User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/3CbAxSp.jpg

If you don't use the NATO phonetic alphabet, you end up with confusing shit like this.
View Quote
lol, I have to print that and use it next time I'm calling a net.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#2]
P as in Phlegm, W was in wright, T as in thank you for your service, A as in aether
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quit judging people and k.i.s.s. we only need one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#5]
What's going on in here?

-Whiskey T. Foxtrot
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The only stupid thing about it is that there are two phonetic alphabets. Just use the NATO one and skip the Boy Tom David bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a guy in the office, not really a stolen valor guy but he definitely wears camo outside of the office.

He is sorta autistic when it comes to military and history stuff. So I kinda just think he is a militaria buff and dont think much of it.

However  when on the phone with customers and going over catalog numbers and sales numbers, its all military phonetic alphabet. There are times where I swear he is calling in air support or an artillery attack.

No one else in the office has issues speaking with customers and none of us need to rattle off sierra, foxtrot zulu all day, not sure why he does. I feel like this is confusing to customers, especially those that have no idea whiskey  tango foxtrot he is talking about.

ETA....going to add the civilian vs military phonetic alphabet

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58463/27e0f11f3f6aeb9ba4897ea3a5e80f4f-965328.png
View Quote
lol, he thinks those are military phonetics....
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Its called the ITU Phonetic Alphatbet, and Yeah, I need to use it.  Deal with it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#9]
You know why I use the NATO phonetic alphabet? Because I work with a lot of non-native, English as a second language people.

"George" for G is pants-on-head retarded; might as well just hang up the phone if you were speaking with Jorge.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Mike
Yankee
Oscar
Bravo
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Allowed?  Do you hate the right of expression?  You some kind of language commie?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Here you go, OP:
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#13]
So I can't say "Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform" anymore?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Stolen voweler.
View Quote
Well done!
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a guy in the office, not really a stolen valor guy but he definitely wears camo outside of the office.

He is sorta autistic when it comes to military and history stuff. So I kinda just think he is a militaria buff and dont think much of it.

However  when on the phone with customers and going over catalog numbers and sales numbers, its all military phonetic alphabet. There are times where I swear he is calling in air support or an artillery attack.

No one else in the office has issues speaking with customers and none of us need to rattle off sierra, foxtrot zulu all day, not sure why he does. I feel like this is confusing to customers, especially those that have no idea whiskey  tango foxtrot he is talking about.

ETA....going to add the civilian vs military phonetic alphabet

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58463/27e0f11f3f6aeb9ba4897ea3a5e80f4f-965328.png
View Quote
I'm sure somebody has mentioned it already, but I'm positive you're required to use the Military/NATO standard phonetic alphabet in the aviation industry per FAA regulation, at least for pilots.  I'm not sure, but I'm guessing they might require it in the maritime/shipping industries too.  Heck, I think they even covered it in the HAM radio class I took years ago.

Granted, the customers might not understand him, what industry are we talking about?

Also, I have never seen that 'civilian' phonetic alphabet.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Also, I have never seen that 'civilian' phonetic alphabet.
View Quote
I presume he's talking about the APCO phonetic alphabet used by police departments in many jurisdictions in the US:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APCO_radiotelephony_spelling_alphabet
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#17]
F. F. S.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I learned the NATO phonetic alphabet in high school in an aviation class.  Never been in the military but I still use it regularly.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#19]
F. F. S.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Stolen voweler.
View Quote
Man that’s gold!
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#21]
so what else do you think us non military folks shouldnt be allowed to do?

I wear green socks sometimes, is that allowed?

sometime i hunt in camo clothing.  is that verboten?

I sure dont want to offend anyone.  especially  the people in uniform by  
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I wish more people would use it. Same as to stop calling "0" the number as "oh" like the letter.

You do realize that the 24 hour system was invented for train schedules. Also that in many places, like in Mexico, it is used in everyday life.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Just finished reading the entire thread, definitely agree with the sentiment of, "Why do you want two competing standards?"

Another thought though:  Isn't anything the U.S. government comes up with public domain (unless its classified obviously)?  If so, then even if the U.S. military invented this (or any other) phonetic alphabet, it would be free for anybody to use.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#24]
why not, I supose you object to them using 24h/Military time.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I presume he's talking about the APCO phonetic alphabet used by police departments in many jurisdictions in the US:
View Quote
Okay, that clears things up a little.  Still, that system has got to be either dead or dying, right?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Tell it to this guy

Link Posted: 6/1/2019 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
F. F. S.
View Quote
"I say again, COMMANDO!"

(Well, you posted it twice).
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#28]
OP went off his anti-anxiety drugs. Seeing as how the military doesn't own the phonics alphabet, there is no problem. Take your meds and relax. Mike Yankee Oscar Bravo is a better strategy than getting wound up over really stupid, petty stuff. So you got your civilian/military chart out of a comic book or a box of Cracker Jacks?

He can wear all the army surplus he wants too. There is no law saying he can't.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I do it daily. Makes things crystal clear. I'm also an Amateur Radio operator so there is that...
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I do a lot of parts ordering at work that required numbers and letters. I use whatever comes to mind and tends to be a mix of everything. Mostly names.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#32]
"Alpha Tango Tango Echo Tango Alpha."

https://youtu.be/ES7dzIXMCrs
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes.  And use 24 hr time.  And YYYYMMDD.  It makes life sooo much fucking easier.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Not sure if OP is totally ignorant of the civilian history of the International Civil Aviation Organization phonetic alphabet or is just trolling really hard.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It’s only weird if he also says tree, fowr, fife, niner and gets pissed when people ask him to “repeat” himself.
View Quote
Friggin 20+ years alter and I still catch myself saying 'fife'
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 10:19:06 PM EDT
[#36]
I was taught the phonetic alphabet when I was in the service 50 years ago.  When I left the service, they did a cranial operation on me to eliminate that and anything else I learned while I was in.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yes.  And use 24 hr time.  And YYYYMMDD.  It makes life sooo much fucking easier.
View Quote
i used to hate it.  then i had to build a dbase with date-indexed docs covering a 50 year period.

i'm now a believer.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#38]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Code_of_Signals
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
i used to hate it.  then i had to build a dbase with date-indexed docs covering a 50 year period.

i'm now a believer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i'm now a believer.
Agreed.

What drives me crazy is the confusion that can arise when you don't know if someone is using a MM/DD/YY format, or a DD/MM/YY format.

Example:

Is 01/09/18 January 9th of 2018, or September 1st of 2018?

Most Americans "assume" that it is MM/DD/YY but that is not always the case.

I liked the precision of military DTGs (Date Time Groups).  It even uses a suffix ("Z" or "L") so you know if an event was Zulu time (GMT) or local time.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#40]
IDRGAFWOPD
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
IDRGAFWOPD
View Quote
IODITATTBMG.

(I only do if they are trying to ban my guns).
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 10:38:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
NATO phonetic alphabet and 24 hour clock because I am in transportation.

YYYYMMDD because it sorts correctly with no need to grok the concept of dates.  But I thought US DOD used DD-mmm-YYYY, with a three-letter abbreviation for the month.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
so what else do you think us non military folks shouldnt be allowed to do?

I wear green socks sometimes, is that allowed?

sometime i hunt in camo clothing.  is that verboten?

I sure dont want to offend anyone.  especially  the people in uniform by  
View Quote
Oh, believe me. The OP is the only person who is offended...
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

YYYYMMDD because it sorts correctly with no need to grok the concept of dates.  But I thought US DOD used DD-mmm-YYYY, with a three-letter abbreviation for the month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you have me wondering since I actually don't remember anymore.

"DTG" is date time group, but IIRC I think time came first, then date.

Example:

2359Z24DEC2018 = Christmas Eve at one minute before midnight, GMT.

Might have been date first though:

24DEC20182359Z.

I think it was the former though (time first).

Someone please clarify my memory, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Airline pilot.

Tango Lima; Delta Romeo

Foxtrot Yankee, Oscar Papa.

TC
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 11:00:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
I can envision just how that came about.

Lt: "Hey sarge, get in here."

Sarge: {what now} "Coming lieut."

Lt: "I see the army is using words for letters to reduce confusion on the radio, see what you can come up with for us."

Sarge: {Why not just use the military phonetics} "Ok."

Adam, Boy, Charles...
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Tango Yankee Foxtrot Yankee Sierra.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Agreed.

What drives me crazy is the confusion that can arise when you don't know if someone is using a MM/DD/YY format, or a DD/MM/YY format.

Example:

I liked the precision of military DTGs (Date Time Groups).  It even uses a suffix ("Z" or "L") so you know if an event was Zulu time (GMT) or local time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i'm now a believer.
Agreed.

Example:

A well known public safety software used a number field for time entry, and allowed 2400 to be inputted. Try doing any time study with that mess.

I also used to joke that since the police department was "quasi-military" they should use quasi-military time like 17:00PM. Guess how that major department set up their overtime tracking.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 11:14:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Did anyone make a STOLEN VOWEL joke yet?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 11:31:56 PM EDT
[#50]

Of all the things to concern yourself with you picked this one?
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top