BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just as an FYI, a Model 36 in stainless is a Model 60.
View Quote

I thought a 60 = 357.

I’m not S&W model junky tho.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I thought a 60 = 357.

I'm not S&W model junky tho.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought a 60 = 357.

Current production Model 60 is .357 magnum, but originally was .38 Special. Smith & Wesson changed all of their all-steel .38 Special J-frames to .357 Magnum back in the late 1990's. They kept the name/numbers the same. That is why one cannot buy a new all-steel J-frame in .38 Special anymore.

Model 60
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I did the stag work on both.

https://i.imgur.com/7pAVc6Y.jpg
View Quote

Very nice
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah I would say those 255 SWCs are going to feel like getting hit by a dump truck!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Online, yes.

I only load my own anyways

Rimrock makes great bullets and typically has the best price

That is who I get my bullets from typically.

I am going to load up a batch for some friends.

I just got done loading a big batch of 9mm  Rim Rock 147 grain  hard cast "Outdoorsman" loads in new brass that push 1100 FPS in G34s, 1075 in G17s. After reading up on how successfully that bullet had been used in AK on bruins, and how it penetrated feet rather than inches like typical JHPs do. I figured I would give them a try.

Ends up they also penetrate car windshields too, and the pallet holding it up as well.

Pretty good stuff given our current climate of unrest. I could not afford the boutique shop stuff, so I started rolling my own, and have made a couple thousand so far.

https://i.imgur.com/YeqtqqV.jpg

Nice. Thats a pretty solid load and probably the best 9mm bullet for that job

Thats one of the reasons i started loading 255gr swc for my 1911s.

Besides woods use, people are actively fighting in the streets. I want to deny them cover

Yeah I would say those 255 SWCs are going to feel like getting hit by a dump truck!

I cant believe how easy it was to get 850fps.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted: Is there any charter arms love in the house?

Just got a spread sheet on there public safety pricing and as cheap as they are I need to buy 2 or 3.
View Quote

Bought the Southpaw for the boy last year.  Kicks like a mule.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Bought the Southpaw for the boy last year.  Kicks like a mule.
View Quote

38 or 357?
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#7]
After practice today.  Wish Ruger would make the 9x19mm in a 3":

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84655/IMG_20200910_201024_jpg-1586588.JPG
View Quote
Is that a revolver in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

38 or 357?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Bought the Southpaw for the boy last year.  Kicks like a mule.

38 or 357?

.38.  I don't think Charter makes their all aluminum frames in .357.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  Is that a revolver in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
View Quote

Thanks very much for the ammo.  Tried the .32 in both pockets and can hit, but very unreliable.  Am packing the last 8 round nose FMJs you sent me right now.

Ran the SP 101 through her paces, other than the rough cylinder not wanting to eject steel, she works fine in the pocket or without.  Come winter we'll see how much lint I accumulate.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks very much for the ammo.  Tried the .32 in both pockets and can hit, but very unreliable.  Am packing the last 8 round nose FMJs you sent me right now.

Ran the SP 101 through her paces, other than the rough cylinder not wanting to eject steel, she works fine in the pocket or without.  Come winter we'll see how much lint I accumulate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Is that a revolver in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Glad someone could use the ammo.

When I did the pocket test, I found the Shrouded hammer Bodyguard caught pocket material between the hammer and frame about once per cylinder. The regular hammer revolver either caught the hammer spur or pocket material between the hammer and frame more often than not. The concealed hammer Centennial was the only revolver reliable for repeated shots.

I was honestly surprised with the Bodyguard. I thought it would have done better.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  Glad someone could use the ammo.

When I did the pocket test, I found the Shrouded hammer Bodyguard caught pocket material between the hammer and frame about once per cylinder. The regular hammer revolver either caught the hammer spur or pocket material between the hammer and frame more often than not. The concealed hammer Centennial was the only revolver reliable for repeated shots.

I was honestly surprised with the Bodyguard. I thought it would have done better.
View Quote

I think it's entirely down to the pocket.  I'm not getting any catching in the pocket w/ the SP 101 hammer.  We'll see this winter.  I was getting hot on the indoor range today wearing the jumper.  Not only have I shot the pockets all to hell, I realized tonight I put a round through the zipper.

Yeah, my dream revolver has been a 3" 49 in 9x19mm.  Smith makes the Centennial in 9x19mm, will have to consider.  There's no need for SA in a pocket.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I bought that 36-6 new many years ago.  I thought it was the best looking 36 I'd ever seen.  
Later a buddy of mine who collects S&W revolvers told me how rare it is. I could be wrong
but I think it was made one year in the black finish and one year in stainless.

View Quote

The 3” adjustable sight model 60 has been made in at least two versions, 38 and 357 and is MUCH more common. I’ll try to remember to look up the production numbers on the 36-6 in my S&W bible.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The 3” adjustable sight model 60 has been made in at least two versions, 38 and 357 and is MUCH more common. I’ll try to remember to look up the production numbers on the 36-6 in my S&W bible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought that 36-6 new many years ago.  I thought it was the best looking 36 I'd ever seen.  
Later a buddy of mine who collects S&W revolvers told me how rare it is. I could be wrong

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#15]
My 66-2 .357 Magnum snubbie, made in 1982 and in mint condition.

Grips = Custom combat burlwood teal, from the master himself, John Culina.

Shoulder rig = custom made by Rudy Lozano of Black Hills Leather in Laredo, TX.

Pic = from an "Aimless challenge" a few months ago, LOL!

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
But are 3" really snub nosed?
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 12:17:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  But are 3" really snub nosed?
View Quote

Don't care.  J-frame sized revolvers in centerfire need all the weight they can get.  Get bigger pockets.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 12:30:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wish Ruger would make a 3" LCR in 9mm, as well as the same in 6 shot .327 mag. Especially the 3" .327 LCR. I know they want people to buy the more expensive SP101, but I will never buy another SP101 after the overly heavy and large one I got in the past. I like the LCR though, perfect size and weight for a small revolver, and I want a 3" LCRx in either 9mm or .327.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's one of the more..."unusual"...gun pics we've seen around this place!
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 1:20:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  After practice today.  Wish Ruger would make the 9x19mm in a 3":

I posted in the pocket J-frame holster thread & said the point of a pocket revolver was to shoot it through the pocket, and someone poo poohed me and said I'd catch myself on fire.

No, it works, you can hit a silhouette target, and it's the last refuge of the revolver.  In almost every other case, you're better off w/ a modern semi-auto than a revolver.  But shooting from a pocket or purse, you're better off w/ the revolver.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 1:28:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Very nice
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 1:29:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That is why one cannot buy a new all-steel J-frame in .38 Special anymore.

Model 60
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Model 36 Classic

Although I suppose you're kinda right, since one can't buy ANY sort of J frame anymore. Or I'd be joining you guys with some pics.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 2:12:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 442 gets carried a lot.  The 3" model 36 spends most
of its time in the safe these days.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/233426/image_jpeg-1584740.JPG

Your 36-6 is a rare bird.

Very rare indeed. Wish I had one

Yeah, what was I thinking.  My first snub nose was a 60 that I carried in an ankle holster
as a BUG for a few years.  

I was thinking Smith made a stainless 5 shot with the same 3" underlug barrel and adjustable
sights as my 36-6.  Maybe it was a 60-6?
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 3:15:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Current production Model 60 is .357 magnum, but originally was .38 Special. Smith & Wesson changed all of their all-steel .38 Special J-frames to .357 Magnum back in the late 1990's. They kept the name/numbers the same. That is why one cannot buy a new all-steel J-frame in .38 Special anymore.

Model 60
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought a 60 = 357.

Model 60

I did not know that.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 4:41:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Well this would be the thread to hash this out.   What should we all be carrying in our .38 snubs?
View Quote

I use Buffalo Bore 158gr +P low-flash soft lead hollow points.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=108

In my Kimber K6 these are quite comfortable to shoot, while delivering something close to light 357 magnum performance.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/tumblr_inline_n5u0xtXbcw1ryxhvf_zpsoiemfgn1-120.jpg

Model 36 Classic

Although I suppose you're kinda right, since one can't buy ANY sort of J frame anymore. Or I'd be joining you guys with some pics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is why one cannot buy a new all-steel J-frame in .38 Special anymore.

Model 60

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/tumblr_inline_n5u0xtXbcw1ryxhvf_zpsoiemfgn1-120.jpg

Model 36 Classic

642 NO LOCK!
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Ok, ya got me that was a bit of an exaggeration. I can find what I want with a bit of time on Google, but a new S&W 27 was higher on the buy list this time. Still not like a year ago where you could just walk into any random gun shop on a whim and have a pretty good chance of seeing a couple J frames under the glass. Not anymore around here.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File

Hornady +P 110gr FTX.

My previous snub was a 60’s Colt Agent, carried it for years with Cor-Bon .38 +P+ 158 soft lead HP’s, the so-called ‘Toronto’ load, 1,000 FPS from a four-inch barrel. I fired one cylinder through it to confirm POA and practiced with plain RNL. Traded it along with a Detroit PD marked Official Police with about 25% finish for a pair of NIB Ruger Bisley Vaqueros about ten years ago.

Wife bought me the 442 about five years ago. We were in Lexington meeting a friend for dinner and stopped at Bud’s to grab a couple cases of cheap 9mm for a pistol class. $279, no lock. I’d just finished my first year back in college and had all A’s, wife had some money left over from her grant and asked what I’d like.

It carries great, keep it in a lockbox threaded through the seat bolts in my jeep when it’s not riding in my pocket. I ran a box of WC’s and a small box of FTX’s through it, and that’s it. I saw the thread on the revolvers page about broken hammer studs and S&W not fixing or replacing them; I know where it hits and I’ll baby it as long as it lasts. Put in a Apex kit along with the extended firing pin, and polished the rebound slide and lubed it with Moly Hi-Slip. It’s my ‘always on me’ gun unless I’m somewhere I can’t legally carry.

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Old guys rollin old school.

John

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#31]

I haven't seen anyone do that since the 1970s.  A cop solution to the pre-rubber grip era.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wish Ruger would make a 3" LCR in 9mm, as well as the same in 6 shot .327 mag. Especially the 3" .327 LCR. I know they want people to buy the more expensive SP101, but I will never buy another SP101 after the overly heavy and large one I got in the past. I like the LCR though, perfect size and weight for a small revolver, and I want a 3" LCRx in either 9mm or .327.
View Quote
 my next snub will probably be a LCR.  I'd love to see Ruger make it a combo with 357 & 9mm cylinder & crane kits.  But I'll probably just get a 38lcr for a lightweight snub. Only a few oz lighter than the scandium jframes at half the price.
Quoted:

I use Buffalo Bore 158gr +P low-flash soft lead hollow points.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=108

In my Kimber K6 these are quite comfortable to shoot, while delivering something close to light 357 magnum performance.
View Quote

I like that load.  I like Underwood as well.  

Both bullets will ding with a thumbnail. And are supersonic in my 16in carbine.
With 22rimfire levels of recoil.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#33]
These first three are my J frames.  I also have a pre lock 317, an 8 shot all aluminum 22.  It kinda sucks to shoot and it may go down the road.

Anyway, top to bottom...

Model 360J, I understand these were an overrun from a Japanese police contract.
Model 442 Pro, this is the I’m currently carrying in a pocket holster
Model 640, this one is a 357 but I only shoot it with 38s

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I pocket carry either of the air weights in a Mika pocket holster.  And I have a Simply Rugged pancake for belt carry of the 640.  You can tell by the new looking holster that I rarely use it.

This pair of Ruger LCRx 38s are my wife’s.  She carries one in her purse and one in her car.  We are working on “on body” carry for her.

And I’ve been using this ammo in all of them lately.

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#35]
... not worn, seldom carried

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Taurus M85

Attachment Attached File

Taurus 651

Attachment Attached File

LCR .38

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
First and only revolver. I got a great deal on it, and even though its a M85 Taurus it works great and has been 100%. I was actually able to find its date of manufacture, which on 04/09/1992.

I made some grips for it, but I didn't do as good of a job as I had wanted so I put the factory ones back on. Once I find a larger antler I'll try again.

https://i.imgflip.com/4eh28r.jpg
https://i.imgflip.com/4eh2na.jpg
View Quote

I had an early stainless M85 with a set of Wolf springs. It had one hell of a trigger and was the perfect pocket revolver.  I let a guy talk me out of it for $350.  Missed it ever since and just bought the S&W Model 60 off the EE to replace it since Taurus copied the 60 to make the 85.  It’s sitting at the PO now to be delivered Monday to my FFL.  My grips arrived today.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Well I was just given a limit of $1400 to spend on a gun as a gift for myself.

I have a the hankering for a wheel gun something that I would normally not go out and buy myself.

Whats are yalls thoughts?

I have a 638, GP100 and Blackhawk 41mag.

Thinking of a Kimber K6s 3" DAO or a S&W M60 2".

Thoughts Ideas?
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have a the hankering for a wheel gun something that I would normally not go out and buy myself.

Thoughts Ideas?
View Quote
Ruger Match Champion, or the Ruger Custom Shop Super GP100 if you like a bigger gun (it's a Redhawk/N-frame in size)

ETA: If you already have a GP100, look at the Super GP100. The Match Champion is nice but with some time and careful work you can make your GP100 just as good.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thoughts Ideas?
View Quote

Quoted:
Ruger Match Champion, or the Ruger Custom Shop Super GP100 if you like a bigger gun (it's a Redhawk/N-frame in size)

ETA: If you already have a GP100, look at the Super GP100. The Match Champion is nice but with some time and careful work you can make your GP100 just as good.
View Quote

I was think more along the lines of a wheel gun that I could carry. I have a 4" 357 and a 1.whatever " 38 J frame.

So was thinking of something like a 2" -3" preferably 357 leaning towards 6 shot. Something in that size frame would bridge the gap between small snubby and duty size revolver.  

I have seen it quite a few times that the K frame 3" 357 are supposed to be the apex in wheel gun carry pieces and that Kimber looks pretty sweet and fits the bill, and is in stock.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I was think more along the lines of a wheel gun that I could carry. I have a 4" 357 and a 1.whatever " 38 J frame.

So was thinking of something like a 2" -3" preferably 357 leaning towards 6 shot. Something in that size frame would bridge the gap between small snubby and duty size revolver.  

I have seen it quite a few times that the K frame 3" 357 are supposed to be the apex in wheel gun carry pieces and that Kimber looks pretty sweet and fits the bill, and is in stock.
View Quote

The kimber is nice. I wouldn't want to shoot a couple hundred rounds of magnums through it though. K frames aren't bad.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#42]
This is a great thread.

Keep them hits rolling.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The kimber is nice. I wouldn't want to shoot a couple hundred rounds of magnums through it though. K frames aren't bad.
View Quote

This is the one I was thinking about. Isn’t k6s and a S&W k frame about the same size?

Attachment Attached File

K6s 3”
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This is the one I was thinking about. Isn’t k6s and a S&W k frame about the same size?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/424008/95C472E4-DC32-4427-8D51-80E7F6489873_png-1605543.JPG

K6s 3”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/424008/95C472E4-DC32-4427-8D51-80E7F6489873_png-1605543.JPG

K6s 3”

I think it's not much bigger than a j frame
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

K6s 3”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

K6s 3”

Revolverguy
Not quite.

Still a great gun though.

Id also look into a colt night cobra.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Revolverguy
Not quite.

Still a great gun though.

Id also look into a colt night cobra.
View Quote

Glad you showed me that. The 3” model in that write up looks retarded. Lol

The 2” looks much better.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts Ideas?

Quoted:

Go handle a Ruger LCRx with the 3" barrel. Only 5 shots, but in additoon to the very low weight it has the nicest trigger you'll find outside a high-end custom wheelgun. I prefer the snub's grip on the longer barrel, but I'm an oddball. I wish I'd kept mine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Go handle a Ruger LCRx with the 3" barrel. Only 5 shots, but in additoon to the very low weight it has the nicest trigger you'll find outside a high-end custom wheelgun. I prefer the snub's grip on the longer barrel, but I'm an oddball. I wish I'd kept mine.
View Quote

That’s has been on the To get list for a while.

But with a $1400ish budget I’m looking at getting something that my normal tight ass wouldn’t buy lol.

The colts I have looked at in passing. Just unsure if the new ones are worth buying.

And smiths seem to be gone across the board.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Thinking Bucheimer but not sure of the model.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top