Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 3:12:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Safety on is the correct answer.

Anyone who says off is a safety violator and needs to be re-educated.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 3:13:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do you have a round chambered? If not, swap mags, chamber a round, then safety on. If so, safety on, swap mags.

If thinking is too hard, you shouldn't be shooting.
View Quote
So in this instance I cannot follow the "safety on while reloading" or it would be very clunky to attempt that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 3:24:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Safety on is the correct answer.

Anyone who says off is a safety violator and needs to be re-educated.
View Quote

I am a follower of the safety science, but a speed reload is done with the finger off the trigger, weapon oriented to the threat, and with intent to fire.

Safety off in a speed reload satisfies the USMC-specific weapons safety rules.

Tactical reloads = safety on 100%
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 3:30:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So in this instance I cannot follow the "safety on while reloading" or it would be very clunky to attempt that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a round chambered? If not, swap mags, chamber a round, then safety on. If so, safety on, swap mags.

If thinking is too hard, you shouldn't be shooting.

Yes. That tends to be understood in these discussions, since there are instances with certain firearms where the selector/safety cannot be moved. Pedantry abounds.

ETA: It's a little clunky to say "safety on during reloads except when impossible" but maybe it needs to be explained.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 3:54:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I am a follower of the safety science, but a speed reload is done with the finger off the trigger, weapon oriented to the threat, and with intent to fire.

Safety off in a speed reload satisfies the USMC-specific weapons safety rules.

Tactical reloads = safety on 100%
View Quote

Nah man.

Put it on safe.

It'll immediately tell if you have a malfunction if it won't go on safe.

You should be transitioning to a pistol anyway and primary goes on safe as you transition.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 4:05:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes. That tends to be understood in these discussions, since there are instances with certain firearms where the selector/safety cannot be moved. Pedantry abounds.

ETA: It's a little clunky to say "safety on during reloads except when impossible" but maybe it needs to be explained.
View Quote
I like "keep your finger off the trigger unless you are ready to fire". Keeps things simple for most every occasion. And yes I'd agree it's easy to flick on an AR / AR derivative safety. Most other guns it is clunky at best, or impossible to do for reloading.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 4:28:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Safety on until an imminent threat has been properly ID'ed and follow the four rules.

So if I am already pointing the gun with my sights aligned, I have obviously made the decision to shoot at that point. This means that I'm going to destroy whom it's pointed at until they're no longer a threat no matter how many mags it takes to do so, then the safety goes back on.

Even if this is part of a drill that requires a mag change and am still engaging targets then still no, as I am still following the four rules.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 4:30:04 AM EDT
[#8]
The answer is… It depends.

If it’s an admin reload where I’m in cover and I’ve already looked around for more threats, but not actively engaging a threat. Yeah, because at this point, I’ve already got the safety back on, since I’m not currently shooting something.

If I’m in the middle of shooting some fuckers, my focus is getting my gun back up as fast as possible. No need to add additional steps to this process.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 4:40:39 AM EDT
[#9]
LE rifle instructor for many years.  

Speed reloads we don't engage the safety.

Tactical reloads the safety is on.

Two completely different reloads done under two completely differing circumstances and time/threat constraints.

I'm always open to adopt new techniques but nothing I've seen in this thread has convinced me to deviate from the above.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 4:44:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Serious question here...

Do you do the same with every firearm that has a safety (including bolt rifles, pistols, and shotguns), or just with an AR?
View Quote

Yes. And I went further, every firearm I carry defensively has a safety. I decided to do that not so much because I wanted a safety on everything, but because I have a safety on some things, and I wanted no variation in my muscle memory. No "which gun is it I have today.. is there a safety?" - there's a safety, and I always flip it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 5:29:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I wouldn't know.

I don't carry a personal protection pistol with a safety.

Just  saying.
View Quote

Safety on
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 5:56:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes. And I went further, every firearm I carry defensively has a safety. I decided to do that not so much because I wanted a safety on everything, but because I have a safety on some things, and I wanted no variation in my muscle memory. No "which gun is it I have today.. is there a safety?" - there's a safety, and I always flip it.
View Quote
Beretta 92, 1911, AK pattern, AR15, Remington shotgun, Mossberg shotgun, SxS shotgun with tang safety, Glock, P320, M1903, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, etc.... are all really really different. If you are flipping the safety on all these when you reload God praise to you for knowing every manual of arms under duress.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 6:06:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Safety flicking only works when done in between robotic movements.

I’ve gotten rid of all of my Glocks because none of them had a safety. They were just too dangerous.

Also, when I’m recording myself handling guns, I always perform a safety check for the camera so that the viewers can be safe from ND’s.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 6:11:00 AM EDT
[#14]
If your hand is off the grip, then the safety should be on or the rifle stored unloaded. Otherwise, why?
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 6:24:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 6:27:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 6:29:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I want to see all you safety on people do your speed reloads with an M9
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 6:51:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Don't you sell insurance. Hmm. Can I interest you in some competency?  No? You just said you're going to reload a gun and chamber a round with the safety off in a high stress environment. Would you insure that?
View Quote
We have a new Walmart blade at 45 contender here.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 7:03:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Literally  shocked to see a discussion  here.  Based on the thread title I assumed this was a troll thread.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 7:04:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Depends.  Am I in a firefight?  Will I need to shoot again RFN?  Then it's off.  If I'm plinking/target shooting or on a busy range, it's on.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 7:05:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I just wish op had asked about clip changes.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Off.  Train how you fight.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 7:16:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I thought this was the new standard, safety on during reloads. And, I thought this was discussed and rehashed at least 5 years ago.  I also remember a discussion about this during an old Primary/Secondary podcast and even some of the guys that were trained not to do it agree that they should do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjse5gepntE
View Quote

This is the way, muscle memory. If you are not engaging target, it should be on. YMMV
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 7:32:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Twist rifle to throw mag at next person over to establish dominance. Safety on. Scan left and right. Insert mag. Scan left and right. Hit bolt release. Scan left and right. Flip safety off and immediately back on. Scan left and right. Strike a pose. Repeat from the beginning.

Saves cost in ammo and looks operator AF.

(If I’m ever in a group firefight I hope the people I’m with don’t do something ridiculous like putting the safety on in an active engagement situation during a mag change.)
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#25]
I engage the safety while transitioning between targets in an array.

One can never be too safe.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 7:43:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Safety flicking only works when done in between robotic movements.

I’ve gotten rid of all of my Glocks because none of them had a safety. They were just too dangerous.

Also, when I’m recording myself handling guns, I always perform a safety check for the camera so that the viewers can be safe from ND’s.
View Quote

I haven't lost my sense of humor, have I?
... what you wrote is sarcasm... isn't it?
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I put the safety on in between shots. I've worn out 3 safety switches so far on my AR, but gun safety is Paramount.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Maybe it makes sense for a paper punching range toy

But on reliable rifles the safety stops you from chambering the first round
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:00:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Safety on.  While competition may not require it, competition rules are not real.  Most people who carry a rifle professionally have to work around standards, policies, procedures and norms that dictate this decision.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I put the safety on in between shots. I've worn out 3 safety switches so far on my AR, but gun safety is Paramount.
View Quote
I use a chamber flag when reloading and have an RO verify it's clear.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the way, buncha amateurs all up in this thread…
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If I'm going to keep the gun pointed at the target it's not going on safe. If it's coming off target then it's on safe.

That's because it keeps my muscle memory simple: on target, off safe / off target, on safe in all situations
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Gun is empty, why put it on safe?
View Quote

You only reload when the gun is empty?

You're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That. Retarded government nonsense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m not putting the safety on for mag changes. How stupid

That. Retarded government nonsense.

Rifle Shooting Drill. Mag Change. Athlon Outdoors Ballistic magazine
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Empty = emergency reload = no safety.  I'm only emergency loading because I ran the gun dry and am actively under threat.

Bullets still in mag but getting low + a few moments + cover = tactical reload = safety can go on.  It probably is already on in that scenario.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#36]
for the OP - do you turn on the safety when you do make changes for your pistol? (whether it be a 1911 or a Glock).
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You should get better instructors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve never taken a single class in which a single instructor thought it was a good idea to engage the safety on mag changes.

You should get better instructors.

@MadMonkey

+1

I’ve taken classes at Sig Sauer Academy since 2003 and every instructor has taught safety on during mag changes.  Almost all of them have been current/former LEO or current/former military, many of them both.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#38]
On for me because that’s how I was trained. Ive done enough repetitions that I don’t have to think about it. I only have relevant training with M16/M4, but I can flip the safety off quicker than my support hand can get back on the forend every time, regardless of the scenario.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Depends.  Am I in a firefight?  Will I need to shoot again RFN?  Then it's off.  If I'm plinking/target shooting or on a busy range, it's on.
View Quote

This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Off.  Train how you fight.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And if you're doing it fast adding unnecessary administrative movements is going to be awesome.
View Quote
And who is adding unnecessary "administrative" movements?

If you run dry, then your safety is gonna be off. Leave it off and change mags.

If there is a lull, chances are you are moving or stationary behind cover and have already gone back to safe. Leave it on and top off. If for whatever reason you are not stationary or moving, then leave it off and top if you want.

Im not real sure what you're so confused about or even going on about. I in no way suggested doing anything that isn't already widely accepted practice or how circumstances would end up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The thread was about magazine changes or reloading.
View Quote

Yes, which means you put the safety on. Fuck this isn’t hard.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This is my rifle of choice. Do I still follow safety on or off during mag changes?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346870/PSA-Type-56-feature_jpg-2854233.JPG
View Quote

Stop using trash.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Twist rifle to throw mag at next person over to establish dominance. Safety on. Scan left and right. Insert mag. Scan left and right. Hit bolt release. Scan left and right. Flip safety off and immediately back on. Scan left and right. Strike a pose. Repeat from the beginning.

Saves cost in ammo and looks operator AF.

(If I’m ever in a group firefight I hope the people I’m with don’t do something ridiculous like putting the safety on in an active engagement situation during a mag change.)
View Quote

If I'm ever in a group firefight I hope they do but I know their 3D printed gats will be too busy falling apart to get that far into winning.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 9:38:59 AM EDT
[#45]
I put safety on when changing mag and when ever not ready to shoot.
But my AR is an open bolt MG. Mac10 lage ar upper so different animal
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Emergency reload = no safety. Just one more thing to possibly fuck up if you are in a gunfight. I'm quicker not using it, even though people tell me I can be as quick if I use the safety. Don't care. Muzzle is downrange toward the threat AND my finger is off the trigger during the reload.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
it was never on to begin with
View Quote

My man.....
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This is my rifle of choice. Do I still follow safety on or off during mag changes?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346870/PSA-Type-56-feature_jpg-2854233.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It doesn't matter; the trash can will catch any NDs caused by tripping while reloading on the move.

Quoted:
Beretta 92, 1911, AK pattern, AR15, Remington shotgun, Mossberg shotgun, SxS shotgun with tang safety, Glock, P320, M1903, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, etc.... are all really really different. If you are flipping the safety on all these when you reload God praise to you for knowing every manual of arms under duress.

Personally I don't use the safety while reloading because I alternate between training with AR and an 1866 Chassepot and I want to keep a consistent manual of arms. Some people might say that it's stupid to train to fight with both a modern, highly ergonomic rifle and an antique, but I do it anyway.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#49]

Not me, I want to slap people when they call a magazine a clip.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#50]
With an AR, it’s just become muscle memory to safe the gun after I’m done pulling the trigger, so that’s what I do.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top