Deciding between 3610s and 3810s. The jump is hefty
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Y'all convinced me.

Help a body armor newb pick a good plate carrier to start.
Esstac Daeodon.
I'm getting that.

Deciding between 3610s and 3810s. The jump is hefty
You're not getting a whole lot going for the 3810 over the 3610, though the 3810 is the better plate. With the 3810 you get 7.62x54r MSC testing and a slightly thinner plate (.98" vs 1.14" for the 3610) plus a slight drop in weight from 4.3 lbs to 3.9 lbs for a 10x12 plate. They're both NIJ Certified so there's no difference there.

If you've got the cash get the 3810. If you don't, save up. If you don't want to save up or you find the specs of the 3610 acceptable for your use then get the 3610.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Isn't body armor illegal to WEAR in Ohio??
View Quote
I know of no such law and don't believe one exists. There's all kinds of funky shit people say about "armor laws" that simply isn't true, mostly because those "laws" people talk about don't exist.

The only major laws I'm aware of concerning ownership/sale of armor within the U.S. is -
  • Connecticut - sale must take place face to face within the state if selling to Connecticut citizen, exemptions for LEO/Mil.
  • No felony possession, period. That's federal law, applies everywhere.
There's a couple cities/jurisdictions here and there (namely some shit town in Illinois) that have placed local restrictions on armor, plus you may not be able to wear it in some government buildings (I.E. court houses) but that's about it. It's almost entirely unrestricted.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Isn't body armor illegal to WEAR in Ohio??
View Quote
Only if you're in the process of committing a felony. Otherwise no, AFAIK.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm certainly not aware of any law that prohibits armor to citizens. They sell armor at local gunshows, nobody says shit about it.

There may be laws about wearing armor while committing a crime.

Not going to worry about it.

ETA: Beat by RocketmanOU
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:20:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Kind of off topic but have always wondered. Which plate carriers have a system to QD the front parts, where the MOLLE/mags and such are?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Meh, I have mine because I was able to score a set of TAP Gamma+ plates off Ebay for $150 back when there were a ton of deals on em. I thought why the hell not.

I desperately need to replace my old carrier though. It's old school and the plates sit waaaaay too low.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Imagine how much better off you will be if the dude who breaks into your house shoots you in your plates instead of your heart.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Also, just wanted to throw this out there -

I know that plate carriers are the super cool "in" thing but don't discount a good soft armor vest.

Handguns make up the vast majority (75%+) of street threats. Handguns and shotguns make up a large portion (~50% to 70% depending on source, debatable) of all firearms owned in the U.S. and a soft armor vest stops both. Plates offer limited coverage and are entirely inflexible. A soft armor vest will offer more coverage, be thinner (generally), and offer protection from a wide range of threats. Pricing for lower end but still decent stuff is typically ~$300 to $400 for a vest so it's not like they're a cost prohibitive option.

There are also soft armor/plate carrier combination systems. Another option is adding soft cummerbund armor to a plate carrier, giving you side protection from handguns/frag. Granted you lose out on having a vented or super light cummerbund but everything is compromise, just depends on what you need.

Just something to think about.
View Quote
I’m thinking along the same lines. For me the cost of armor compared to the cost of hospitalization if you survive makes it a no brainer.

Also, plate carriers make sense in an urban environment where an officer who frequently wears armor needs a light, cool solution and if a bullet strikes a non-vital area at the edge of a plate he is in a trauma center in an hour. We probably won’t have that support and need to protect the entire abdomen.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#9]
For those of you that already have or are looking to buy steel plates, don't forget about some form of spall protection.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Kind of off topic but have always wondered. Which plate carriers have a system to QD the front parts, where the MOLLE/mags and such are?
View Quote
Just look up plate carriers that take placards, that's what it's called.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:51:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Just look up plate carriers that take placards, that's what it's called.
View Quote
Thanks Cake
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

OHMY

Got some details on that set up?
View Quote
It was cheap
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
But it’s already the most ridiculous thing ARF has ever seen. How can you improve on that?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Exactly. FUCK, it's not like we are talking thousands of dollars here. Either see the value in it and buy it, or don't. But I would make sure you have all the ammo mags, gear etc. basics covered before you consider armor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Exactly. FUCK, it's not like we are talking thousands of dollars here. Either see the value in it and buy it, or don't. But I would make sure you have all the ammo mags, gear etc. basics covered before you consider armor.
Training is for suckers.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I case it hasn't been said yet....

Better to have and not need...Than need and not have.

I do some run and gun..I thought after several safety briefs that armor would be wise. I live close enough to the ghetto of Chicago that I thought armor would be wise. And than I thought anytime I may be shot at armor would be wise...So I decided to be wise and buy armor.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
How sharp is you pocket knife?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It was cheap
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OHMY

Got some details on that set up?
It was cheap
I bet
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks Cake
View Quote
Ferro Concepts Slickster, Crye JPC 2.0, Spiritus Systems PC just to name a few.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I bet
View Quote
I’m going to hand sew a new one tomorrow for lols.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Can you do placards on soft armor? Also, what are the better soft armor brands?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think I paid 3 or 400 for a set of ceramics.

I never use it

But its nice to have just in case

Ive spent more on stupid shit that Ive long forgotten about

View Quote
Sums it up
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
That literally just depends on if the carrier is made for it or not. There's no physical reason you can't.

The Mayflower (now owned by Velocity Systems) LPAC is an example. It is actually a PC/soft armor combo system but you don't have to wear plates in it, it just gives you the option to do so.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I took classes that required a plate carrier or chest rig for mags. I figured if I have to have the carrier, might as well have what it’s suppsed to carry and train in it. I hope to God I never actually need it, but it’s nice to have it just in case.

My HD weapon is a pistol - I have kids and keep it in a VLine box under my bed - not comfortable with e rifle where kids can access. If I ever feel the need to get a rifle, which are all in the safe in my basement, and can get there, chances are I have time to also put on my armor. 99.999987% chance this will never happen, but if it does, I have it.

I also have a bunch of food, water and medical supplies down there I hope to never need. So, I put armor in that same “have but hope to never need” category.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#24]
If I bought body armor, my wife would say "What am I, chopped liver?", which means I'm not spending $300-$400, but double that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ferro Concepts Slickster, Crye JPC 2.0, Spiritus Systems PC just to name a few.
View Quote
Yeah the JPC 2 And Spiritus are the ones I've been looking at! Thanks
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How sharp is you pocket knife?
View Quote
Perty dull after cutting down some trees
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That literally just depends on if the carrier is made for it or not. There's no physical reason you can't.

The Mayflower (now owned by Velocity Systems) LPAC is an example. It is actually a PC/soft armor combo system but you don't have to wear plates in it, it just gives you the option to do so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also as for armor brands most of the big names are under Safariland and can be difficult to acquire as a civvie.

Manufacturers that sell to non LEO/Mil. are:
  • Safe Guard Armor (I know nothing about them and they've got nothing on the NIJ list, do your research with these guys)
  • Safe Life Defense (More reputable, larger internet presence and evidence of efficacy, still nothing on the NIJ list though)
  • Citizen Armor (Good to go, 2 models on the NIJ list)
  • Bullet Safe (Nothing on the NIJ list but they've been around for a while and sell tons of products, I've got no real issue with them beyond they've done some gimmicky stuff. Also one of the cheaper options at $300 for a IIIA vest.)

ETA: There's also Body Armor Outlet. They've got several NIJ Cert models (likely private label for them, made by someone else) under their brand as well as being distributors for other brands. I don't know much about them myself so look around a bit.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't understand why someone would own multiple guns for home defense but no armor.

To KISS just grab a Mayflower APC.  OPTactical has a nice model with cushy 3d spacer mesh that is comfy (pro), but picks up crud and burrs if you wear it outside (con).  They also have some clearance Velocity Systems and cheaper Mayflower stuff without the mesh which is fine if you won't be wearing it for hours.

Then order a pair of lightweight 3+ plates from the NIJ list if money is no expense.  If money is an expense then get a plate on the NIJ list that's rated for level 3 plus a special threat rating for 5.56 threats, or a level 4 (heavy ).  There's a bunch of options out there...  IIRC Highcom, SKD Tactical (Carbine Plate), Midwest Armor all sell to civilians and are on the NIJ list, but double check before ordering.

If you feel the urge to get a backup set someday, consider a set of steel plates and another carrier.  Use the steel plates to work out and train in, and they can also rattle around in the trunk of your car (not sensitive to heat or getting crushed).  But get ceramic first.

Another option is to grab a surplus NIJ3A vest from BulletProofMe.  If you look at the FBI data the most common assaults are with pistols and shotguns, which 3A is rated for.  3A vests are also fairly concealable.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Last year I bought a soft vest, a set of ceramic plates and an Esstac Daeodon.  I've worn the soft armor out of the house exactly one time, to go and vote.  I'll probably never use it and I profoundly don't care.  It's one of those better to have it an not need it things.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Guard duty
Driving though dangerous areas
Participation in political demonstrations
Investigating a noise / disturbance outside
Riots
Using public shooting ranges
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#32]
So, I'm thinking of buying some PE plates to keep weight down (I know that they do not stop everything).  I know I want multi curve.  Do I want shooters cut or swimmer's cut or just regular?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So, I'm thinking of buying some PE plates to keep weight down (I know that they do not stop everything).  I know I want multi curve.  Do I want shooters cut or swimmer's cut or just regular?
View Quote
By "don't stop everything" are you saying you're aware of exactly what they don't stop? Because M855 is what they don't stop. A fairly common CONUS threat. If that's acceptable to you that's fine, just making sure you know.

"Regular" isn't a cut. I'm assuming you meant Full or Square cut, as in there's no shoulder cuts? Swimmers vs. Shooters/SAPI vs. Full cut is a personal preference thing. Steeper cuts allow for better ergonomics and lighter weight but at the cost of reduced coverage. Full cut plates are NOT recommended for use as a front plate, nothing wrong with wearing them on the back though. Note however that many carriers, depending on how tight the plate pockets are cut, will NOT accept Full cut plates.

It mostly comes down to what you want and the level of coverage you find acceptable. Shooters/SAPI cut angles work for the majority of people but if you're serious about moderately better ergos, dropping as much weight as possible, and find the reduced coverage acceptable then Swimmers cut may be right for you. Just depends.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#34]
You wouldn't have started this thread if you didn't want to buy it deep down. Better to have it than not.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I've given some serious consideration for body armor while at the range. I'm down to one lung so no spare, but it was nice to have one when the first one went.
Stuff happens, not much to do with damaged parts. It couldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
By "don't stop everything" are you saying you're aware of exactly what they don't stop? Because M855 is what they don't stop. A fairly common CONUS threat. If that's acceptable to you that's fine, just making sure you know.

"Regular" isn't a cut. I'm assuming you meant Full or Square cut, as in there's no shoulder cuts? Swimmers vs. Shooters/SAPI vs. Full cut is a personal preference thing. Steeper cuts allow for better ergonomics and lighter weight but at the cost of reduced coverage. Full cut plates are NOT recommended for use as a front plate, nothing wrong with wearing them on the back though. Note however that many carriers, depending on how tight the plate pockets are cut, will NOT accept Full cut plates.

It mostly comes down to what you want and the level of coverage you find acceptable. Shooters/SAPI cut angles work for the majority of people but if you're serious about moderately better ergos, dropping as much weight as possible, and find the reduced coverage acceptable then Swimmers cut may be right for you. Just depends.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good info.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Are the lightweight level 3 plates from ar500 any good? I have a set of cheap steel plates, but damn they are so heavy, I would almost rather go without.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Are the lightweight level 3 plates from ar500 any good? I have a set of cheap steel plates, but damn they are so heavy, I would almost rather go without.
View Quote
If you want lightweight plates you may as well save up for some lightweight ceramics, even AR500's lightweight plates weigh nearly 7 pounds for the 10x12 ASC with build up coat.

RMA's III+ is 4.5 pounds for a SAPI Medium which is 9.5x12.5. Costs $225 at that size. Once you add multicurve and build up coat to the AR500 plate it's only a $56 difference per plate.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:33:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I know that plate carriers are the super cool "in" thing but don't discount a good soft armor vest.

Handguns make up the vast majority (75%+) of street threats. Handguns and shotguns make up a large portion (~50% to 70% depending on source, debatable) of all firearms owned in the U.S. and a soft armor vest stops both. Plates offer limited coverage and are entirely inflexible. A soft armor vest will offer more coverage, be thinner (generally), and offer protection from a wide range of threats. Pricing for lower end but still decent stuff is typically ~$300 to $400 for a vest so it's not like they're a cost prohibitive option.

There are also soft armor/plate carrier combination systems. Another option is adding soft cummerbund armor to a plate carrier, giving you side protection from handguns/frag. Granted you lose out on having a vented or super light cummerbund but everything is compromise, just depends on what you need.

View Quote
I’m glad you posted this. I’ve been thinking about armor for a while now and have been thinking I’ll most likely get concealable soft armor.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:40:08 PM EDT
[#40]
AR500 is cheap and effective. It does have some downsides though. It should stop most threats, but if the Retro Guys decide to rob your house with those 20" ARs you are screwed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:45:00 PM EDT
[#41]
If you don’t have armor you’re wrong. If you don’t have a way to carry a combat load of 5.56, water, and food you’re wrong.

You’re failing as an American if you cannot fight effectively in said armor and fighting load.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:54:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Any recommendations for under $300? I was looking at this one: https://www.kotaoutfitters.com/product-page/concealable-iii-a-protective-vest
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:01:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Any recommendations for under $300? I was looking at this one: https://www.kotaoutfitters.com/product-page/concealable-iii-a-protective-vest
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll have a tough time getting sub $300 unless you want to buy used or China made. I know nothing about that particular vest and they give no meaningful info on it, not even a model number so I can't look it up. I would contact them and ask who the manufacturer is.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:01:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:04:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Armor stops bullets.

I have steel, which I admittedly never wear, but I'm going to get a ceramic set.

I can't understand being a gun guy and not wanting armor. Shit if I had the money I'd buy a tank.
View Quote
Godamn right
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:07:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:10:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you don't have armor you're wrong. If you don't have a way to carry a combat load of 5.56, water, and food you're wrong.

You're failing as an American if you cannot fight effectively in said armor and fighting load.
View Quote
+1

Quoted:
You can find armor fairly cheap if you wait and watch.

I've picked up used sets of LE body armor and never used LE body armor from places like craigslist and FB market place.

I usually pay about $50 for a complete vest. I recently scored two never worn sets of soft body armor for $80 shipped.

RMA runs plates on sale for $100 every so often. I plan to move to light weight plates next.

So if you really want to get into armor you can and it not cost a fortune.

Personally my priority list would be suppressor, NVG, AR pistol, and then body armor.
View Quote
Holy shit. That's pretty damn good.

There's some good eBay deals to be had if you know what you're doing so you can avoid junk. Lots of UK Police surplus floating around. Problem is you usually don't get your pick of threat rating so it's a guessing game as to what exactly the vest will do until you get hands on with it except when the seller is intelligent enough to actually provide label pics.

And you don't get your pick of materials and they usually don't bother describing weight and size measurements are another guessing game.

Point being you get what you pay for with armor. If you really know your shit you can get good deals buying used/surplus stuff but you've got to know your shit.

Lots of CAT Armor vests on there recently too going for $200 to $300. BALCS cut IIIA armor in MOLLE carriers. It's good shit.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:17:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:20:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top