Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 42
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Dont think i showed off a pic of this one yet.

Turnbull Super Blackhawk 44mag
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:10:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/254890/20220411_211344_jpg-2346189.JPG

View Quote

Damn that's pretty.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:  I did not buy this, but I looked hard at it.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/928445086

How would you clean this one up?
View Quote

Rub Brownell's Blue on it?
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Damn that's pretty.
View Quote
Thanks, doesnt have the simple utilitarian charm of your Horvath Customs.

But she's a looker and a shooter.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:46:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've shot a Super Blackhawk with the square trigger guard.
I won't ever do it again.
I'm not recoil sensitive but that one just punishes my middle finger.  Round guard... good to go.  I've owned a 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk and shot it with HSM Bear loads no problem.  Square guard, 240 grain... pure pain.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:47:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn that's pretty.

I like to look at pretty things, but I can’t be trusted to own them, because eventually they will be covered with mud, blood and snow.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:52:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm not recoil sensitive but that one just punishes my middle finger.  Round guard... good to go.  I've owned a 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk and shot it with HSM Bear loads no problem.  Square guard, 240 grain... pure pain.
View Quote
I'm about to sell my SBH to put money toward a Bisley. I hate the plowhandle grip
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:53:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

If the load is hot enough, you'll still take a beating.  I have a Bisley frame with the round trigger guard on my .45.  Last year I had some 325 grain hardcasts, cooking along at 1350 fps.  I shot 50 of them one day, trying to decide if I wanted to use them for hunting.  That wasn't any fun at all.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When my wife gave it to me for a special occation I was initially conserned about just that, due to reviews of similar experiences to yours and the squared trigger guard.

But i have had it for a couple years now and put quite a few hoter loaded 44 mag rounds thu it with out issue. Must be a combination of grip and hand shape i guess. With my hands I wear xl sized gloves and Never bit me yet tho.

Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I like to look at pretty things, but I can't be trusted to own them, because eventually they will be covered with mud, blood and snow.  https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31657/99170E8F-E6F0-4278-8BDE-5B25DD218107_jpe-2346275.JPG
View Quote
Nice! Big boy for ony having 4 pts. Bet he dressed out well.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nice! Big boy for ony having 4 pts. Bet he dressed out well.
View Quote

Thanks!  He was my first deer with a handgun.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:26:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hah, now you got me daydreaming about next deer season again.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is there a good reference available to explain all these dashes to me?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just ordered a m65-5 for $450 from guns.com. It's going to be my new competition gun.
Can you tell me why you chose the -5 instead of the -6 for the same price?  is it the external firing pin?  Is that more desireable?

Is there a good reference available to explain all these dashes to me?

@eric10mm

You have to look it up on a per-model basis.

Some models like the 10, 17, or 27 have been around long enough that they pre-date S&W’s model number system that was introduced in 1957. Meanwhile, newer models like the 686 weren’t introduced until decades later, in this case, the ‘80s. So, if S&W made an engineering change like eliminating pinned barrels or recessed chambers or moving to the frame mounted firing pin, different models would receive those changes on different dash revisions.

There are big S&W books for all this, but some of it is easy to find on Wikipedia, and in other cases, a google search will give you S&W forum results.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:57:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm divided on this... I saw a massive 12 point after deer season a couple months ago.  I'd like to hunt with my handgun again this year, but if I saw that bruiser at 100 yards, I'd want to kill myself.  With my eyes and iron sights, 40 yards or so is about my limit.

I got this guy three years ago with my slug gun, and this new deer I saw looked bigger!

Attachment Attached File

Eh, who am I kidding... I don't deserve another monster so soon.

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 5:48:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm divided on this... I saw a massive 12 point after deer season a couple months ago.  I'd like to hunt with my handgun again this year, but if I saw that bruiser at 100 yards, I'd want to kill myself.  With my eyes and iron sights, 40 yards or so is about my limit.

I got this guy three years ago with my slug gun, and this new deer I saw looked bigger!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31657/8926-DA90-B3-D7-4-D5-D-9133-894672-F1376-2346297.JPG

Eh, who am I kidding... I don't deserve another monster so soon.

View Quote

That is a fuckin monster!

This was my 8 pt'r last year, not a monster by any means but real pretty

Attachment Attached File

And since this is a revolver thread and no free loadin

This is my SA collection

Turnbull super blackhawk

1980s Navy arms (pietta) "Reb" 44. I tend to run it on 20gr or so as to not get stretching.

And my newest, Uberti 1858 .44 and a Howell 45lc cylinder.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That is a fuckin monster!

This was my 8 pt'r last year, not a monster by any means but real pretty

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/254890/20211129_191331_jpg-2346446.JPG

And since this is a revolver thread and no free loadin

This is my SA collection

Turnbull super blackhawk

1980s Navy arms (pietta) "Reb" 44. I tend to run it on 20gr or so as to not get stretching.

And my newest, Uberti 1858 .44 and a Howell 45lc cylinder.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/254890/20220405_001401_jpg-2346447.JPG
View Quote

You’d have to keep that Turnbull SBH in a glass case if I was around.  I’d want to finger-f*ck it to death.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Watched Red Dawn while cleaning my new (to me) 629 4" last night, and was mildly shocked to note the large number of unfinished edges all over the innards of this otherwise fine revolver. They left flash on the lower right corner of the rebound slide, and a bunch of razor edges on the sideplate, all of which got dressed with an Arkansas stone I keep handy for deburring various things.

I'm not sure i like the changes they've made to the innards, either, even though I have zero complaints about how this thing shoots. It has am amazing trigger and is gratifyingly accurate, but for the price these revolvers are commanding, I kinda expect a little more care to be taken with the final finishing.

At any rate, I like it a lot, and there's nothing on it in the way of problem areas that i can't fix on my own.

Now, I just have to get my workbench set up so I can start rolling my own ammo for this thing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That's an option.  I got some of that.  Sandblast first though, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rub Brownell's Blue on it?
Depends. Cold blue can work for small  touch ups witout removing existing blueing. But in other cases you can see the difference pretty noticeably under the new bluing.

For a gun in the shape you posted i would strip it and try to polish out some of the scratches before rebluing if it were me.

I would also maybe look into rust bluing over cold bluing aslong as your stripping the whole thing. Supposed to be far more durable than regular cold blue.

Just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You'd have to keep that Turnbull SBH in a glass case if I was around.  I'd want to finger-f*ck it to death.  
View Quote
Yeah. Lol.

Right now i am trying to make a nice slim jim holster for it out of the deer hide of my 8 pt'r.

Prolly fuck it all up but im tryin.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah. Lol.

Right now i am trying to make a nice slim jim holster for it out of the deer hide of my 8 pt'r.

Prolly fuck it all up but im tryin.
View Quote

Is deer hide thick enough?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Is deer hide thick enough?
View Quote
I'll quadruple it up. Leather fabric adhesive in between layers and stitched edges.

Should also allow for decorative stud work on the outer layers without the back of the studs being exposed to the gun on the inside.

I do have 2 doe hides from the year prior to last, in addition to last years 8 pt'r. All rolled up and waiting. So plenty to spare.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Rub Brownell's Blue on it?

I wouldn't bother.  I picked up a rusty 1917 at a show, rubbed off the surface rust, and rubbed Brownell's Blue on it.  It looked great, and when my FIL decided he didn't want it, it sold promptly.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm about to sell my SBH to put money toward a Bisley. I hate the plowhandle grip
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To my understanding Ruger single action grip frames are swappable with some fitting; you could get a SBH Bisley grip frame and install it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 11:43:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just change the grip frame.

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004350467

Stainless Bisley grip frames in stock at Midway.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#27]
^ learn something new every day
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My custom gun started out with standard Blackhawk grips.  A couple things to note:
- If you buy a Bisley grip frame, it will take a decent amount of gunsmith fitting and “clean-up”.  
- The Bisley grips aren’t magical.  They still have your middle finger knuckle behind the trigger guard.  “Normal” magnum loads aren’t bad.  Really hot, heavy bullet loads will still give you a pounding.   At least with my hands.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the trigger, and the hammer, and a few other internal parts, if I remember correctly...
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

And the trigger, and the hammer, and a few other internal parts, if I remember correctly...
View Quote

You’ll need all of that stuff.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Doing drills with 147gr hsts @ 1200fps
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Got the new 65-5 in today I honestly don't know if it's been shot since the factory.  I think it's been dry fired by seeing the turn line but there's no powder fouling at all and the face of the cylinder doesn't  look to have been rubbed on to remove fouling.

has anyone bought the badger combat grips by chance? I have a set of hogue cocobolo on order from Amazon but are a month out and the badgers aren't a ton more so my thought is maybe splurge a bit.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Got the new 65-5 in today I honestly don't know if it's been shot since the factory.  I think it's been dry fired by seeing the turn line but there's no powder fouling at all and the face of the cylinder doesn't  look to have been rubbed on to remove fouling.

has anyone bought the badger combat grips by chance? I have a set of hogue cocobolo on order from Amazon but are a month out and the badgers aren't a ton more so my thought is maybe splurge a bit.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/144765/445ED5E1-60C9-4D60-BA9B-5E834C1483A9_jpe-2348085.JPG
View Quote
I've tried VZs and Altamonts on my 65-3, the VZs were horrible and the Altamonts, while a lot better, still weren't good.  The Pachmayrs fit and feel better than both of the higher end grips I've tried.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/144765/445ED5E1-60C9-4D60-BA9B-5E834C1483A9_jpe-2348085.JPG
View Quote

Man that's a beauty.  Congrats again!
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Man that's a beauty.  Congrats again!
View Quote
Thanks I think this is gonna be a good one. Same price as a new model 66 2 3/4" but I've wanted a fixed sight 3" for a long time.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:40:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBzjRv58G-I
Doing drills with 147gr hsts @ 1200fps
View Quote

I had a question until I saw this at the end of that video. I wonder how they would do out of a rifle.

147gr HST from a .357 magnum
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Took the 629 out for the first time since getting the new sights on it.  God, I love this gun.  The .44 Specials make the plates disappear.  Then shot it in IDPA later.  It's been a few years since I shot IDPA with a revolver, so I really have to work on my moonclip reload game, but it was so much fun.

Yeah, I know, crappy video.  It's not easy to shoot video of yourself, shooting one-handed.

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Took the 629 out for the first time since getting the new sights on it.  God, I love this gun.  The .44 Specials make the plates disappear.  Then shot it in IDPA later.  It's been a few years since I shot IDPA with a revolver, so I really have to work on my moonclip reload game, but it was so much fun.

Yeah, I know, crappy video.  It's not easy to shoot video of yourself, shooting one-handed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnh13Lwnjkk
View Quote

I like it
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 11:53:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I like it
View Quote

Seriously... what can't you do with a 4" 629?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#40]
A brace of 617s

Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Picked up these yesterday.

28 no dash and 686-2

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Seriously... what can't you do with a 4" 629?
View Quote

I'm waiting on a new DeSantis Speed Scabbard for my 4" 629. Can't wait to do some drills with it and get my revolver reloads back to where they need to be.

This thing has the sweetest trigger of any handgun I've ever picked up, including my favorite 2.5" Model 19, which is a sweetheart of a gun.

I honestly didn't know Smith & Wesson was putting triggers like this on their revolvers anymore, but I sure as hell like it.

If you just have to have one gun for everything life throws at you, a 629 is hard to top.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I bought my first centerfire revolver today, is this a good one to start out with?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/348465/34D2A32A-5D75-4734-93DE-5425D1176766_jpe-2309961.JPG
View Quote

I dunno, man!  It seems like it might be kinda sketchy!  You should send it over to me for a weekend of testing and evaluation...  
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Kirkpatrick leather
As loose as a $6 whore just like you all warned me

It looks fine though
S&W Pre-10 4”

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm waiting on a new DeSantis Speed Scabbard for my 4" 629. Can't wait to do some drills with it and get my revolver reloads back to where they need to be.

This thing has the sweetest trigger of any handgun I've ever picked up, including my favorite 2.5" Model 19, which is a sweetheart of a gun.

I honestly didn't know Smith & Wesson was putting triggers like this on their revolvers anymore, but I sure as hell like it.

If you just have to have one gun for everything life throws at you, a 629 is hard to top.
View Quote

I'm still using the Bladetech I bought for my 625, twenty years ago.  It isn't pretty, but it works.

The trigger on this one is very nice too.  It has had some work though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#48]
I need a Ruger Bisley

Just started watching Yellowstone and this doesn’t feel right

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
For anyone with one of the newer Heritage "Tactical" threaded barrel models, I have a question. Does the scope rail come off leaving a fixed sight in place?

I want the threaded barrel, but I don't want the scope rail.
View Quote

I’ll look in the morning
I seem to recall the rail having a built in rear sight
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#50]

That looks very nice.

Don't worry about how loose the holster is.  What's the worst that could happen?  Your gun could fall out someplace and you not realize it?

No problem!

Look at how old school cops used to carry their shit!

Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top