Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Native Southerner. I love the battle flag. When I lived in New Hampshire, I saw more Confederate battle flags driving through Winchendon MA than I would driving through 5 Southern towns. Not sure why that was.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I've become comfortably numb.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I assume low IQ.
View Quote

I assume the same when I see that a person is from Ohio.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I understand that after the American Civil War that the victors allowed the defeated to retain this stuff as a peace offering so we all could just get along, be brothers, etc.  

This is kind of a rarity in war as the norm is to round up all the defeated, imprison some and execute the officers for war crimes.  Then burn/destroy any flags, symbols etc of the defeated side as message that it’s over, you lost.  Victor’s justice as it’s often referred to.  

Perhaps it was a mistake the Union was so lenient on the Confederates as we then wouldn’t be having this debate now.
View Quote

Hush, commie.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In the end, I don’t care.  Doesn’t bother me nor does it give me joy.  I’m not going to hoist it up either.  I feel exactly the same way in regards to the rainbow flag.  It’s freedom of speech, per se.  

I can see that’s it’s a symbol of southern pride and heritage.  The symbology doesn’t stop there. If you think that is all it represents then you’ve cancelled part of the history behind the symbology.  

Simply read the secession documents as they were written, not the translation.  Read what was written, by the original authors.  Not some translation by a Southern apologist or a woke liberal.  Then those views were rallied behind the stars and bars.
View Quote

My thoughts exactly.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I feel that the person more than likely prefers certain things.

-A strong distrust of federal .gov - Check
-a taste for cheap whiskey and loose big breasted southern women - Only in trash country songs and TV shows with an anti-Southern bias
-likes driving fast in a big V8 vehicle - What American doesn’t, ya commie?
-an attraction to his opposite sex siblings and cousins - I think you’re mistaking Southerners for the Biden family
-meth use, production, or storage - Every state in the union fits in this category.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Meh.  Both sides were wrong in the Civil War so I don't give a fuck.  I think people who display the Confederate flag are taking a big risk of their property being vandalized.  Whether it's their 'heritage' or racism or something else, I don't really care.  It's kinda stupid.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You yourself said its an apples to oranges comparison....and you want me to defend it?
View Quote
@AXE0FWAR You said I had weak constitution.  If you think it's such a good idea, defend the position.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Freedom of Speech. All the Way.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Not sure what ya'll are talking about

heritage not hate

Now if you'll excuse me, my sun brewed sweet tea is ready to drink
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I understand that after the American Civil War that the victors allowed the defeated to retain this stuff as a peace offering so we all could just get along, be brothers, etc.  

This is kind of a rarity in war as the norm is to round up all the defeated, imprison some and execute the officers for war crimes.  Then burn/destroy any flags, symbols etc of the defeated side as message that it’s over, you lost.  Victor’s justice as it’s often referred to.  

Perhaps it was a mistake the Union was so lenient on the Confederates as we then wouldn’t be having this debate now.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I was born in the south and raised in the south, and I flew a confederate flag during my time there. Also, had one on my vehicle here in Arizona afterwards.

Edit: no one cared. But apparently now it’s a thing so fuck them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't care.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Meh.  Both sides were wrong in the Civil War so I don't give a fuck.  I think people who display the Confederate flag are taking a big risk of their property being vandalized.  Whether it's their 'heritage' or racism or something else, I don't really care.  It's kinda stupid.
View Quote

I'm guessing you aren't in Southern MO. I think not having a rebel flag around there would be a liability.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm guessing you aren't in Southern MO. I think not having a rebel flag around there would be a liability.
View Quote

Yeah, Southern Missouri is a shithole full of ignorant hillbillies.  If I got along there I would have to wonder about myself
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I guess when I see a confederate flag in the South I feel like I am in the South.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll never figure out how die hard conservatives still fly the flag of the loser democrats
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Proud !
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'll never figure out how die hard conservatives still fly the flag of the loser democrats
View Quote
They bought into the lost cause movement hook line and sinker.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Doesn't bother me, not offended by it.  Like it or not, it is part of our history.  I think some use it as a way for some to say they are a Rebel, not even crossing their mind about all who died on both sides and slavery at the time.  I had a friend back in the 70's who wore a Confederate Kepi cap with a Stars and Bars patch on it and he wore it because he thought of himself as a Rebel, nothing more.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I always try to see if facts support the narrative. The facts do not support the narrative that the North was fighting a moral battle to free enslaved people, mostly because there were legally enslaved people in the north for months after the war ended, much less began.

It's a complicated issue that's been simplified and sugar coated.
View Quote

How many northern (not union, but northern) states still had legal slavery in 1865?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How many northern (not union, but northern) states still had legal slavery in 1865?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always try to see if facts support the narrative. The facts do not support the narrative that the North was fighting a moral battle to free enslaved people, mostly because there were legally enslaved people in the north for months after the war ended, much less began.

It's a complicated issue that's been simplified and sugar coated.

How many countries do we send foreign aid to that still do?

The biggest slave trade in the history of the world is happening at my state's southern border and no one does anything about it except say "Don't send your illegals here!".
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#23]
A bit of pride in my southern heritage

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I salute.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I render a salute every time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
@AXE0FWAR You said I had weak constitution.  If you think it's such a good idea, defend the position.
View Quote

Really? Lemme break it down.

- you allowed someone, a liberal female, on Twitter to present to you a “apples to oranges” argument that shattered a position you held your entire life.

You already argued my point. It’s a stupid comparison and changing your beliefs on it is weak.

What more do you want me to say that you haven’t?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't care.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Doesn't bother me at all.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#29]
It doesn't bother me, but I personally would not be showing a Confederate flag.
Same reason I don't put NRA or TSRA stickers on my car. Or wear a MAGA hat.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I feel a little envious actually. Good on y'all for identifying with your heritage. It's actually part of my heritage also but I grew up as a Yankee.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I think it's a cool looking flag
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#32]
The first thing I think is “this person probably hates n******”
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Indifferent.

Person is either an idiot (lots of them), feels strongly about history (ok) or is just looking for reactions (and mine is don't care).
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I lived in redneck north central Florida for almost 8 years in the '90s and never saw a Confederate flag in the wild.  I never saw a Confederate battle flag either, just rectangular monstrosities that look like someone stretched the Battle Flag of the Army of Tennessee amd used the wrong shade of blue.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#35]
It means different things to different people.

Some are looking for a reason to be offended.

Some are looking for ac way to offend.

I know a few of both, but try my best to avoid them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:31:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Growing up I loved the stars and bars. It's a cool looking flag, easy to draw and it was a symbol of the south.

Not the bad parts, just being southern.

Everyone wore southern outfitters and had flags or stickers.

Now it's only rocked by methheads, 88ers and methhead 88ers.

It's sad but there's no denying that's now taboo to have it publicly displayed. The media has drilled it into everyone's head that only racists still fly it and they eagerly accepted that mantel so its now a relic of a bygone Era.

It is what it is.

I say this as a Virginian with ancestors that died in Gettysburg, and who were wounded at the battle of the wilderness, with a distant relation to General Lee.

It's over for the Stars and Bars. Unless you also love Hitler I guess.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't care. It doesn't evoke any feelings from me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 3:14:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

- you allowed someone, a liberal female, on Twitter to present to you a “apples to oranges” argument that shattered a position you held your entire life.

You already argued my point. It’s a stupid comparison and changing your beliefs on it is weak.

What more do you want me to say that you haven’t?
View Quote
What makes you say she's liberal?  Did I write it, or did you imagine it?  I would expect more from a person who suggests they have the clairvoyance to know someone's intelligence quotient from internet posts.  She's actually a very conservative pro-lifer. Reading is fundamental, yet not one of your strong suits.

And it's not a weak comparison, just not equal. The CSA wasn't running death camps, and wasn't on the offensive, while the Nazis did both.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 3:18:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Same as when I see the Ukraine or Russian flag...indifference.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 3:29:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 3:52:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What makes you say she's liberal?  Did I write it, or did you imagine it?  I would expect more from a person who suggests they have the clairvoyance to know someone's intelligence quotient from internet posts.  She's actually a very conservative pro-lifer. Reading is fundamental, yet not one of your strong suits.

And it's not a weak comparison, just not equal. The CSA wasn't running death camps, and wasn't on the offensive, while the Nazis did both.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- you allowed someone, a liberal female, on Twitter to present to you a "apples to oranges" argument that shattered a position you held your entire life.

You already argued my point. It's a stupid comparison and changing your beliefs on it is weak.

What more do you want me to say that you haven't?

It never stops, it'll just be ethnic grievance and blood feuds until the end of time.

Link Posted: 1/28/2023 4:02:53 AM EDT
[#42]
When I go into town, I pass by two mobile homes on the same lot and they have as many as 20 flying on poles in their yards.  

As far as bother me, no, I grew up with this flag and I see it more as a statement to the history than anything.  I see them on cars, trucks and motorcycles here n Louisiana, but the frequency has dropped way off the past 10 years.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 4:03:38 AM EDT
[#43]
I like seeing it for two reasons - shows someone not cowed by libtards and policed, politically-correct thought control, and because it pisses off libtards so much
To me it also represents states rights, a concept that started to die with the Civil War and was completely obliterated when they made the  Feds omnipotent by allowing direct taxation and the income tax (originally pedalled as a small tax only on richest 1%)
And I'm not even in the south.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 4:08:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The first thing I think is "this person probably hates n******"
View Quote
You can think it, but you'd be dead wrong.  In fact, only liberals think this way.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 4:21:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Don’t care but it’s pretty rare these days. Usually it’s worn on a jacket by Hispanic bikers.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 4:26:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 4:30:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 4:55:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The first thing I think is “this person probably hates n******”
View Quote

Most uneducated liberals do.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 6:43:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The more the left hates it, the more I like it.  It symbolizes defiance to the left's bs.
View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 7:15:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I don't care.
View Quote

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top