning. Our rice cooker has a "porridge" setting
that I use.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Two cups of water in a pan... get it to boiling, cut it to simmer, a cup of rice and put the lid on. Leave it alone for 20 minutes and there you go.
View Quote
Grew up in LA and parents from rural TX. All we ever did. I can't stand soggy rice in a cooker that is mush.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Does she have a nice ass & tits?
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Rice is so stupid easy to cook on a stove, I don't need another counter clutter appliance.
View Quote

This.  I prefer Basmati in chicken stock with a pad of butter.   Easy enough...
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never had Rice a Roni so I wouldn't know.

It is typical rice pilaf as made by Armenians.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Does it cook rice?
Sure

But so does a pan. I own one but never use it. Just takes up counter space.
View Quote

Some take up about as much space (or maybe less with no handle) as a pan in a cabinet.

I like to use mine for more than just plain white rice, like Long Grain Wild Rice from RaR. Dump the box in, the seasoning, and a pat of butter. Easy like pie.

The steaming use is good too. Dumplings, broccoli, cauliflower, pot stickers, etc.

I have a similar sized egg cooker too (hard boiled, soft, poached, etc.) Fucking China! They are both about the size of a large cantaloupe and don't sit on the counter.

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
that I use.
View Quote

That’s basically the ‘Congee’ @beitodesstrafe referred to.

Got to do that some day.  I’ll try anything to see how good it is.   Found a bunch of stuff I would never have thought would be good is pretty tasty.   Of course if a bunch of the world’s population eats something, it’s probably not too bad…but pay attention to how they do it.   Don’t Americanize it and expect it to be the same.

But then…I’m in PA Dutch (Deutsch) country, and I’ve had 10 minute conversations with patients on the best way to make and cook (and serve) Scrapple.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Zojirushi master rice checking in.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Usually when I make rice for a meal it's a minute rice.  Myself like many here have a small stockpile of regular rice and I know rice is probably one of, if not the most eaten food on the planet. So is a rice cooker just something sold to take advantage of the numbers or does it make really good rice and make life easier?  I need to start turning some of my goods over and I'm wondering if a rice cooker is worth taking up more space in my kitchen.
View Quote

If you have the space and money? yes.

If you are limited on space I would put the money into an instantpot. I cook rice in it all the time and it does a fantastic job and i have the added versatility that comes with it.

Just remember its 1 to 1 liquid to rice, not 2 to 1 like most other ways to cook rice. I do 1 to 1 water to long grain rice (that i rinse to get the starch off of) and a healthy amount of salt. Once it done put some butter in it and mix it up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Depending on size, no. The ones I have experience with are made to make enough rice for an entire family for the day. Generally, a small pot is much easier to clean and easier to control. The cookers generally are good at making sticky rice whereas a pot gives you more latitude on how sticky you want your rice. I like fluffy rice so I’ll open the top for a bit on low heat to let the water evaporate off.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 6:19:36 AM EDT
[#42]
We use ours a couple times a week.  For the money this is hard to beat. Not a Zojirushi but the reviews tell a story that i mostly concur with. And yes wash your damn rice people. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0838SMXFZ?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Got to do that some day.  I’ll try anything to see how good it is.   Found a bunch of stuff I would never have thought would be good is pretty tasty.   Of course if a bunch of the world’s population eats something, it’s probably not too bad…but pay attention to how they do it.   Don’t Americanize it and expect it to be the same.

But then…I’m in PA Dutch (Deutsch) country, and I’ve had 10 minute conversations with patients on the best way to make and cook (and serve) Scrapple.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
that I use.

Congee is delicious.

Make it for my partner a lot, especially when she is sick or it is really cold outside.

I'll usually put a little powdered soup base in the water. Then serve it with shredded pork, soft boiled eggs, and hot sauce.

Something like this:

Also love to dip crullers in it if we have some fresh ones from one of the Asian bakeries nearby.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yes. Zojirushi FTW!
View Quote

/thread
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I have the same one my dad gave me when I went to college at 17. I have no idea how many hundreds of pounds of rice I’ve cooked in that thing.  Still gets the job done.

I’ve cooked rice every way, I think. They’re all easy, but my rice cooker is pretty much idiot proof.  It’s especially useful for cooking rice while I’m making other stuff. Push the button and forget about it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Congee is delicious.

Make it for my partner a lot, especially when she is sick or it is really cold outside.

I'll usually put a little powdered soup base in the water. Then serve it with shredded pork, soft boiled eggs, and hot sauce.

Something like this:

https://res.cloudinary.com/hksqkdlah/image/upload/SFS_congee-42_1_1_phdovh.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/58/Chinese_rice_congee.jpg/800px-Chinese_rice_congee.jpg

Also love to dip crullers in it if we have some fresh ones from one of the Asian bakeries nearby.
View Quote

Congee does nothing for me.

Not morally opposed, I’m just not into rice porridge.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#47]
I use my instant pot. Works great and very consistent.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:40:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Grew up in LA and parents from rural TX. All we ever did. I can't stand soggy rice in a cooker that is mush.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Number of times my rice cooker has produced mushy rice: 0
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:44:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yes. Zojirushi FTW!
View Quote

We went Korean with Cuckoo, but yeah, a REAL pressure rice cooker is quite the tool
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:19:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yes. Zojirushi FTW!
View Quote
Tier 1.  Perfect rice, you can't fuck it up.  Toss it in and do other things.  40 minutes later, perfect rice.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top