User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
…snip….

If I bought a complete lighting link, that still required to be bent correctly to function, is that a part covered? Or a DIAS that isn't assembled and required the holes drilled, but marked where to drill?

….snip….
View Quote

I’ve got a super easy definition that everyone can follow and understand: Can you install the part in a gun and have a functional machine gun?  If yes, it’s illegal…if no, it’s not. If you modify the part and the answer to that question changes…then you’ve modified the part and made an illegal item.

There doesn’t need to be any gray area in this….quit justifying ATF bullshit rules and interpretations that only serve to keep themselves employed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Can you install the part in a gun and have a functional machine gun?  If yes, it’s illegal…if no, it’s not.
View Quote

Legal or not legal.  Asking for the safety of a friend’s dog

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I’ve got a super easy definition that everyone can follow and understand: Can you install the part in a gun and have a functional machine gun?  If yes, it’s illegal…if no, it’s not. If you modify the part and the answer to that question changes…then you’ve modified the part and made an illegal item.

There doesn’t need to be any gray area in this….quit justifying ATF bullshit rules and interpretations that only serve to keep themselves employed.
View Quote

That makes too much sense
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/238973/9ADB50DC-92E7-4AA2-83E4-B505C4E48DE7-2258540.jpg

View Quote

Its legal according to the law, but not according to how the law is being applied [as it still requires modification of the lower to install].
Its like income tax law, you may not owe taxes according to the actual law, but the IRS applies the tax laws to you anyway, and has the resources to bankrupt you while fighting their criminal acts under "color of law" so no matter what, you lose, they win.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The ATF is out of control.

Hide your coat hangers too, y'all.
View Quote

Rubber bands and belt loops too!
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Can we be charged for reading this post?
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:29:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Most of the federal government is out of control.  The ATF's actions are just another example.
View Quote

No doubt about it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Should I get a lawyer?

I clicked the first page and saw the picture.  According to the ATF I think I just broke the law.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The law states the part must be the part and not something else that can be fashioned into that part. Reading the language isn't interpretation; and the idea that plain verbiage needs "interpreted" is the whole reason the ATF has been able to contrive their own laws from whole cloth in the first place.

The ATF has been creatively stretching the definition of things in order to prosecute "crimes" they know they won't be able to secure a conviction on for years. That doesn't matter to them because they have unlimited money, and if they are only able to bankrupt their target through legal expenditures it is all the same to them. People have successfully won cases going against procedural rules because procedural rules aren't laws and ATF isn't Congress. They know they have no case, but they hope to settle and get a conviction, but if not then making whatever law abiding citizen is their target for the week spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on legal fees is great too.

Speaking of creatively stretching definitions "begun to be manufactured" regarding the subject item is just that.

It isn't illogical in the sense that their actual purpose is to fuck people who go out of their way to avoid breaking the law. It is illogical if you expect a federal law enforcement agency to follow the law and have integrity-and I do understand that those two things are entirely too much to ask.

Statute is clear as to what does and does not constitute a machine gun. The reason it seems that it isn't is that the AFT will confuse the issue depending on the circumstances of individual cases in order to achieve their desired ends. Because they are seeking a predetermined conclusion this invariably leads to conflicting precedents from ATF themselves. E.g. "readily convertible can require a day in a machine shop, or 30 minutes and prefabricated parts.

The confusion is caused by the ATF. The statute is clear.
View Quote

Unless you are posting the law word for word, which you arent... you are in fact formulating an interpretation.

The saws simply states "parts", which is not defined.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I’ll use this line the next time my product engineers tell me I’m late for a deadline.

“You guys had the blueprint and the material is sitting right over here. It’s as good as finished, right?”

But fuck me if their out of spec material ends up with a dimension 1 micron out of tolerance.

I’m a legit machinist and could finish one of these. Most people aren’t and they couldn’t make this operate. Therefore this is a 0% MG.
View Quote

Don't think so highly of yourself, a 16 year old drop out could cut this thing out and make it functional.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You must not have been living in the same US I have for the past few years.

In all seriousness, when you pay the government for a SOT license, you don't get to manufacture and sell items called "auto key cards", with video instructions on how to convert the item you just sold into an illegal NFA item.

Edit: I don't agree with it, but the charge of Conspiracy is correct. They are conspiring to break the law...
View Quote

What part of the 2nd Amendment would they be breaking?
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Its legal according to the law, but not according to how the law is being applied [as it still requires modification of the lower to install].
Its like income tax law, you may not owe taxes according to the actual law, but the IRS applies the tax laws to you anyway, and has the resources to bankrupt you while fighting their criminal acts under "color of law" so no matter what, you lose, they win.
View Quote

Is it illegal without a receiver?
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I’ll use this line the next time my product engineers tell me I’m late for a deadline.

“You guys had the blueprint and the material is sitting right over here. It’s as good as finished, right?”

But fuck me if their out of spec material ends up with a dimension 1 micron out of tolerance.

I’m a legit machinist and could finish one of these. Most people aren’t and they couldn’t make this operate. Therefore this is a 0% MG.
View Quote

If they started to prep the material for manufacturering, either marking the parts to be cut, or loading a CNC machine, would you not consider it WIP?
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

So I'm to assume that every Juror in this case will reach your super easy black and white definition?
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/238973/9ADB50DC-92E7-4AA2-83E4-B505C4E48DE7-2258540.jpg

It's legal 100%, not a single part in that picture is a NFA regulated item, as current m16 and m4s don't require serialization of Posted parts.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So I suppose a hacksaw is illegal if it strolls past a rifle or shotgun?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what exactly does this law say about constructive possession?

We can pull this from the ATF rules... but thats NOT a law.

Held, a firearm, as defined by the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3), is made when unassembled parts are placed in close proximity in such a way that they: (a)Serve no useful purpose other than to make a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length (e.g., a receiver, an attachable shoulder stock, and barrel of less than 16 inches in length); or (b) Convert a complete weapon into such an NFA firearm, including – (1) A pistol and attachable shoulder stock; and (2) A rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and an attachable barrel of less than 16 inches in length. Such weapons must be registered and are subject to all requirements of the NFA.

So I suppose a hacksaw is illegal if it strolls past a rifle or shotgun?

Is that what the LAW says? Or would would that be your interpretation of the atf RULE?

It should probably be understood that a made up rule by the ATF is NOT a law... it has only been given legitimacy through the courts. A case in point would be the definition of a machine gun which while apparently defying the the laws of physics the bumpstock can meet.

You now have the media deciding that they're falling in lock step with the ATF... just on my feed this morning... the explosion in glock autoswitches, and see how a switch can cause an ar15 shoot 30 rounds in 2 seconds.

I'm going to guess that's not a coincidence... you have an out of control administration, an out of control congress, and unless they smack it down so harshly that there is zero room for interpretation an out of control judiciary.

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" is pretty simple English to understand.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's step 5. We're on step 3.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How would you know otherwise without the enforcing agency  clarifying what is or isn't considered a part? Without a strict statutory definitions it's open for ANYONE to interpret... only thing thst matters is which interpretation is going to convince a jury.
View Quote

Well... while I understand you're in part playing devil's advocate, it really is simple. Does it fit without modification.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Does Mr.GunsandGear manufacture or pay someone else to manufacture, then sell and pimp his own product, on his youtube channel, while explaining how to make the M16 lower a functional NFA item all while owning a business that has an FFL+SOT to his name?
View Quote

You seem hung up on the FFL/SOT thing.

I’m not one, nor have I ever read the regulations surrounding how to be one, but does acquiring the license prohibit one from selling pictures of or describing how machineguns work?  Because that’s what you’re saying.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The ATF makes the rules, enforces the rules, and is the technical tester to determine if the thing they investigated based on the rules they made up is illegal.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's your problem... there should be no "in their view"... there should only be "based on statute".

So any agency that is allowed to make up its own laws is a problem... congress abdicated their responsibility and should be hauled over the coals for doing so.

The ATF makes the rules, enforces the rules, and is the technical tester to determine if the thing they investigated based on the rules they made up is illegal.  

Time for the SC to smack down Chevron Deference hard... very hard... so hard that an agency even considering reading it would choose to tell congress they need to clarify the law instead. How often do petty tyrants voluntarily give up power though... ? Which means without penalties they'll just carry on with business as usual.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's step 5. We're on step 3.
View Quote

Step 5 was determined before step 1
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So I'm to assume that every Juror in this case will reach your super easy black and white definition?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The point is... if the ATF were following the LAW the case wouldn't be in court.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If they started to prep the material for manufacturering, either marking the parts to be cut, or loading a CNC machine, would you not consider it WIP?
View Quote

So an 80% receiver is a firearm?

What about a block of aluminum marked at a certain length?
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
…snip….

If I bought a complete lighting link, that still required to be bent correctly to function, is that a part covered? Or a DIAS that isn't assembled and required the holes drilled, but marked where to drill?

….snip….

It's not that simple..... thats the problem....

Is it readily convertible into a machinegun conversion device? If it is, and depending on other "potentially legal" uses, it's an MG

Everyone will now start referring to shoestrings, coat hangers, and having both a shotgun and a hacksaw at the same time.... but that is different.... as all of those items have a multitude of legal uses.

If you have a sten tube, with the cutouts engraved in it, what is its intended legal use?

If you have a piece of spring steel, of the proper material/thickness/etc of a lightning link with the cutouts engraved in it, what is its intended legal use?

Whats the intended legal use of an "80%" Glock FA backplate? Good luck convincing your jury it's an ear ring......

This is nothing new..... this sort of thing pops up..... makes the ATF's radar screen, then goes away

Whats your opinion on the "miniature roses" sold in convenience stores?

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"Auto key card"? Looks like one of those no-touch door opener tools to me.
View Quote
Looks like a bottle opener to me.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Is it readily convertible into a machinegun conversion device? If it is, and depending on other "potentially legal" uses, it's an MG

Everyone will now start referring to shoestrings, coat hangers, and having both a shotgun and a hacksaw at the same time.... but that is different.... as all of those items have a multitude of legal uses.

View Quote

So if on the opposite side of the autokey they stenciled a 4.5 inch ruler now it would be OK because it has another obvious use?
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This. Laws and LE agencies inferring intent in order to stick a crime on innocent people is fucking disgusting.

The problem is that there are actual statutes that outline what is and is not a machine gun, and this meets none of them.

If you can't see how ATF stretching their view to include anything they see fit as some sort of illegal device, then I can see how you might say that illogical things are logical; but the fact remains that stretching the definition of machine gun to include devices that can allow a semiauto to fire multiple shots with a single funcion of the trigger *only after cutting, bending, and assembling* them is far outside their authority, and sets a really terrible precedent. Because you can make a coat hanger do the same thing, after *cutting and bending* it too.

You should stop simping for tyrants.
View Quote

Exactly!  The FATF is consistently co-opting and redefining language to include things the statutory definitions did not approach.  From "constructive possession" bs (which is not a law, but an ideology they apply as needed) to now illegally using proposed rules to assume the powers of the legislative branch, and thereby further redefine statutory language, expanding key words in such ways that nerf guns and chunks of aluminum will qualify as lower receivers and thus firearms!  

If their joke of a proposal hits the federal registry, toys 'r' us and lowes will have to register as FFL's, as will Alcoa and every aluminum processor.

And they do it all for what?  To criminalize the populace.  To make anything but strictly toeing their line a crime that they can punish you over.

If every American could buy machine guns and silencers at their local grocery store, crime wouldn't increase at all- it would likely plummet.  Crimes of possession are a cop-out move to turn the populace into unarmed victims.

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes, the process is the punishment, like a stiff fine even when the charges are dismissed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Up to date enough that and I don't know of any Pre-86 clothes hanger that are registered as an auto sear/Lighting link. I do know that some FFL/SOT have manufactured them in the past 5 years or so, to test and make youtube videos about the functionality. They don't sell AutoHangers on their videos...
View Quote

I'll gladly sell 80% AutoHangers. I just didn't have an ecommerce site when I made the videos.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If you have a sten tube, with the cutouts engraved in it, what is its intended legal use?

If you have a piece of spring steel, of the proper material/thickness/etc of a lightning link with the cutouts engraved in it, what is its intended legal use?

Whats the intended legal use of an "80%" Glock FA backplate? Good luck convincing your jury it's an ear ring......

This is nothing new..... this sort of thing pops up..... makes the ATF's radar screen, then goes away

https://thumb.spokesman.com/0sGVMgiDqenVUIv-_d-r9pAi8lw=/2500x2500/smart/media.spokesman.com/photos/2008/01/18/18crack1_01-18-2008_VFCH1N8.jpg
View Quote
You seem very concerned.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, but it may not stand up in court, since the title of this entrapment thread didn't include 'how to make a bad gun'.
You can claim that you thought it was some sort of automotive part for your Tesla.
Still, you will have to pay the legal fees

Quoted:
Should I get a lawyer?

I clicked the first page and saw the picture.  According to the ATF I think I just broke the law.

Yes...
Welcome to ARFCOM
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Not sure what’s more disgusting, the fed goons or their loyalist water carriers.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Well at least we know that a plastic stock that fires one bullet at a time with a single stock is legal.  But, a plastic stock that fires multiple bullets with a single stock is not.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Not sure what’s more disgusting, the fed goons or their loyalist water carriers.
View Quote

At least I know the ATF is full of constitution shredding jackboots. The water carriers are far worse, since they pretend to love freedom right up until someone loves it more than them, and they rat them out.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You seem very concerned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://thumb.spokesman.com/0sGVMgiDqenVUIv-_d-r9pAi8lw=/2500x2500/smart/media.spokesman.com/photos/2008/01/18/18crack1_01-18-2008_VFCH1N8.jpg
You seem very concerned.

No.....not really concerned..... just trying to inject a dose of reality into some of this discussion.....

There are many people who don't see things the same as an echo chamber of gun owners..... they also vote, serve on juries, and work for federal agencies...

Ignore what they might view things like "autokeycards" are at your own peril
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Damn, how did that get there?
Was trying to post a nude picture of Peta Wilson...

This is why I gave up on trying to copy game programs from a book onto my TI99.
Can;t erev qiute tpye cdoe corrlyec, geuss I:m dislectic
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Joe Biden GAVE the Taliban M4s and Black Hawk helicopters but has the gall to sick his goons on AMERICANs for shit like this.

Impeachment count #9.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

These are machinegun PARTS, not machinegun CONVERSION DEVICES.  I'm sure AFT would and has fucked people over their possession, but they do not fit the definition of conversion device.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is illegal because it is a picture of a machine gun.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/02/37/58/023758860342af6e9e27d1ac485a504e.jpg

Damn, how did that get there?
Was trying to post a nude picture of Peta Wilson...

This is why I gave up on trying to copy game programs from a book onto my TI99.
Can;t erev qiute tpye cdoe corrlyec, geuss I:m dislectic
View Quote

According to that diagram the base plate and the flipper are 2 different thicknesses of metal.  Clearly the Autocard is one thickness. Technicality defense.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Poke the bear enough she's going to bite you. Hard.

Perhaps in 5 years time this case will be resolved.

I wish these gentlemen well.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Joe Biden GAVE the Taliban M4s and Black Hawk helicopters but has the gall to sick his goons on AMERICANs for shit like this.
View Quote
Yep. Elections have consequences.

Trump should not have been such a tough dick on Twitter as to piss off all of those suburban white women. Needed a margin big enough to prevent cheating to win.

Can't get elected on angry white guy me alone.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#45]
When the NFA was written, the various Courts upheld it because it is just a tax. You can pay the tax and exercise your 2A Rights.

Then, the GCA was added. But, it was ruled that you could still buy NFA items. Then the misnamed FOPA we get the now limited pool because of the questionably passed Hughes Amendment.

All of which the various Courts upheld, because the ATF was a TAXING agency and not law enforcement.

Then, in a flash of utterly idiotic "strategery", Bush moved the ATF under the DoJ as part of his Homeland Security power grab. In this move, the legality of ALL of the BATFE's actions take on the force of LAW and not just tracking taxes.

This violates the 2A so fucking hard that anyone trying to keep up appearances should be outright laughed out of the Country. This includes any previous upholding of "gun control regulations" that were predicated on taxation via stare decisis.

This is just the latest bit of unConstitutional idiocy. And if you think it stops here, you obviously aren't paying attention. Or... You are an outright shill/glowie. There IS no in-between on this.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

The language of the law in discussion applies only to NFA items.

So, no.

It is however, why you will never see a 3rd hole marking on a lower reciever, complete or 80%.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#47]
So what if the image was 1/2” or 1” larger all the way around?
Still an MG?

Does size of MG matter?
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So, no.

It is however, why you will never see a 3rd hole marking on a lower reciever, complete or 80%.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, no.

Even though it's not a law...
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Arguably I'm a criminal because I have the photo of the keycard saved on my computer, since drawings of machine guns are illegal now.

Absolutely fucking ridiculous.
View Quote

Can i be your huckleberry?
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pay cash at gunshows. Problem solved. But wear your mask because some tables have cameras.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top