Quoted:

Dak didn’t have an option year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gross mismanagement.

Patrick Mahomes became eligible for an extension after the 2019 season. I'm not sure of the exact date, so let's call it the Super Bowl. He signed his extension on July 6th. It took 5 months to get through the draft, move some pieces around, and get it done, and I don't think there were any rumors of tension at any point.

Dak was eligible after the 2018 season. They made him play through his option year, and then they tagged him. The whole time, Dak was increasing his own value and gaining leverage with some surprise help from the COVIDocalypse. I'm no capologist, but I'm pretty sure this chain of events cost Dallas a LOT more than it would have if they'd have paid Dak when he became eligible.

Dak didn’t have an option year.

Well... whatever you want to call it.

Making good players at important positions play through the last season of their rookie deal is almost always a bad idea that costs more in the long run.

You want to do that to a RB? Fine. An average guy at a skill position? Maybe. A franchise QB? Roflcopters.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#2]
They could have just traded for Wilson and saved some money.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Skins need to lock this guy up, but some are saying applying the tag gives them more time to iron out a deal.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Interesting...
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Making good players at important positions play through the last season of their rookie deal is almost always a bad idea that costs more in the long run.

You want to do that to a RB? Fine. An average guy at a skill position? Maybe. A franchise QB? Roflcopters.
View Quote

Meh. Just like Cousins Dak was a 4th rounder. Both organizations failed miserably to address the situation. They dicked around with a starting caliber QB and ended up vastly overpaying for them. At least the Redskins realized a year too late that not paying the guy that kind of money was a bad idea.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Meh. Just like Cousins Dak was a 4th rounder. Both organizations failed miserably to address the situation. They dicked around with a starting caliber QB and ended up vastly overpaying for them. At least the Redskins realized a year too late that not paying the guy that kind of money was a bad idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And how'd that work out for the WTF?...
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think this is what the Redskins should officially make their name.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you hadn't noticed, I've been deliberately calling them that all season.

It's comfortable, it rolls off the keyboard naturally, and it's befitting of the franchise.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

about as well as its worked out for the vikings.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't want to trigger some football PTSD or whatever, but the WTF traded Kendall Fuller and a 3rd round pick to bring on Alex Smith, and then they gave him a 4 year, $94M contract. At the time, Smith and Cousins were statistically similar, and Smith was four years older.

Even if we look past Smith's catastrophic injury, the WTF chose poorly.

If they would have paid Cousins when he was eligible, they could have avoided all of that. Would they have been contenders? Most likely not. But it would have been less costly in the long run.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't want to trigger some football PTSD or whatever, but the WTF traded Kendall Fuller and a 3rd round pick to bring on Alex Smith, and then they gave him a 4 year, $94M contract. At the time, Smith and Cousins were statistically similar, and Smith was four years older.

If they would have paid Cousins when he was eligible, they could have avoided all of that. Would they have been contenders? Most likely not. But it would have been less costly in the long run.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh i 100% agree and it's no bother to me .

they royally fucked the cousins situation, but i'm still glad they didn't make him a franchise QB. they possibly wouldn't have hit as rock bottom as they did, but i'm not sure how much better they would've done either. we don't have any vikings fans in here, but i'm pretty sure they aren't happy their franchise gave cousins $150 guaranteed over 5 years. that's a lot of money for a guy who can't even get out of the divisional round.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

They tried one year to many on cousins but it’s hard to judge the outcome. They moved on, their veteran suffered a terrible injury and their top ten QB pick is no longer with the team.

Freak injuries and a bad draft pick aside It was the right move.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Avoided what exactly?

They chose not to pay cousins and ride out one year deals. Even if they paid him I doubt much if anything changes where they are now. Other than having Cousins on an expensive deal (which wouldn’t help them)
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:07:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:18:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Interesting...
View Quote

For MONTHS they have been talking about how negotiations were for DOUBLE the price of the last contract. THAT was tipping off the pending cap increase.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Dolphins traded  a 7th round pick for Tennessee 1st round pick last season.  Wilson could mean the right tackle and move hunt inside.   Kid better get his head on straight
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:20:09 PM EDT
[#19]

So in the end the Titans gave up their 2020 1st, their 2022 7th, and a few million dollars in order to get the Dolphins 2021 7th.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:37:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Dolphins traded  a 7th round pick for Tennessee 1st round pick last season.  Wilson could mean the right tackle and move hunt inside.   Kid better get his head on straight
View Quote

He was the Titans 1st round 2020 pick, he played two snaps (both were kneel downs, IIRC) his rookie season, and the Titans (who obviously know him better than any other team) took a hit just to get him off the team.  It might be a tad bit overly optimistic to think he's going to start at right tackle.

Personally, for that kind of investment, I would have given him one more year, but they must have REALLY had zero faith in him turning it around.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

He was the Titans 1st round 2020 pick, he played two snaps (both were kneel downs, IIRC) his rookie season, and the Titans (who obviously know him better than any other team) took a hit just to get him off the team.  It might be a tad bit overly optimistic to think he's going to start at right tackle.

Personally, for that kind of investment, I would have given him one more year, but they must have REALLY had zero faith in him turning it around.
View Quote

Reserve/Covid list
Trespass notice at a college party where drugs were present
DUI
Reserve/Covid list again
Playing debut (4 total snaps)
Suspended by the team for rules violation
Placed on the non-injury reserve for "personal issues"
Team questioned his commitment
Said he was done playing for them

Not sure there was anything to bring back after that year.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:46:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Reserve/Covid list
Trespass notice at a college party where drugs were present
DUI
Reserve/Covid list again
Playing debut (4 total snaps)
Suspended by the team for rules violation
Placed on the non-injury reserve for "personal issues"
Team questioned his commitment
Said he was done playing for them

Not sure there was anything to bring back after that year.
View Quote
The kids got the talent and size.  For a 7th round flyer? Worth the risk.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:22:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Interesting...
View Quote

8-8!
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#24]
So what do the Colts need in the draft? They have a standard slate of picks minus the 3rd rounder. Looking over the roster, maybe a WR or DB in the first?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So what do the Colts need in the draft? They have a standard slate of picks minus the 3rd rounder. Looking over the roster, maybe a WR or DB in the first?
View Quote

LOL....

Clearly they need a QB
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

LOL....

Clearly they need a QB
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL....

Clearly they need a QB

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#27]
[NFL Update on Twitter] Terms: #Patriots traded a 2022 5th-round pick to the #Raiders for OT Trent Brown and a 2022 7th-round pick, per globejimmcbride. A classic New England move.

[Patriots] As part of his new contract, future #Patriots OT Trent Brown will be a free agent after 2021  a year earlier than planned. He'll make $11M this season, with the chance to cash in again.

[Spotrac] The #Raiders have now cleared $49.3M of 2021 cap space by... Releasing: OG Gabe Jackson, OG Richie Incognito, S LaMarcus Joyner, WR Tyrell Williams; Trading OT Trent Brown
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#28]
In 14 years with the Cowboys, Tony Romo earned $125M Dak just got $126M guaranteed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

They have been searching hard for their next QB. I wonder if Wilson would be a good fit except I don't think the Colts are one of his 4 blessed teams.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They have been searching hard for their next QB. I wonder if Wilson would be a good fit except I don't think the Colts are one of his 4 blessed teams.
View Quote

I thought Reich was going to rehab Wentz and get him back to mvp form?

Or did I dream that?

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Or did I dream that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or did I dream that?

That's the notion.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Or did I dream that?

View Quote

Oh yup, I forgot about him...
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Avoided what exactly?

They chose not to pay cousins and ride out one year deals. Even if they paid him I doubt much if anything changes where they are now. Other than having Cousins on an expensive deal (which wouldn’t help them)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Avoided what exactly?

Uhh.... 5 years or so of drama, bullshit, and basement dwelling, all at a high cost?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Uhh.... 5 years or so of drama, bullshit, and basement dwelling, all at a high cost?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Stephen A made the Dak signing about race this morning. Basically saying because he wasn't signed sooner is due to him being of color.  Biggest race baiter in sports.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Stephen A made the Dak signing about race this morning. Basically saying because he wasn't signed sooner is due to him being of color.  Biggest race baiter in sports.
View Quote

He is the biggest asshole for a reason...
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

How does the loudmouth dickweed explain Patrick Mahomes' contract then?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

How does the loudmouth dickweed explain Patrick Mahomes' contract then?
View Quote

He can't.  He just hates white people.  He thinks white people owning a business/franchise is oppressive to Black folk.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

So paying Cousins $60 million more than Smith in the same timeframe would have changed things?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Godwin is getting tagged. Dupree is not.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So paying Cousins $60 million more than Smith in the same timeframe would have changed things?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cousins only got the price tag he did because he was tagged twice and then hit the open market as a free agent franchise QB. If the WTF would have given him a proper contract when he became eligible, he wouldn’t have cost nearly as much as he did.

The WTF paid more than they needed to, traded away a high quality defender on his rookie deal and a draft pick, and still came up empty handed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Godwin is getting tagged. Dupree is not.
View Quote
[Fowler] The expectation league wide is three of the top free agent receivers -- Chris Godwin, Kenny Golladay, Allen Robinson -- receive the franchise tag. Chris Godwin has been informed he's getting tagged, per @AdamSchefter.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#44]
[Mike Jones] Was told there's a good chance the salary cap figures will be set this afternoon
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#45]
[Schefter] ESPN's lead story from 1 year ago today: "Cowboys reporter Todd Archer says team has sent a NEW proposal to Prescott's agent in hopes of kick-starting discussions for a long-term deal. Sources say offer that WAS on table before was worth $33M per season and more than $100M gtd."

My what a year can change. Entering a reduced cap season where half the league wants a new QB or are shopping theirs out. Couldn't afford to tag Dak due to the cap restraints. No readily available/affordable replacements due to market demand.

Couldn't have worked out any better for Dak.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
[Mike Jones]
View Quote

281-330-8004
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#47]
So it appears all those reports that Dak wanted 40m per year on a 4 year deal were accurate.

I'm sure this will work better for them than it did for anybody else who paid a QB like this
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Also, Josh Gordon playing in that arena league...

Josh Gordon Catches GAME-WINNING Hail Mary vs. Beasts | FCF Week 4
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So it appears all those reports that Dak wanted 40m per year on a 4 year deal were accurate.

I'm sure this will work better for them than it did for anybody else who paid a QB like this
View Quote
I suspected this would happen.  Jerruh wants to win NOW.  Long term consequences be damned.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

They will win twice as many Super Bowls under this contract than they did under his rookie contract.
Page / 415
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top