BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 647
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Somehow, we apparently went from "defense wins championships" to "defense doesn't matter." I must have missed that memo.

The Chiefs defense finished at #16 in points per game.

The Chiefs allowed a NFL record 35 points in their Super Bowl win.

Setting league records for winning with bad defensive play. Totally realistic. I should have seen that coming.
View Quote

This was not a historically bad defense.

This season the difference between being #16 and #5 was 1.7 ppg or 29 points across the entire season.

Take away the garbage time TDs in weeks 1, 4, 10, and 18 and their defense would have been a top 5 unit.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

There's a meltdown every season. This time it wasn't me
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was kind of bizarre.  People were casually discussing what they thought the Packers and Rodgers should do for next season and then he had a full on meltdown.

There's a meltdown every season. This time it wasn't me

Baseball is right around the corner. Longer season than football with many more games, new rules, bigger bases, etc. Plenty of stuff to meltdown over if one is so inclined.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This season the difference between being #16 and #5 was 1.7 ppg or 29 points across the entire season.

Take away the garbage time TDs in weeks 1, 4, 10, and 18 and their defense would have been a top 5 unit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somehow, we apparently went from "defense wins championships" to "defense doesn't matter." I must have missed that memo.

The Chiefs defense finished at #16 in points per game.

The Chiefs allowed a NFL record 35 points in their Super Bowl win.

Setting league records for winning with bad defensive play. Totally realistic. I should have seen that coming.

Historically bad? No.

Mediocre? Yes.

And the Chiefs defense needed the schedule to get soft before they achieved that mediocrity. They were firmly below average in the first half of the season. In the last 7 games, they played only one good team. They barely made it to the line of average at the end of the season:

And allowing 35 points in a Super Bowl win IS a record.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Baseball is right around the corner. Longer season than football with many more games, new rules, bigger bases, etc. Plenty of stuff to meltdown over if one is so inclined.
View Quote

We are what, 3 weeks until spring training? And the Baltimore Orioles have already been eliminated from the postseason
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Historically bad? No.

Mediocre? Yes.

And the Chiefs defense needed the schedule to get soft before they achieved that mediocrity. They were firmly below average in the first half of the season. In the last 7 games, they played only one good team. They barely made it to the line of average at the end of the season:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fn2ChPyXkAAtNVD?format=jpg&name=small

View Quote

The defense will always grade out average because that’s how Spags works. Ever since he has been in KC they start slow on defense and end strong.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not a baseball fan. Hockey on the other hand.... The Sabres do the same thing that the Bills do...
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The defense will always grade out average because that’s how Spags works. Ever since he has been in KC they start slow on defense and end strong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Historically bad? No.

Mediocre? Yes.

We've seen that pattern enough that we can see there's truth to it, but man... that's a rough way to run a team.

We can talk about "getting hot at the right time" and all that kind of stuff, but those early season games still decide division winners and playoff seeding.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
lol on Kelce podcast: can an average person get 1 yard on a rushing attempt?

id say hell no on a goal line situation
View Quote

I think any decent line could make a hole for the average guy to have an opportunity for one yard.

Could your average joe fight for one yard in the NFL? Hell no.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't get that. Andy Reid isn't going to coach forever. He weighs like 900lbs, I would stay as the O coordinator there, wait for Andy to retire or his heart to splode, and have an inside track to coaching Patrick Mahomes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think any decent line could make a hole for the average guy to have an opportunity for one yard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if they had a good line, I'd imagine an average person trying to get that yard would end up having a life experience roughly equivalent to a car accident.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Damar Hamlin said he would "eventually" like to get back on the field/play again.

"Eventually. That's always the goal, like I said, as a competitor, you know, I'm trying to do things to keep advancing my situation. But I'm allowing that to be in God's hands. I'm just thankful he gave me a second chance."
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't get that. Andy Reid isn't going to coach forever. He weighs like 900lbs, I would stay as the O coordinator there, wait for Andy to retire or his heart to splode, and have an inside track to coaching Patrick Mahomes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be shocked if Andy retires. He's living his dream, and like Brady or Rodgers, he doesn't have much to go home to. But he's not facing any physical limitations to prevent him from doing his job.

Bieniemy has been in the same job for 5 seasons now. At some point, you've got to move on.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Even if they had a good line, I'd imagine an average person trying to get that yard would end up having a life experience roughly equivalent to a car accident.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been hit by 250 pound fast mofos returning squibbed kickoffs. Yep, it can hurt. I can imagine 300 pounds and much faster would be 9x worse.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have been hit by 250 pound fast mofos returning squibbed kickoffs. Yep, it can hurt. I can imagine 300 pounds and much faster would be 9x worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd still love the opportunity to get some CTE...
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Historically bad? No.

Mediocre? Yes.

View Quote

You’re really grasping at straws when you have use “points allowed in Super Bowl win” as your argument.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Are you incapable of formulating a discussion on this topic that doesn't rely exclusively on Vegas?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My view for the day:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257918/D8C6C097-ABB3-4903-8141-31719AE1F807-2712400.jpg

After a World Series and two Super Bowls, it feels like these are getting smoother.

I’m pretty sure turnout was better this year than after SB LIV.

So after spending the vast majority of the season trashing the Chiefs as not even being contenders, you go to the Super Bowl victory celebration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miQm1lcsCSk

There's a difference between "trashing" a team and trying to maintain realistic expectations about a team.

The Chiefs defense was a bottom-10ish unit for the first half the season or so, and most of their statistical improvements after that came against bad teams.

Rooting and cheering for a unit like that is one thing. Trusting and having confidence in them is something else.

Realistic expectations?  Dude, come off it.  The Chiefs were THE favorites to win the Super Bowl heading into the postseason; meanwhile you were claiming they weren't even contenders.

Yes... realistic expectations.

I consider a good defense to be a prerequisite for a feasible Super Bowl run.

By most metrics, Chiefs didn't have that.

If you said you didn't think the Chiefs would win the Super Bowl that would be one thing.  However, to claim the odds on favorite to win the Super Bowl heading into the postseason isn't even a contender to win the Super Bowl is, IMO, most definitely not realistic.

Are you incapable of formulating a discussion on this topic that doesn't rely exclusively on Vegas?

I could, but why bother?  Pointing out how the Chiefs were THE Super Bowl favorites heading into the postseason is a short and efficient way to point out how your claim that the Chiefs were not even “contenders” was NOT “realistic.” Or at least strong evidence for it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No penalty?
Timeout or permaban?
Predictions?
Odds?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was kind of bizarre.  People were casually discussing what they thought the Packers and Rodgers should do for next season and then? he had a full on meltdown.

You say bizarre, I say fucking awesome. I have come here for the last 20 plus years for entertainment, and that was entertaining.

No penalty?
Timeout or permaban?
Predictions?
Odds?

I’ve definitely seen people get account warnings and/or timeouts for less.  Mods can’t see everything though so maybe no one narced on him with the report button.

Personally I thought his random AF meltdown was pretty amusing.  Then again, Diesel was one of the most amusing posters I’ve ever seen on this site and he ended up getting banned for a comment that, IIRC, even the poster he directed it at laughed at.  Though the mods did say that was a “straw that broke the camel’s back” situation.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'd still love the opportunity to get some CTE...
View Quote

Just hang out in GD long enough, and you can get it contact free
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I’ve definitely seen people get account warnings and/or timeouts for less.  Mods can’t see everything though so maybe no one narced on him with the report button.

Personally I thought his random AF meltdown was pretty amusing.  Then again, Diesel was one of the most amusing posters I’ve ever seen on this site and he ended up getting banned for a comment that, IIRC, even the poster he directed it at laughed at.  Though the mods did say that was a “straw that broke the camel’s back” situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was kind of bizarre.  People were casually discussing what they thought the Packers and Rodgers should do for next season and then? he had a full on meltdown.

You say bizarre, I say fucking awesome. I have come here for the last 20 plus years for entertainment, and that was entertaining.

No penalty?
Timeout or permaban?
Predictions?
Odds?

I was online at the time of his flame out. I don't think anyone at the time in the thread thought of reporting him. More of a surprise and chuckle. I thought of replying to him but whenever has politely telling someone to calm down or chill worked...
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Personally, I thought Rebel's meltdown Was amusing.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I was online at the time of his flame out. I don't think anyone at the time in the thread thought of reporting him. More of a surprise and chuckle. I thought of replying to him but whenever has politely telling someone to calm down or chill worked...
View Quote

I actually saw this happen and work yesterday.

My 8 yo daughter told my wife "Mommy, you need to calm down". She starting laughing when she said it.

Damn sure doesn't work when I do it. I'm going to have to figure out some secret hand signals so I can harness the power of her cuteness.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Due to constant delays, just now finally happening, more than a year later.

A Clark County grand jury has indicted Alvin Kamara and three of his associates for an alleged () beating at a Las Vegas nightclub last year. The indictment means the criminal case will immediately bypass Las Vegas Justice Court and move to district court. A judge set a court date for March 2.

Kamara, a running back for the New Orleans Saints, Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Chris Lammons and two other men face criminal charges connected to the incident outside of a Strip nightclub on Feb. 5, 2022, during the NFL Pro Bowl weekend.

The grand jury indicted the four men Wednesday on charges of conspiracy to commit battery and battery resulting in substantial bodily harm.

The victim, Darnell Greene, told Las Vegas Metro police that he was waiting outside an elevator at Drai's Nightclub alongside a group of people, including the four suspects.

When some elevator doors opened, Kamara put his hand on the victim's chest to stop him from entering the elevator, police said.

According to police, after the victim pushed Kamara's hand off his chest, Kamara shoved him before another suspect, identified as Lammons, punched Greene and knocked him back against a wall.

Greene has filed a civil lawsuit in Louisiana. Videos and an audio recording taken in an SUV after the reported assault have not been released. The lawsuit includes still images from surveillance video and transcription of the recording.

"Immediately after the vicious beating, Kamara bragged about it with a member of his group, stating, "I connected with the [expletive]'s jaw so hard," the lawsuit claims.

"[Kamara] chased Greene down the hall and proceeded to strike him multiple times until he was knocked to the ground," the lawsuit said. "At no point during the attack did Greene hit, punch, or push Kamara or any of his associates."
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

A Clark County grand jury has indicted Alvin Kamara and three of his associates for an alleged () beating at a Las Vegas nightclub last year. The indictment means the criminal case will immediately bypass Las Vegas Justice Court and move to district court. A judge set a court date for March 2.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Kamara, a running back for the New Orleans Saints, Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Chris Lammons and two other men face criminal charges connected to the incident outside of a Strip nightclub on Feb. 5, 2022, during the NFL Pro Bowl weekend.

The grand jury indicted the four men Wednesday on charges of conspiracy to commit battery and battery resulting in substantial bodily harm.

The victim, Darnell Greene, told Las Vegas Metro police that he was waiting outside an elevator at Drai's Nightclub alongside a group of people, including the four suspects.

When some elevator doors opened, Kamara put his hand on the victim's chest to stop him from entering the elevator, police said.

According to police, after the victim pushed Kamara's hand off his chest, Kamara shoved him before another suspect, identified as Lammons, punched Greene and knocked him back against a wall.

Greene has filed a civil lawsuit in Louisiana. Videos and an audio recording taken in an SUV after the reported assault have not been released. The lawsuit includes still images from surveillance video and transcription of the recording.

"Immediately after the vicious beating, Kamara bragged about it with a member of his group, stating, "I connected with the [expletive]'s jaw so hard," the lawsuit claims.

"[Kamara] chased Greene down the hall and proceeded to strike him multiple times until he was knocked to the ground," the lawsuit said. "At no point during the attack did Greene hit, punch, or push Kamara or any of his associates."

Kamara and his buddies beating the shit out of a man 4 on 1 was bad enough, but to see them repeatedly kick him in the head after he was already knocked unconscious was fucked up.  They're lucky the man didn't have serious brain damage or even die.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You’re really grasping at straws when you have use “points allowed in Super Bowl win” as your argument.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Historically bad? No.

Mediocre? Yes.

Okay. How about these:

The Chiefs defense was...

#21 in points allowed per drive
#30 in the red zone
#20 in takeaways
Tied for 6th most missed tackles
Tied for 10th most penalized defense

And just for fun: 10 of their 55 sacks came from Russell Wilson.

Basically, they were a below average unit by most metrics.

Pardon me for not having faith in this defense to be competitive at the highest levels.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, I was greatly amused by that.

Good thing he isn't a Cowboys fan, he would have to be institutionalized
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'd be shocked if Andy retires. He's living his dream, and like Brady or Rodgers, he doesn't have much to go home to. But he's not facing any physical limitations to prevent him from doing his job.

Bieniemy has been in the same job for 5 seasons now. At some point, you've got to move on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Move on from a job where you’ve won 2 rings, and will be heavily favored to win more?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It could be argued being a Packers fan would be more frustrating considering for the past 25 years the Packers have had a starter at QB that was a 3x+ MVP winner and first ballot Hall of Famer and during that quarter of a century they won one more Super Bowl than the Cowboys.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Okay. How about these:

#30 in the red zone
#20 in takeaways

Pardon me for not having faith in this defense to be competitive at the highest levels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Historically bad? No.

Mediocre? Yes.

Okay. How about these:

#30 in the red zone
#20 in takeaways

Plus they’re last in the league for 2023 draft order.

What a bunch of bums.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Move on from a job where you’ve won 2 rings, and will be heavily favored to win more?
View Quote

It’s a strategery by B. to make himself more appealing for a HC position. I don’t blame him, he has two SB rings on his hand but no HC distinction. I’d trade more rings for the glory of being a head coach at this point in my life if I were in his position, to satisfy his personal life’s goals.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. To move to a dysfunctional organization like Washington. Meh.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of these guys are in it for some combination of money, legacy, and if applicable, career progression. Bieniemy isn't getting any of those working for Andy Reid.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It could be argued being a Packers fan would be more frustrating considering in the past 25 years the Packers have had a starter at QB that was a 3x+ MVP winner and first ballot Hall of Famer and during that quarter of a century they won one more Super Bowl than the Cowboys.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Personally, I thought Rebel's meltdown Was amusing.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpHoU6PXwAE6KUS?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpHoU6MWAAEUMWR?format=jpg&name=900x900
View Quote

Neat.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I admit, I bought into the hype. I thought, damn, the Cowboys are on fire. Maybe this is their year.

Ayep.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#40]
How it started:

How it's going:

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard a segment on a show, I think the Dan Patrick show, and if Reid retired Bieniemy most likely wouldn’t be offered the HC gig.

The knock on him is now ‘well, can he call plays on his own without Reid and Mahomes.’
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

For now.  He is in his mid 60s and he's been morbidly obese for most of his life.  That takes a toll and, sooner or later, that bill comes due.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

For now.  He is in his mid 60s and he's been morbidly obese for most of his life.  That takes a toll and, sooner or later, that bill comes due.
View Quote

This is true.  His game shirts are customer tailored and he makes no excuses for his eating habits, but dam, he is a fine man and head coach and his players love and respect him for his accomplishments and leadership.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#44]
I'd eat a cheeseburger with Andy anytime.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:42:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

We are what, 3 weeks until spring training? And the Baltimore Orioles have already been eliminated from the postseason
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ok dude, why you gotta hit me low about my baseball team in the damn nfl thread!?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This is true.  His game shirts are customer tailored and he makes no excuses for his eating habits, but dam, he is a fine man and head coach and his players love and respect him for his accomplishments and leadership.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good coach, bad father.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Good coach, bad father.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:58:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Talks with Bieniemy and Washington resume tomorrow.

It's between him and greg roman.

I know neither will be the savior of the franchise, but I wouldn't mind seeing Bieniemy's offense at work in DC.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:25:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Looked like a fun celebration

Link Posted: 2/17/2023 1:23:42 AM EDT
[#50]
2022 Offensive Conversion Rates with 1-2 yards to go. Steelers are the only team to have 100% conversion rate on 4th down.

Bengals failed nearly 80% of their 4th down plays
Page / 647
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top