BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 7:01:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're certainly good at selling to others on the site!
View Quote

I do my best
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Looking back on this thread I wish I had just answered "Shotguns are ok if that's what you have but rifles are better" and quit.

Can we argue about something else now? Debate is fun and interesting, but this one has run it's course.

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Looking back on this thread I wish I had just answered "Shotguns are ok if that's what you have but rifles are better" and quit.

Can we argue about something else now? Debate is fun and interesting, but this one has run it's course.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/492720/E43CC0B4-7F6F-44DA-A7F5-F218CAD2DC5B_png-2277672.JPG

I love sausage.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
  Well to be fair, it's not been much of a debate. It's mostly Shot Heads throwing tired and worn out talking points vs Righteous Rifle Rangers recycling quotes (ie: screaming fucking nightmare or simply Gothic) from previous "debates" and ridiculing Shot Heads.
   Shotguns are far from useless for HD, but an AR with a 30 round mag is superior, IMHO. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Shotguns are fine.  MAC sucks.
View Quote

STUPIDITY on an unprecedented level from MAC.... ask someone from authority like Clint Smith...

MAC has a couple of 'valid' points like fine motor skills and loading..... but as far as someone grabbing and disarming you... grab the front of a barrel and see how that works out for you...
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

STUPIDITY on an unprecedented level from MAC.... ask someone from authority like Clint Smith...

MAC has a couple of 'valid' points like fine motor skills and loading..... but as far as someone grabbing and disarming you... grab the front of a barrel and see how that works out for you...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad guys grabbing the barrel is the reason I keep a bayonet on my home defense rifle, and encourage others to as well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Bad guys grabbing the barrel is the reason I keep a bayonet on my home defense rifle, and encourage others to as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many people have a sharp enough bayonet to make the bad guy let go?

Every bayonet I've seen was so dull a butter knife would be an improvement.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well most bayonets are kept as historical curiosities. The owners have no practical need for sharpening them, and it is sometimes seen as a detractor of collector value.

My M7s are kept quite sharp.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Astroglide on the barrel works too
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I read through the first three pages of this discussion, and the consensus seems to be that the youtube poster is full of crap and is click bait.
I too, quit watching him after the SVD fiasco, and have removed his channel from my subscription list.

Anyway in the true arfcom way, I have both.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm trying to figure out how to put a super stabby on the end of my shotgun... :)

Just get a Mossberg.

https://www.lockharttactical.com/media/com_hikashop/upload/3-0130326_1.jpg
I was at some shitty gunstore in Birmingham about 15 years ago and they were totally recommending a shotgun with lug for a guys first home defense gun because you could mount a bayonet on it lol. But you wouldn't need to shoot anyone because they'd hear you rack the slide and see the bayonet and shit their pants and run away! They also told me 5.7x28 was totally illegal and there was no reason I need such a dangerous round or guns like the FiveseveN or PS90.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Astroglide on the barrel works too
View Quote

Or, if you don't want them to get away, KY Silk.  That shit gets sticky riki-tik.
"Now yous can't leave"

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Clint smith is practically senile

he's no more an authority than MAC is

and I think MAC is a dishonest shithead, so that shows how I fell about Clint
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There is a 1400 FPS flight control 00 Buck? That would definitely enhance reliability in my M1S90. Do you have the SKU number?
View Quote

Never said it was a FCW but plenty of loads out there. 1400 FPS
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

00 buck is soft lead spheres. That is not a very ballisticly effecient projectile shape or construction.

Sure there are some brands that do plated buckshot, but its still a round ball.

Neither are going to cause hydrostatic shock, 00 bucks only saving grace is you get 7-8 more projectiles.
View Quote

The range is going to be less than 40 feet in the home.  No one cares about BE.   His claim was 00 buck is LESS powerful than 32 ACP which is flat out ridiculous.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well most bayonets are kept as historical curiosities. The owners have no practical need for sharpening them, and it is sometimes seen as a detractor of collector value.

View Quote

LOL, during the cold war, every bayonet I touched was dull and the units had policies prohibiting sharpening them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

LOL, during the cold war, every bayonet I touched was dull and the units had policies prohibiting sharpening them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's unfortunate. Luckily I am not bound by any such policy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Why have 8 shots when you can have 18 or 30?
View Quote

If you think this is going to be a gun battle, then yes a rifle is better? Do not underestimate a man with a shotgun.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you think this is going to be a gun battle, then yes a rifle is better? Do not underestimate a man with a shotgun.
View Quote

Especially if he’s a hobo
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Thread is inspiring me to buy a SBS based on a Turkish M4 clone
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

It ran its course like 15 years ago. We're old.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 5:40:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Federal FC  le127 00 9 pellet 00 1325 fps.
Hornady Critical Defense 00 8 pellet 1600 fps.  Has same wad as Federal FC.

I went with a reduced power recoil spring to get my M1 to work with Federal 8 pellet FC, which is 1145 fps if memory serves.

My LTT1301 is still so new I don’t have much experience with it yet, but both full power and reduced power buck cycle reliably, and have similar felt recoil.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Inside a car with no ear pro sucks though
View Quote

Once when I was using the drop gate on my jeep for a portable shooting rest I fired 1 shot from my 300 win mag while it was basically in the vehicle with me, and I had forgotten to put in my ear plugs. Only 1 time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The range is going to be less than 40 feet in the home.  No one cares about BE.   His claim was 00 buck is LESS powerful than 32 ACP which is flat out ridiculous.
View Quote

"His", IE, my, clam that ONE PELLET from 00 buck is ballistically similar to .32acp is accurate.

No shit a full load of buck is more powerful than a single round of .32acp
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
  Well to be fair, it's not been much of a debate. It's mostly Shot Heads throwing tired and worn out talking points vs Righteous Rifle Rangers recycling quotes (ie: screaming fucking nightmare or simply Gothic) from previous "debates" and ridiculing Shot Heads.
   Shotguns are far from useless for HD, but an AR with a 30 round mag is superior, IMHO. YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An artist always appreciates when his work has been recognized.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thread is inspiring me to remember that shoguns are gross.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Talk about desperate for views definitely not watching that

Shotguns, pistols and rifles are all good choices ….. what a clown
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:58:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most bayonets are issued dull, it's the soldier's duty to sharpen it. Then again, possession of a sharp bayonet gets you the death penalty if you're on the losing side at Nuremberg.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't know if anybody posted this but I already knew what a shotgun could do with 1 trigger pull. But this really made me not want to get hit. It's pretty scary.

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

00 buck is soft lead spheres. That is not a very ballisticly effecient projectile shape or construction.

Sure there are some brands that do plated buckshot, but its still a round ball.

Neither are going to cause hydrostatic shock, 00 bucks only saving grace is you get 7-8 more projectiles.

In all reality, each pellet as a single projectile does have less energy than .32. If the muzzle energy is 1600ish foot pounds, that energy is divided by nine pieces.

If one buckshot hits the bad guy, there isn't much energy transferred.

From what I've seen on the range some shooters will have to be pretty fucking lucky for that one buckshot to hit.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

In all reality, each pellet as a single projectile does have less energy than .32. If the muzzle energy is 1600ish foot pounds, that energy is divided by nine pieces.

If one buckshot hits the bad guy, there isn't much energy transferred.

From what I've seen on the range some shooters will have to be pretty fucking lucky for that one buckshot to hit.
View Quote

In reality, these anti shotgun posts like yours is fiction more than fact in an argument that goes nowhere. Like another member said, 15 years and you're all still arguing this as if this time you are in fact are going to change minds?

Rifles are better, this is known. But shotguns to those who prefer them can still work so long as the right projectile is being used. I refuse to use them because one, I'm not trained and two, pumps are gross and I really don't want to buy an expensive 1301 or add another caliber to my stash.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-resident-grabs-shotgun-shoots-kills-home-invaders/story?id=67899837
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Nothing wrong with a shotgun for HD.

Just the fan boys swinging their purses that think otherwise...

9mm vs 5.56 vs 12 ga. (00)  on a Pig's head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qFSzuUm9-Y
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
AR15's are better for home defense.  However shotguns do have a place.  You can get cheap reliable pump shotguns for those that cannot afford an ar15, and shotguns > handguns.
View Quote
The only issue I have with shotguns for Home Defense is that they require a certain amount of experience to use well, vs an AR whom I can teach anyone to use pretty quick.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meh, shotguns are better. I've used both

If you've never used both then you don't really know what you don't know
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I enjoyed it when it came out. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
MAC is a hack
View Quote

Yep, fuck that guy.

In order to get a positive review you have to bribe or pay him.

Not to mention his recent shady shenanigans.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Rifle > Shotgun > Handgun

Can we move on now?
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ltlabner works in retardation.  He's about to paint his masterpiece.
Man on fire - Creasy's art is death

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What kind of shotgun is that?

Is it 12 gauge, 16 gauge, 20 gauge, or 28gauge?

What choke do you run: full, modified, improved, other?

View Quote

444 gauge, fully rifled.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Rifle > Shotgun > Handgun

Can we move on now?
View Quote

You can anytime you want…there is a vast amount of other threads you can visit …
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I’ve discharged infinite rifle rounds inside houses. It’s fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can tell which people have zero real world experience with discharging rifles inside a house.

I’ve discharged infinite rifle rounds inside houses. It’s fine.

WHAT!?!?!? EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've used both. I think you mean in combat, so you have me there. But I have trained with both.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This.  New tech doesn't make old tech less effective in absolute terms.  It just provides better options that make the old tech a less attractive choice in relative terms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They don't suck for home defense.  Rifles are just better.

This.  New tech doesn't make old tech less effective in absolute terms.  It just provides better options that make the old tech a less attractive choice in relative terms.

That relativity is the grind here.

Nearly all descriptions are relative. You cannot have big without small. Most things are described in relation to other things of the same sort.

Take, for example, 1960s muscle cars. A whole lot of people still think of them as "fast," but if you compare stock to stock, most would get completely outclassed by something as mundane as a V6 Camry/Accord. Those muscle cars have a massive cool factor, but that cool factor doesn't help with lap times or longevity over 200k+ miles. They're cool, and yet objectively, when it comes to any actual application... they suck.

That brings us back to shotguns. They have absolutely massive limitations compared to modern rifles. They have a very short range, the capacity is low, they're slow to load, and there's enough recoil that it's a big hindrance. People like to play this down, but the reality is, there are millions of people in this country that cannot handle the recoil of 12ga, and no matter how big and manly you are, and no matter how fast and awesome your shotgun is, you will always be slower with 12ga than you will with a rifle.

For all those limitations, what do you get in return? Considering how 5.56 and 7.62x39 have been stacking bodies at close to intermediate distances effectively for 50+ years, any argument about terminal ballistic superiority is pretty much out the window. Dead is dead, and a more powerful cartridge doesn't make a threat dead-er-er. That pretty much leaves financial and legislative limitations as the only advantage shotguns actually have. If you aren't bound by those limitations, there's no reason to voluntarily submit yourself to the limitations of a shotgun.

Shotguns are cool. Shotguns are fun. Shotguns are still the proper tool for shooting targets in the air, some small game, and even breaching. But as defensive firearms, shotguns are unquestionably and undeniably inferior to rifles by a very significant and meaningful margin. Does that mean they "suck?" Well...
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That relativity is the grind here.

Nearly all descriptions are relative. You cannot have big without small. Most things are described in relation to other things of the same sort.

Take, for example, 1960s muscle cars. A whole lot of people still think of them as "fast," but if you compare stock to stock, most would get completely outclassed by something as mundane as a V6 Camry/Accord. Those muscle cars have a massive cool factor, but that cool factor doesn't help with lap times or longevity over 200k+ miles. They're cool, and yet objectively, when it comes to any actual application... they suck.

That brings us back to shotguns. They have absolutely massive limitations compared to modern rifles. They have a very short range, the capacity is low, they're slow to load, and there's enough recoil that it's a big hindrance. People like to play this down, but the reality is, there are millions of people in this country that cannot handle the recoil of 12ga, and no matter how big and manly you are, and no matter how fast and awesome your shotgun is, you will always be slower with 12ga than you will with a rifle.

For all those limitations, what do you get in return? Considering how 5.56 and 7.62x39 have been stacking bodies at close to intermediate distances effectively for 50+ years, any argument about terminal ballistic superiority is pretty much out the window. Dead is dead, and a more powerful cartridge doesn't make a threat dead-er-er. That pretty much leaves financial and legislative limitations as the only advantage shotguns actually have. If you aren't bound by those limitations, there's no reason to voluntarily submit yourself to the limitations of a shotgun.

Shotguns are cool. Shotguns are fun. Shotguns are still the proper tool for shooting targets in the air, some small game, and even breaching. But as defensive firearms, shotguns are unquestionably and undeniably inferior to rifles by a very significant and meaningful margin. Does that mean they "suck?" Well...
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top