User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

your opinion is simply wrong.

$1k 6920 SOCOM will out shoot most everything on the market. Test results can be found on this very site.

You have to spend twice on the other brands to get near the consistent average accuracy of the SOCOM. (the army wants 480,000 of them)
View Quote
Link?

All I said was as good or better, not cheaper
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Colt is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No citizen, they will be worthless when you are commanded to turn them in.

oh and in before the $2000 6920's on EE...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/XRF3BM8.jpg

People don't think Colt be like it is... but it do.
No citizen, they will be worthless when you are commanded to turn them in.

oh and in before the $2000 6920's on EE...
Makes the two I bought at Walmart for $450 a piece when they were dumping ARs that much sweeter.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What if I did?
View Quote
Then I'd understand why you're shilling for them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Colts are the purple ones
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
cover upthe roll mark and most people couldn't tell the difference between theirs and any other AR on the market. Who needs em?
The Colts are the purple ones
With horrendous flashing that didn't get machined off.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Fuck Colt, they've never been on the side of the people. They should have been boycotted a long time ago in all truth.
View Quote
Yups. Also, losing a lot of buisiness to FN really hurt them. It probably wont take much to send the prancing pony to the glue factory.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Aero Precision FTW!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Good point. Colt's civilian production ARs have always had a reputation for "feast or famine" availability; they run off a bunch and they're everywhere, and then they dry up for periods.
View Quote
Not just ARs - they do everything the same way - batch production. This is because they won't expand production to make all of their products at once in addition to the gov contracts.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why buy an AR that doesn't have a full M16 BCG and a lower rear shelf?
View Quote
My 6920s and 6520 have M16 carriers.

Since I will never purchase a DIAS I don't care about the shelf.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Let me translate this for you guys, "The government has threatened to cancel Colts contract for long guns if they keep making AR-15's for the public." For you that are to young to remember the last AWB, Colt cave fast after trying to appease the government with feelgood mods to AR-15's for the public Then quit civilian production for a time.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmm I should have picked up a 6960-CCU when I had the chance.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't even care.  Their stuff has been over priced for decades and what they do offer hasn't been what the market wanted.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Colt can suck it. Remember when they stopped selling handguns too? Screw them and their overpriced guns. Average at best.

The only thing they have left is nostalgia from an iconic brand. Will be sad too see the brand die but the company deserves it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Somebody dust of 'THE CHART'! We're gonna have to rewrite this boys!
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Overrated and over priced, fuck em.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Apparently they dont like money either...
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh well
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Again?  Oh well bye.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Click bait thread.  Commercial sales will halt while Colt focuses on LE and .mil contracts.  Colts will get scarce for a few months until contract obligations met.  This certainly isn't the first time Colt has focused on contracts...
View Quote
That's not how it reads to me at all....
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Well bye
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Call it focusing on .mil contracts but the reality is they are probably in a tough spot due to shit sales and are about to lay everyone off except the .mil group.
View Quote
This is what I'm going with.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Call it focusing on .mil contracts but the reality is they are probably in a tough spot due to shit sales and are about to lay everyone off except the .mil group.
That actually makes the most sense of any of the posts in this thread.  Still the timing makes me wonder if they didn't get a phone call from somebody in politics that twisted their arms to do it now.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Colt has done this before, '09 was the last time I recall them halting commercial sales to focus on fulfilling their contract requirements.  The Colt market dried up for about 6 months that time.  They're not suspending civilian sales, they're focusing their efforts on their contract fulfillment to LE and .mil...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing it's probably this rather than a full-bore halt on all future production of weapons and components for the civilian market.
Colt has done this before, '09 was the last time I recall them halting commercial sales to focus on fulfilling their contract requirements.  The Colt market dried up for about 6 months that time.  They're not suspending civilian sales, they're focusing their efforts on their contract fulfillment to LE and .mil...
It's not due to "fulfilling contract requirements" , though.  They're stopping to "regain" govt contracts.  IE...its not profitable (or worse, not woke enough) for them to make civilian rifles.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hope they don't know something we don't know.  
View Quote
Since they’re a relatively big part of the defense industry it’s not outside the realm of possibility that they heard something through the grapevine.

More likely though they’re just licking congressional wingtips trying to get more contracts.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Fuck Colt, they've never been on the side of the people. They should have been boycotted a long time ago in all truth.
View Quote
I have been against Colt products in general since their weak response in the 80's/90's.
The appearance after testing for the few 1911s to be purchased by DOD didn't impress me either.  I'd just as soon buy a steel framed Taurus or something from S&W, Sig or even Ruger for a LW Commander.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#27]
So far all the facts we have in this thread is that a unnamed RSR sales rep sent an email to a guy.  Thats it.  It could very well be a scare tactic by a guy trying to sell the rifles stacked up in his warehouse.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Colt has more competitors in the commercial space now than at any other time in history. There are hundreds of companies in this space.

No surprise that they gave up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So far all the facts we have in this thread is that a unnamed RSR sales rep sent an email to a guy.  Thats it.  It could very well be a scare tactic by a guy trying to sell the rifles stacked up in his warehouse.
View Quote
Unpossible! Random unsubstantiated internet rumors are always true!
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm sure that's a factor.

Brownells bought a bunch of their CCU uppers and has put them on sale twice. It's a much more crowded market than it used to be and Colt has been somewhat reluctant to update their offering because M4 contract.

Their CCU is actually a very good package...but consider that it's the first mid-length gun they've offered while just about everybody else has been selling them for years.

I bought both of my CCU uppers on sale because the normal price of around $700 is kind of nuts given what you can get other high quality upper receivers for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colt trying to help distributors move the thousands of Colts they have stacked deep in the warehouses.
I'm sure that's a factor.

Brownells bought a bunch of their CCU uppers and has put them on sale twice. It's a much more crowded market than it used to be and Colt has been somewhat reluctant to update their offering because M4 contract.

Their CCU is actually a very good package...but consider that it's the first mid-length gun they've offered while just about everybody else has been selling them for years.

I bought both of my CCU uppers on sale because the normal price of around $700 is kind of nuts given what you can get other high quality upper receivers for.
I have a feeling Colt also plans to re-tool and modernize their production line. While I certainly would like a "Colt M4A1" marked lower with the traditional M4 barrel profile one day that clearly isn't selling anymore. All the other manufactures have dumped that style, special forces seem to be going to midlength and look to have dumped the M203 cut and practically every LE or military contract foreign and domestic is opting for a more modern design. See New Zealand's LMT rifle as an example.

I can see Colt trying to secure some more of the old style, circa 2000 M4 contracts while quietly changing their barrel production and model lineup. I still think there is a market for a as issued US Army M4 and M4A1 but it needs to be $600 these days. No one wants an M203 cut barrel and fixed A2 front site post for more than that.

It may just be a barrel, flash hider & other minor changes or maybe they plan on changing the upper/receiver as well other changes.

Or they could just be idiots.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Smells like a terrible decision.

You make that call when you HAVE .mil contracts, not when you want them.
View Quote
Unless it were a precondition.  I recall some years back, a move by Bloomberg types to coerce gun makers away from civilian sales (of AWs only, at first) through issuance of lucrative contracts, paid for by the same civilians.

*That* my friends is how you sell rope to hang capitalists with; corporate gets a ton of money in exchange for harming the people who compose the corporation.  Corporate can't die via tyrannical takeover, it merely becomes a component with even more authority to extract from its members.

We (the people, not the government) should have *never* allowed corporations to operate across state lines, let alone globally.  It has allowed them to accumulate power wholly incompatible with a constitutional republican form of government, as well as allegiances to foreign actors & ideas.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This, didn't they do this a few years back around 13 through 15? I thought I remember reading that colt was "halting production" as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click bait thread.  Commercial sales will halt while Colt focuses on LE and .mil contracts.  Colts will get scarce for a few months until contract obligations met.  This certainly isn't the first time Colt has focused on contracts...
This, didn't they do this a few years back around 13 through 15? I thought I remember reading that colt was "halting production" as well.
Gee, also during an big gun control movement push...
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#33]
The Colt reps always look so demoralized when I see them...
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
lol. The only gun company that couldn't make money during the 2013 panic strikes again.
View Quote
This.

Colt hasn't had a military contract in forever, and now, when we aren't going to war with anybody they end sales to try and get something that doesn't exist?

It's an organization run by mental midgets.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Once again Colt swerves for a ditch.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think you hit on something.  Once again:  the TIMING of this announcement is highly suspicious.  Don't forget the debates over gun control in Congress as well.  If anything, a smart manufacturer might be having talks to actually increase production in the short term in anticipation of a ban that might allow grandfathered weapons and have a cutoff date.  Halting manufacturing and sales to civilians is a peculiar move for what might be the eve of the Mother of All Gun Panics (not saying there will be a panic).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe.
Or someone is trying to position themselves as being on the "right" side of an issue. Many city and state governments are starting to make noise about not doing LEO business with manufacturers who offer products like this for civilian sales.
If being the exclusive supplier for all the LEAs in NY, CA, NJ etc looks like a bigger number then civi sales then that is the direction they might take.
I think you hit on something.  Once again:  the TIMING of this announcement is highly suspicious.  Don't forget the debates over gun control in Congress as well.  If anything, a smart manufacturer might be having talks to actually increase production in the short term in anticipation of a ban that might allow grandfathered weapons and have a cutoff date.  Halting manufacturing and sales to civilians is a peculiar move for what might be the eve of the Mother of All Gun Panics (not saying there will be a panic).
We have a Republican president; "What, Me Panic?"

(Man I wish I had a Fudded-out Alfred E Newman to go with that.  I guess the Pete Brownell Fudd meme is close enough)
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The Colt reps always look so demoralized when I see them...
View Quote
They've basically been selling two products for thirty years, AR's and 1911s. Three If you count the Italian made old guy wheel guns that nobody buys. Hard to get excited as a sales rep when you're constantly trotting out the same product.

Colt Rep: This year we have something awesome to show you. It's a AR15 with a monolithic rail.

Spectator: Didn't LMT do that years ago?

Colt Rep: Ours is better.

Spectator: Why's it purple?

Colt Rep: Check out this SAA clone.

Spectator: It's $1,700

Colt Rep: Gidde up pilgrim.

Spectator:

Colt Rep: I wish I worked for KAC.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Brought to you by the company that for years installed sear blocks, half moon bolt carriers, and nonstandard FCG pin sizes for lowly citizens.
View Quote
Also non-standard takedown pin sizes, so you couldn't use "machine-gun uppers" or something
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Colt ... killing America's enemies for +50 years. Sad to see all haters shitting on them. But, this IS Arfcom.
View Quote
Some of America's enemies, perhaps.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

They've basically been selling two products for thirty years, AR's and 1911s. Three If you count the Italian made old guy wheel guns that nobody buys. Hard to get excited as a sales rep when you're constantly trotting out the same product.

Colt Rep: This year we have something awesome to show you. It's a AR15 with a monolithic rail.

Spectator: Didn't LMT do that years ago?

Colt Rep: Ours is better.

Spectator: Why's it purple?

Colt Rep: Check out this SAA clone.

Spectator: It's $1,700

Colt Rep: Gidde up pilgrim.

Spectator:

Colt Rep: I wish I worked for KAC.
View Quote
“Why’s it Purple?”

Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hope they don't know something we don't know.  
View Quote
Kinda this
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#43]
When my wife took a course on manufacturing certs, Colt was one of the instructor’s examples of what not to do....
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Meh. Guess I’ll use all these PSA lowers to wipe my tears.
View Quote
Should be doable, seeing as I managed to wipe my ass with one
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Seriously, these fuckers could mess up when they have a printing press to press money!

I’m a Colt fan boy and have several of their ARs, pistols, a Colteer and even a shotgun of theirs. All they need is to put their name on something and people will buy it. They came back out with the Cobra but nothing else. They can’t make SAAs fast enough but they’ve rested on their reputation for too long.

Make snake guns again, innovate and make something more than SAAs, 1911s and ARs. All of which I love but when your newest design is 60 years old you gotta do something new to sell something else old that people will buy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#46]
How many times has Colt turned it's nose up at the civilian market?
They only know how to suck at the Government TIT!
Colt's biggest problem is Colt's management!
The State of CT bailed them out in the early 90's after a 3 year strike.
How many more times have they been saved from the brink of going down the tubes?
They don't innovate and it's the same products over and over.

I own 5 Colts cause they are made here...
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Ok well.......
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#48]
LoL, Colt fanboys in for sad times.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Wondering if Remlins are included. ??
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Let’s see so far I have the following

1 6940
2 6920’s
1 6920 socom 16.1 inch
1 6920 hbpw 14.5 P&W
2 6920 socom 14.5 P&W (US government property marked) One rollmarked, the other laser marked.
1 6933
1 6933 epr (currently in nfa jail waiting on the tax stamp approval)

I’d say I’m good to go. I need to quit buying AR’s anyway as Im running out of room in my safe.. Looking at buying something else, not sure what. As far Colt goes, like others have said this is not the first time they have done this and it won't be the last. The way I see it is that if they go out of business tommorow, the above will just increase in value.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top