Page / 52
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow...I'm impressed...as usual!

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are not tightening the bolt down tight, lock washers will do little good. Double nuts are great in this case where you cannot tighten it enough because you may crush the 2 x 4 between the mount. JME  
View Quote

We red locktited them today.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you are not tightening the bolt down tight, lock washers will do little good. Double nuts are great in this case where you cannot tighten it enough because you may crush the 2 x 4 between the mount. JME  

It is never going to come apart on its own with or without the Locktite with the nuts tightened the way you did.

If it was actually going to fly, I would have been a little more concerned.

Looks great Guns and Spies.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

yup, never coming apart.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#5]

While I love how the team displayed the flag in the case given the size constraints, it seems like the best part of that awesome pilot's picture is being blocked by those inside door edges.  Is it just me?  Would a casual observer be able to notice that the pilot is--in fact--holding the swag displayed within?

...Or maybe it's just the angle the pic was taken at?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7547/29852236592_655e4cb62d_b.jpg

While I love how the team displayed the flag in the case given the size constraints, it seems like the best part of that awesome pilot's picture is being blocked by those inside door edges.  Is it just me?  Would a casual observer be able to notice that the pilot is--in fact--holding the swag displayed within?
View Quote

Also, how does he type on that keyboard while wearing those gloves?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the pencil on the ledge above the keyboard.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://c6.staticflickr.com/6/5549/30025120805_22d545e761_b.jpg

...Or maybe it's just the angle the pic was taken at?
View Quote

Totally agree.  I was hoping to get them cropped too.  Here's what it currently looks like.  I just forgot to post it.  
]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's got to be maddening.

Suppose I could get a juicy government contract if I designed a keyboard meant to be operated while wearing bulky gloves?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Suppose I could get a juicy government contract if I designed a keyboard meant to be operated while wearing bulky gloves?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell yes, it would beat a pencil.....a Fricking pencil.

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:25:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Guns I love you man but.... This would have been more Epic..... Just saying...

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:30:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Guns I love you man but.... This would have been more Epic..... Just saying...

<a href="http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/sparks556/media/69B05F0B-8BB4-429D-913C-7FC82D036AC8_zpsnomci1lj.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag145/sparks556/69B05F0B-8BB4-429D-913C-7FC82D036AC8_zpsnomci1lj.jpeg</a>
View Quote

Been done.  A teacher and class build a 3/4 size one, I think?  

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Update 9/28

The frustrations of teaching.

Some days, sticking my head in a vice might be less painful.  I think, this shuttle would make an excellent coffin; for myself, of course.

Trying to get kids inspired enough to understand what they are making and why it's important, instead of just getting something made and done, is the most frequent reason I want to smash my face on a wall.

The day was going well, we probably go close to 80 or so holes stitched up in our bear.  The cape tan seems good, and I haven't seen any slipping yet.  I probably got close to 50 or more kids to stitch up at least one hole in the cape.  We aren't done, but it went well.

https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7775/29994075765_6bcbfb1b26_b.jpg

One of my Art/welding students got one of our hangers finished and they look good.  We even got it mounted on the shuttle this afternoon.   We should have the other two on there tomorrow.  
This will allow us to get the shuttle flipped back over and start on he hinges of the cargo doors.   We need to get them functional so the robotics can narrow down what they need to open and close them.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8631/29366703304_28ccfce971_b.jpg
This is all good news.

Then one of my students who's also a welding student brings a wing bracket by to check for fit of the angle with the wing.  This also looks right.

Nope..  Never checked for fit, just brought them by and said these are done.  I was not able to look at them as we were cleaning up right at the bell.  

When I did finally get over to check them, I found  the outside bracket upside down on both, one tube turned 180, and the angles different.
https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5749/29366694644_13cc098667_b.jpg

Long pieces, the outside brackets are upside down, and the length of the tubes are not the same.  
https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8125/29960134986_3cd1143cd4_b.jpg

Now we have to start all over.  5 weeks we've been waiting to get these done.    If they were tacked, it would be easil to just get pieces set correctly, but now.......now it's start over time.  

Where's my wall....  
View Quote

Last year you said you might paint this on your wall? Now might be a good time to have that welding student paint it!

"Once a task has begun do not leave till it's done. Be the task large or small do it well it not at all."

EBR
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ditto. Well done.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update 9/30

Temporary display of  the fantastic package we got from egress81

We had a hard time displaying the American flag.   We started with it folded properly, but it just looked too small in the display.   I know some will not be happy with the way we displayed it, and I understand that.   We had a few different people from the office look at it and they all approved of how we have it displayed.   We think it's tasteful.   I hope GD will approve.

The girls worked pretty hard this morning trying to get the best look of the items.   They will probably trim the pictures and make some slight moves to compensate for the display frame when we get a little more time.

The latest Haiku is also displayed...

https://c6.staticflickr.com/6/5549/30025120805_22d545e761_b.jpg
I'm good with that display.
Ditto. Well done.  

I see NO disrespect in the display.  It's good to go by this Vet.

EBR
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

"One a task has begun do not leave till it's done. Be the task large or small do it well it not at all."

EBR
View Quote

I forgot about that.  ......

I need to get that on my list of "to do's."
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:19:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Once a task has begun do not leave till it's done. Be the task large or small do it well it not at all."

EBR

Be sure to spell "Once" correctly. I fixed my misspelling.

EBR
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or...glove finger covers that have a small bump on the ends?
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm no engineer and by no means am I being disrespectful, but if I was helping with the project I would install lock washers on all of the straight nut and bolt connections along with flat washers.

JMO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:quote]

No lock washers on the bolts, guns?

ETA: First pic.

I suppose it couldn't hurt, but even the custodian was happy with the way we set it up.  Even if they came loose, it isn't going anywhere.  The two nuts tightened down on each other are pretty solid.

I'm no engineer and by no means am I being disrespectful, but if I was helping with the project I would install lock washers on all of the straight nut and bolt connections along with flat washers.

JMO.

Using jam nuts gets rid of need for lock washer, and in this case could be safer.
It can shrink and expand and the nuts won't come loose like a lock washer could.

With wings on it looks like it could fly....dreams of youth in early 70's

..sorry for hijack guns

Great job kids....ugh...spies
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Looks amazing!
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Thank you!  

She found the "NASA" font online yesterday and I think she was able to download it on her laptop, but if that didn't work, I'll let her know about helvecta.  She is working on the first of three final designs.
View Quote

NASA's Graphics Standards Manual:

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Looking great

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#23]
I know the devil is in the details and thats where the bulk of your time will be
but this thing is looking awesome in such a short time frame
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#24]
tag
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Is that white rectangular thing a stratus II?

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is that white rectangular thing a stratus II?

View Quote

Sure looks like it
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Another run for supplies today:

rabbit cage
hinges for doors
caulking
hardware for anchors and hanging

$49.00
=270.71
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone always asks, what did this cost, and honestly, I really don't want to know.  I've got an idea in my head by the end of these, and I'm probably not too far off, but for the sake of information, I will try to keep a running tally in this thread.  I'm not sure if it's entirely fair, as some of each of these items will get used elsewhere, and on other projects, so it's not a precise cost list.  

I may regret this, but here is our budget expenses for this project so far.

$70- Wood
$18-Screws

$78- wood and a new 25' tape measure.   Ours disappeared over the summer.

$42.71-- 2 more sheets of 1/2" chip board, and 10- 8' 1x2s

sub total = $208.71

$13.00 wood
= 221.71

Another run for supplies today:

rabbit cage
hinges for doors
caulking
hardware for anchors and hanging

$49.00
=270.71

Updated supply list:

Added items seen here, plus 4 more 1x2s.    Some things here aren't exactly needed right now, but will need them soon, or are now missing and need replaced.
[

total $77

Subtotal so far:
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#31]
looking awesome
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Update 10/3

Good day over all.  

This is a bit embarrassing,  and about as rednecked  up as you get, but it makes the cowlings sit correctly.  The cowlings are pretty symmetrical and flat on the bottoms, so adjusting the last few frames that were so sketchy to begin with was the right call.  It just looks

The cowlings getting some rabbit screen skinning.

We are starting on the thrusters that come off the back of the cowlings.  We also started skinning the nose.  That will be a challenge.  The sides of the shuttle also are supposed to have the fabric panels that we are replicating with the rabbit cage,  but I'm not sure if we will use that.  We may just glue down fabric over the drawing boards in those areas, the doors for sure.

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 9:52:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Damn that's cool!
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Damn that's cool!
View Quote

Principal was giving a tour today to a family who was considering having their student go to school here.  We have several towns within 30min, so parents who live in one town, and work in another have a choice.  

The look on the dads face during the tour was pretty priceless.  

He also sported a Vortex optic tshirt.

I didn't get a chance to talk to them, but I overheard the principal talking to them about the bear, wolf, and the shuttle.  The student looked like this.

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:59:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Update 10/3

We are starting on the thrusters that come off the back of the cowlings.  We also started skinning the nose.  That will be a challenge.  The sides of the shuttle also are supposed to have the fabric panels that we are replicating with the rabbit cage,  but I'm not sure if we will use that.  We may just glue down fabric over the drawing boards in those areas, the doors for sure.

View Quote

Guns, that is looking absolutely fantastic.  Every time I check in on your threads it makes me wish I'd had you as a teacher when I was in high school!

Do you mean the OMS or the RCS?  Out of curiosity, how are you planning to make the OMS and the SSME bells?
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 6:42:33 AM EDT
[#36]
I had a strange thought, but in might be quite amusing:  Make a satellite sort of like suggested earlier, but label and make it look like "Cry Baby" from Firefly.  Just have that thing in orbit near the shuttle.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 7:45:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Guns, that is looking absolutely fantastic.  Every time I check in on your threads it makes me wish I'd had you as a teacher when I was in high school!

Do you mean the OMS or the RCS?  Out of curiosity, how are you planning to make the OMS and the SSME bells?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update 10/3

Not exactly sure how we are doing the bells yet.  I've got some ideas, and hopefully one of them pans out.  

I need to go look up what the proper terminology is for the pieces I was talking about.  There are a line of 3 ports coming off at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions, sticking off the back of the cowlings.  They cover the smaller two bells .  Thats clear, right?
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:13:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not exactly sure how we are doing the bells yet.  I've got some ideas, and hopefully one of them pans out.  

I need to go look up what the proper terminology is for the pieces I was talking about.  There are a line of 3 ports coming off at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions, sticking off the back of the cowlings.  They cover the smaller two bells .  Thats clear, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update 10/3

Clear as a bell!  

What you're building there are the left and right OMS Pods.  They house the Orbital Maneuvering System (OMS) and Reaction Control System (RCS) fuel tanks.  Mounted at those 3 and 9 o'clock positions are the RCS Thruster Housings below the OMS engine bell.  The OMS provides supplemental thrust during launch and maneuvering for a stable orbit as well as the deorbit burn.  The RCS are for orbital pitch, yaw, and roll control.

The holes on the nose of the orbiter are the forward RCS module:

Here endith the lesson.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#39]
motion activated rcs modules on the nose
feed them with a co2 tank

the classrooms nearby will love it so much more than the sub ping
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#40]
cool pic from a video

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
motion activated rcs modules on the nose
feed them with a co2 tank

the classrooms nearby will love it so much more than the sub ping
View Quote

You make friends easily don't you.....

The robotics student across from me on the couch says, that's a no go.  

He did show me some work ups for motorized hinges.  They are going to start printing parts soon.  

Lots of admins from surrounding towns we touring our school today.  The shuttle got lots of attention.  It was fun to watch the reaction as they came around the corner to see it there in the hallway, students busy working on different parts.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Clear as a bell!  

What you're building there are the left and right OMS Pods.  They house the Orbital Maneuvering System (OMS) and Reaction Control System (RCS) fuel tanks.  Mounted at those 3 and 9 o'clock positions are the RCS Thruster Housings below the OMS engine bell.  The OMS provides supplemental thrust during launch and maneuvering for a stable orbit as well as the deorbit burn.  The RCS are for orbital pitch, yaw, and roll control.

http://pages.erau.edu/~ericksol/projects/shuttle/images/2orvil4.gif

http://pages.erau.edu/~ericksol/projects/shuttle/images/2orvil3.gif

http://i.imgur.com/PGGyD61.png

Here endith the lesson.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update 10/3

Clear as a bell!  

http://pages.erau.edu/~ericksol/projects/shuttle/images/2orvil4.gif

http://pages.erau.edu/~ericksol/projects/shuttle/images/2orvil3.gif

http://i.imgur.com/PGGyD61.png

Here endith the lesson.  

Great lesson, thank you.  

Going to print these pictures for some references for us.  Good stuf.  We will be building the bells in the next few days,more at least attempting to.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Darn. I was hoping for a swiveling laser mount on the nose. "Student detected in hallway. Pew! Pew! Pew!" Le sigh.

Maybe next year. *IF* the robotics crew is up to the challenge!

Looking good!

(I wonder how many principals/senior admins are taking pictures, going back to their art staff and saying, "Look at what they're doing. Why can't you do that?!")
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 2:14:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 2:33:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Great job. You and your class are impressive.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 5:02:24 AM EDT
[#46]
I can't believe I missed this thread till now. guns762, you do to good of a job hiding them!

Can't wait to see the final t-Shirt design.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
cool pic from a video

http://i.imgur.com/2V7l0Km.png

View Quote

Update 10/5

This Leisure_Shoot guy deserves a shout out.  

Thank you!  

A little constructive critical evaluation is always good!  

I went back and looked at the angle of our wings.   The students had called it correct, but on further evaluation we had too much angle.  
We have a little wiggle room, literally, once its up we can use the tethers to raise and lower the tips to the correct angle, but it's easy enough to change the angle now with the brackets.   The tips of the wings were 44" from the floor.  They are now 39.5".    We trimmed a little material out from under the welds on the brackets, then raised the back of the brackets to lower the the angles.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Looks great.  Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
...snip...

View Quote

Laika?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Laika?
View All Quotes

That made me laugh, and then sad
Page / 52
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top