BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 23
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It appears Jeep compromised off-roading ability for more stable towing.

It may not make an difference since 90% of them will be used for hauling groceries.
View Quote
One thing I'm actually surprised about is that in almost all the videos I've seen of the Gladiator being compared against other midsize trucks is that on just about every obstacle the Gladiator scraped it's belly on, the other trucks also scraped despite their wheelbase being ~10" shorter and their break over angle being ~3 degrees better. It basically looks like if you're taking any of these trucks off road that you've just gotta accept that none of them are going to keep their belly off the ground unless you get them higher up off the ground. The Jeep looks like it will be the winner as far as how easy it is to get the truck significantly lifted. On road the Gladiator compares well to the rest of the midsize trucks, and obviously will tow better than a Wrangler, but the real question seems to be would you be better off with a 4dr Wrangler plus a off road trailer or a just Gladiator when offroading. The Wrangler + trailer seems like it might be a better route for off roading, but the Gladiator probably works out better for lots of people when used as a DD that also gets taken off road.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#2]
They looks so awkward.  Like bubba made awkward.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They looks so awkward.  Like bubba made awkward.
View Quote
It just needs bigger tires. Same with my LJ, it didn’t look right until it had at least 35’s on it.

Now that I think about it, all TJ’s look like toys without at least a 33” tire on them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My adopted dad just got one. He traded in his 07 wrangler for it.
View Quote
Wonder what they gave him for that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Saw a Launch Edition all blacked out on 37s. Fantastic looking.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking about one when I get rid of my JKR, but that tiny bed might be a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#7]
First recall.  Lolz.

Pdf from NHTSA
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Saw one tonight, not sure that I like the soft top on it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Going to do my best to get one in the future.
I love the 4 door wrangler I had but I also really need a truck sometimes. Perfect.
I hear the diesel is coming and you can do 35's no lift on the rubicon, plus 6spd  manual is an option.
I am hoping the price comes down a bit by the time I am ready.
I love the JK platform and I hear the JL is even better.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was thinking about one when I get rid of my JKR, but that tiny bed might be a deal breaker.
View Quote
@Pudwak

Tiny bed compared to what?  A full size?

The gladiator bed is nearly identical to all other small trucks.

Link Posted: 9/12/2019 11:50:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Going to do my best to get one in the future.
I love the 4 door wrangler I had but I also really need a truck sometimes. Perfect.
I hear the diesel is coming and you can do 35's no lift on the rubicon, plus 6spd  manual is an option.
I am hoping the price comes down a bit by the time I am ready.
I love the JK platform and I hear the JL is even better.
View Quote
No manual with the diesel,,,,,, sadly.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 11:59:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well that's dumb, but FWIW the 8 speed in the JL I drove seemed like a nice tranny and it responded well to manually shifting.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I like the idea of the diesel but will probably just get the gasser.
The diesel if the numbers dont change will be nuts torque, what is it like 400 @ 1700 rpm or something dumb?
Being the only diesel in the group (think Jeep offroading with friends) would be a downside if fuel ran low. I like the idea of having the manual with less maintenance, no limp mode worries, roll start option, and just generally more control just appeals to me more than a diesel does. The diesel will probably add alot to the price tag as well.
I would also probably do a Ripp Supercharger to help the v6 some.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought i read rumblings of a bigger gladiator version.
bigger axles and v8, more of a full size version. I cant keep legit production rumors separate from no release concept versions though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
bigger axles and v8, more of a full size version. I cant keep legit production rumors separate from no release concept versions though.
View Quote
The power wagon covers that. Solid axles and lockers in a full size truck. I am sure there is a Grand Wagoneer trailhawk planned when it comes out too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The power wagon covers that. Solid axles and lockers in a full size truck. I am sure there is a Grand Wagoneer trailhawk planned when it comes out too.
View Quote
Yeah, sounds like the Power Wagon.

The P/W is a fun truck but I am still considering a Gladiator. Seems like a cool truck to mod and play around with.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Needs big tires

JEEP GLADIATOR vs JLU RUBICON - On The Rubicon Trail (Part 1)

JEEP GLADIATOR vs WRANGLER RUBICON On The Rubicon Trail California
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#18]
By how things look at my local dealer, no. They cannot keep them on the lots.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree.

With big tires they become very capable. Even true 37's would gain them a lot of performance. I think the Mopar 2/2.5" lift is like $1200 and then get some new wheels and 37s.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I agree.

With big tires they become very capable. Even true 37's would gain them a lot of performance. I think the Mopar 2/2.5" lift is like $1200 and then get some new wheels and 37s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I agree.

Definitely 37's at a minimum if you are going to offroad it. Too much rear end and breakover.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 2:18:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Muh Jeep.

My pee pee is very small now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 2:46:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice..just put a 4.5 in lift on mine

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 2:57:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
What they are stumbling into is what many of us have known all along and that is that many want a vehicle that has identifiable separate parts like a grill, hood, fenders, etc... like they used to with somewhat modular construction that lends itself to aftermarket options and hobby upgrades. Many are tired of the squeezed out dog turd rounded lumps everything has turned into.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 3:45:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Nice.

How was the frame?

Link Posted: 9/28/2019 3:48:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Won't be production due to .gov.

This is FACT.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Very nice. Curious what size tires and how tall is your garage door?
Sad to think my options may be limited by the height of my overhead door but I don't think a 4-6" lift with 37s will fit under a 7' door.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is FACT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is FACT.
It's not the gov it's the market. The gov isn't stopping them from building it. Just because the current Gladiator and Wrangler can't pass a crash test with a Hemi doesn't mean they can't build a dedicated bigger rig.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This is FACT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is FACT.
It’s already in production it’s called the ram power wagon and comes with a factory winch.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I’m seeing them more and more on my drives around town... it’s not helping me, ‘cuz I really want to step into either a Rubi Gladiator or a Rubi Wrangler Unlimited at some point and my daydreams have unlimited budgets while my bank account is finite.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I've never seen one in the wild... I don't think I noticed any at the Jeep dealer when driving by a couplea times although I'm sure they're there..
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I am seeing more and more of them on the road.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I am seeing more and more of them on the road.
View Quote
I see quite a few
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Very nice. Curious what size tires and how tall is your garage door?
Sad to think my options may be limited by the height of my overhead door but I don't think a 4-6" lift with 37s will fit under a 7' door.
View Quote
I have an 83in opening from the floor. With the 4.5 lift and 33 in tires (stock) i am at 80 inches. I plan on going with 37s which will give me about an inch of clearance for my garage. My 13 jku had a 6in lift running on 35s that was about the same.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 5:40:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I see quite a few
View Quote
They should have or already crossed the 50k production mark at FCA.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 5:48:50 AM EDT
[#35]
They look goofy stock but a mild lift and 35’s is ??
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Jeep Gladiator vs Rubicon Trail: Can You Really Wheel A Long TRUCK Up America's Hardest Rocky Trail?
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Price gets me. That's a helluva lotta $$$ for something that Whirlpool could damned near stamp out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Didn't watch that but I predict a lot of scraping. That's how it went for the ZR2 video on the Rubicon, and it has a shorter wheelbase.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Mine just came in today...i already own a half ton

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326156/received_392121424763216_jpeg-1005549.JPG

Bash away
View Quote
Nice.  Looking forward to a full review.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#40]
not a jeep guy, but looks pretty sharp.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Didn't watch that but I predict a lot of scraping. That's how it went for the ZR2 video on the Rubicon, and it has a shorter wheelbase.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You are correct, a little body damage also
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:.... but the real question seems to be would you be better off with a 4dr Wrangler plus a off road trailer or a just Gladiator when offroading.
View Quote
Had my 2dr for about a year and only 3mo in realized how little room I had for passengers and stuff. Considered all the options (trailer, racks, move up to 4dr...) I decided 4dr was best option.

The major trade offs was turning radius and breakover angle. REALLY miss the 2drs turning radius but the 4dr works. If I had to do an about-face on a super tight trail it'd be 15min of 3pt turns but doable. The breakover angle is negated by at least a 4" lift and tires. 4dr's more stable on the road and for climbing too.
The room in the 4dr however is night and day compared to 2dr. Me and the wife in the front and the 10yo in the left rear with the big seat folded down you can pack a house in there! When I go shooting its nice to be able to lay all my long guns in the back and not need to set up a table for stuff. Overall Im super happy with 4dr.

Now the gladiators come out I have to admit Ive looked at it, but after considering the role of my jeep, the galdiator just doesn't fit. Its too big and too long. Couldn't imagine  negotiating a tight trail in that thing!!

If I need to haul thats what the chevys for, and If I need to pack more on the trail I can get a trailer. IMHO 4dr is the perfect compromise for trailing, climbing and weekend getaways. The gladiator is just too much and really is in the truck class. May as well get a Tacoma if solid axles dont matter to you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have a 2011 Rubicon.

Looked at the Gladiator.

Ended up buying a Ram Power Wagon.
View Quote
Every time I see a Ram PW on the street I torture my brain thinking of reasons to go buy one. That's one helluva lotta truck.

Not so much with the Gladiator. They are cute and I'm certain they'll sell well and evolve into what's expected and cost twice as much eventually.

Jeep? Rubicon. Why settle for less.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Hardest rock trail???  L Oh L.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Mine just came in today...i already own a half ton

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326156/received_392121424763216_jpeg-1005549.JPG

Bash away
View Quote
Dang, that's nice. No bashin' from me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Every time I see a Ram PW on the street I torture my brain thinking of reasons to go buy one. That's one helluva lotta truck.

Not so much with the Gladiator. They are cute and I'm certain they'll sell well and evolve into what's expected and cost twice as much eventually.

Jeep? Rubicon. Why settle for less.
View Quote
My buddy has had one for a few years. He loves that truck. From what I've seen, it's badass. I prefer a midsize, but if I needed a bigger truck, that would be it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is the only 10 that’s a badge of honor trail.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#48]
I know I'm a Jeep fanboy but I was impressed. Stock Rubicons on the Rubicon Trail? Not even (it looked like) any Mopar aftermarket lift/bigger tires?

Does not suck.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 3:25:51 PM EDT
[#49]
The number one reason we keep skipping past buying my Wife something in the Wrangler lineup is the NA 6 cylinder.

It’s crazy for their prices their isn’t a turbo 6 at min. Many people who are potentially a buyer have boats, SxS etc etc and after throwing on a decent set of tires it’s even more gutless.

I have a 2500 Cummins for my personal needs but it would be nice to drop the top on our way to Windrock with the smaller trailer.  We had a friend towing a single 14ft light weight enclosed one weekend ( in 4d unlimited) and the guy could not even keep up on interstate at 75mph.

It’s almost 2020 not 1975.

I’ve owned three CJ’s and kick myself for not keeping at least one.  Seriously thinking of picking up another one just for trips around the house.

As far as the Gladiator that’s one ugly SOB but I doubt they will be a flop. I do not think they will have near the success that the unlimited has enjoyed though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#50]
BTW
If you think the Gladiator is expensive I have a feeling the next words out of Fords mouth will be “Hold my Beer” once they release the Bronco.
Page / 23
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top