Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So they're nearly identical weight, with just a foot shorter and six inches narrower difference between a full and a mid size truck. Maybe I live in Bizarro world but that's pretty much the same thing.
View Quote
You definitely live in bizzaro world. You know that modern full size pickups are also 79.9 inches wide, right? Is the Ranger pretty much the same width as a modern full size? Would you say that a 92 F150 with a 6 3/4 foot bed is pretty much the same length as one with an 8 foot bed? They're 16 inches different in length; only 3 inches more than the difference between the F150 and the Ranger.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

People complained the the JK jeep was too wide compared to the TJ. but in reality it is only 4" wider.

But in the real world 6" better in a lot of parking lots.
View Quote
And a JK is actually slightly wider than a Ranger (73.7 vs 73.3, both without mirrors).
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#3]
. Small trucks absolutely suck.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The regular cab short bed F150 is shorter than the modern Ranger. Of course, the F150 is also shorter than an extended cab early 90s Ranger. Step up to an 8 foot bed on the F150 (because the kind of guy who likes a regular cab is all about muh plywood) and the Rangers are shorter again.
View Quote
For full-sized trucks that's currently true since they're virtually all work trucks. Back when small trucks were still a thing, the buyers weren't buying them to haul 4x8's around with the tailgate up. They bought them to be a small truck and bought short beds. Before the 4 door, short bed became the standard, the two door short bed was the top seller. The size of the current midsize and full size  trucks are the reason I bought a standard cab short bed F100.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wouldn't want to drive a 2.3L Ranger with the A/C on.

I bleed blue, and that motor is an absolute dog.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My '97 extended cab Ranger 2wd, 2.3L, 5-spd XLT would get 27-28mpg on the highway with A/C on. Low 20s around town. Nothing can touch that anymore.
I wouldn't want to drive a 2.3L Ranger with the A/C on.

I bleed blue, and that motor is an absolute dog.
For my purposes at the time that truck did everything I needed it to. Not like I was trying to beat people at traffic lights or merge with traffic on crowded Interstates.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
My 88 Comanche and 99 GMC Sonoma were both good vehicles.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The problem isn't that no one wants a small truck anymore.
The problem is no one wants to pay $30k+ for a small truck.
The combination of .gov mandated safety and emissions regulations is the main culprit in the demise of the small truck market.

ETA: In high school, I had a 1981 Datsun pickup. Four banger, carbureted, 5 speed. It got 30 to 35 mpg. Is there even a new truck made today that will get 35 mpg?
View Quote
A buddy bought a new Tacoma 4cyl and was impressed at getting 28mpg.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A buddy bought a new Tacoma 4cyl and was impressed at getting 28mpg.
View Quote
And the problem is that it is 26k MSRP.

A truck should be smaller, with a 2.5L 4 banger, and 6-10k cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The Colorado has been on the market unchanged since 2014. There are almost 6 years worth of them rolling around.

The new Ranger didn't start selling in volume until April 2019.
View Quote
The Colorado/Canyon was introduced to the US market in 2004 and was redesigned in 2014.
First gen:

Second gen:
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Average american can't fit in a small truck.

Most trucks are purchased to supplement the owners ego.  Small trucks dont help low self esteem.
View Quote
I'm only 5'8" and I found the 2020 Ranger I drove for 5K miles to be cramped and uncomfortable.

It didn't hold the road well, wake from oncoming traffic disturbed it a lot more than a 1/2 ton.

The front seats had to be scooted up way too close to the front to allow passengers to be cramped and uncomfortable in the back seat.

I felt like I was driving a truck made for midgets.

Has nothing to do with a little dick and/or low self-esteem.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The combination of .gov mandated safety and emissions regulations is the main culprit in the demise of the small truck market.

ETA: In high school, I had a 1981 Datsun pickup. Four banger, carbureted, 5 speed. It got 30 to 35 mpg. Is there even a new truck made today that will get 35 mpg?
View Quote
Damn. If that thing had A/C, it'd be tits.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It did have A/C. Running the A/C is when it got 30 mpg instead of 35 without.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Ford fucked up by not offering the 2.7 V6 Ecoboost in the new Ranger.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Colorado has been on the market unchanged since 2014. There are almost 6 years worth of them rolling around.

The new Ranger didn't start selling in volume until April 2019.
The Colorado/Canyon was introduced to the US market in 2004 and was redesigned in 2014.
First gen:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4a/2010_Chevrolet_Colorado_--_NHTSA.jpg/1024px-2010_Chevrolet_Colorado_--_NHTSA.jpg

Second gen:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c2/Coloradojf1545.JPG/800px-Coloradojf1545.JPG
First gen looked fine.
Second gen looks like someone spilled water all over the plans and the edges bled into some kind of smoothed-over design.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:35:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Honda ridgeline?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:41:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Vehicles keep getting larger and the parking spaces seem to be shrinking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no “small” truck sold in the US anymore.  The dimensions of the current smaller trucks are pretty much what 1/2 tons were 20 years ago.

Small trucks were popular when they had small prices.  By the time the Tacoma was created, the price was already matching 1/2 tons.  It was a hard sell, and so they became 1/2 tons.
Vehicles keep getting larger and the parking spaces seem to be shrinking.
Liberate yourself from lines.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:08:55 AM EDT
[#18]
New trucks are friggin huge.  I hate it.

Not mine but spitting image of mine, It’s all the truck I need.  And yes it’s roll up windows and manual door locks.  The 3rd gen Tacoma is too big.  I miss my 2001 Tacoma.  I would love to find another one.  They’re perfect size.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:23:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I like small trucks

https://i.imgur.com/zs3p83s.jpg?2
View Quote
Not everyone has a CDL
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:28:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I had a 90 Bronco II as a company vehicle and it was great for squeezing into right places.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:45:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I miss the $5995 1986 Mazda B2000.
View Quote
I miss my $6000 new 1986 F-150, I-6, 4-spd w/creeper 8' work truck.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:11:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Maybe one day they'll combine the utility of a trailer with a vehicle.  They can call it (i dunno just spitballin' here)... a truck.  Huh, I might be onto something here.

Only in a clown world would someone need to buy a trailer to haul stuff with a truck.  But in the age of unusable bed height, yes... it's unfortunately needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly I think the thing that most people miss about the minitruck era was the ability to access the bed without having to climb in it.

For people who actually used their truck for hauling (general light homeowner stuff), a simple bed height and width where you can reach in and grab what you need is great to have.  No, it won't tow your gooseneck trailer, nor be appropriate for deep swamp bogging, nor be able to haul rail road ties well, nor add inches to your dick... but for the average diy home improvement/garden guy an easily accessible bed is great to have.  With my ever-increasing crummy knees, I don't want to climb and rappel like a damn 20 year old ninja to get a bag of compost.  Ymmv of course.
For light homeowner stuff, a small utility trailer does all of that better, including hauling railroad ties.
Maybe one day they'll combine the utility of a trailer with a vehicle.  They can call it (i dunno just spitballin' here)... a truck.  Huh, I might be onto something here.

Only in a clown world would someone need to buy a trailer to haul stuff with a truck.  But in the age of unusable bed height, yes... it's unfortunately needed.
That's what the majority of Germans do. Most of the cars sold over here are offered with a towing package, and there are a plethora of light duty trailers...think something the size of a Harbor Freight trailer, either open w/ rails, a canvas tie-down cover, or enclosed with hard sides. When you go to OBI, which is their version of Lowes, or to IKEA, they have designated parking spaces for cars with trailers. The only full-sized trucks that I have seen over here are usually owned by Americans. I have seen quite a few Rangers and Hiluxes, but they are the exception.

Now, granted, Germany is not as vehicle friendly as America is...the Autobahn notwithstanding. Driving my Edge in some of the smaller towns can be a little white-knuckling due to the narrowness of the streets and people parking on the side of the street. Some of the parking garages have such low ceilings that I could reach up through my sunroof and touch the ceiling (and that is factory ride height with factory 20" wheels), and the corners are tight enough to require a two or three point turn to get around unless you hit the angle perfectly. Jacked-up brodozers and factory crew cab F250s or Chevy 2500s would simply be undriveable here.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My last truck was a 2004 Dakota with the 4.7L V8 and a 5-speed.

It was the last year before they screwed it up. Great truck and a ton of fun to drive. So many burnouts so little time.
View Quote
I had the same truck except an 01. I just got rid of it last fall. It was easily the best vehicle I have owned.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I saw a regular cab short bed truck a few days ago.  Looked like a toy.  OTOH I parked my 09 GMC 2500 HD CC LB next to a new, lifted Ford Super Duty 2500.....what a monster.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1818/78C6DA46-2182-46D9-B9A0-9D4411CDDDAC_jpe-1286384.JPG
View Quote
That's a nice looking truck aside from the stupid leveling. I saw my first newer regular cab f150 here recently, damn it looked so sharp and I never cared for the looks of f150s over the last two+ decades. Regular cabs look so much better, especially with the newer Fords.

Admittedly, regular cabs suck about 1% of the time when needing secure storage or hauling more people, but 99% of the time a regular cab fills my needs. I realize for many other people those percentages are much different.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just saw a commercial for the Ranger. It was advertised at $43-$45 thousand. FUCK THAT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ford ranger, chevy colorado?
Just saw a commercial for the Ranger. It was advertised at $43-$45 thousand. FUCK THAT.
I bought a new very well optioned Ranger XLT FX4 crew cab in December for $29k. Absolutely love my Ranger.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes the almighty NTHSA knows best and will force you to drive in a crappy looking huge bubble with zero visibility.

Onward comrade to progress!
View Quote
Some people spend most of their driving time getting in accidents it seems by the huge concern over crash testing and safety that always comes up in these discussions. People are much more concerned these days about that stuff which is fine I suppose.
Vehicle crash safety isn't even considered when I look at a vehicle, maybe because I spent my youth roaming unrestrained in 60's-80's vehicles or being taken to the baby sitter on the back of my dads motorcycle rather being locked into a 5 point harness surrounded by air bags 24/7.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. The market is there, and the government has made it impossible to fill the need. My 84 B2000 gets a lot of comments and the occasional offer to buy it, and while it is in better shape than a lot of other 35 year old vehicles, it's certainly not pretty. I do from time to time wish I had 4WD or a longer bed though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#29]
I've never understood the appeal. It's less capable than a half ton and the price difference is marginal at best. Getting less for my money has never been appealing to me though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The 2020 Ranger is the size of an early 90s F150.  They are not "small trucks". They are quite a bit larger than the third gen Ranger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ford ranger, chevy colorado?
The 2020 Ranger is the size of an early 90s F150.  They are not "small trucks". They are quite a bit larger than the third gen Ranger.
This and they cost about 90% of a full sized truck
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Full sized F150 gets near 20mpg.  Tell me why I'd want a smaller truck.  
View Quote
I can't say why you'd want a smaller truck.  But I traded in my 2005 F150, which I loved and still ran great, for a new Tacoma due to city parking becoming more difficult with a large truck.  I found the new model full size truck seemed to be much larger than they were even 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My 97 Ranger was, too.  But it was a compromise in every way I could think of.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Nissan Frontier?

Also, when these trucks are costing 40k most people opt to go to full size for more of everything for the same price. More interior room, more power, larger bed etc
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#34]
I guess if they wanted to the could just make a two door model with a bed, different gearing, suspension, etc. out of the many compact SUV's racing about. Be kind of cost effective too as the bulk of the vehicle R&D would stay intact but less in cost due to the reduced interior anemities.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Evidently. GM/Chevy even killed the regular cab SWB for 2020.
I should have bought it
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/255759/10D5A799-EF31-4EB8-92F7-C90B20C794CF_jpe-1286564.JPG
View Quote
Those were $45,000 in medium trim.

I shit you not.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly I think the thing that most people miss about the minitruck era was the ability to access the bed without having to climb in it.

For people who actually used their truck for hauling (general light homeowner stuff), a simple bed height and width where you can reach in and grab what you need is great to have.  No, it won't tow your gooseneck trailer, nor be appropriate for deep swamp bogging, nor be able to haul rail road ties well, nor add inches to your dick... but for the average diy home improvement/garden guy an easily accessible bed is great to have.  With my ever-increasing crummy knees, I don't want to climb and rappel like a damn 20 year old ninja to get a bag of compost.  Ymmv of course.
For light homeowner stuff, a small utility trailer does all of that better, including hauling railroad ties.

Or you could, you know, use something OTHER than a truck to tow that small utility trailer. Something that might be more practical, comfortable and useful the other 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I shit you not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Evidently. GM/Chevy even killed the regular cab SWB for 2020.
I should have bought it
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/255759/10D5A799-EF31-4EB8-92F7-C90B20C794CF_jpe-1286564.JPG

I shit you not.
That one was $34k I had the cash but was in the process of moving so I passed. Kinda wish I'd just bought it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have an '11 GMC Canyon.

Love that damn truck.

Pulls my boat, dirt bikes, quads with no problems.

Drives like a sportscar.

Extended cab opens to put guns/gear/groceries super easy.

I think it has 242HP with the 5 cylinder.

New Colorados are definitely bigger.
View Quote
As a owner of the same generation of GMC Canyon...

You need to drive better sports cars.

You drive a nice truck though
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There is no “small” truck sold in the US anymore.  The dimensions of the current smaller trucks are pretty much what 1/2 tons were 20 years ago.

Small trucks were popular when they had small prices.  By the time the Tacoma was created, the price was already matching 1/2 tons.  It was a hard sell, and so they became 1/2 tons.
View Quote
This.

Also, there will never be legitimate small trucks again because of crash ratings. Y'all need to get that through your heads. That era is over.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#40]
I bought one new in 2013. Unkillable.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ditto this exactly.
My 2018 Tacoma is every bit as big as my daughters 91 Chevy 1500.
There is nothing small about it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Wife really likes this truck. Haven't test driven it yet. I have a F150 regular cab with 8 foot bed. But she wants no part of driving a full size truck.

Is this a decent price?
2020 Colorado
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This.

Also, there will never be legitimate small trucks again because of crash ratings. Y'all need to get that through your heads. That era is over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Then how are they able to make small cars?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Some people spend most of their driving time getting in accidents it seems by the huge concern over crash testing and safety that always comes up in these discussions. People are much more concerned these days about that stuff which is fine I suppose.
Vehicle crash safety isn't even considered when I look at a vehicle, maybe because I spent my youth roaming unrestrained in 60's-80's vehicles or being taken to the baby sitter on the back of my dads motorcycle rather being locked into a 5 point harness surrounded by air bags 24/7.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes the almighty NTHSA knows best and will force you to drive in a crappy looking huge bubble with zero visibility.

Onward comrade to progress!
I am an old fuck, and I too find this fixation on crash ratings amusing.

If everyone is so concerned about purchasing vehicles with the highest crash ratings, we would all be driving Volvo’s or Mercedes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote
Ford is bringing the courrier to market here.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I am an old fuck, and I too find this fixation on crash ratings amusing.

If everyone is so concerned about purchasing vehicles with the highest crash ratings, we would all be driving Volvo’s or Mercedes.
View Quote
Acceptable risk. The difference between a modern Volvo and pretty much everything else is a fraction of the difference between a modern truck and one from 30 years ago.

The same logic works with any other risk assessment, such as wether or not to carry a self defense firearm vs never leaving the basement.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#47]
@Bassgasm and anybody else who was talking about truck sizes.

A couple guys at my old job had mid 90's Chevy full size trucks. A couple more had 2010ish Chevy full size trucks. One guy had a 2nd gen Colorado. I had my 1st gen Canyon.

Parking my Canyon next to the newer Colorado the newer Colorado was clearly the bigger vehicle, but overall they were close.

Parking my Canyon next to the newer Chevy full sized trucks the FS trucks were clearly the bigger vehicle, and it wasn't even close.

Parking my Canyon next to the older FS trucks the FS trucks were clearly the bigger vehicle, but it was close.

When the newer Colorado parked next to the older FS trucks that is exactly when it becane very very hard to tell which truck was bigger. Guys can spit out googled dimensions all they want but when you see them next to each other it's very hard to quantify the size difference, and that's coming from somebody who dealt with measuring shit all day long.

There was also a guy with a 64 Chevy truck but nobody parked next to him...
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#48]
I still want a 97-03 Dak 2 door short bed w/4x4 and v8.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Vehicle crash safety isn't even considered when I look at a vehicle, maybe because...
View Quote
Are you sure it's not because all new trucks are comparable in safety, and demonstrably safer than they were twenty or thirty years ago? The combination of market and regulation has created a situation where there isn't enough difference between like vehicles to worry about it. If one truck were to have a five star crash rating, and the other have one star, would you still not consider it?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Ditto this exactly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto this exactly.
It's funny how people claim this isn't possible.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top