Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because weather predictions are always 100% correct?
View Quote
The reality is that if you live on the Texas gulf coast you should be ready for a hurricane.

People act like it's an impossible task for anyone making less than $100k/year, but really it's not too hard to buy an extra case of water and a few extra cans of beans each week until you have a good reserve. In a few months you'll have enough extra to last a couple of weeks without noticing much of a dent in the grocery budget.

People are too undisciplined to prepare then expect everyone else to take up the slack.

I'll help a neighbor in need but drop the entitlement.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The market decides the prices.

"Price gouging" is bullshit.

Stock up, plan ahead, or be subject to market fluctuations.

Supply becomes difficult in times of crisis, and there needs to be a financial incentive for people to provide services in a crisis.

Furthermore, it can help separate people who want from people who need.

Snow shovels cost more in winter than summer.

When flights are canceled, rental cars cost more.
View Quote
I'm with this guy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:27:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You're a piece of shit if you take advantage of people during an emergency situation.  You are a step below .22lr neckbeards.
View Quote
If you charge market rate for a product in an  emergency situation you are a piece of shit?

How many preban magazines do you have? I would like to buy them for free state price please. Feel free to PM me your paypal and I will buy all of your old ass beat to shit USGI mags for 8 bucks a pop.

Thanks bro!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Something is always worth what someone in the line is willing to pay. Everyone here seems to forget life is hard, sometimes brutal, and occasionally forgiving. If many of you commenting had read much into history, you would realize that in hard times you have to be hard. Try buying a pickaxe during the gold rush in California. It's the same concept. It sounds like a lot of you want every part of your lives moderated by others even if you pretend like you don't. Capitalism allows you the choice to walk away from a purchase if you are not willing to spend what is required for an item.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They were following the law.

You know what fucks over the "common man"?
When another "common man" goes and buys all of X for his family and X is no longer available because of bullshit price controls.
View Quote
No these people had no obligation to open, no obligation to go out of their way to get shipments of product, and zero obligation to sell said products below the good by rate but they did.   The statement has been made that people aren't going to sell products at the set prices to which I replied with my experience to the contrary.  Past experience here and in Louisiana showed me that people of those two states, for the most part, step up when people are in need regardless of the profit.   When I weathered hurricanes in Florida that seemed to not be the case.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes people should have been well prepared by now and those that wait to the last minute should expect to pay a stupid tax in the form of higher prices but within reason.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While I think it is a dick move to " gouge" when people are in need, it is capitalism and these storms have been predicted for WEEKS. If you're not prepped at this point its your own damn fault. You could have Amazon primed yourself a generator on Monday and had it by now.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/351853/Capture-289289.JPG

Yes people should have been well prepared by now and those that wait to the last minute should expect to pay a stupid tax in the form of higher prices but within reason.
Why?

The stupid high prices cause others to rapidly import goods or services to where they are most demanded. Price fixing causes shortages. Why the heck would I truck gasoline, down clogged freeways, into the wake of a storm for less than ridiculous prices?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How exactly do you expect the average schmoe to prep for a couple feet of water in his house?
View Quote
Don't live where that can happen....or if you refuse to move from where that can happen for whatever reason, be prepared for water in your house.  Pretty simple really.  

Can't do that?  Then you are stupid and deserve whatever happens to you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
While I think it is a dick move to " gouge" when people are in need, it is capitalism and these storms have been predicted for WEEKS. If you're not prepped at this point its your own damn fault. You could have Amazon primed yourself a generator on Monday and had it by now.

View Quote
They raised the prices 3 times in one day and the Hurricane wasn't anywhere near the coast yet. Yeah some gas station owners play games.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Everybody keeps talking about how no one will offer the services of the prices are mandated.  Past performance proves you guys wrong.  After IKe there were places paying to run on generators and gladly selling product at Prestorm prices.  Hell the Kroger near where I lived was shipping in ice and selling it at cost.  Maybe in the shitty fucking hell holes y'all live in people have no character and therefore actually won't sell to their common man unless they can get premium prices but around here, even in the fourth largest big city in the fucking country,  we have amazing people who not only risk life and limb to ride out storms but spent money on generators to get back open and still somehow found it in themselves not to fuck over their common man. 
View Quote
The day after Gustav, I drove to Lowes when they opened' bought a generator and gas cans.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:33:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You're a piece of shit if you take advantage of people during an emergency situation.  You are a step below .22lr neckbeards.
View Quote
Enjoy your shortages.

If you don't like shortages, then allow the price to rise with demand.  Don't allow the price to rise...well that's how you get shortages.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:33:09 PM EDT
[#11]
It really amazing how so much of GD doesn't appreciate the beautiful efficiency of a free market.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
People respond to incentives.   If you live in St Louis, and you can resell Lowes plywood and generators for 2x - you have incentive to load up your vehicle, spend your gas, and go and serve that Teaxs demand.

Or, facing threat of legal prosecution, you can just stay home and let that all sit in St Loius Lowes.  Too bad for those people in need in Texas

That's why anti-gouging laws are short-sighted and dumb.
View Quote
This poster gets it.  Gougers don't....and won't when they face shortages.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It really amazing how so much of GD doesn't appreciate the beautiful efficiency of a free market.
View Quote
Yup
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Taking financial advantage of people in a disaster or emergency situation is gouging. It's not capitalism.
Fucker should have died a slow, painful death just because of his morals.
View Quote
Enjoy your shortages then.  

I'll enjoy having plenty and I'll keep it where I am because I wouldn't want to be an evil gouger.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Why are y'all so mad about it anyhow? Were any of you ready to drive down with your truck loads of shit and set up shop on the side of the road?

You WERE prepared to do that on a few hours notice, right?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes.

Furthermore, it helps tamper panic buying.

The high cost of goods tends to dissuade dumb people from clearing out a given product.

In addition, it can provide help, like NavyDoc mentioned.

Flooding? Earthquake? Unrest?  No thanks, why risk your assets driving into a known disaster area?

Oh wait, instead of $2/gal I can make $4/gal? Yeah,  I'll take that shipment. I'll take the risk.

Capitalism is beautiful. Truly beautiful.

Then guess what?

When all the people rushing to make money flood the market with product, guess what happens?

The price goes down.
View Quote
If I can make lots of money rushing goods to an area, I'd do so.  Every other smart entrepreneur starts thinking the same thing and goods flow in.  Excess goods reduce prices....which slows the flow of goods.  

Those who plan in advance don't have to worry about price fluctuations.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

It may surprise you to learn that capitalism is a broad economic system designed and used by humans rather than a perfect moral code for society to live by.
The goal of capitalism is to allow the vast number of people in the market to use their resources wisely; it isn't to enable destructive abuses for the enrichment of evil people.
If all the Republicans in Congress understood this we wouldn't be in such shitty shape but then again they wouldn't be nearly as wealthy and powerful....
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

<Removed -40xb>

This was supposed to be a tropical storm. It went from that to most likely being a category 3 today.

No one saw this coming.
View Quote
Apparently everyone except some Texans saw this coming.  Must suck to be so oblivious.  

Failing to plan is planning to fail.  

Enjoy failure.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The market decides the prices.

"Price gouging" is bullshit.

Stock up, plan ahead, or be subject to market fluctuations.

Supply becomes difficult in times of crisis, and there needs to be a financial incentive for people to provide services in a crisis.

Furthermore, it can help separate people who want from people who need.

Snow shovels cost more in winter than summer.

When flights are canceled, rental cars cost more.
View Quote
maybe a little more, but not 2x to 10x more do they?   seen bottles of water go for $5-$10 when power was out for a week.  Also waited in line for gas for hours because no stations had generators so the couple that did were swamped. Once we drove from Broward almost to Orlando to get gas for the cars and generators because they were limiting you to 5 gallons down here.  this is 4 days after the storm, when our stock ran out. now they have to have a generator by law for the pumps. Most places don't skyrocket the place but some do.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It may surprise you to learn that capitalism is a broad economic system designed and used by humans rather than a perfect moral code for society to live by.
The goal of capitalism is to allow the vast number of people in the market to use their resources wisely; it isn't to enable destructive abuses for the enrichment of evil people.
If all the Republicans in Congress understood this we wouldn't be in such shitty shape but then again they wouldn't be nearly as wealthy and powerful....
View Quote
If I own a business I owe you nothing, nada.  Don't like my prices GTFO.

Soviet Russia is this way and 3 decades ago -------------------->
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:46:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The world needs more Darwin.
View Quote
Apparently a bunch of them are in Texas.  

I have some good friends in Texas but Darwin may be about to demonstrate survival of the planners.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#22]
FWIW I bought a 6200 watt generator to run my 5th wheel at Lowes today for the regular price of $800.

In ten minutes I watched 20 of them get sold.  I bought one of the last 3.  One guy bought 6.  I assume to rip people off on Craigslist and Facebook bst's.

Mont Belvieu, TX.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Apparently everyone except some Texans saw this coming.  Must suck to be so oblivious.  

Enjoy failure.
View Quote
Why aren't you rich from seeing everything coming then?

You could've won that 700 million if you'd have just applied yourself, had a little discipline.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If I can make lots of money rushing goods to an area, I'd do so.  Every other smart entrepreneur starts thinking the same thing and goods flow in.  Excess goods reduce prices....which slows the flow of goods.  

Those who plan in advance don't have to worry about price fluctuations.
View Quote
How many states allow people to swoop in and sell significant amounts of items for profit without a business license or without paying sales tax?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If I own a business I owe you nothing, nada.  Don't like my prices GTFO.

Soviet Russia is this way and 3 decades ago -------------------->
View Quote
Your way of thinking loses.
removed...krp
I mean the anti-gouging is Texas LAW. The law in one of the most conservative states is literally against you. You are out of touch and society wrote a law to smack down people like you
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Because weather predictions are always 100% correct?
View Quote
Ever hear of "prepare for the worst and hope for the best"?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Enjoy failure.
View Quote
Who saw it coming? Every fucking weather prediction right up till this morning had it pegged as a tropical storm or maybe cat 1 at landfall.  We were prepared for flooding but flooding doesn't bring with it mass evacuations. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Just because hurricane season goes into overdrive around this time of year doesn't mean that there is a direct threat to any particular place along the vast southern and eastern coastline of the US.

The Harvey storm didn't make the news until 3 days ago (maybe less) as it was passing through Mexico.

We generally have 3 days of warning, maybe, once we know, generally, where the storm is going.  Yes, there are people that wait too long.  Yesterday evening and this morning we really started to get big signs that Harvey was going to be pretty serious.

The gulf coast wasn't preparing 10 days ago, that's just ridiculous, totally ridiculous.

Additionally, keep in mind that we haven't had very active hurricane seasons over really the last 5ish years or so.... Sandy was in 2012.

Furthermore, MILLIONS (roughly 3-4million) newbies have moved to Texas since Hurricane Ike in 2008, and they don't know any better.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Same way you hated Trump because your brain is damaged is the same way you don't understand how societies work.

I mean the anti-gouging is Texas LAW. The law in one of the most conservative states is literally against you. You are out of touch and society wrote a law to smack down people like you
View Quote
Big shock you support the gov't intervening in business dealings, such as pricing, etc.  Which is why I've always said you're not a conservative much less one for "small gov't"

I understand how business works, which is why I've owned several, all successful.  Seems my system worked pretty damn good and guess what, I won!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Whenever the gulf has a storm and Texas starts their fucking crying bullshit over nothing.... Our gas goes up to like $4 a gallon. SO YES him calling these lying fucks on out on their bullshit it's more than warranted.

Like they think everyone is so fucking stupid that we dont know we produce more than we use and buy a ton while exporting texas oil on the cheap. We see Opec's press releases saying the US is letting out tankers sit for weeks and we are at 20% production. So before you decide to get your tranny gash in a bunch. Maybe you should idk open a fucking newspaper?

If that storm hits and Texas pulls its normal crying ass bullshit my profits will be FUCKED for the fall season. So will thousands of other commercial fisherman. Are you going to feed my fucking family when I lose 5+ grand a month plus normal over head?  What about all the trucking in this country? Every you buy is moved by truck. tens of thousands of trucks....  

Sorry for the rant but people like you make me want to punch myself in the face. You will probably be the first one to complain that the milk you feed your crotch fruit doubled in price yet have not a fucking clue why.
View Quote
please go ahead and punch yourself in the face. You've earned it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Why aren't you rich from seeing everything coming then?

You could've won that 700 million if you'd have just applied yourself, had a little discipline.
View Quote
The weather predictors have been predicting a storm for awhile.  How bad that storm might get is anyone's guess.  But, TX occasionally gets hurricanes.  And, they usually come this time of year.  If you live in southern TX and don't plan for hurricanes then you are stupid.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Who saw it coming? Every fucking weather prediction right up till this morning had it pegged as a tropical storm or maybe cat 1 at landfall.  We were prepared for flooding but flooding doesn't bring with it mass evacuations. 
View Quote
Then those who live in that area failed to plan.  Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:59:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Big shock you support the gov't intervening in business dealings, such as pricing, etc.  Which is why I've always said you're not a conservative much less one for "small gov't"

I understand how business works, which is why I've owned several, all successful.  Seems my system worked pretty damn good and guess what, I won!
View Quote
Won at politics? No, you lost and are only continuing to lose. No upcoming candidate will share your economic views.
Won the opinion of society? No, you lost that in the election and it is pretty obvious that in this situation in Texas you lost it.
Won in law? No, the people of Texas passed a law against your ideas.
Won at some nebulous claim on the internet that can't be verified and wouldn't directly validate your opinions or ideas anyways? LOL sure go ahead and 'win' that one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:59:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

maybe a little more, but not 2x to 10x more do they?   seen bottles of water go for $5-$10 when power was out for a week.  Also waited in line for gas for hours because no stations had generators so the couple that did were swamped. Once we drove from Broward almost to Orlando to get gas for the cars and generators because they were limiting you to 5 gallons down here.  this is 4 days after the storm, when our stock ran out. now they have to have a generator by law for the pumps. Most places don't skyrocket the place but some do.
View Quote
I stand by everything I said, but I understand things get shitty.

Gun analogy. Things are getting cheaper now.

Democrats will eventually retake power. (Who knows when, I'm not a political scientist)

Prices will go up then.

During the AWB, prices were ridiculous for two reasons.

1.) Limited supply.
2.) Demand for those products.

You don't have to buy them. You want (or need to) buy them.

Pricing not only invites competition, it also seperates the needs from the wants.

If you have 3/4 a tank of gas and fuel has tripled, you're probably holding off.

If your wife is dying the next state over, you'd be much happier to pay $7/gal and be with her, than find an empty, price controlled gas station.

Conversely, if you're Joe Blow, you don't feel the need to top off "just in case" at $7/gal.

That makes that fuel available to dying wife guy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Same way you hated Trump because your brain is damaged is the same way you don't understand how societies work.

View Quote
I'm as Texan as it gets and the law is fucking stupid, unAmerican, and unTexan.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Then those who live in that area failed to plan.  Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
View Quote
WTF are you even talking about? No one asked you for anything. We'll be fine without you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:01:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Won at politics? No, you lost and are only continuing to lose. No upcoming candidate will share your economic views.
Won the opinion of society? No, you lost that in the election and it is pretty obvious that in this situation in Texas you lost it.
Won in law? No, the people of Texas passed a law against your ideas.
Won at some nebulous claim on the internet that can't be verified and wouldn't directly validate your opinions or ideas anyways? LOL sure go ahead and 'win' that one.
View Quote
My pocket book won, and people looking for handouts, got fucked.  So yeah I won.  Sorry that triggers you, maybe reading some Marx will cheer you up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How many states allow people to swoop in and sell significant amounts of items for profit without a business license or without paying sales tax?
View Quote
When things are that bad, no one cares.  Ever see people selling things like sunglasses and fruit roadside?  How many of those people are collecting and paying sales tax?  Very few.  If a hurricane blasts an area, collecting every penny of tax isn't the government's primary concern.  Plus, if I buy something at retail prices and take elsewhere to re-sell, I've already paid sales taxes on it.  

But, I would truck stuff in if I could make a nice profit for my efforts.  If I can't make money, then I won't bother.  

Enjoy your shortages
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:03:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

WTF are you even talking about? No one asked you for anything. We'll be fine without you.
View Quote
My post was pretty simple and clear.  Sorry it's hard for you to understand.  

Good luck.  Glad you guys have it all under control.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
We will be fine because we are Texans and we'll help each other when needed and I'm sure our neighbors in Louisiana and elsewhere will too.

I just don't need the state to coerce me to.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:08:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Texas is not anywhere close to as badass as people make it out to be.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#43]
So is this part of the liberal trolling floating around this site?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:09:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Texas is not anywhere close to as badass as people make it out to be.
View Quote
Actually it is.

It's just some of our laws and transplants that aren't
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:11:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Price gouging laws are stupid.  They don't even work, and how do you even enforce them?

Plus, when these storms move through the gulf, demand rises, and supply falls, especially because refineries and offshore platforms are going to shutdown if they are in the path of the storm, that makes the S/D problem even worse.

THe rising price of the commodity discourages the marginal purchaser from purchasing more than they really need.  Holding the price arbitrarily low without taking into account the S/D mechanism creates artificial shortages.  People will buy more because price is low, which increases the demand, and further exacerbates the limited supply problem.

It's economically ignorant.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#46]
OP isn't from one of the gulf coast states apparently. Why don't you fly down tomorrow morning for the event and stay a week. That way you get the feel for it. I'm sure you can tell your "capitalism" theory to a lower income family trying to fill up their gas cans to run their generator in order to keep their children cool during the Texas summer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:12:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Actually it is.

It's just some of our laws and transplants that aren't
View Quote
There are a lot of Californians moving there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yes, selling gasoline for seven dollars a gallon while people are trying to evacuate is capitalism.

It's also one of those things that results in a breakdown of societal order very quickly and has people floating around in the gulf with a gunshot wound to the back of the head.
View Quote
The mere opportunity to "price gouge" attracts outside resources to a disaster area.  

If we had any ability to think beyond one level as a species we'd welcome it with open arms.  People in butt fuck North Dakota don't load up their truck with essentials and drive halfway across the country to a disaster zone just to sell at retail price.  They stay home and watch it unfold on TV.

Why not use the profit motive to our advantage to drive men and resources to where it's needed most?  It's not like doing this prevents charities and governmental organizations from doing it for free.  

I'm not even getting started on how high prices encourage conservation and prevents waste.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No, lack of order and people buying up all the gas because it's artificially cheap so that there is none left for anyone gets people killed.
View Quote
Glad I found some common sense on page 1 because I feel like this thread is going to be minefield of derp for the duration.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The mere opportunity to "price gouge" attracts outside resources to a disaster area.  

If we had any ability to think beyond one level as a species we'd welcome it with open arms.  People in butt fuck North Dakota don't load up their truck with essentials and drive halfway across the country to a disaster zone just to sell at retail price.  They stay home and watch it unfold on TV.

Why not use the profit motive to our advantage to drive men and resources to where it's needed most?  It's not like doing this prevents charities and governmental organizations from doing it for free.  

I'm not even getting started on how high prices encourage conservation and prevents waste.  
View Quote
Obama believed that energy prices should rise in order to cut consumption.  Wonder if he was advocating price gouging???
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top