BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not entirely sure of the science behind it but it's effectively a "tactical nuke"

Much smaller blast radius and  much higher radiation.

Makes a good EMP if detonated on the horizon too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the deal with the '  neutron' (sp) bomb...have not heard that term in ages
Not entirely sure of the science behind it but it's effectively a "tactical nuke"

Much smaller blast radius and  much higher radiation.

Makes a good EMP if detonated on the horizon too.
All I know is that Hippies and Communists over here hated it.

Therefore it must be awesome

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Los Angeles is going to have to take one for the team.  Not that they are on my team.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like it's shaping up to potentially be the best 4th of July since 1776.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Coincidental that Xinping just happened to be visiting Putin, maybe there's a few chess games being played at the same time.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#5]
"Pentagon considers show of force against North Korea

Travis J. TrittenJul 4, 2017, 8:53 AM
The Pentagon has prepared options for a show of force against North Korea following its claimed test of a missile that could hit America, CBS News reported Tuesday.

The options do not, however, include the use of military force against the rogue regime, the network said."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/pentagon-considers-show-of-force-against-north-korea/article/2627735
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"Pentagon considers show of force against North Korea

Travis J. TrittenJul 4, 2017, 8:53 AM
The Pentagon has prepared options for a show of force against North Korea following its claimed test of a missile that could hit America, CBS News reported Tuesday.

The options do not, however, include the use of military force against the rogue regime, the network said."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/pentagon-considers-show-of-force-against-north-korea/article/2627735
View Quote
Translation: We won't do shit, but we might launch fireworks and let them watch. It is the 4th of July.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Same old same old?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#8]
For a objective, "real" analysis of this event, from one of the foremost experts in the world on Nork Missile capability, read here:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jul/04/are-north-koreas-missile-claims-true-and-what-do-they-signify
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Los Angeles is going to have to take one for the team.  Not that they are on my team.
https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7TKSvAFBMWUbU22c/giphy.gif
Let me make sure I understand you guys......you are advocating for a hostile foreign state to attack American soil and kill millions of United States citizens...so that it may justify a broader military response? Do I have that right? Just trying to clarify because I am slow some times...you think it would be an acceptable pawn to give up to win the long game. (And you are saying this on the 4th of July)
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#10]
With a 500 kg warhead, the KN-08 is now estimated at having a range of over 11,500 kilometers, compared to 9,500 km using Scud-technology engines in the first stage. That’s enough to reach New York City or Washington, DC from North Korea. Even the two-stage KN-14 can reach over 10,000 kilometers with a light warhead, enough to cover all of the US west coast.

Article from April 11, 2016
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For a objective, "real" analysis of this event, from one of the foremost experts in the world on Nork Missile capability, read here:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jul/04/are-north-koreas-missile-claims-true-and-what-do-they-signify
View Quote
For next level depth/details check out this article from April 2016. http://www.38north.org/2016/04/schilling041116/
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Take the next one down. Do SK or Japan not have defensive missile tech?  Or are they all just sitting ducks now?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Translation: We won't do shit, but we might launch fireworks and let them watch. It is the 4th of July.
View Quote
Trump administration wont broadcast exactly what we have planned.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Keep adding carrier groups until we run out?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Trump will respond with a sternly worded tweet.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He should.....

Launch a massive first strike, hold press conference and announce right as the warheads reach their targets "Kim, you're fired."
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:32:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Let me make sure I understand you guys......you are advocating for a hostile foreign state to attack American soil and kill millions of United States citizens...so that it may justify a broader military response? Do I have that right? Just trying to clarify because I am slow some times...you think it would be an acceptable pawn to give up to win the long game. (And you are saying this on the 4th of July)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There aren't millions of United States citizens in Los Angeles. 
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#19]
The artillery is also an issue. You arent going to stop seoul getting hammered without a bunch of simultaneous tactical nuke ground bursts all along the the NK firing lines in the mouintain cave complexes...with all the extreme fallout that would generate.

We need to know what the political dynamic would be if little kim had an accident. Through extremely poor leadership and foreign policy the United States has let NK advance this program to the point that they are becoming a worldwide threat rather than just a local one. The longer we wait to deal with the fat brat the worse it will be.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So liquid fueled missiles take a while to prepare for launch? They can't just erect the launcher and fire it off? I understand the liquid fueled type can't be stored fueled?  I doubt they even have a warhead miniaturized enough yet but I could be wrong. This will sure move the war time table up
View Quote
Depends on fuel. If its a hypergolic liquid, you could probably fuel & fire without a huge lead time. If it was RP1/LOX, it'd take some time to prep.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The artillery is also an issue. You arent going to stop seoul getting hammered without a bunch of simultaneous tactical nuke ground bursts all along the the NK firing lines in the mouintain cave complexes...with all the extreme fallout that would generate.

We need to know what the political dynamic would be if little kim had an accident. Through extremely poor leadership and foreign policy the United States has let NK advance this program to the point that they are becoming a worldwide threat rather than just a local one. The longer we wait to deal with the fat brat the worse it will be.
View Quote
Artillery isn't as much as its shaped up to be. North Korea has two choices on bombardment policy: Counter-value or counter-force. If they choose counter-value and go straight for hitting Seoul, then ROK counter-battery fire will decimate their artillery positions rather quickly. If they go counter-force, then Seoul mostly gets spared, but the DPRK batteries last longer until US/ROK assets can clean out all of the artillery positions. 

The real problem that the ROK will have would be whatever special forces are already (or would be at the outbreak of hostilities) in country, and ready to damage infrastructure to hamper war efforts. 
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#24]
That graphic.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd guess that collateral damage to civilian populations on both sides is what keeps us from doing something militarily.
Surgical strike to take Kim out is probably the best option.
Immediately contact the top generals after the strike and ask / tell them to stand down.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#26]
The real problem is political, not military. 
South Korea doesn't have the resolve to end to the Nork nuclear program.  They could have stopped it 10+ years ago, when NK detonated their first nuclear bomb. 

The South Koreans seem content to rollover and allow NK to have nuclear bombs and missiles.  They don't care, because Americans will protect them. 
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That graphic.
View All Quotes
Their budget must have dropped substantially if they're resorting to clipart.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#28]
When NK (or anyone) launches a 'test' ICBM, how does the US know it's a test at the time of launch?

Is there an international memo sent out for all other countries to not attack, because it's 'only a test of our emergency attack system'?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Trump will respond with a sternly worded tweet.
View Quote

Wait and see.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I said it in a previous thread.....I'm not anxious for our soldiers to be put into harms way, but I'm pretty sure it's the only thing that's going to stop Lil Kim.

How long do allow a mad man to stand in front of you, telling you that he wants to kill you and will kill you.....all while he's loading his gun and taking practice shots while you watch.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Russia and China are doomed. Ezekiel 38 and 39 will take care of Russia and Armageddon will squander China. But I won't be here to see it. 
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Depends on fuel. If its a hypergolic liquid, you could probably fuel & fire without a huge lead time. If it was RP1/LOX, it'd take some time to prep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So liquid fueled missiles take a while to prepare for launch? They can't just erect the launcher and fire it off? I understand the liquid fueled type can't be stored fueled?  I doubt they even have a warhead miniaturized enough yet but I could be wrong. This will sure move the war time table up
You would think that with all the advantages that solid fuels have to offer in terms RAM-D, the Norks would completely bypass liquid fuels altogether.

I work within a couple of miles of an old Titan I ICBM silo that was sold off in the '60s after being "demilitarized".
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I said it in a previous thread.....I'm not anxious for our soldiers to be put into harms way, but I'm pretty sure it's the only thing that's going to stop Lil Kim.

How long do allow a mad man to stand in front of you, telling you that he wants to kill you and will kill you.....all while he's loading his gun and taking practice shots while you watch.
View Quote
Good analogy.  But that mad man is in front of South Korea. 
If the South Koreans won't lead the effort to take him out, the South Koreans aren't worth supporting. 
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What would be the point of flatting Pyongyang? Or, more directly, why fly in a warhead when we can sub launch a few W-88's and achieve the same goal?

I don't think we can reasonably expect that a monolithic attack on their capital will result in a deescalation of tensions. We need to eliminate their capability to respond, which means going after both their nuclear facilities (and any mobile platforms we track) as well as their conventional units. Keeping our side of the DMZ from being decimated means using dozens or hundreds of smaller warheads on their side.

Draw a line just north of the 39th parallel and another at the DMZ. Overlap air burst blast radii and pound it into the ground. Add on more specific targets of military and political positions north of the 39th.

We don't need to drop a 9 megaton warhead on a city, we need to reach out with a few hundred smaller warheads and brush the opposition off the map as though they were pimp slapped by the hand of an angry god.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Titan II  airburst over Pyongyang would be more than enough to flatten that entire city and fuck up surrounding cities. Millions dead.
Aren't the Titan II rockets retired??
Probably... thanks Obama...  Guess we can fly in a MK-53 instead of launching a Titan II with a W-53 warhead.  9Mt airburst would be more than enough to flatten Pyongyang.
What would be the point of flatting Pyongyang? Or, more directly, why fly in a warhead when we can sub launch a few W-88's and achieve the same goal?

I don't think we can reasonably expect that a monolithic attack on their capital will result in a deescalation of tensions. We need to eliminate their capability to respond, which means going after both their nuclear facilities (and any mobile platforms we track) as well as their conventional units. Keeping our side of the DMZ from being decimated means using dozens or hundreds of smaller warheads on their side.

Draw a line just north of the 39th parallel and another at the DMZ. Overlap air burst blast radii and pound it into the ground. Add on more specific targets of military and political positions north of the 39th.

We don't need to drop a 9 megaton warhead on a city, we need to reach out with a few hundred smaller warheads and brush the opposition off the map as though they were pimp slapped by the hand of an angry god.
Not even necessary to drop a nuke, but if it must happen, Drop one big bomb on a major city home to that political regime. A smaller yield sub launched nuke could suffice, with a proper air burst.  Going nuke happy is over kill and will get more nations involved and more damage to the environment.  Nuclear facilities you can use conventional bombs for. Using nuclear weapons in a bunk buster role would require ground bursts and that would end with way to much fallout.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Good analogy.  But that mad man is in front of South Korea. 
If the South Koreans won't lead the effort to take him out, the South Koreans aren't worth supporting. 
View Quote
I agree that SK should leading the effort, but he sure seems to be calling us out directly.  He's definitely not building ICBM's to hit SK.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
With a 500 kg warhead, the KN-08 is now estimated at having a range of over 11,500 kilometers, compared to 9,500 km using Scud-technology engines in the first stage. That’s enough to reach New York City or Washington, DC from North Korea. Even the two-stage KN-14 can reach over 10,000 kilometers with a light warhead, enough to cover all of the US west coast.

Article from April 11, 2016
View Quote
Holy shit. In a couple more years, this could be a threat to America.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Holy shit. In a couple more years, this could be a threat to America.
View Quote
Could be a threat right now. There's only so high and wide you can test these rockets. I don't think anyone has seen it's true capabilities yet.

And NK has been miniaturizing nukes for a while now. Link.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

All I know is that Hippies and Communists over here hated it.

Therefore it must be awesome

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yzh5_RTxwHo/VwEXyEVKRkI/AAAAAAAAPqk/1wbF_nT7GUMWxHsl8QdYWqghez7ILl2MA/s1600/antikernwapens2-comp.jpg
View Quote
"Hollanditis" sounds like a disease that causes you to start sweating Hollandaise from your pores.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are indeed slow. Californians are commies. Who cares if 50 electoral college votes aren't automatically going to the left anymore? California probably sympathizes with the Norks so they're perfect for each other.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Short of attacking I don't know what else he can do. He sends something much closer to us and Trump is going to be woken up and asked to select a strike package:

"Mr. President at 15:35 hours Pongyang time we detected a ICBM was launched by North Korea with a trajectory putting it on course with Los Angeles. Flight time is 48 minutes. What are your orders?"
View Quote
How long before one of these surprise tests gets mistaken for an impending attack? It's a dangerous game to play. I would hope that any Presidents answer to that question would be a full scale nuclear retaliation that would bring about the total destruction of North Korea sparring not one man, woman or child.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Take the next one down. Do SK or Japan not have defensive missile tech?  Or are they all just sitting ducks now?
View Quote
I wonder how close the LAWS system is to being an option for missile defense.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
At some point we may have to sacrifice Seoul in the interest of self preservation. American interests should always come first. Up until now Seoul has always been the factor preventing us from taking the gloves off but the rules change when nukes detonating in CONUS becomes a probability.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You are indeed slow. Californians are commies. Who cares if 50 electoral college votes aren't automatically going to the left anymore? California probably sympathizes with the Norks so they're perfect for each other.
View Quote
There are still a LOT of good Americans in California who can't get out.  In a state that big, there are probably more decent people than total populations of other states.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'd guess that collateral damage to civilian populations on both sides is what keeps us from doing something militarily.
Surgical strike to take Kim out is probably the best option.
Immediately contact the top generals after the strike and ask / tell them to stand down.
View Quote
Sending in some CIA assets with blank U.S. passports and a few duffel bags full of cash to court North Korean brass into a coup is our only semi realistic option for ousting Kim from power without a full scale war. I can't imagine the guy commands much loyalty and rules by fear. Enough money can buy courage.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Well the Russians have a different take on the performance of the Nork missile :

The Russian Defense Ministry has stated that North Korea launched an intermediate range missile on Tuesday morning. The missile flew around 535 kilometers, reaching an altitude of 510 kilometers, and fell into the Sea of Japan, according to military data.

https://www.rt.com/news/395213-north-korea-missile-russian-defense/

Something is not adding up...
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude, quit doubling down on the stupid. It's not funny or clever
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well the Russians have a different take on the performance of the Nork missile :

The Russian Defense Ministry has stated that North Korea launched an intermediate range missile on Tuesday morning. The missile flew around 535 kilometers, reaching an altitude of 510 kilometers, and fell into the Sea of Japan, according to military data.

https://www.rt.com/news/395213-north-korea-missile-russian-defense/

Something is not adding up...
View Quote
They are downplaying it. In bed with China to get the US out of that region.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
At some point we may have to sacrifice Seoul in the interest of self preservation. American interests should always come first. Up until now Seoul has always been the factor preventing us from taking the gloves off but the rules change when nukes detonating in CONUS becomes a probability.
View Quote
Since Seoul in not in Illinois, and you apparently do not live there, perhaps you should not be so willing to to "sacrifice" it.   Maybe if you were willing to sacrifice your town, I might find this to be a little more compelling.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It is time for a strong preemptive nuclear strike. 30 - 40 Trident II's, each loaded with 8 W88 devices.

The best case scenario is a massive first strike. Take out as much of their known military, political, and infrastructure as possible in the first few minutes. Submarine launch the first strike and follow it up with strategic bombers.

China is too pragmatic to jump into a fight that starts with a nuclear strike.
View Quote
This won't happen, unfortunately
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top