BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 52
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well, I can tell you, we won't be able to make the tiles match exactly.  Hopefully arfcom won't be too disappointed in our rendering.  I have no illusions about getting them exact.  

The good news is we are proceding with the idea of lights and possible doors opening and closing.  If we cant make the doors open and close, maybe the arm reach out and retract.  We think as long as we run it all in conduit, we will make everyone happy.  They are gathering a list of supplies they need .    Hopefully we can make it happen.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Sounds like a solid approach, but don't get too depressed when you realize that the tiles aren't lined up in any coherent lines to speak of.  The tiles really are one of the most interesting parts of the whole shuttle experience to me; I mean how in the hell did anyone EVER come up with what the individual tile shapes should be?  

Those folks were only working with slide rules and caffeine, for Cripes sake!!!  

Well, I can tell you, we won't be able to make the tiles match exactly.  Hopefully arfcom won't be too disappointed in our rendering.  I have no illusions about getting them exact.  

The good news is we are proceding with the idea of lights and possible doors opening and closing.  If we cant make the doors open and close, maybe the arm reach out and retract.  We think as long as we run it all in conduit, we will make everyone happy.  They are gathering a list of supplies they need .    Hopefully we can make it happen.  

I haven't checked this thread in awhile, ship is looking good!
Yes the crew module windows were of the same size and in simple terms flipped.
The tile patterns were purposely done for leading edge airflow reasons, and what was called the zipper effect. In the event of a loss of a tile only a portion of the leading edge of the tile behind it would see aerodynamic force reducing the possibility of loosing it also and so on. Something the Russians learned the hard way with Boran.
If the doors will be open you should cover the interior of them with silver reflective tape. What you see on the orbiters payload Bay doors are actually radiator panels for electronics heating or cooling to the av bays in the midbody and aft compartment, payload Bay door motors are actually smaller than beer cans driving gear boxes and torque tubes but they only had to work in zero G.
As far as powering your ship, the shuttles each had 3 hydrogen powered fuel cells that provided 100% of the electrical power. Quite efficient and the only by product was clean drinking water, don't know if they make one small enough for yours though.
Awesome project your students have there!
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
On some missions, there was a long retractable solar panel that extended from the cargo bay for additional power - think it extended mission life to 30 days or so...
View Quote

On the dark side of the planet that wont help.......at all.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

My inner 15 year old needs to know... how many times have you had to remove some form of "f" from that sign?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#4]
it's looking really good.

as for the tiles, try to find something that has some depth, or you will lose the 3D definition that the tiles have.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My inner 15 year old needs to know... how many times have you had to remove some form of "f" from that sign?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Surprisingly, none.  But now that you've posed that, I suppose it will happen.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

as for the tiles, try to find something that has some depth, or you will lose the 3D definition that the tiles have.
View Quote

As much of a pain in the ass it will be, I think individual pieces cut out will give the sense of depth you are talking about.  We will see.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:52:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If the doors will be open you should cover the interior of them with silver reflective tape.
View Quote

We were talking about the reflective finish today.    We will probably use aluminum spray paint.    

Also, fascinating details in your post.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Surprisingly, none.  But now that you've posed that, I suppose it will happen.  Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:18:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On some missions, there was a long retractable solar panel that extended from the cargo bay for additional power - think it extended mission life to 30 days or so...

There is no dark side in the moon, really. Matter of fact, it's all dark.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:20:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think the kids are going to change the sign to "arf"?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure that's what phuba was thinking....
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
We were talking about the reflective finish today.    We will probably use aluminum spray paint.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If the doors will be open you should cover the interior of them with silver reflective tape.

would this work?    

VIVOSUN Horticulture Highly Reflective Mylar Film Roll 4FT x 100FT 2 Mil

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Horticulture-Highly-Reflective-Mylar/dp/B018VI77QW/

may be too shiny

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
would this work?    

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Horticulture-Highly-Reflective-Mylar/dp/B018VI77QW/

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/~eUAAOSwawpXvxaL/s-l225.jpg

may be too shiny

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

would this work?    

may be too shiny

I need to look at more photos.  In the one in my OP, it doesn't look real shiny, but that may be the angle.  That film looks pretty cool.

Prime eligible too!  
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I need to look at more photos.  In the one in my OP, it doesn't look real shiny, but that may be the angle.  That film looks pretty cool.

Prime eligible too!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

would this work?    

may be too shiny

Prime eligible too!  

The tape was a little dull, only mirror like from less than half inch away from the surface.

Have you put any thought into the airlock? OV-102 still had an internal airlock installed while OV-103, OV-104 AND OV-105 were external with a docking mechanism.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The tape was a little dull, only mirror like from less than half inch away from the surface.

Have you put any thought into the airlock? OV-102 still had an internal airlock installed while OV-103, OV-104 AND OV-105 were external with a docking mechanism.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

would this work?    

may be too shiny

Prime eligible too!  

If the airlock is the funny thing in the bay behind the cabin, yes, we were thinking that was going to be a lot of work.  We were examining all the details in the cargo bay, trying to think about how to show as many as possible.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#18]
If you wanted to use the black mat to save time, I would score it with a Logan Compact Classic Mat Cutter that has a 30 degree blade angle. Set the blade so that it doesn't cut very deep. Cut one line. Flip the mat around and do it again. With some practice you should be able to create the depth element you're looking for very quickly.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

A simpler plan of attack would be to sheet the bottom half in black, then 'draw' on the tile lines with Elmer's White Glue, which will dry to leave nice little ridges and can be quite a bit more complex than cuts.   Cover it in satin black spray paint when the tile lines are right.    

Then give a kid you dislike a box of Wax Pensils/China Markers, White in color, and have him start using the worlds smallest stencils.  Or freehand, whichever.

Plenty of opportunity to have messages hidden in the tile "numbers".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As much of a pain in the ass it will be, I think individual pieces cut out will give the sense of depth you are talking about.  We will see.

A simpler plan of attack would be to sheet the bottom half in black, then 'draw' on the tile lines with Elmer's White Glue, which will dry to leave nice little ridges and can be quite a bit more complex than cuts.   Cover it in satin black spray paint when the tile lines are right.    

Then give a kid you dislike a box of Wax Pensils/China Markers, White in color, and have him start using the worlds smallest stencils.  Or freehand, whichever.

Yeah, just think about how many times they could write FUguns762.....  
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#20]
What about the black foam board from the dollar store for the tiles?

It's just regular foam board with black paper instead of white.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about using an automatic number stamp machine?  6 digit used ones are pretty cheap on eBay. The possible problem I see is the number size being too big.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What about using an automatic number stamp machine?  6 digit used ones are pretty cheap on eBay. The possible problem I see is the number size being too big.
View Quote

Yeah, to scale, the tiles would only be 1 1/4"×1".   Pretty tiny.    

A student suggested we double that.    Not really a bad idea.  I'm seriously considering it, given the amount needed.  Maybe just on the bottom, do the correct size around the cockpit area, and tail.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

$13.00 wood
= 221.71
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone always asks, what did this cost, and honestly, I really don't want to know.  I've got an idea in my head by the end of these, and I'm probably not too far off, but for the sake of information, I will try to keep a running tally in this thread.  I'm not sure if it's entirely fair, as some of each of these items will get used elsewhere, and on other projects, so it's not a precise cost list.  

I may regret this, but here is our budget expenses for this project so far.

$70- Wood
$18-Screws

$78- wood and a new 25' tape measure.   Ours disappeared over the summer.

$42.71-- 2 more sheets of 1/2" chip board, and 10- 8' 1x2s

sub total = $208.71

$13.00 wood
= 221.71

Another run for supplies today:

rabbit cage
hinges for doors
caulking
hardware for anchors and hanging

$49.00
=270.71
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#24]
New Shuttle Haiku:

Their creativity is still lacking, but the Klingon should make many of you smile.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
New Shuttle Haiku:

Their creativity is still lacking, but the Klingon should make many of you smile.

https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5193/29652502380_c28cd13674_b.jpg

View Quote

I might have subbed "targ" for "rabbit" but solid effort.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:   rabbit cage
hinges for doors
caulking
hardware for anchors and hanging

$49.00
=270.71
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Here are a few photos on this page from post shuttle flights, museum display preparation, aside from the page saying so I could tell by the people (I as well as another person in this thread used to know a couple of them pictured there) not wearing clean room suits and they were standing on things that we never would have stood on during processing. Kinda sad to see actually. Normally we had access platforms to work from. Has some good detail of the payload bay blankets that line it and cover everything. The big yellow tubes on the payload bay doors are the strong backs that support the doors when opened on the ground, they can not support their own weight with gravity involved

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-102114a-space-shuttle-endeavour-go-for-payload.html

Hope link works I'm on my potatoe
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Here are a few photos on this page from post shuttle flights, museum display preparation, aside from the page saying so I could tell by the people (I as well as another person in this thread used to know a couple of them pictured there) not wearing clean room suits and they were standing on things that we never would have stood on during processing. Kinda sad to see actually. Normally we had access platforms to work from. Has some good detail of the payload bay blankets that line it and cover everything. The big yellow tubes on the payload bay doors are the strong backs that support the doors when opened on the ground, they can not support their own weight with gravity involved

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-102114a-space-shuttle-endeavour-go-for-payload.html

Hope link works I'm on my potatoe
View Quote

Good link!  Thank you!

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:00:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Update 9/23

Ok, as for the tiles that you sadistic people seem to be fixated on....

This is what happens if we score a piece of black mat.  We are also playing with long strips, scored into 1x11/4" pieces.  That might have more success, but I feel the scoring isn't going to leave enough of a gap to actually notice individual tiles.  I think we are going to be stuck gluing each tile, one at a time.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8105/29256781264_31a6acc6c1_b.jpg

Still waiting for wing spar brackets.

The skin keeps going on.
The inside of the doors. .....
https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8038/29256765154_9b9073d3bb_b.jpg

Doors closed....
https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5821/29256775144_5ae129c85f_b.jpg

https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8426/29770362492_f632e40f27_b.jpg

Kids wanted pictures with the doors open too.  I saw the principal in the halls today and I shouted down to him that I was putting in for a bigger aircraft hanger next year....he thought that was pretty funny.
https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8210/29590292950_aa387ebf89_b.jpg

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8095/29883969575_6a81b098a2_b.jpg

View Quote

Place holder for Mr Burns gif
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:13:40 AM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:08:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Have to be in on this.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Update 9/27

Special delivery from egress81!!!!!   Again, Arfcom generosity is astounding.    

We will make a nice display to put all this up in the shuttle break out area.   Freaking cool !!!!

Yesterday we took about one step forward, and 4 or five backwards.   It was one of those days, but we did get some methods refined, and the process should take off again today.

We finished skinning the tail yesterday, although we did the final areas twice, as bi-symmetrical was still a foreign concept to some.

We also made progress with the engine cowlings yesterday, but that also had to be taken apart for some slight adjustment.   The nose was getting the rabbit cage yesterday, but we didn't like the way it was coming together, so we took it all off last night.   We have a plan today that should make it look more uniform and follow the lines of the ship.  The large flap under the nozzles also started to take shape.   I'll get some pictures today.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#33]
for tiles you could use Dollar Tree Foam Board or Elmer's foam board. There are people making electric r/c airplanes out of the stuff.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Update 9/27

We will make a nice display to put all this up in the shuttle break out area.   Freaking cool !!!!

https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5162/29850193362_ee80283761_b.jpg

Yesterday we took about one step forward, and 4 or five backwards.   It was one of those days, but we did get some methods refined, and the process should take off again today.

We finished skinning the tail yesterday, although we did the final areas twice, as bi-symmetrical was still a foreign concept to some.
https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8367/29670702220_b01b387850_b.jpg

We also made progress with the engine cowlings yesterday, but that also had to be taken apart for some slight adjustment.   The nose was getting the rabbit cage yesterday, but we didn't like the way it was coming together, so we took it all off last night.   We have a plan today that should make it look more uniform and follow the lines of the ship.  The large flap under the nozzles also started to take shape.   I'll get some pictures today.
View Quote

Glad you guys like it. I am excited to see everything once its finished!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update 9/27

https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5162/29850193362_ee80283761_b.jpg

https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8367/29670702220_b01b387850_b.jpg

The principal asked that we set up a temporary display in the commons area display case to show this loot off.  We will be working on it as soon as I can get your picture printed off, nicely.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Check out this bad ass picture of our flag and patches that egress81 sent us.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7547/29852236592_655e4cb62d_b.jpg
View Quote
AWESOME!

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Update 9/27.2

Updated Haiku.....with "targ" added.  They asked what should they use for "start", as they couldn't find a replacement.

Today we got a few details started in the cargo bay.

The fabled engine cowlings are taking shape.  We have one more new piece that needs designed and cut out.   They are coming together well.

The tail got a little more refined on the leading edge.

This is the flap under the rocket nozzles.  It's getting a few more reinforcements but seems to be remaining light.

The start, and start over with the rabbit cage.  To keep the texture the way we want, we have to use small squares, and cut them half way through and spread them slightly at the cabin side.  This ensures the squares run mostly parallel with the nose lines.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Update 9/26.2

Updated Haiku.....with "targ" added. They asked what should they use for "start", as they couldn't find a replacement.

View Quote

Bing says "Gahq" or "Lih"  for "Begin" depending on usage.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update 9/26.2

Updated Haiku.....with "targ" added. They asked what should they use for "start", as they couldn't find a replacement.

I told them they didn't have to do that, and they said , "anything for nerds".    
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update 9/26.2

Now wait just one damn minute.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Now wait just one damn minute.

View Quote

That was my reaction too.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:27:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7547/29852236592_655e4cb62d_b.jpg
View Quote

That's incredibly cool!  Wow!
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
Aren't "nerds" cool now?

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#46]
We are in a delay today.  

A black bear that was "professionally" fleshed and tanned for a rug, was brought to us for help.   It has probably close to 100 holes through out the cape.   We hydrated it this morning and are working to get them all sewn up for review.   We will determine if it is salvageable for a bear skin rug.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Well,

ARFCOM has officially been blocked here at the school, and won't be unblocked.   IT Admin and Super seem to have weighed in, and overridden my Principal.    Been approved by the same IT admin for 16+yrs, and all of the sudden, nope, not this year.  

Still have lots of support from my Principal, and encouraged me to use my phone.  

I have enough problems with the Engwith languadth without having to try to type, edit, and add pictures with my thumbs, but oh, well, life goes on.  

What's amusing is it hasn't stopped my little spies from doing a quick google search on their phones and finding this thread almost instantly.    

View Quote

Time to learn how to tether a notebook to your phone.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Aren't "nerds" cool now?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aren't "nerds" cool now?  

Apparently Klingon for nerd is.......nerd. LOL

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We are in a delay today.  

A black bear that was "professionally" fleshed and tanned for a rug, was brought to us for help.   It has probably close to 100 holes through out the cape.   We hydrated it this morning and are working to get them all sewn up for review.   We will determine if it is salvageable for a bear skin rug.  
View Quote

good luck keep us abreast of the progress.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Update 9/28

The frustrations of teaching.

Some days, sticking my head in a vice might be less painful.  I think, this shuttle would make an excellent coffin; for myself, of course.

Trying to get kids inspired enough to understand what they are making and why it's important, instead of just getting something made and done, is the most frequent reason I want to smash my face on a wall.

The day was going well, we probably go close to 80 or so holes stitched up in our bear.  The cape tan seems good, and I haven't seen any slipping yet.  I probably got close to 50 or more kids to stitch up at least one hole in the cape.  We aren't done, but it went well.

One of my Art/welding students got one of our hangers finished and they look good.  We even got it mounted on the shuttle this afternoon.   We should have the other two on there tomorrow.  
This will allow us to get the shuttle flipped back over and start on he hinges of the cargo doors.   We need to get them functional so the robotics can narrow down what they need to open and close them.

This is all good news.

Then one of my students who's also a welding student brings a wing bracket by to check for fit of the angle with the wing.  This also looks right.

Nope..  Never checked for fit, just brought them by and said these are done.  I was not able to look at them as we were cleaning up right at the bell.  

When I did finally get over to check them, I found  the outside bracket upside down on both, one tube turned 180, and the angles different.

Long pieces, the outside brackets are upside down, and the length of the tubes are not the same.  

Now we have to start all over.  5 weeks we've been waiting to get these done.    If they were tacked, it would be easil to just get pieces set correctly, but now.......now it's start over time.  

Where's my wall....  
Page / 52
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top