BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ones with V devices maybe. Officers give each other awards to each other cuz they love to jerk each other off. I’ve seen plenty of officers with a whole lotta fruit salad, bronze and silver stars included, but not one V device.
View Quote

The Silver Star Medal does not have a V device because the medal itself is a valor award, and about 150,000 have been awarded since 1942.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I remember seeing a few ARCOM’s with a V device a 100 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The Silver Star Medal does not have a V device because the medal itself is a valor award, and about 150,000 have been awarded since 1942.
View Quote

Yep, and very few in the conventional forces in GWOT.

The modern military has a schizophrenic awards model where they give out petty awards like crazy but won’t award valor at all, with the exception of a couple of communities.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The modern military has a schizophrenic awards model where they give out petty awards like crazy but won’t award valor at all, with the exception of a couple of communities.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people never had the pleasure of writing an award for someone and having it kicked back with an Excel matrix stating that E4s don't get real medals.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I always thought it was horseshit we didn’t get a star above the CIB if you went to Iraq and Afghanistan and fucked shit up in both places…two vastly different theaters of operation….no, the umbrella of the GWOT covers it.

Gay.
View Quote

A WW2 Infantryman who spent time in both the ETO and PTO only earned one CIB. In this former Grunt's mind, there's no difference between that and deploying to both Iraq and Afghanistan.

The horseshit to me is the fact that Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, Desert Storm, and Somalia are all lumped in together. Talk about completely different theaters of operation. At least OEF, OIF, and OIR could be linked by their shared Muslim faith and the presence of Islamic fanatics treating it as a holy war. There's no such shared similarity between Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, Desert Storm, and Somalia.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A WW2 Infantryman who spent time in both the ETO and PTO only earned one CIB. In this former Grunt's mind, there's no difference between that and deploying to both Iraq and Afghanistan.

The horseshit to me is the fact that Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, Desert Storm, and Somalia are all lumped in together. Talk about completely different theaters of operation. At least OEF, OIF, and OIR could be linked by their shared Muslim faith and the presence of Islamic fanatics treating it as a holy war. There's no such shared similarity between Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, Desert Storm, and Somalia.
View Quote

That’s the kiwi era and post kiwi era CIBs.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Most people never had the pleasure of writing an award for someone and having it kicked back with an Excel matrix stating that E4s don't get real medals.
View Quote

You're right, because I don't fail.

As a platoon sergeant on two combat deployments (Afghanistan and Syria) I wrote and got approved Bronze Stars for every member of my platoon, including several E4's.  They also had more than enough qualitative data to earn them twice over.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As a platoon sergeant on two combat deployments (Afghanistan and Syria) I wrote and got approved Bronze Stars for every member of my platoon, including several E4's.  They also had more than enough qualitative data to earn them twice over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget to ask for your discount.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a USCG Arctic Service Medal on my first DD214, took forever to get off my records.  Was mailed a MSM when I finally punched out of the ARNG as a SSG.  The only thing I had on my uniform that I cared much about was my master aircrew badge and my 1st combat patch. Probably got the MSM for being such a contrary SOB.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had a USCG Arctic Service Medal on my first DD214, took forever to get off my records.  Was mailed a MSM when I finally punched out of the ARNG as a SSG.  The only thing I had on my uniform that I cared much about was my master aircrew badge and my 1st combat patch. Probably got the MSM for being such a contrary SOB.
View Quote

I always thought arctic service medal was cool {pun intended}

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

My former E4's do it at the DMV all the time.  You should've done better.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry I don't welfare.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sorry I don't welfare.
View Quote

Or take care of your troops apparently.  I prefer that mine pay less to the government in taxes, as well as being commensurately recognized for their accomplishments.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Or take care of your troops apparently.  I prefer that mine pay less to the government in taxes, as well as being commensurately recognized for their accomplishments.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry I don't welfare.

Sick burn fella.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sick burn fella.
View Quote

I'll wipe my tears from this exchange with the hundos recovered from the state bureaucracy.  The same money you would gladly accept if you were good enough to get it.

But you weren't and are now trying to replace your failure with taking the high road.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'll wipe my tears from this exchange with the hundos recovered from the state bureaucracy.  The same money you would gladly accept if you were good enough to get it.

But you weren't and are now trying to replace your failure with taking the high road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sick burn fella.

Keep going.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Bro, do you even 2nd award NDSM bro?

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I’m not sure you’re qualified to discuss this one if you are looking for Valor devices on Silver Stars.
View Quote

I'm glad you said it first, because I was right behind you.

Can't speak for the Army, but the AF has (had) very general guidelines for the level of decoration, tying it to the level of responsibility at that rank. It wasn't absolute by any means, I was at the BS ceremony at JBLM where a TSgt in Aerial Port was decorated for finding a false wall in a conex that concealed some AKs a couple guys were trying to smuggle home. Saw another TSgt get a BS with Valor for being dropped, with crew, in enemy held territory to repair and fly out a Talon II with bad guys closing on the remote airfield.

Again, maybe a service culture thing, but I held positions at unit, squadron, group and wing level, and one deployment that every decoration flowed through. I saw an occasional rare BS go an E-8/E-9, and a little more commonly to O-5s, but in 25 years I never saw a silver star. Not one. MSMs were awarded to E-7s who legitimately earned them, and again at retirement, and some LtCols and almost all Cols got the Legion of Merit at their retirement. Air Medals with "V" devices started popping up during GWOT, saw a lot of those at AFSOC. Getting any decoration through was a PITA, the standards were high and I can honestly say I never saw a rubber-stamp. Ever.

At that time the BS and the MSM were the exact same award. BS for deployment, MSM for TDY or home station. A BS with Valor device has a completely different set of criteria. My dad has two, one from Korea and one from Vietnam. The citations are serious business.

I don't laugh at anybody who's proud of what they earned, even the participation medals. Look at the service percentages for the country as a whole...they were there, and served honorably. More power to 'em.

Incidentally, I can't remember where I saw the guidance, but originally the little cloisonné replica of the medal ribbon in the box used to be intended for wear on a civilian suit or (female) blouse. It went in the lapel button position, and you were supposed to wear only one, the highest decoration awarded. That wasn't reg, I think it was just an informal wear standard. I have a DMSM on one of my the suit jackets.

Yep, looked it up...it's a free-for-all now. I guess retirees can wear miniature or full-sized medals on tuxedos, or pretty much anywhere else you want to. Civilian wear guide: medals on non-uniform articles
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Cringe.... Bet he askes to be thanked for his service.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Cool kids club sport this

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#21]
NDSM also aligns with eligibility to join the American Legion.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Went looking...here's the story. Warrior Brotherhood MC

Attachment Attached File

From their webpage.

"The top rocker identifies us as a member of the Warrior Class. It signifies our adherence to the Warrior Code of Loyalty, Courage, Veracity, Compassion and Honor as important above all else.

As the centerpiece of our colors, we have adopted the shape from the Army Air Corps decision in 1943 to change to this design to be more recognizable from a distance.

Additionally, various campaign ribbons and service awards have been added on the “bar” as conflicts evolved to honor the memory of those lost while retaining our shared heritage in it’s shape.  We wear it not in recognition of what we have done but in memory of those we served with and lost. We wear the image of our Ribbons earned, flanked on top by the Country of Operation of Combat and on the bottom by our Branch of Service.

The bottom rocker identifies the Brotherhood we share with each other and with our Brothers in Arms who continue to serve today. That serves as the foundation for the Warrior Brotherhood MC.

The blue lettering signifies Loyalty, Compassion, and Honor. The background color harkens to the Combat uniform of the Warrior. The red field of the MC cube signifies Courage, Veracity and the sacrifices of combat and service."
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I’ve heard about units awarding every PSG and PL or above the BSM on deployment, but I’ve never seen that personally. My last deployment they gave Bronze Stars to less than a third of the platoon level leadership (PSG/PL) and very few BN staff weenies, and I think that was a reaction to the notion that too many awards are given out.

However…

Did you know that the Bronze Star was designed as the ground equivalent to the Air Medal and there were divisions in the ETO in WWII that awarded them to every single troop in ground combat MOSs in units that fought the enemy?

I can understand the argument that the services give out too many Achievement and Commendation Medals, but I think if you look at the criteria of past wars, the conventional forces in GWOT gave out too few valor awards. There are lots of guys in infantry and cav units, and even MPs and transportation guys, and others, who in past conflicts would’ve gotten a BSM w/valor or Silver Star but instead got nothing because of some misplaced desire to defend the prestige of medal or maybe jealousy by guys in the TOC who weren’t out directly fighting in a staff sergeant’s war.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
NDSM also aligns with eligibility to join the American Legion.

View Quote

Seems like the Legion now is not holding that bar.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There are many people walking about with a 3rd award of the NDSM.
View Quote
lol. No there aren't. Pretty narrow window for a 28+ year career.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Probably not smart for me to admit here but I was such a lazy ass that only my dress blues had devices on them ribbons. My class A just had the generic AAFES .60 cents ribbons - no ultra thins

All I cared about was awards for valor, so since I didn’t receive any awards for valor I kept my uniforms in good fit and appearance but didnt put much effort into the ribbons after the dress blues got axed.

Attachment Attached File

By the time I received the ASU I pissed off my command by doing nothing at all, I never wore that fucker once and during an inspection got chewed out for failing to do so. Being reserves, I gambled we wouldn’t wear them before my ETS or transfer to my next unit and to my surprise they did a last minute training schedule change due to transportation issues to Camp Roberts and did a uniform inspection in April long before the typical month before Christmas. I made up excuses about saving up for November to prepare for the upcoming December

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Dang, I just went into my closet and had a look at my shadow box. Never had any idea it was there, or why...just sent my RIP off to UltraThin.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I’ve heard about units awarding every PSG and PL or above the BSM on deployment, but I’ve never seen that personally. My last deployment they gave Bronze Stars to less than a third of the platoon level leadership (PSG/PL) and very few BN staff weenies, and I think that was a reaction to the notion that too many awards are given out.

However…

Did you know that the Bronze Star was designed as the ground equivalent to the Air Medal and there were divisions in the ETO in WWII that awarded them to every single troop in ground combat MOSs in units that fought the enemy?

I can understand the argument that the services give out too many Achievement and Commendation Medals, but I think if you look at the criteria of past wars, the conventional forces in GWOT gave out too few valor awards. There are lots of guys in infantry and cav units, and even MPs and transportation guys, and others, who in past conflicts would’ve gotten a BSM w/valor or Silver Star but instead got nothing because of some misplaced desire to defend the prestige of medal or maybe jealousy by guys in the TOC who weren’t out directly fighting in a staff sergeant’s war.
View Quote

Most people that say they are given our like candy never had to write one.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Most people that say they are given our like candy never had to write one.
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you are getting an MSM in a combat zone you are about as far from the pointy end as possible.
View Quote
MSM is not a combat zone award. When awarded in. Combat zone, they can be appealed to HRC and be changed to a Bronze Star.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
MSM is not a combat zone award. When awarded in. Combat zone, they can be appealed to HRC and be changed to a Bronze Star.

View Quote

Yep, that's what I was getting at my my follow up.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's not a jacket you get at the store.  That's a motorcycle club.  Their center patch is a ribbon they've earned, according to their website.   That guy who rode past you is a hero.  He earned the NDSM.
View Quote

@Martlet

On a side note thanks for looking up the club, never occurred to me to try, I’m short bus slow sometimes

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Went looking...here's the story. Warrior Brotherhood MC

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/457055/warrior-brotherhood_jpg-3161546.JPG

From their webpage.

"The top rocker identifies us as a member of the Warrior Class. It signifies our adherence to the Warrior Code of Loyalty, Courage, Veracity, Compassion and Honor as important above all else.

As the centerpiece of our colors, we have adopted the shape from the Army Air Corps decision in 1943 to change to this design to be more recognizable from a distance.

Additionally, various campaign ribbons and service awards have been added on the “bar” as conflicts evolved to honor the memory of those lost while retaining our shared heritage in it’s shape.  We wear it not in recognition of what we have done but in memory of those we served with and lost. We wear the image of our Ribbons earned, flanked on top by the Country of Operation of Combat and on the bottom by our Branch of Service.

The bottom rocker identifies the Brotherhood we share with each other and with our Brothers in Arms who continue to serve today. That serves as the foundation for the Warrior Brotherhood MC.

The blue lettering signifies Loyalty, Compassion, and Honor. The background color harkens to the Combat uniform of the Warrior. The red field of the MC cube signifies Courage, Veracity and the sacrifices of combat and service."
View Quote

Thanks for researching and posting the club info
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I’m not sure you’re qualified to discuss this one if you are looking for Valor devices on Silver Stars.
View Quote

I apologize for my mistake. I based this off the fact that my company commander was awarded one when we demobilized from Iraq. I know we all questioned it, because none of us saw anything done worthy of any valor award. My platoon sergeant assuaged us by saying it didn’t have a V device so it was just an admin type award.  It compared it to a Bronze Star (with or without V device). But it does show my point that officers tend to get awards that are not exactly worthy of merit.  I did not mean to disparage those soldiers who got  Silver Star deservedly.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#35]
NDSM, so nice I received it twice

About the only thing I "advertise" though out in the wild are the plates from the DMV for another award. Basically free and I can park in certain places. I don't wear the vet jackets and hats that you see everywhere. Just not my thing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I apologize for my mistake. I based this off the fact that my company commander was awarded one when we demobilized from Iraq. I know we all questioned it, because none of us saw anything done worthy of any valor award. My platoon sergeant assuaged us by saying it didn’t have a V device so it was just an admin type award.  It compared it to a Bronze Star (with or without V device). But it does show my point that officers tend to get awards that are not exactly worthy of merit.  I did not mean to disparage those soldiers who got  Silver Star deservedly.
View Quote

What was his name? There’s an index online. A Silver Star can only be awarded for a valor, although they used to abuse that more in the past.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What was his name? There’s an index online. A Silver Star can only be awarded for a valor, although they used to abuse that more in the past.
View Quote

Captain Thompson. But I can’t remember his first name.  It’s been twenty years.

All the platoon leaders got Bronze Stars.  A handful of ARCOMs got handed out to PLT sergeants and a couple squad leaders. If you were an E5 or below, no fruit salad. The CAB wasn’t a thing yet.  I got a sweet Driver badge with a W.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Hell yeah
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#39]
I received a MSM as a retirement award. I never would have dreamed to get an Auto Plate with one, but I did get excited about getting one from the WI DMV if it was cheaper. There retarded.
A. no lower cost, its actually $15 more a year to renew Military plates.
B. They list a Distinguished Service Medal not Meritorious.

Thanks WI....Grrrrrrrr.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I always thought it was horseshit we didn’t get a star above the CIB if you went to Iraq and Afghanistan and fucked shit up in both places…two vastly different theaters of operation….no, the umbrella of the GWOT covers it.

Gay.
View Quote

There was only one CIB per infantryman from 1961 to 1995 for the following operations:

1. Vietnam
2. Dominican Republic
3. DMZ Korea
4. El Salvador
5. Grenada
6. JSA Korea
7. Panama
8. Desert Storm
9. Somalia
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Captain Thompson. But I can’t remember his first name.  It’s been twenty years.

All the platoon leaders got Bronze Stars.  A handful of ARCOMs got handed out to PLT sergeants and a couple squad leaders. If you were an E5 or below, no fruit salad. The CAB wasn’t a thing yet.  I got a sweet Driver badge with a W.
View Quote

He’s not listed.Link

I’m sure that there are omissions from that list. What was the unit?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

There was only one CIB per infantryman from 1961 to 1995 for the following operations:

1. Vietnam
2. Dominican Republic
3. DMZ Korea
4. El Salvador
5. Grenada
6. JSA Korea
7. Panama
8. Desert Storm
9. Somalia
View Quote

I’m aware.

And that’s just as stupid.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

In the Corps, the CAR was just considered an "I shot back" thing.  One and done.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#44]
I will just say that John Kerry was awarded two purple hearts. I'll leave it at that.

People have been awarded lots of medals - usually the kind of top brass dimwits that FJB chooses for his "advisors".

The real hero's though usually received their medals posthumously.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I will just say that John Kerry was awarded two purple hearts. I'll leave it at that.

People have been awarded lots of medals - usually the kind of top brass dimwits that FJB chooses for his "advisors".

The real hero's though usually received their medals posthumously.
View Quote

You don't get awarded purple hearts, and you have to do literally nothing yourself to earn one.  It's an entitlement, not an award, due to the enemy wounding you.  It says nothing towards your character, bravery, or ethics.

Therefore I fail to see your point.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#46]
It's not any more lame than people collecting merit badges and website flair below their profiles and avatars.  

Could care less what people wear unless it is a hot woman in yoga pants.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

In the Corps, the CAR was just considered an "I shot back" thing.  One and done.
View Quote

Maybe I’m misremembering, but I think there are multiple award CARs, one per campaign area.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
National Defense Service Medal, I think.

If that’s the case, it is no longer issued.
View Quote

fire guard medal,,,,
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Gay.
View Quote

It’s crazy that Vietnam and Somalia are also the same CIB!
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Haha   That's got to be worn in jest.  Good one too.

When i was with 10th Mountain at Benning--before the Bde moved up to Drum--we had a Dining in with everyone in dress blues.  I was setting up my Blues and perhaps may have had a few drinks when i decided to take off my Honduran Jump wings and replace them with some Delta Wings my SIL (a flight attendant for Delta Airlines) had given me.  I had people coming up to me all night asking about my "Delta Wings" and I'd just tell them 'shhh, can't talk about it'   My 1SG was not amused and told me to never do that again.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top