BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because a 10° shift in temperature from 24 to 34 going from comfortabel to DAMN hot makes sense.
When you have to use decimal point degrees in temperature to make sense to the every day natural world, it's not convenient...

You're measuring small every day objects like paper sizes in increments of 1/100th or 1/1000th of a meter when an integer number of inches will do.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh!

Another " America is dumb because it won't switch to the metric system" thread...

Even though the metric system was developed for science, which is where it is used in America and the English system was developed for every day life, which is where it is used in America.

Maybe the rest of the world is too stupid to time share their brains and use both.

The Metric system makes more sense for everyday use as well.

Because a 10° shift in temperature from 24 to 34 going from comfortabel to DAMN hot makes sense.
When you have to use decimal point degrees in temperature to make sense to the every day natural world, it's not convenient...

You're measuring small every day objects like paper sizes in increments of 1/100th or 1/1000th of a meter when an integer number of inches will do.

You can completely eliminate odd degrees Fahrenheit and nobody would detect the difference.  You don't need half degrees celsius in any real world application.  Funny, in this same thread we have people arguing that speed measurements use numbers that are too large.

Further, a half liter of beer is more than a pint.  How is that a bad thing?

Why is it so hard for people to order meet in 400, 500, 600 grams?  Really?

The mental contortions people go through is simply amazing.  a 64 ounce big gulp - half gallon, is natural and easy to picture, but 2,3,4 liters is not?  Really?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:41:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'll take a half pound of chicken tenders please. its easier than saying I'd like 252 grams of chicken tenders
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh!

Another " America is dumb because it won't switch to the metric system" thread...

Even though the metric system was developed for science, which is where it is used in America and the English system was developed for every day life, which is where it is used in America.

Maybe the rest of the world is too stupid to time share their brains and use both.

No it doesn't, the imperial system is based on whole units for everyday living.  Who wants 500 grams of ham from the butcher, fuck that, I will take 1 pound.  I don't want 250ml of coffee but 1 fucking cup would be awesome.  I go to bar should I order 500ml of beer or would I prefer 1 pint?   The metric system is for extremes, and thusly good for science, not so much for everyday living.

What if you want less than a pound? What are you going to say "ill have 6 ounce and a bit".

Grams is way easier its just a number.

I'll take a half pound of chicken tenders please. its easier than saying I'd like 252 grams of chicken tenders

what about 300 grams?  What is that in pounds?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#3]
The Cola Warrior regulations state 72oz. Therefore, we shall stick to imperial measurements.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I like inches and gallons. Anything else I am free for change
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#5]
We have accepted the metric system in some instances. A 5.7 liter v8 sounds better than the 3 gallon engine. How much oil does it take..................about 5 quarts
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We have accepted the metric system in some instances. A 5.7 liter v8 sounds better than the 3 gallon engine. How much oil does it take..................about 5 quarts
View Quote

I would rather say 350 Cu. In. when talking about displacement.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The mental contortions people go through is simply amazing.  a 64 ounce big gulp - half gallon, is natural and easy to picture, but 2,3,4 liters is not?  Really?
View Quote

Metric spelling I assume  
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Metric spelling I assume  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Metric spelling I assume  

Damn right.  Keyboard efficiency.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'll tell you what boy, only in murica are our shelves that strong
View Quote
i smiled i did

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Common Core Math is for communists and faggots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since The United States is stubbornly retarded and has not switched to the metric system, why is it that we have had 2 liter bottles of soda for more than four decades?
So the Cola companies get to put less in a container but make it sound like more. 2 Liters sounds like it would be more than a 1/2 gallon.  

Do you even math bro?

Common Core Math is for communists and faggots.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#11]
America will never adopt the metric system for one reason....  Deeds.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:22:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Soda? Aren't we really talking about pop?

No wonder that whole metric thing is confusing.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Soda? Aren't we really talking about pop?

No wonder that whole metric thing is confusing.
View Quote

No, it is called soda. It uses soda water. There is no such thing a pop water. If you feel the need to use the word "pop", you have Pop Rocks.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
These threads have become so absurd over the years, I can no longer separate the real derp from the mocking mimicry.
View Quote

Could you ever?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You would order a 1/2 pound or a 1/4 pound.  What kind of cum guzzling communist doesn't like fractions.  Fractions are the fun loving clowns of math. The metric system was created by European women so that they would have something to do while growing armpit hair.  It really doesn't make sense for daily living.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh!

No it doesn't, the imperial system is based on whole units for everyday living.  Who wants 500 grams of ham from the butcher, fuck that, I will take 1 pound.  I don't want 250ml of coffee but 1 fucking cup would be awesome.  I go to bar should I order 500ml of beer or would I prefer 1 pint?   The metric system is for extremes, and thusly good for science, not so much for everyday living.

What if you want less than a pound? What are you going to say "ill have 6 ounce and a bit".

You would order a 1/2 pound or a 1/4 pound.  What kind of cum guzzling communist doesn't like fractions.  Fractions are the fun loving clowns of math. The metric system was created by European women so that they would have something to do while growing armpit hair.  It really doesn't make sense for daily living.

Comedy gold!

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh!

Really ? If you drive 80 KPH you are traveling at 48 MPH what kind of Idiot would drive 48 MPH ?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Could you ever?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These threads have become so absurd over the years, I can no longer separate the real derp from the mocking mimicry.

Could you ever?

Valid point.  There may have been a time when I was better and fooling myself and assuming the best.

Now, I'm just a cynical asshole.

What happened?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Since The United States is stubbornly retarded and has not switched to the metric system, why is it that we have had 2 liter bottles of soda for more than four decades?

http://i.imgur.com/PvV5znR.jpg
View Quote

Believe it or not, we use both systems.  Most people don't realize how much metric is actually used in the US.

We don't just force people to do one thing, in 'Murica we give them options
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh!

lolwut?

We never measure temperature in fractions of degrees in normal life, nor do we measure things like the thickness of paper.

You don't understand how Metric works.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

So the Cola companies get to put less in a container but make it sound like more. 2 Liters sounds like it would be more than a 1/2 gallon.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

2 liters IS more than a half gallon.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Welcome to the party pal!
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#22]
If the metric system is so awesome it should be able to be used as an easy way to measure and tell time. Well guess what, you can't divide a year and a day by 10. So the metric system is communist.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Highway speed is usually 100km/hr so its so easy to work out how much its gonna cost you to travel and how long its gonna take.

200km trip @ $1.50 per litre (12Litre to 100km car for example) =  24 X 1.5 = $36 and about 2 hours travel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck 3/32nds 5/8ths and 7/16ths wrenches; at the same time fuck that retarded liters per 100km fuel efficiently rating.

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only system of measurement used on the moon by people is the imperial system.

The Apollo Guidance Computer operated in Metric, but the measurements were then converted when displayed to the crew.

And what's could possibly go wrong with that?  Crashing on Mars.

Highway speed is usually 100km/hr so its so easy to work out how much its gonna cost you to travel and how long its gonna take.

200km trip @ $1.50 per litre (12Litre to 100km car for example) =  24 X 1.5 = $36 and about 2 hours travel.

No no and no.

I am not going to drive 100km/h when I can drive 65 mph, or 70+ in most states.  Your example is complete dildos.  No sane person would calculate  for some distance.  Its far easier to work with distance per fixed unit.

I could forgive the metric heads if they would at least use km/l (Kilometers per Liter).

How hard is it to work out in imperial?  Gas is $3.50/gal, I need to go 100 miles and I get 20 MPG.  Hmmmm.  Miles/MPG x $

100/20 = 5

5 * 3.5 = $17.50 and it takes me 70/100 of an hour (42 minutes) to get there.  So hard.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Ugh!

View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ugh!

I could say 8 ounces, but that wouldn't even be one meal.  More likely I would say "half pound".

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
They sell all sorts of stupid drink sizes in the US like "megaslurp" "thebigmegasupaslurper" "supaslurpaslurpa" and no-one gives a shit about "everyday living" sizes my man nor how much is in it

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
They are pretty damn close.  Closest thing I could get to an actual pint was 500 ml.  Looks like your drinking from a beaker stolen from chemistry class.   That was utter bullshit.

They sell all sorts of stupid drink sizes in the US like "megaslurp" "thebigmegasupaslurper" "supaslurpaslurpa" and no-one gives a shit about "everyday living" sizes my man nor how much is in it

No, megaslurp = 24 oz.

thebigmegaslurp = 36 oz.

supaslurpaslurpa - 48 oz.

Drinks in ounces make too much fucking sense for people used to ordering liquid in liters or milliliters.  Really?  Milliliters?  My daughters dollhouse had teacups that could actually relate to milliliters.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
God only knows, but I bet its a thing of beauty.  Bye the way, if you are in Austria (America of the South Pacific) shouldn't you be dodging animals that are trying to kills you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
They are pretty damn close.  Closest thing I could get to an actual pint was 500 ml.  Looks like your drinking from a beaker stolen from chemistry class.   That was utter bullshit.

Yeah but when I get an extreme mega gulp I want it to contain 1 fucking gallon of refreshing American made soda, not 3.78 liters of bullshit made up by some faggot in a beret while eating cheese that smells like buckets of asshole (which he assuredly enjoyed).

How much is in a "Megadupaslurpagulp"?

God only knows, but I bet its a thing of beauty.  Bye the way, if you are in Austria (America of the South Pacific) shouldn't you be dodging animals that are trying to kills you.

60 oz.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:41:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

lolwut?

We never measure temperature in fractions of degrees in normal life, nor do we measure things like the thickness of paper.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh!

lolwut?

He believes that we call it 210 mm x 330 mm, and not something remarkably simple and elegant (and communist) like 'A4'.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You can completely eliminate odd degrees Fahrenheit and nobody would detect the difference.  You don't need half degrees celsius in any real world application.  Funny, in this same thread we have people arguing that speed measurements use numbers that are too large.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ugh!

If the cops are going to give you "5 over" then I'd rather those 5 be MPH, not those kph discounted imitations.

I agree on the metric degree thing.

We order meat here in the US.  When we do, I prefer to order small meaningful numbers.  1 ounce is barely detectable in my hand.  A gram is nonsense.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

If the metric system is so awesome it should be able to be used as an easy way to measure and tell time. Well guess what, you can't divide a year and a day by 10. So the metric system is communist.
View Quote

I would also support a move to metric time.

Divide the day into 10 hours each having 100 minutes, subdivided into 100 seconds.

Months should be 30 days even, and the 5 days left over should be permanent holidays.  Leap day would also be a holiday.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Americans use Metric when it matters, Coke and coke.
View Quote
Unless you want an eight ball.

Pot is still measured in ounces and pounds.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
He believes that we call it 210 mm x 330 mm, and not something remarkably simple and elegant (and communist) like 'A4'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ugh!

lolwut?

I don't know how big A4 is, but can it fit inside a normal 8.5x11" sheet of paper?  (yes, I realize some call it letter size.  I only do when making a differentiation from legal (which should be banned))

See, with imperial, I can even nest parenthetics!

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think the imperial system is superior to the metric system for daily living.   It shouldn't matter to scientists and engineers so they should use it as well.
View Quote

The imperial "pound" is based on the metric "kilo". Also, I have seen Americans bake, they spend more time doing math than baking.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No no and no.

I am not going to drive 100km/h when I can drive 65 mph, or 70+ in most states.  Your example is complete dildos.  No sane person would calculate  for some distance.  Its far easier to work with distance per fixed unit.

I could forgive the metric heads if they would at least use km/l (Kilometers per Liter).

How hard is it to work out in imperial?  Gas is $3.50/gal, I need to go 100 miles and I get 20 MPG.  Hmmmm.  Miles/MPG x $

100/20 = 5

5 * 3.5 = $17.50 and it takes me 70/100 of an hour (42 minutes) to get there.  So hard.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck 3/32nds 5/8ths and 7/16ths wrenches; at the same time fuck that retarded liters per 100km fuel efficiently rating.

Quoted:
Quoted:
The only system of measurement used on the moon by people is the imperial system.

The Apollo Guidance Computer operated in Metric, but the measurements were then converted when displayed to the crew.

No no and no.

100/20 = 5

That's so backwards.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

The imperial "pound" is based on the metric "kilo". Also, I have seen Americans bake, they spend more time doing math than baking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the imperial system is superior to the metric system for daily living.   It shouldn't matter to scientists and engineers so they should use it as well.

We have refrigerator magnets with the conversions printed.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
That's so backwards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No no and no.

100/20 = 5

That's so backwards.

How is flow rate measured in SWE?  time/vol?

I think vol/time (or distance) makes far more sense.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have seen Americans try to use a metric recipe.  They spend more time weighing, than anything!

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Divide the day into 10 hours each having 100 minutes, subdivided into 100 seconds.

Months should be 30 days even, and the 5 days left over should be permanent holidays.  Leap day would also be a holiday.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know they tried that fucktardedness right ?

Question for the euros here. Did they change the survey instruments over there?

Metric angles?

1000 degrees in a circle?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
2 liter Cokes shipped in an 8 pk. The 8 pack is a case of 2liters.
View Quote

Yup. 40 cases per pallet.

We also have bottles in:
1/2 ltr.
1.25 ltr
253 mL

Cans/bottles in:
7.5oz
8oz
10oz
12oz
14oz
15oz
15.2oz
15.2oz
16oz
18.5oz
18.6oz
19.2oz
20oz
24oz
50oz

And probably a few others that I can't think of right now

Oh, and fuck the metric system.  Other than work...I won't use it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

But what if I only want 240 grams (0.529109429 pounds), or 260 grams (0.573201882 pounds).That would be really hard to order. Imperial system is as stiff as a Japanese lip.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Metric angles?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Metric angles?

I'm guessing they use radians.  Those are so stupid, there are not an even amount in a circle!  I tried to use a computer to calculate how many radians were in a circle, and it never reached the end!

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

lolwut?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lolwut?

Thickness!?!
Who measure "paper size" by thickness.  
Wrong dimension eurotard.
How about a 3x5 card?
A 5x7 or 8x10 photo?

You don't understand how life works.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Americans use Metric when it matters, Coke and coke.
View Quote

for one of those we use eighths of ounces and grams, for the other we uses both fluid ounces and liters/litres

measurements are the most multilingual aspect of American life.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh!

lolwut?

Why is A4 not something more convenient and rational...like 200mm x 350mm?
Might as well be 212mm x 337mm.
And those are still 1/1000ths of a meter increments because the reference measurement is too large to use in general daily life.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't move to metric time until you invent the metric circle which requires inventing metric pi.

Why would metric months be 30 and not mutliples of 10?  
10, 100, etc.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

no we haven't. that bitch is 350 cubic inches.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because 2 Tbs is so much more difficult to measure than 29ml
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most Americans are idiots and think getting a Stoffers meal and throwing it into the oven is a home cooked meal too.

I'm not going to diss Sweden though, I buy snus from there.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

And those are still 1/1000ths of a meter increments because the reference measurement is too large to use in general daily life.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It follows this equation which means that it can be folded in the middle and you'll get the same size on both pieces:
1:v2 (˜1:1,4142)
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A_size_illustration.svg

Quoted:

Most Americans are idiots and think getting a Stoffers meal and throwing it into the oven is a home cooked meal too.

I'm not going to diss Sweden though, I buy snus from there.

Snus <3

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Can't move to metric time until you invent the metric circle which requires inventing metric pi.

10, 100, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

10, 100, etc.

Because it should be SOMEWHAT related to the mood cycles (I did that on purpose) and besides, I already know the 12 regular months in addition to Smarch.  Lousy Smarch weather...

Why do we need metric Pi?  I thought pi was already metric?

Don't buy it?  Fine then divide the day into 2pi radians, where an hour = pi/5.  Then convert this length of time into decimal form.

There.  I invented it!

It's almost 7.08!

You get the same answer if you just divide the day into 10 hours.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top