Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Now I feel really stupid, I should have just suggested that we make NASCARs our daily drivers.
View Quote
And you call yourself a SME. For shame...
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Tantalum and Niobium are the future for barrel linings.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#5]
The steel/aluminum composites are interesting.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want really high temp material, we need to make barrels out of ceramics.

That'll do it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well, the stellite-lined small armed barrels are also chrome-plated, so yes.  Many exotic aerospace alloys are preferred due to their high-temperature creep properties - they don't suffer a continuous deformation under a constant stress value.  I am not of the opinion that they are really great materials for a firearms application.
View Quote
Not in they way you make it sound like.   Stellite liners are not chrome plated.

In order to save money, the M2 barrel has a partial stellite liner than runs from the case neck to a little over a foot down the bore.   The remainder of the barrel is regular steel which is chrome lined.    The short liner is both less expensive to manufacture and easier to assemble than a full length liner, and protects the highest wear area of the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You're a Liar.  No SME has said that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SME's response: "Use a cheap steal $5 dollar gas tube."
You're a Liar.  No SME has said that.
You're like the guys who say I should just set out traps for my mice instead of hunting them, taunting them, and gunning them down with an evil grin on my face and an airsoft, full auto, Krinkov in my greedy mitts.

You don't run off entertainment like this. It doesn't come along all that often.

Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well, the stellite-lined small armed barrels are also chrome-plated, so yes.  Many exotic aerospace alloys are preferred due to their high-temperature creep properties - they don't suffer a continuous deformation under a constant stress value.  I am not of the opinion that they are really great materials for a firearms application.
View Quote
The Stellite liner bore is not chromium plated,  only the steel bore of the tube . . . . .
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think stellite was in common use in .50 cal aircraft machine gun barrels during WWII.
View Quote
Yes first use was on high rate aircraft .50cals during WWII, then they were pushed down to all M2 barrels, and now M2A1 barrels.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not in they way you make it sound like.   Stellite liners are not chrome plated.

In order to save money, the M2 barrel has a partial stellite liner than runs from the case neck to a little over a foot down the bore.   The remainder of the barrel is regular steel which is chrome lined.    The short liner is both less expensive to manufacture and easier to assemble than a full length liner, and protects the highest wear area of the barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure that's true,  but I will admit that it had been a few years since I have had access to that information.  Is there not chrome flashing on the extreme rear of the barrel, indicating that the steel chamber had been plated?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm not sure that's true,  but I will admit that it had been a few years since I have had access to that information.  Is there not chrome flashing on the extreme rear of the barrel, indicating that the steel chamber had been plated?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can absolutely guarantee what is said above is true, and no there is no chrome flashing on the extreme rear of the barrel.  The rear of the barrel which includes the barrel threads and the chamber is a third separate piece of the barrel called the retainer that threads in and holds the liner in place in addition to the shrink fit.   These three pieces are all assembled after the steel portion of the bore is chrome plated.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I can absolutely guarantee what is said above is true, and no there is no chrome flashing on the extreme rear of the barrel.  The rear of the barrel which includes the barrel threads and the chamber is a third separate piece of the barrel called the retainer that threads in and holds the liner in place in addition to the shrink fit.   These three pieces are all assembled after the steel portion of the bore is chrome plated.
View Quote
I stand corrected.  I'm surprised that the chamber is not chrome plated.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think stellite was in common use in .50 cal aircraft machine gun barrels during WWII.
View Quote
Common, no.

Work started in 1942 to develop an erosion resistant barrel for heavy machine guns.  By October 1944, the designs for a Stellite liner for the .50 cal and .30 cal MGs were ready and production started soon afterwards.

Used, yes, common, hardly.

OH and for the OP, during this time, Hastelloy was examined and discarded as a suitable liner material for a variety of reasons.  So, you ain't the first one to think if this stuff....
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
(Says in gay lisp)..

"Little Forest, where are you Forest?"

You must have got the shi* kicked out of you in school with that name.

Little Forest, I'll make a deal with you, show us your degrees in engineering and mathematics on webcam skype, just to prove you're not a random garage builder.
View Quote
Come on kid. You gotta do better than that. I had high hopes.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Ridgerunner, all joking aside, I wanted to know your opinion on the U.S. Marines choosing the HK M27 for their rifle.  Do you think it was a good decision?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ridgerunner, all joking aside, I wanted to know your opinion on the U.S. Marines choosing the HK M27 for their rifle.  Do you think it was a good decision?
View Quote
It's a stupid decision.  What does that have to do with your stupid idea?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
SRSLY. If we're gonna go foreign might as well use something cool.

Sig AMT for the win.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
BTW....

What are your credentials?  You seem to make light of others accomplishments, but where do you come from, and what have you done?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

BTW....

What are your credentials?  You seem to make light of others accomplishments, but where do you come from, and what have you done?
View Quote
Again, I never once on this website claimed to be an engineer or gun builder because I'm not.  I simply started a thread that was based on hypotheticals and supposed self proclaimed engineers here got really offensive for some weird reason.

And it's amazing how supposed self proclaimed engineers can't figure out ways to improve on an AR 15 platform.  It's like the DI faithful who hate short stroke pistons even though almost every machine gun uses a short stroke piston to good effect like the SCAR 16.

This is a common theme here, as I posted about how real ceo's and engineers have posted here and a bunch of faceless "SME's" have attacked them...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/CherryBalmz-vs-SlideGlide/5-2105715/
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why is it a stupid decision?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#31]
On a side note, I am a fan of Larry Vickers and the HK program.  Also, Chris Bartocci at Small Arms Solutions on YouTube is awesome too...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn_AGhwovzeWrnqHFJpYWaw/featured

There are a lot of gun guys on YouTube who are great like...

IraqVeteran8888
MrGunsnGear
Mishaco
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has anyone on this thread ever built their own rifles from their own factory with their own materials?

Who are the engineers here?

Get on webcam or skype and show us your degrees Msc in engineering,  minors in mathematics etc.

We got a bunch of garage builders here with low IQ's.  lol

Omg this is great.....

@ziarifleman
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The U.S. military I guess thought that there was more upside and a higher ceiling of development with the short stroke piston than the DI.
View Quote
You mean non-standard DI (that's not a true DI) that gets crapped on by operators that don't understand the mechanics behind it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You mean non-standard DI (that's not a true DI) that gets crapped on by operators that don't understand the mechanics behind it.
View Quote
I'm not sure what you mean?  Are you implying that SEALS and Delta don't understand the mechanics of DI AR's ?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Uh, ya..

So, how are you going to rifle the tube? And ream the chamber? Ya a hastaloy/inconell barrel would be tits in an overbored cartridge. But how ya going to make it? Once all said and done your going to have a $2K+ barrel, that's before fitting and final install. Out of the realm of most shooters.

I've machined both materials in Question and both suck balls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@BURN
@Fat_McNasty
@badkarmaii
@40xb
@RictusGrin

Hey come look at this.
Uh, ya..

So, how are you going to rifle the tube? And ream the chamber? Ya a hastaloy/inconell barrel would be tits in an overbored cartridge. But how ya going to make it? Once all said and done your going to have a $2K+ barrel, that's before fitting and final install. Out of the realm of most shooters.

I've machined both materials in Question and both suck balls.
I made an inconell muzzle break from a piece of scrap...it sucked (the machining part that is)

but to be fair I even hate machining on titanium unless its on a very nice and powerful  CNC set up....
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
And what happens when your cheap steel gas tubes malfunctions during a home invasion or during your Walking Dead Zombie Apocalypse "STHF" paranoid scenario or when there's a Democrat president that you guys on here always think will happen that you prepare and buy guns for?

Members on here ask: "I'm looking for a gun for STHF and it needs to function to save my life and my family's life."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$64 carbine length gas tubes. This is why steel gas tubes are still a thing.

And those "reviews" seem a tad shilly....
And what happens when your cheap steel gas tubes malfunctions during a home invasion or during your Walking Dead Zombie Apocalypse "STHF" paranoid scenario or when there's a Democrat president that you guys on here always think will happen that you prepare and buy guns for?

Members on here ask: "I'm looking for a gun for STHF and it needs to function to save my life and my family's life."

Well the ones I use seem to hold up for thousands and thousands of rounds...In some cases I have had to replace barrels before gas tubes (gun get a new gas tube anyways because "why not" and not because it had failed)
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Mini Halberds.  Inconel coated mini halberds.  It's the future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Halberds are way too unwieldy for home defense. Shows what kind of SME you are.

I'll take my wakazashi and tanto any day for CQB.

I swear the posers around here are aggravating.
Mini Halberds.  Inconel coated mini halberds.  It's the future.
That's what I am calling my axe from here on out... "mini Halberd" got a nice ring to it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Actually, according to some "SME's" here, guns used at Battlefield Las Vegas see higher round counts than theater weapons.
View Quote
UUUMMM in some cases they do...

BLV has a gun that gets rented every day for a few hours and is shot the whole time...

Guy goes to Afghanistan and only shoots his rifle twice in theater for quals....
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If you want really high temp material, we need to make barrels out of ceramics.

That'll do it.
View Quote
Formed Iridium with nitrogen cooling

hold out pistol barrels out of osmium ...
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm a bit late for the serious replies but here goes.

My 'best barrel' material would be 300c maraging steel with a carbonitride surface treatment.
Very high strength but retains good toughness at Rc50. Relatively easy to machine and a simple heat treatment.
Only drawback is cost, a 20"x1" bar will run ~$400 or so.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well I do not...even post fix there is a problem with line of bore energy that takes place in the piston area of the standard bolt carrier and the hammer and anvil angled energy of the M27...Just putting a big ass champher on the BCG on it did not fix the problem.

Stoner also built some prototype rifle using a short stroke gas system.... then moved on to what he felt was a better design.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not sure what you mean? Are you implying that SEALS and Delta don't understand the mechanics of DI AR's ?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:35:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm not sure what you mean?  Are you implying that SEALS and Delta don't understand the mechanics of DI AR's ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I work with some special ops guys... and no just because they were/are special forces does not automatically make them "Firearm Experts"...
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Well I work with some special ops guys... and no just because they were/are special forces does not automatically make them "Firearm Experts"...
View Quote
And what is it that you do that requires you to work with some special ops guys?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Common, no.

Work started in 1942 to develop an erosion resistant barrel for heavy machine guns.  By October 1944, the designs for a Stellite liner for the .50 cal and .30 cal MGs were ready and production started soon afterwards.

OH and for the OP, during this time, Hastelloy was examined and discarded as a suitable liner material for a variety of reasons.  So, you ain't the first one to think if this stuff....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Common, no.

This source states that it was adopted for standard use in the Pacific Theater in 1944, on page 301:

https://books.google.com/books?id=h5xqVTVPO3QC&pg=PT308&lpg=PT308&dq=stellite+lined+machine+gun+barrels+1943&source=bl&ots=Y2TT8kEKu1&sig=ACfU3U0jhMYUaDgPtEtJp2GoOy2ykHRClw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwisnqSfjNnlAhVdCTQIHb5WD6cQ6AEwDnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=Stellite&f=false

I'm not sure how adopted as standard a year or so begore the war ended = not commonly used, but whatever.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Again, I never once on this website claimed to be an engineer or gun builder because I'm not.  I simply started a thread that was based on hypotheticals and supposed self proclaimed engineers here got really offensive for some weird reason.

And it's amazing how supposed self proclaimed engineers can't figure out ways to improve on an AR 15 platform.  It's like the DI faithful who hate short stroke pistons even though almost every machine gun uses a short stroke piston to good effect like the SCAR 16.

This is a common theme here, as I posted about how real ceo's and engineers have posted here and a bunch of faceless "SME's" have attacked them...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, I am sorry that the poor engineers and experienced people did not hail you as the most brilliant mind in the room on your entrance.  But, the reasons things are the way they are were explained to you and some very good advise was given to you on how you might best answer your own questions.

To wit:

First, write down the functions of a gun barrel. First a smooth bore, then a rifled bore.

Then, write down the characteristics a gun barrel must possess. Along side each characteristic write down the minimum acceptable performance, the "dream" maximum performance goal. After that, add the new characteristics you want to add, along with the performance goals.

After that, examine each performance metric and define how it can be met; that will establish a list of candidate materials, or processes, or materials plus processes. Include the cost of each candidate.

After making this huge matrix of information, strike out the impossible. Stack each metric against current common practice, then make an honest evaluation of the improvement over state of the art, and its cost.
Someone even offered a free book on weapons design.

And you seem to be enamored by the CB thread, but at least the CB guys could answer technical criticisms with something approaching logic, not just a link to the next "gee-whiz" material and dismissal of those that have experience in the very field you're asking about.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
And what is it that you do that requires you to work with some special ops guys?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why don't you work with special ops guys?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Why don't you work with special ops guys?
View Quote
Because I don't, why don't you?  But notice no one on here proves anything after they claim they do all these engineering and top secret spec ops work?  lol
Page / 8
Top Top