Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#1]
In the new culture of faked and over hysterical outrage, it's become accepted in certain groups to go over the top right away.
There is NO conflict resolution for "Disrespecting" someone.

And often it get physical immediately.

The most disturbing trend I have seen on WAY too many videos, from adults and even kids is the tendency to go straight to stomping on heads or kicks to the heads once the victims are down.
I know others have had to notice this as well. And THAT changes everything within the parameters of getting involved in any type of argument or conflict with people who resort to that right away.

And how does one win a fight against the types of people who have nothing to lose and even celebrate that type of reaction?

Especially when most of  hard working, tax paying, decent family America has everything to lose by just defending themselves.

Keep your head on a swivel and mindful of where you are and where the trash is at all times.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The chipotle couple didn't speak or engage beyond reason. Someone got accidentally bumped, and someone said "excuse you" or "excuse me". That resulted in the black pair turning around, following the white couple out, trying to corner them, and beating on their vehicle and trying to block their way. They got charged, and fired for producing CCW. Would a face full of pepper spray or something more potent have gone differently?
View Quote
I wouldn't have pulled a gun.  I'd just drive away, considering that's the best and most logical course of action.

They would likely have moved out of the way as long as I didn't floor it.  

Also a good reason to park way in the back where you can't get pinned in as easily.  Consider using a nontraditional route, such as over a curb or such.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I wouldn't have pulled a gun.  I'd just drive away, considering that's the best and most logical course of action.

Also a good reason to park way in the back where you can't get pinned in as easily.  Consider using a nontraditional route, such as over a curb or such.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The chipotle couple didn't speak or engage beyond reason. Someone got accidentally bumped, and someone said "excuse you" or "excuse me". That resulted in the black pair turning around, following the white couple out, trying to corner them, and beating on their vehicle and trying to block their way. They got charged, and fired for producing CCW. Would a face full of pepper spray or something more potent have gone differently?

Their vehicle had crash avoidance. It could not back up with people behind it.

They could not move the car with people behind it. They could not drive away because their car would not move with people behind it.

With people behind their car, their car could not back up. they had to back up to drive away.

They could not move their car. In order to drive away you have to have a car that will move.

The people outside the car had threatened them. They blocked their only way to leave.

They could not drive away. They were blocked in. They could not leave if they could not drive away.

Link Posted: 7/6/2020 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't speak to or engage with strangers. Period. If someone wants to follow or harass me then I'm prepared with my cell phone (video recording) and CCW if it comes to that.

Mace and pepper spray do well in warm dry weather. Cold or wet, especially cold weather and it won't atomizer well (so I've been told).
I'm fortunate that most of my daily life is not enriched with vibrancy. No vibrance in my county.
I'm sure that will change at some point, but for now I live in the wilds where I've got a better chance of running into bear, deer, or elk than a BLM advocate.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There was a pepper spray thread a while back.  It encouraged me to get some Sabre Red.  I ended up with this:

Sabre Red Gel Crossfire MK2
View Quote

Not knowing much about pepper spray, is this particular spray considered to be the best one? I've considered picking up a couple cans recently just in case I need to slow somebody down.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
my home location, the jury will be friendly.

My work location, it will not.

I'd rather deal with OC'ing someone than have a brandishing charge. Also, it's hard to dig out a phone and start recording when you're surrounded by 2-3 or more people.
View Quote

Shit at least you're off the drag before midnight. Imagine me having to deal with the intersection at Pem and Set at 2am going out on a call.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't speak to or engage with strangers. Period. If someone wants to follow or harass me then I'm prepared with my cell phone (video recording) and CCW if it comes to that.

This..

This 2nded.  This is my inner curmudgeon talking but when society is starting to become a place where you have to walk on eggshells when talking to others then the best thing to do is to not engage at all.  I think this is going to be detrimental long-term but I don't see any other way.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Um, nevermind, can't say what I would do. I don't live by certain types of folks for a reason. The black folks around here are good people except in the shit parts of town where I don't go.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm no expert, but I question having a less than lethal option on you...be it a tazer or oc spray (for non LE). If I feel my life is in danger and I cannot escape the scene, my gun comes out...period. Tazers and OC fail often. This could get you killed. Also, if you go straight to guns, a court could

question why you didn't use a less than lethal option.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not knowing much about pepper spray, is this particular spray considered to be the best one? I've considered picking up a couple cans recently just in case I need to slow somebody down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There was a pepper spray thread a while back.  It encouraged me to get some Sabre Red.  I ended up with this:

Sabre Red Gel Crossfire MK2

Sabre is pretty well respect in law enforcement and corrections.  I also read a lot of good things about Defense Technology products.  There are other brands out there, but those two kept coming up in my research from guys that use it and teach how to use it.  There are a couple decision points:

How strong based on major capsaicinoids content?  Don't buy any of the marketing hype about Scoville units.  The major capsaicinoids content is how much of the spray is actually OC.  More OC means it's stronger.  Sabre red is Sabre's strongest product, but they offer other concentrations.  Defense Technology has lots of options here also.

Do you want just OC or do you also want CS, which is "tear gas"?  I didn't want formulations with CS in them because supposedly it settles out of the air and is persistent on surfaces for much longer than OC.  People talked about having to use products in a car and still contaminating themselves months afterward with products that have CS in them.  Pluses for CS is that now you've got two active ingredients instead of one.

What dispersal pattern do you want?  Fog, stream, gel, foam?  Each one has positives and negatives.  I went gel because Sabre only offered their Crossfire tech in gel and foam.  The gel has more range, and supposedly targets can wipe the foam off and throw it back at you.  The Crossfire tech was important to me because I wanted the can to work no matter what orientation it was in.

How big a can do you want?  I went with the smallest can Sabre offered.  You still get 10, 1 second bursts with the Mk.2 can.  If I need more than 10 seconds of spray, I'm probably pulling my pistol.

This thread has a lot of info in it.  The guy WhiteLevel gives a pretty good breakdown:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Best-pepper-spray-here-is-what-I-m-looking-for-I-know-nothing-/5-2261411/
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

It might also help to back into your parking spot on arrival.  I got in the habit of doing it years ago because my job required it.
(The reason they did was because most minor accidents happen when backing up.)
The few seconds it saves by not having to look behind you and backing up may be the difference between a potential nightmare that ruins your life, and a minor event that you don't remember next week.
I don't do it just because of the current events, black - white, whatever.  I do it from habit, but I believe, it's a good habit to have, considering current events.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#12]
These are fun

Link Posted: 7/6/2020 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Simply shop, eat and live with your race. Makes it pretty simple.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

"The only winning move is not to play"

View Quote

That's about it how can you ever hope to win against a stacked deck? The cops are ALWAYS on the other side of the issue and like so many incidents I've seen posted here it's generally the victim that get's hauled away.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What body cam did you get and how satisfied are you with it?
View Quote

The cop cam. Endorsed by Scott Savitt
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A few weeks ago walking through the Wally Mart parking lot mid-afternoon in Paso Robles, CA, a skinny little pipsqueak black teen feigned stepping in my path and flexed as I approached.

I'm below average ARFCOM size at 6'-5 and 260 and I only lift three times a week, but I didn't scared and grinned bigly at him. Wisht a motherfucker would be polite.

lulz I got your emboldened right here sweetie

Serious discussion? I've always assumed if a normal sized human threatened me that he probably has a force multiplier to even the odds. Be prepared.

ETA: Re blue vs. red county - I just looked and Paso Robles is 2% black, voted 56% for Trump
View Quote

Interesting that’s the town I grew up in and moved to AZ from as an adult.

Got in a few skirmishes growing up with black/Mexican probably wannabe gang bangers. It’s mostly conservative but Ca shithole-y-ness is fluid and transient so there are no real good areas. That was 15-20 years ago so I imagine it’s gotten exponentially worse just like everything else in Cali.

Back to the topic. The tried and true counter-assault tactics and skills still apply in this new version of race motivated assault.

Practice situational awareness, project a calm and be aware of the attributes of violence/assault:

Be aware of time, timing and distance all the time.

Your better off learning modern combative styles of self defense than searching for another tool on the belt so to speak. It’s obvious early in an exchange when someone knows how to be a predator when pushed and those aren’t the people being assaulted mostly.

I am on blood thinners and have to be aware of that, it could make me take the initiative earlier than what some would consider appropriate but I can’t get my head bounced Around or ribs beat in like I used too.

That would also be my justification for acting in self defense on top of my legal right too.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It might also help to back into your parking spot on arrival.  I got in the habit of doing it years ago because my job required it.
(The reason they did was because most minor accidents happen when backing up.)
The few seconds it saves by not having to look behind you and backing up may be the difference between a potential nightmare that ruins your life, and a minor event that you don't remember next week.
I don't do it just because of the current events, black - white, whatever.  I do it from habit, but I believe, it's a good habit to have, considering current events.
View Quote

I've backed in to parking spots for years. Doesn't take much more time and with backup cameras, it's a piece of cake. And since I don't have a front plate, the license plate cameras don't have as much to see. (Yeah, I know the tin foil is a little tight).

I also realized that my Fox Labs spray has surpassed its expiration date. So I picked up some Sabre green gel from Amazon.

And for good measure, I put my can of Bear Spray in the driver's door pocket of the car. Yeah, I know it's for bears, not humans. But it will spray a good 20 feet. That's considered lethal distance to someone with a knife. 20 feet of bear spray and then drive quickly away seems like a reasonable option.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just ordered two from Amazon and they showed four in stock before that.  Get it now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted: snipped . . .

Game plan is one to the head and two to the chest.
How about the public executions in NYC lately. That will spread
View Quote

Ahh, winning hearts and minds I see.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Is wasp/hornet spray in a car a viable option? Seems it used to recommended some.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They could not move the car with people behind it. They could not drive away because their car would not move with people behind it.

With people behind their car, their car could not back up. they had to back up to drive away.

They could not move their car. In order to drive away you have to have a car that will move.

The people outside the car had threatened them. They blocked their only way to leave.

They could not drive away. They were blocked in. They could not leave if they could not drive away.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My car has crash avoidance and you can turn it off by pressing one button. In fact, you should turn it off when going through a car wash.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I know enough ebonics to deescalate if needed
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#23]
It is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.. That is all
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't experience any of this. But then, I make it a point to never live or work in diverse areas. Served me well over the last 40 years.

The most diversity I experience in my life is at the VA. For some reason, everyone gets along just fine there.
View Quote

Yep.  My neighborhood is pretty mixed with whites, Hispanics and blacks.  

We had a great 4th!! Everyone was out celebrating and setting off fireworks!!  The Hispanic family nextdoor were the first ones out setting off fireworks!  Everyone cheered on the fireworks and were giving out high fives!  

When I walk through the neighborhood we all wave and have small talk.  None of that bullshit where I live or at least I don't see it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is wasp/hornet spray in a car a viable option? Seems it used to recommended some.
View Quote

Why yes. I think the White, Anglo, Saxon, Protestant spray would be ideal.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Glock on my hip and my Army hat, never get bothered around here.

Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#27]
1. Do not engage verbally. Watch for physical attacks, most importantly. But do not speak to anyone who appears to be creating a situation in which they are trying to create a mob reaction against you. Be calm and be patient.
2. Record any interaction, from the beginning. When I am forced to interact with the general public I record everything with my spare phone and/or small action camera I keep in my car. I cannot afford to lose my career due to racial grift. "I am recording this" is ok but saying "I have been recording this since before you started speaking" has a much more profound effect.
3. Stay away from diverse areas
4. Stay away from diverse areas
5. Stay away from diverse areas
6. If diversity comes to you, leave the area immediately
7. If you cannot leave the area immediately see #1

Good luck, these set-ups are going to become more common.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I prefer the tactic of dont be where they are . I also prefer the tactic of if you fuck with me its going to cost you . There are many ways to achieve these tactics .
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I will make every attempt to leave the area peaceably. My life and freedom aren't worth escalating the issue or defending my pride. If they threaten my life, I'll shoot them until they're not a threat anymore.

If I can get away peaceably, I might shout something back at them that they might not appreciate.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's kidnapping in nearly every state.  You stop somebody from leaving, that's kidnapping.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
new to some same old to others

View Quote

See above.

I had a friend move from Atlanta because of this. That was close to 25 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#32]
No engagement.  Confrontation can result in deescalation even if you do your best to de-escalate.  Go to a safe space (meaning police station and not some soiboi corner on campus) or call 9-11 and get the cops to tail the tail.  Generally there may not be anyone nearby (there's never a cop when you need one) so that's why I suggested a police station.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:10:32 PM EDT
[#33]
It depends on your situation...city, state, location of confrontation, etc.

Here in Texas, you'd be protected. Unfortunately, they have been Doxxing people very aggressively and you could have issues with your home, car, work, family, etc. Best bet is to not let it happen. If it escalates, withdraw while filming. If they follow, call cops and say you are in fear for your life. If shit happens at that point, shit happens. Texas has protected drivers from protestors in the street or those attacking you or your vehicle (to a point). It's sad that some of you are afraid to protect yourself, your family, and your property due to state laws.

I think we all ponder a situation where we are confronted, attacked, etc. Situational awareness is important, but it doesn't guarantee safe passage. The reality is that the Police are probably not going to be able to protect you from a situation like this, and it's up to your adrenaline-fueled ticker to make a split second decision that could possibly lead to damage or death. You have to be ready to react, and it's nice to live in a state where you are somewhat legally protected to defend yourself.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's not really the way I viewed the video of that incident. It appears that the white woman DID engage and escalate that incident. She and her husband should have driven away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's not really the way I viewed the video of that incident. It appears that the white woman DID engage and escalate that incident. She and her husband should have driven away.

Yeah, well, that just shows you didn't watch the full video.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm no expert, but I question having a less than lethal option on you...be it a tazer or oc spray (for non LE). If I feel my life is in danger and I cannot escape the scene, my gun comes out...period. Tazers and OC fail often. This could get you killed. Also, if you go straight to guns, a court could

question why you didn't use a less than lethal option.
View Quote

I'm not familiar with any legal rulings on this, but I believe that having BOTH could lead to problems. Don't forget that your car is a deadly weapon...so why did you run over them instead of spray the less than lethal? Why did you spray the non-lethal pepper spray if you were in fear for your life.

That little phrase (I was in fear for my life) is a VERY important phrase for victims. Outside subjectivity can't judge your level of fear, and it will take a good prosecutor to convince a jury that two people attacking you and your car, preventing you from escaping (kidnapping), etc did not make you fear for your life. It opens up a wide range of retributions from you, and also opens up a wide angle for your lawyer to justify your decisions or actions.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I can walk away I will got nothing to prove to some idiot being brave cause of the current climate. Try to block me in when I am in my vehicle well that is your stupidity.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

My only concern with that is the label that says it's a Federal violation to use in a manner not designed.  i.e. insects

Sure, it'll stop the aggressor, but the question is... will a prosecutor use the above against you?  **shrug**
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#38]
People mentioned filming with their phones or cameras... there are great $50 GoPro knockoffs on Amazon that work just as well as GoPros, and are only $50... better you lose that than your $500 -$1,200 phone.  I have 2 of them I got for drones and obstacle racing from my past.  Pretty indestructible little guys.

Someone mentioned the only way is not to play.  Agreed, but you do not always have a choice in the matter.

Head on a swivel, situational awareness, and they likely won’t see you as a target, but others will want to make a point, and you are a challenge.

In before times, as in two months ago, I carried mace or OC or pepper or whatever you want to call it.  Now, after seeing countless videos of multiple-offender mob attacks that go from initial contact to curb-stomping tooth removal and attempts for field goals within 15 seconds... any hands-on attempt will be met with lethal force.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Walk away.....until it's time to engage. And when it's time, it's time to be a bear. And if you have to be a bear, be a fucking grizzly. I'll always give a warning.....maybe 2 depending on the type of day I'm having. But if I have to pull my pistol out of the holster, it's already past the point of being nice and asking to back off. At that point, I'm going to make you back off.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My only concern with that is the label that says it's a Federal violation to use in a manner not designed.  i.e. insects

Sure, it'll stop the aggressor, but the question is... will a prosecutor use the above against you?  **shrug**
View Quote
Well, in my business I keep some in the vehicles and I could not be asked the above questions about why I may not have used my less lethal option (if forced to shoot). I also could reasonably show I used what I had available and it is reasonable to be in the veh (if I chose to spray).

I don't know, things are getting hard to navigate.

I have been in a couple of "encounters" since this all started and am glad they ended without anything more violent than words.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The correct response is to provoke them. The best way is to simply start laughing at them as they get more and more worked up.
However you will be physically assaulted. Be prepared.

Press charges.
Everyone has to press charges, that is the key.
Also go to the emergency room. You were the victim of a violent assault.

You need to use the same system against them that they are trying to use against you.
View Quote

I hope someone else already said this, but this is foolish. Get yourself knocked in the head/knocked down  and you may never have a chance to press charges.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Regarding pepper-spray:

If you pepper-spray someone in the face and he/she starts weeping and screaming, be advised that his/her friends and family on scene are not going to stand down and back off.  

They are not going to understand that your assailant brought that pain upon him/herself or that the spray is not going to have any permanent effect.  

Instead, Friends & Family on scene are 100% likely to go berserk and physically attack you, even if you pepper-spray THEM in the face too.  I know that if I saw my wife arguing with someone (whether she was justified or not) and the other party to the conversation whipped out an can of unknown substance and sprayed it into her face, causing her to scream in pain, crumple over, and possibly fall to the ground, I'm going Full Retard on that person.

So I'm not saying don't carry it or use it, but you gotta understand it's not a Magic Talisman any more than a firearm is, and it's possibly going to escalate the violence in the situation.  Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The correct response is to provoke them. The best way is to simply start laughing at them as they get more and more worked up.

Press charges.

You need to use the same system against them that they are trying to use against you.
View Quote

Fucking LOL...  

you should ask Staff to change your name to BrainDamage.  Because that's how you get Brain Damage.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't speak to or engage with strangers. Period.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.. That is all
View Quote
Not so sure anymore.

In for a penny, In for a pound might be the new mantra.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I don't experience any of this. But then, I make it a point to never live or work in diverse areas. Served me well over the last 40 years.

The most diversity I experience in my life is at the VA. For some reason, everyone gets along just fine there.
View Quote
this. shared a wine wood tip black with a couple OG nam black dudes at the Va last month. they hate what this country has become.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
For years, I've had dash cams in every vehicle, but just a few days ago, I picked up a cheap body camera to wear when I'm out of the vehicle.
I've been experimenting around the house with it, trying to figure out the best way to wear it without being obvious.  
I intend on minding my own business, but I want a/v of everywhere I go, and anything that may happen.  
If you rely solely on your cell phone, you may be too late to record what led up to whatever fiasco you find yourself in.
Also, you may not physically be able to use your cell phone.  It's hard to hold the phone correctly when your using your hands to defend yourself.
I'm probably over doing it, but it's cheap peace of mind, so I do it anyway.
View Quote
somebody needs to make a tlr6 and tlr1 type weaponlight with abt 20 minutes of capture ability that u can turn on with the light.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Just start coughing and say 'Id kick your ass if I wasnt so sick'.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#49]
If nothing else, this thread has made sure I never buy a vehicle with a collision avoidance "feature." If I want to run someone over, I'm going to run someone over.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Press charges.

View Quote

Also, civil suit and protective orders.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top