Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#1]
GET A LIFE!???????
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The radioman might not be the most important target in that element. Might be the leader the radioman is following.

Just saying.
View Quote

Disagree. Radios are lifelines. We are there to kill the objective. Radio is priority target so they can't report accurate intelligence. Prevents the enemy objective from getting more information other than some shit just popped off somewhere in that general direction. Keeps the enemy from calling for fire.

That radioman dies first and with HE so his radio gets fucked up too.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The radioman might not be the most important target in that element. Might be the leader the radioman is following.

Just saying.
View Quote

Double tap
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#4]
You don’t have two minutes, you have 5-10 seconds max to decide and make it happen given the distance and illumination.

It is incredibly far fetched that it would be someone from your squad, given that your rifleman would have eyes on B team.

It is possible but unlikely that it’s a recon element from your company, crossing lost stream not once but twice with no coordination or notification.

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Team Fall Back. A-10 - Do your thing.
View Quote

I am AF

This is my answer.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#7]
So what does providing Left Flank Security mean?  

I assume that means not letting enemy units penetrate your screen and risk contact with the main body of friendlies.  Right?   Even if that means we might make noise by killing a bunch of people?
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have my team hold position.  Open up on enemy forces after they've crossed targeting RTO first.  Use any explosives that are available.  Fix in place with high volume of fire.

Squad leader should move back to team in contact and assess.  With a full squad we've got them outnumbered and fixed.  He should move back to and lead remainder of squad in a flanking maneuver down the river using the trees as concealment.  Use visual or whistle commands for shift and lift fire and assault through the enemy position from the large clump of trees to the north.  Basically Battle Drill 1 A.

Might not be perfect but running that on the fly with limited comms should be second nature to everyone.

https://i.imgur.com/QVl5QDV.png

View Quote

Not trained in this but that what I came up with.

It avoids frats and flanks the enemy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You're speaking from experience.

However, there is always the outlier. When I was an instructor at the schoolhouse we had someone get so lost during night land nav (no NVGs) that they ended up on the opposite side of a major highway about a kilometer outside the training area.

He was a second lieutenant...who was a prior enlisted sergeant.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The idea that a friendly element has not only crossed the stream/river,but then gotten so fucked up to have to cut back south to cross back over just defies all reasoning.

You're speaking from experience.

However, there is always the outlier. When I was an instructor at the schoolhouse we had someone get so lost during night land nav (no NVGs) that they ended up on the opposite side of a major highway about a kilometer outside the training area.

He was a second lieutenant...who was a prior enlisted sergeant.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#10]
From a young LT

It’s a though situation that’s for sure. I’d honestly say best bet is to lay down away from the game trails and let them pass. It’s night and they’re outnumbered 2-1. The second fire team screwed up to get in this position anyways. They should always have someone able to see the movements & signals of the rear elements. The fire team / squad sized element passing through isn’t their intended target and attempting to fight them off as a fire team would ruin the element of surprise and chances are they won’t be seen anyways.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Have my team hold position.  Open up on enemy forces after they've crossed targeting RTO first.  Use any explosives that are available.  Fix in place with high volume of fire.

Squad leader should move back to team in contact and assess.  With a full squad we've got them outnumbered and fixed.  He should move back to and lead remainder of squad in a flanking maneuver down the river using the trees as concealment.  Use visual or whistle commands for shift and lift fire and assault through the enemy position from the large clump of trees to the north.  Basically Battle Drill 1 A.

Might not be perfect but running that on the fly with limited comms should be second nature to everyone.

https://i.imgur.com/QVl5QDV.png

View Quote

In a meeting engagement the side that is the most aggressive and maneuvers first wins.  I might not even wait for them all to cross
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In a meeting engagement the side that is the most aggressive and maneuvers first wins.  I might not even wait for them all to cross
View Quote

I wouldn't. To do so starts jeopardizing the ability of you to employ your 40mm munitions.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Machine gunner's wet dream.  SAW better be going cyclic.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#14]
More from the youngster

Issue here is that they’re already too close for an ambush like you’d essentially be setting up. The SAW could potentially have position to lay it out once they’re all clear shots. I believe the saw you need a minimum of 15° from friendlies on the bipod. Those guys are already within 30 meters on the formation. Best bet I’d say I’d stick to have the SAW move up to the berm in front of him and and the AG will follow. Have the rifleman move just behind him northwest to get cover behind the thick brush (maybe even in it) and the SAW would wait for myself to take the first shot. Kill zone would be the middle most guy crossing the stream to split their formation in half. This would mean as many of them as possible downed at once and would allow clear shots on anyone that tries going either continuing through the stream or back over to retreat.

I’d just have too many concerns about fratricide so I’d radio up about the position of the other fireteams.

That ambush could be done but not as effectively as I’d like. The rifleman in that position would also be in a position to relay the situation to any friendlies who come from their elements in front of them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I wouldn't. To do so starts jeopardizing the ability of you to employ your 40mm munitions.
View Quote

Yeah, I didn't pay super close attention to the scale.  In hindsight I wouldn't wait either but no changing it now.

I don't think there would be time to try to set up some small 4 man L shaped ambush given the limited comms within the fire team, proximity of the enemy, and visibility.  

Pass the signal back about the enemy location, get the team a little more on line if possible, and engage.

As far as the rest of it goes, it's not really the team leaders decision outside of reacting to a near ambush.  Once the fire team is roughly on line with their fire being controlled by the TL it's on the Squad leader to press the attack with a flanking maneuver or break contact.  

In my initial response I took the liberty of looking at the rest of the engagement through the Squad Leaders eyes.  No need to break contact.  Friendly forces outnumber enemy plus we've got belt feds and initiated the attack at close range so they're probably not doing great.  

Sweep the enemy position with both the flanking element them the base of fire element and prepare for a counter attack since that enemy patrol may not be alone.  Get a LACE report and beat feet after doing a hasty search of the enemy for Intel.  Higher will need to decide if the main attack will continue or be aborted.

This same scenario could get a lot more interesting if the initial enemy element is the lead of a larger force and fire starts coming from a second enemy team/squad.

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Is my SQL a gangster?

Is my AG a brand new PVT, or does he have an ex wife and a 5th per night drinking problem?

What is the enemy's common force composition?

Have there been any SIGACTS we can rely on to predict the enemy's likely COA?

We're outnumbered 6 to 5 (AW =2).

It's too late to break contact.

We're probably gonna fucking die, but we do have the terrain and element of surprise...so fuck it.

CONTACT 9 O'CLOCK!

BANG BANG BANG BANG....

Pray to GOD the BTL knows my daughter's first name and got drunk enough that he had to sleep on my couch at her last birthday party.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#17]
In that situation with only about 10 seconds to decide, can't make any noise and can't really move much.

most likely not friendlies
most likely will see you eventually anyway
most likely even if you don't order the engagement one of your guys will engage on their own when they get stepped on or somebody aims at them

Open fire,  take the tactical victory and let the squad leader decide if the main attack continues.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Friendly fire incident right here.

One of your squads fell behind due to rough terrain.  Radio is busted.  

Everyone panics, opens fire.  Everybody dies.

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're bringing a whole new variable into the exercise that wasn't part of the guidelines.  That's not how these things work.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
From a young LT

It's a though situation that's for sure. I'd honestly say best bet is to lay down away from the game trails and let them pass. It's night and they're outnumbered 2-1. The second fire team screwed up to get in this position anyways. They should always have someone able to see the movements & signals of the rear elements. The fire team / squad sized element passing through isn't their intended target and attempting to fight them off as a fire team would ruin the element of surprise and chances are they won't be seen anyways.
View Quote

So you've just let an enemy squad move to a position that will be behind you or to your flank as you assault the main objective.

Bad LT, bad!  Maybe ask an NCO for advice next time.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This same scenario could get a lot more interesting if the initial enemy element is the lead of a larger force and fire starts coming from a second enemy team/squad.

View Quote

Yup.  But even then, being aggressive has been shown to give even a larger force pause (i.e. James Gavin Biazza Ridge in Sicily)
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
From a young LT

It’s a though situation that’s for sure. I’d honestly say best bet is to lay down away from the game trails and let them pass. It’s night and they’re outnumbered 2-1. The second fire team screwed up to get in this position anyways. They should always have someone able to see the movements & signals of the rear elements. The fire team / squad sized element passing through isn’t their intended target and attempting to fight them off as a fire team would ruin the element of surprise and chances are they won’t be seen anyways.
View Quote

Most dangerous thing on the battlefield is a 2LT with a map and compass
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
My unit is screening the left flank of the main body, on the right bank of a creek/river that is a pretty clear terrain feature.
I would feel safe in assuming that any forces approaching across that terrain feature from the left of my left flank are not friendly.  

If 2d or whoever gets Mexican Humvee, wrong-side-of-the-river lost, well...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So you've just let an enemy squad move to a position that will be behind you or to your flank as you assault the main objective.

Bad LT, bad!  Maybe ask an NCO for advice next time.
View Quote

I think he injected more in the scenario that presented. Yes, bad LT (cadet senior, LT in 4 months)
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Most dangerous thing on the battlefield is a 2LT with a map and compass
View Quote

For sure LOL
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Roll for initiative.

Armchair admiral says let them get seperated by the river as they cross it then proceed to nuke anything on your side of the river with preference to dropping the radioman first.

Getting caught at the crossing should hamper them enough to get the rest of my line in on the action.

Im pretty confident that we got this.

*the radioman may or may not be critical, but im assuming he can call in bigger things, more peeps and generally more unwanted party guests.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
GET A LIFE!???????
View Quote

Ben, please ignore the tard.

I like these but I’m not knowledgeable enough to really play along.

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#29]
No background in anything pertinent here.

There's no time for any real plan. Seconds matter. If the enemy spots your team, you lose the element of surprise and your only advantage. All you have time and opportunity to do is to motion for your SAW gunner the direction of the enemy and to move to the small rise directly front of him (hand signals). The second you visually confirm the figures are in fact the enemy, which I imagine would take about the same amount of time it would take for your SAW gunner to get into position, you make contact. Presumably then your rifleman (who saw the enemy first) and your SAW gunner would join you, thus destroying or at least suppressing the enemy team.

If the asst SAW gunner is out of sight there is no sufficiently timely way of communicating with him before making contact. That's the way it goes. Sometimes you have to implement the imperfect plan now instead of the perfect plan after it's too late.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#32]
As a civilian who's wargaming preferences are battalion level or higher, I don't know that I'd be any more formal than "Dudes, bad guys over there (waves vaguely). SAW guy, light them up when I open fire or five baddies are over the stream*. Try and hit that radioman first, then keep their heads down till I yell cease fire. Everybody else, well, now that I think about it more or less same thing."

Then I'd open fire after they crossed the river. SAW guy is in a good enfilade position to mostly get their flanks. If I were playing on the tabletop with little lead/pewter/plastic/resin guys, I'd be tempted to perform a close assault (or whatever the rules set calls it) to push them back past the stream and sit tight till the off-board reinforcements are available. But over here in reality, I'm way less sure.

I like these scenarios, I have the first(?) TDG book to hand.

* I want to make sure they open fire if I get an aneurysm or something and can't open the ambush with me shooting.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#33]
All these TDGs usually boil down to some form of doing nothing, retreating, or attacking. Well, the enemy is here so I must attack.  

Immediately pass the signal for a hasty ambush. Initiate it with 40mm/grenades followed by an assault via fire and movement by buddy pairs until the fireteam reaches the last available cover where we go firm and continue to assault by fire. That'll get our squad leader and platoon leader aware of the situation in a hurry and we'll know in about a second if the enemy is  alone or part of a larger force. We'll probably be dead, but we did our job as flankers.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#34]
FIX
BAYONETS
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Facts:
No meteorological data given
They are 30m away, I don't have 2 minutes for a frago.
Assumption:
We have PID on the bad guys
They are 30m away and haven't seen us yet so the bad guys don't havdragon.

Activate near passive then active IR recognition to confirm no nvg/bad guy
Initiate near ambush.
Start with grenades.
Follow up with everything we have targeting rto first
Peq2a designates targets
Assault through
Call higher with report of enemy KIA ask for instructions.

GOTWA exists for a reason.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Bayonets!!! Gettysburg (1993)
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 9:05:41 PM EDT
[#37]
GD is slacking,this should have been the first answer...

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Sounds like the mission just turned into a Movement to Contact. At 30m, you’re in contact. Execute Battle Drill 1A(-). Your task as left flank security has paid off for the main element. Hopefully the commander planned accordingly.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So you're just going to destroy the element of surprise in your follow on assault?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a civilian who's wargaming preferences are battalion level or higher, I don't know that I'd be any more formal than "Dudes, bad guys over there (waves vaguely). SAW guy, light them up when I open fire or five baddies are over the stream*. Try and hit that radioman first, then keep their heads down till I yell cease fire. Everybody else, well, now that I think about it more or less same thing."

Then I'd open fire after they crossed the river. SAW guy is in a good enfilade position to mostly get their flanks. If I were playing on the tabletop with little lead/pewter/plastic/resin guys, I'd be tempted to perform a close assault (or whatever the rules set calls it) to push them back past the stream and sit tight till the off-board reinforcements are available. But over here in reality, I'm way less sure.

I like these scenarios, I have the first(?) TDG book to hand.

* I want to make sure they open fire if I get an aneurysm or something and can't open the ambush with me shooting.

So you're just going to destroy the element of surprise in your follow on assault?

I did say 'on the table top'. Surprise is pretty tricky when the opposing player is watching what I'm doing.

Also, rereading, I'm not sure I was clear that the hypothetical close assault comes after opening the ambush with weapons fire. At that point, surprise is already lost. As pointed out by others, it looks like the opposing force is close enough that somebody is shooting within a couple of minutes. So we open fire, hopefully taking out the RTO and several other troops. A close assault to, as the man said, keep the skeer on and take control of a potentially useful terrain feature*. I'm depending on the noise to alert my squad leader and higher that something is going on, since 1) I don't think I have enough men to send a runner and 2) I think you mentioned there's no electronic comms.  Sitting tight keeps me from blundering into a counter-ambush by either the survivors or any follow on forces and gives me a chance to bring the squad and/or platoon leader up to speed when they hopefully check on all the noise.

* I'm probably overthinking this part; it's a stream, not the Rhine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So what does providing Left Flank Security mean?  

I assume that means not letting enemy units penetrate your screen and risk contact with the main body of friendlies.  Right?   Even if that means we might make noise by killing a bunch of people?
View Quote

It means the main body is to your right and your mission is to protect the main body from anything attacking from the left flank.

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sounds like the mission just turned into a Movement to Contact. At 30m, you're in contact. Execute Battle Drill 1A(-). Your task as left flank security has paid off for the main element. Hopefully the commander planned accordingly.
View Quote
This is where I'm landing.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#43]
@MidniteRide
@Ak4784
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 10:36:34 PM EDT
[#44]
@ben so was there a textbook correct answer?
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#45]
My interpretation is that the unknown force we see is NOT the primary objective, rather a group we've encountered during our infiltration. Therefore, engagement here will blow our stealth and fuck with our actual goal.

1. Hold position, take cover/concealment.
2. Ensure my guys see them.
3. Target the enemy. Hold fire.
4. Positively ID friend or foe.
5. Let them pass and stay undetected if at all possible. Surprising friends or foes alike will both result in weapons fire.
6. Engage if detected.

In addition to the friend or foe uncertainty due to lost contact with the other squad, I'm unclear why we're not already under attack if visibility is so good.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My interpretation is that the unknown force we see is NOT the primary objective, rather a group we've encountered during our infiltration. Therefore, engagement here will blow our stealth and fuck with our actual goal.

1. Hold position, take cover/concealment.
2. Ensure my guys see them.
3. Target the enemy. Hold fire.
4. Positively ID friend or foe.
5. Let them pass and stay undetected if at all possible. Surprising friends or foes alike will both result in weapons fire.
6. Engage if detected.

In addition to the friend or foe uncertainty due to lost contact with the other squad, I'm unclear why we're not already under attack if visibility is so good.
View Quote

i'm out of my lane here, but wouldn't letting them pass be the direct opposite of the main purpose of your team which is guarding the left flank?
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 10:53:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Cut/Pasted from my post above.

We cannot risk letting the enemy pass through our lines. They would likely run into our friendly forces. If that means engaging and likely jeopardizing the original mission then so be it. MY current mission is to protect the flank. I'm assuming my lead guy is solid and his judgment can be trusted but I'm always thinking of a possible friendly fire situation right till the trigger is pulled. I'm not sure what distances we're talking here but since it's dark and I can identify a radio backpack/attenna? then distances must be close. I would tell my SAW gunner and Rifleman to hold position and prepare for a ambush (hasty?) tell SAW dude to make contact with Assistant if possible and relay what's going on. Once they were in the best range for my team based on my judgment I would open fire concentrating on the enemy Radioman. We would be engaging using NV/Thermal passively as much as possible. I'm assuming the enemy has the same capability so they will be engaging us soon no matter what. We're outnumbered so keeping the element of surprise is critical. That's all I got. I needed more than 2 mins.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So you're going to compromise the mission by opening fire?

I've literally had someone who was wearing NVGs step over me as I lay in the prone after a patrol rolled up on my OP. Is it possible that you could simply go to ground and hide?
View Quote

You make a good point, but let’s think this through…

The target audience of these problems, assuming Marine MTOE is Lcpl-Cpl. at that level, the decision making is only going to as good as how much information/understanding he has about the higher mission. Im also assuming PID is made and the determination is that this is an enemy force.

Being a company attack, this assumes an objective held by a platoon sized enemy element. In terms of MEU operations in the late 90s, this would probably have been a raid, or seize terrain as part of a Non-combatant evacuation. These are not simple missions. I would assume the CDRs intent in the OPORD was clearly defined priorities upon contact with an enemy force. The Scheme of Maneuver should have provided for contingency scenarios, which SURELY would have emphasized actions on contact for a flank element because they are more like to make contact in a meeting engagement such as this.

The TL must understand should contact be made before the attack position, do this [insert actions to take based on conditions]. With no comms, the TL has to understand the higher intent or he will fail to make a decision which will likely cause the mission to fail. Hopefully the squad is well trained and executes accordingly. In situations like this, if you are stopping to think, you are giving the enemy an advantage.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top