Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's one of the classic GD cliche butthurt topics, second maybe only to ranting about chain restaurants.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Whats wrong with Idris Elba, dude is a badass actor? Are you limpdicks really that butthurt that a black guy is cast in a movie based on a book where the character was white? It has no bearing on the plot whatsoever, it literally doesn't matter what color the dudes skin is. The guy that wrote the fucking story had a hand in the casting for fucks sake.

It's one of the classic GD cliche butthurt topics, second maybe only to ranting about chain restaurants.

< CoC6 violation removed.  Warning issued. -- BB >

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#2]
As suggested earlier, Anson Mount would be good

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If they do a movie that includes the Kingdom of Gilead, will Roland be the only black kid there for some reason or will Gilead somehow be an African nation?  It makes no sense dude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whats wrong with Idris Elba, dude is a badass actor? Are you limpdicks really that butthurt that a black guy is cast in a movie based on a book where the character was white? It has no bearing on the plot whatsoever, it literally doesn't matter what color the dudes skin is. The guy that wrote the fucking story had a hand in the casting for fucks sake.

If they do a movie that includes the Kingdom of Gilead, will Roland be the only black kid there for some reason or will Gilead somehow be an African nation?  It makes no sense dude.

Duh! The kingdom will be in Africa.
I will not watch this movie. It will ruin the books for me, which I enjoy reading every couple of years.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

Would need contacts.

Or is that racist to say?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes I know they can change things for the movie.  Hopefully Susanna is played by Weird Al.  He'd play a really good Susanna.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do know they can change things for movies. They dont just read the book as a script. I imagine they will change many things, just like every other "based on a novel by xxxx" movie ever made.

Yes I know they can change things for the movie.  Hopefully Susanna is played by Weird Al.  He'd play a really good Susanna.

No, no, no! Bruce Jenner! Bruce Jenner!
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Because it changed the story, there are sub plots in the book about one character who hates white people, and she instantly hates Roland because he is WHITE! I fear this is going to be like the majority of film adaptations of King's books and SUCK.

Too often now characters races are changed from classic stories just for the sake of diversity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because it changed the story, there are sub plots in the book about one character who hates white people, and she instantly hates Roland because he is WHITE! I fear this is going to be like the majority of film adaptations of King's books and SUCK.

Too often now characters races are changed from classic stories just for the sake of diversity.

Well, of course, Susannah will be white.  We can't have a black racist.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think she should be asian. Would totally fit her story, and if you disagree you're a fucking racist.

Asian Susannah FTW.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#8]
You guys are really missing the big problem here.  Forest for the trees kind of thing.

It has nothing to do with Idris Elba.  The problem is much worse.

It's Matthew McConaughey's retard drawl, flat affect scarecrow "acting".
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#9]
If he has forgotten the face of his father, it all makes sense now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fucking BOOOOOOOOO.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If he has forgotten the face of his father, it all makes sense now.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Most of those movies (in which whites play originally non-white roles) tend to be bad anyways - or average at best. Generally people don't talk much about those kind of films or their casting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
White actors play distinctly/specifically described minority characters all the time.  But you make one stupid Stephen King character from a crappy series a black man and GD loses it's mind.  

Most of those movies (in which whites play originally non-white roles) tend to be bad anyways - or average at best. Generally people don't talk much about those kind of films or their casting.

Unlike the gem this thing is sure to be?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Sure is a lot of hype for the remaking of a Shooter Jennings Video......

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not prevalent anymore. Sure, John Wayne played Gengis Kahn, but when was the last time this happened?

(Not counting the upcoming Michael Jackson movie where he's played by a white guy. Because we all know it really should be a white woman playing Michael Jackson )
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
White actors play distinctly/specifically described minority characters all the time.  But you make one stupid Stephen King character from a crappy series a black man and GD loses it's mind.  

Not prevalent anymore. Sure, John Wayne played Gengis Kahn, but when was the last time this happened?

(Not counting the upcoming Michael Jackson movie where he's played by a white guy. Because we all know it really should be a white woman playing Michael Jackson )

Sure they do.  Off the top of my head...

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://hellogiggles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/17/Johnny-Depp-as-Tonto-Lone-Ranger-624x438.jpg?123

http://celebrityfitnesstraining.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/jake-gyllenhaal-training.jpg

Depp is white? I thought he was half Asian or something.  Eta just googled, he's part Native American

As for the other one, hate to break it to you Arabs are considered Caucaians for racial reporting purposes. As are Persians. So what's the problem?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The author, who raves about Elba’s recent work in the child-soldier drama Beasts of No Nation, says he hopes fans of the books have no problem accepting a man of color as Roland. “For me the character is still the character. It’s almost a Sergio Leone character, like ‘the man with no name,’” King says. “He can be white or black, it makes no difference to me. I think it opens all kind of exciting possibilities for the backstory.”
View Quote
Given Stephen King's treatment of the Susannah Dean character at the end of the series, I had absolutely zero surprise when the actor cast as Roland was black. King's white guilt runneth over.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
As long as that black character has faded blue eyes as described in the book, I have no problem with it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Depp is white? I thought he was half Asian or something.  Eta just googled, he's part Native American

As for the other one, hate to break it to you Arabs are considered Caucaians for racial reporting purposes. As are Persians. So what's the problem?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://hellogiggles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/17/Johnny-Depp-as-Tonto-Lone-Ranger-624x438.jpg?123

http://celebrityfitnesstraining.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/jake-gyllenhaal-training.jpg

Depp is "part Native American" like Elizabeth Warren is.  
"I think like, my great grandma was part native, or something, maybe..."
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you got nothing, is what you're saying?

Thought so.

Eta, and oh yeah, I love how the anti racist vigorously enforced racial purity to make a point. Funny that.  It's almost a template or something
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'd watch Elba as Bond.  
View Quote
I feel like you must be a liberal?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Diversity will be jammed down your throat whether you like it or not.

View Quote

well in movies this is a dangerous thing.  Fantastic Four *TANKED* when it was released. Nobody I knew saw it.  I asked several of my engineers why they wouldn't go.

"Blaze isn't a black guy".  was the only response I got.  None of them are racist, one of them is married to a black girl, but it's that constant push to force diversity that irritated them.

I'm not sure if that'll happen here, but it's a risk.  I love Idris Elba's work,  he's a really good actor, so I'll see it, but sometimes in movies,  the "force diversity" strategy can  backfire, cause unlike government or hiring, consumers can vote with their wallets. like Fantastic Four.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You guys are really missing the big problem here.  Forest for the trees kind of thing.

View Quote

Exactly.  Elba will be fine as Roland.  Matthew McGreasyhead will be a horrible Man in Black.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Exactly.  Elba will be fine as Roland.  Matthew McGreasyhead will be a horrible Man in Black.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You didn't know Flagg drove a Lincoln?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Elba + MM == awesomesauce!
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#25]
It was all downhill once they had a white guy play the lead in Starship Troopers.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thought so.

Eta, and oh yeah, I love how the anti racist vigorously enforced racial purity to make a point. Funny that.  It's almost a template or something
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thought so.

Got nothin'?  I just pointed out one completely bunk comparison you made (Depp), and frankly, your other part of that is too retarded reply to.

And who's anti-racist?  I'm as racist as they come.  I'm anti-butthurt, anti "poutrage", which is all this topic is.  I'm the guy here saying "this is too stupid to get butthurt about" and you're the guy saying Elba doesn't meet the racial standards for the part.  He's not "pure" enough for you.

"It's almost a template or something" Riiiight.    You should take that next step and accused me of being Saul Alinsky.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

It was all downhill once they had a white guy play the lead in Starship Troopers.

View Quote
Argentines are white of Hispanic ethnicity

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Juan Rico is Filipino.

Hell, they replaced a dozen various characters with white people.

They also replaced a good book with a shitty script
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

“[The movie] starts in media res, in the middle of the story instead of at the beginning, which may upset some of the fans a little bit, but they’ll get behind it, because it is the story,” King says"

]
View Quote

Sounds a LOT like Spielberg. So full of himself he doesn't care if fans notice a stupid mistake.

Peter Benchley told Spielberg shooting a scuba tank wouldn't blow a shark up. Spielberg said something like "I've had them eating out of my palm for two hours, they won't care about 5 seconds".

"Fans won't care, because it's the story"? Fuck that. I MIGHT rent it once it hits redbox, that's about it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There are only two actors I know of that would play a good Roland.  Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro.
View Quote

Josh Brolin would be AWESOME as roland. The Gunslinger and Wastelands were my all time favorite of the series
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't go full retard.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's true, the one black character in the group has an entire story arc about it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Got nothin'?  I just pointed out one completely bunk comparison you made (Depp), and frankly, your other part of that is too retarded reply to.

And who's anti-racist?  I'm as racist as they come.  I'm anti-butthurt, anti "poutrage", which is all this topic is.  I'm the guy here saying "this is too stupid to get butthurt about" and you're the guy saying Elba doesn't meet the racial standards for the part.  He's not "pure" enough for you.

"It's almost a template or something" Riiiight.    You should take that next step and accused me of being Saul Alinsky.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thought so.

It isn't "completely bunk" just because you say it is.

Just like you're probably not a retard, just because I think you are.

See, you made a gratuitous assertion.  At least my point is supported by a google search.

So, I don't need to resort to a gratuitous denial, because my assertion is supported by fact, and yours is supported by nothing other than "not uh".

Which is retarded.

Which brings me back to my second sentence.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Sorry, as much as I like Idris Elba as an actor having him play Roland is horrible.

I also don't believe they can do the story justice in a single movie, a trilogy would even be pushing it. The Dark Tower series was one of my favorite series of all time, the ending was pretty retarded though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Josh Brolin would be AWESOME as roland. The Gunslinger and Wastelands were my all time favorite of the series
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are only two actors I know of that would play a good Roland.  Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro.

Timothy Olyphant would be pretty good too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

What I pictured....maybe older.

http://the-wanderling.com/l_amour02.jpg
View Quote

James Remar is closest for me.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#37]
King even said that he envisioned Clint Eastwood when he created Roland.  That would be the exact type character/actor I pictured when reading the series.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 1:46:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Matthew Mcconaughey fled through the desert, and the black gunslinger followed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 1:58:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Brolin would be good. Del Toro sometimes is amazing, but sometimes I want to punch him in the throat, dunno why.

How about Sullivan Stapleton or Timothy Oliphant?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brolin would be good. Del Toro sometimes is amazing, but sometimes I want to punch him in the throat, dunno why.

How about Sullivan Stapleton or Timothy Oliphant?

Timothy Oliphant is a terrible actor.

Whenever I watch Timothy Oliphant play somebody, the whole time I'm painfully aware I'm watching Timothy Oliphant play somebody. I can never buy his characters 100%.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 2:12:04 AM EDT
[#40]

How about:

Roland Deschain played by Ellen Degeneres,

Edward Dean played by Tracy Morgan,

Susannah Dean played by Sarah Silverman,

The Man in Black played by, who else, Jack Black!

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 2:12:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you read the books?

If so, you remember the part when Roland tries to get Suzannah to come with him?

If not a woman who fucking HATES white people has a tall white guy who is, for all intents and purposes, the fucking Marlboro Man, try to get her to go to another world.

To change that changes the story pretty irredeemably.

There was a pretty late subtext about racism throughout those books.

Granted, he is a great actor, but to change something as small as that shits SJW wackiness and changes it into another story.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 2:16:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

You've obviously never read the books.  A HUGE FUCKING PART OF THE PLOT IS THAT THE GUNSLINGER IS A WHITE GUY WHO THE BLACK WOMAN HATES.

It's like an entire 900 page book about just that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 2:26:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Damn it, they're going to turn it into Blazing Saddles

I saw it as a season of TV per 2 books.

It's going to take a dedicated actor for the Lobstrosity scene losing the fingers.

Hell, Daniel Craig could pull it off.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 2:41:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It's going to take a dedicated actor for the Lobstrosity scene losing the fingers.

View Quote

He's a little short maybe, but he's got the eyes.

Complaining about casting a black guy as Roland isn't racist, not in the slightest.  Major, as in multiple books, dealt with the fact that Roland was white.  If you make Roland black, you have to make Eddie black, Jake black, and Susannah into a white woman that hates black people.

Essentially, you need to make nearly every character into the book black, except Susannah.  Nothing else would even make sense.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 2:45:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Idris Elba?

No objection here. The guy is a great actor.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 2:53:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Complaining about casting a black guy as Roland isn't racist, not in the slightest.  Major, as in multiple books, dealt with the fact that Roland was white.  If you make Roland black, you have to make Eddie black, Jake black, and Susannah into a white woman that hates black people.

Essentially, you need to make nearly every character into the book black, except Susannah.  Nothing else would even make sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was picturing Whoopi as a double amputee and giggling my ass off.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 2:55:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Did you read the books?

If so, you remember the part when Roland tries to get Suzannah to come with him?

If not a woman who fucking HATES white people has a tall white guy who is, for all intents and purposes, the fucking Marlboro Man, try to get her to go to another world.

Granted, he is a great actor, but to change something as small as that shits SJW wackiness and changes it into another story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you read the books?

I am suprised that people here are assuming that King's movie will be anything at all like his book.

Doesn't he have a pretty bad track record for butchering his own stories when it comes to video adaption?
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:04:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I am suprised that people here are assuming that King's movie will be anything at all like his book.

Doesn't he have a pretty bad track record for butchering his own stories when it comes to video adaption?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you read the books?

Not really.  Carrie, The Shining, The Stand were all very faithful to the novels. The Mist was except for the ending.

That said, fuck this PC shit.

And as far as Roland's revolver.. There is a mention in The Gunslinger of Roland swinging the cylinder open. On what was otherwise described as a single action.

King has never been remotely accurate in his depiction of firearms. Just throws random shit out there.

The Ron Howard project for the series a few years ago was much more interesting.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:05:22 AM EDT
[#49]
He is a good actor.

but It hink The dark tower series is shit.

the first book, before King edited it, was awesome... the rest suck ass.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:06:03 AM EDT
[#50]
I don't think the revolvers design has to be based on anything from our universe.

Actually I think I'd like it better if it was a bit different.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top