Is this real?
View Quote

Is anything real?

ETA:  Yes... seriously.  Pictures are posted in the thread
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

My reply:

have you ever stood in a place where the SS murdered people? I've stood against the wall where people who wore that skull with pride machine gunned innocent from all over Europe. The 9th Fort in Kaunas Lithuania. It makes an impression on you, seeing the pockmarked concrete walls. I tried to imagine what it would have been like, to be helpless, to have the last thing you see is a man in an SS uniform pull the trigger on an mg-42. It is a place of unspeakable evil, a place that you feel the evils of the past stabbing their knives into your very soul, a place where evil triumphed and freedom burned.

To compare the confederate flag to the symbol of the SS is ludacris. To suggest that you are being some kind of culture warrior against the politically correct leftist crowd by using this symbol is equally absurd. It has nothing to do with being tough, or bad ass. THOUSANDS of AMERICAN servicemen gave their lives to defeat this kind of evil, and you are branding your company with a symbol they fought, bled, and died to rid the world of, to prevent it from taking more lives. Shame on you, you are as foolish as you are ignorant. Our honored dead, the men who gave everything to stop this evil at places like Bastogne, Malmady, and Normandy are rolling over in their graves as we speak. Your "point of view" is an insult to every american solider who ever laced up a boot from 1941-1945. Why not pick a rising sun, or a hammer and sickle? I will tell you why. The fact is, like it or not, symbols have meaning, and the totenkopf will be forever linked with murder of innocents, death, destruction and oppression.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You may not have recognized the name, but if you know anything about the SS and the holocaust, you would recognized the death head skull.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Slight thread drift.... I was a german language minor and I had visited Germany in the summer on 1989, before the Wall came down that fall.

Obviously, all the nazi and SS stuff was completely avoided because I had no clue what a Totenkopf symbol was until 5 minutes ago.

You may not have recognized the name, but if you know anything about the SS and the holocaust, you would recognized the death head skull.

Now that you mention, I do remember seeing the skull symbols on uniforms from WWII pics, but I never put it together that the "Totenkopf" = SS .

Yes, I feel like a tard.  Feel free to commence with the 13'er comments.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:Yes, I feel like a tard.  Feel free to commence with the 13'er comments.  
View Quote

Buck up you aren't that bad.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#6]

So the company really is run by retards.

Retarded Nazis, what a winning combination.

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#7]
To offend me you would have to talk smack about my SO/family members.

Some of you are as bad as the butt sensitive libtards.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#8]
They're busy deleting Facebook comments.

ETA, maybe not.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hmm, men wearing those symbols butchered 68 innocent Italian villagers because those people hid my Grandfather after he was shot down.  Is that close enough?  Do I have your permission to be furious now?
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#10]
"Smith Enterprise has never been politically correct, nor will we ever be."

*pats self on back*

*rebrands product with Nazi symbols*

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Doesn't matter if it predates or not. It is in bad taste and will attract an unfortunate crowd. Marketing is the art of making ones products or services desirable. This will alienate a lot of people.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Totenkopf pre-dates the Nazis, much like the Swastika. Don't let the ignorant conscript history.

Totenkopf, yes. The SS-Totenkopf? Well, no, that didn't pre-date the Nazis.

Doesn't matter if it predates or not. It is in bad taste and will attract an unfortunate crowd. Marketing is the art of making ones products or services desirable. This will alienate a lot of people.

This.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm not bothered by it.
View Quote

Me either, I'm more bothered by the fact that I bought one of their Crazy Horse M14s that was a complete POS.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#13]
It's an interesting position to take.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some people's family members fought, or were killed by the nazis.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'm not bothered by it.          
View Quote

I'm not either, but if my family was herded off to the gas chambers it would sure as fuck bother me.

This is in horrible taste.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Me either, I'm more bothered by the fact that I bought one of their Crazy Horse M14s that was a complete POS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not bothered by it.

Interesting
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Interesting
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not bothered by it.

Interesting

I owned AKs that were more accurate.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#18]
No deal. Disco Stu doesn't advertise.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Same here.

Pantie binding over it really makes me wonder WTF.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not bothered by it.          

Same here.

Pantie binding over it really makes me wonder WTF.

Wow...
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm not bothered by it, but I do think its a really dumb idea.SEI's rationale that they're exact copy of the SS totenkopf has nothing to do with the SS is totally pants on head retarded. Of course people are going to associate it with Nazis because its an exact fucking copy of the SS death head. In case SEI didn't the memo, Nazis are the baddies and the SS are a bunch of dicks and nobody should like them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Butthurt? Nope. Calling something in bad taste for what it is? Yup. You'll learn the difference, child, some day when you grow up.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#22]
It might bother you, it might not. Even so, although I'm not in marketing I'm pretty sure one of their top ten suggestions is to never make your company look like literal Nazis, and i think most of us can agree this is a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

check out the laser engraving on the brakes
http://www.googlepixel.com/images/derpskullsmith.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Appears to be just a sticker. At least I hope. They'd be foolish to switch from the one they have now to this. As pedestrian as the current one is, this is light years more terrible.

Good corporate branding should not look like 9th grader slapped some random typeface on top of a piece of clip art, sorry to say.

Development of a logo, particularly one that a brand identifies itself with, should be rigorous process, usually highly expensive, and should be integrated into the company's aesthetic identity as a whole in all media fronts. This looks like it was made by an intern who can open MS Paint.

check out the laser engraving on the brakes
http://www.googlepixel.com/images/derpskullsmith.jpg

Ummagawd.

They could've done something, anything, and it could've been a better logo. They could've just used a Helvetica-type logo like every other goddamn company out there and it still would have been better than this. Shit, just make the logo of a vortex flash hider. That would even work.

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#24]

SEI is doubling down!  That should work out well for them!
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hmm, men wearing those symbols butchered 68 innocent Italian villagers because those people hid my Grandfather after he was shot down.  Is that close enough?  Do I have your permission to be furious now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My family is Polish. I will never forget, but I can't afford to waste emotional energy on the past. Poor taste on the part of SEI, but that's their problem.

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Y'know, there's stupid.... and then there's refined, weapons-grade stupid......
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:40:38 PM EDT
[#27]
FIFY...
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Just don't bad mouth it. You might have a lawsuit on your hands.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Unbelievably stupid business decision. This is basically flaunting 88 shit and daring people to buy it. Fuck Smith with a cactus.
View Quote

Actually, probably not a bad business move. The majority of the people upset over their Nazi symbol probably already won't buy their shit based upon their history of being dumbasses. Now they are getting a bunch of attention, and the people who would buy from them after knowing what an dumbass company they already were will buy anyways.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Actually, probably not a bad business move. The majority of the people upset over their Nazi symbol probably already won't buy their shit based upon their history of being dumbasses. Now they are getting a bunch of attention, and the people who would buy from them after knowing what an dumbass company they already were will buy anyways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unbelievably stupid business decision. This is basically flaunting 88 shit and daring people to buy it. Fuck Smith with a cactus.

Anyone who would spend over $3k on M14 is already of questionable intellect.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:My family is Polish. I will never forget, but I can't afford to waste emotional energy on the past. Poor taste on the part of SEI, but that's their problem.

View Quote

I once met a belgian exchange student on the range. He was shooting a .22. I cranked out my ak. He said he was torn about gun ownership. I told him the Germans were about due to get froggy soon. He blinked for a minute and then tried my ak.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Whats next, a joint product release with DAK? Oops, I mean US Palm?
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#35]
They're an M14 making company.  The M14 is an American rifle.
I can't help but think that a logo with a single feather in it would be more appropriate.  You know, after that one dude, what's his name?

If you must do the skull & bones thing, why the heck not just do the Jolly Roger?
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I can't help but think that a logo with a single feather in it would be more appropriate.  You know, after that one dude, what's his name?

If you must do the skull & bones thing, why the heck not just do the Jolly Roger?
View Quote

That Macaroni guy?
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#37]
This is as dumb an idea as the SS Scout Sniper logo.

Dumbass decisions, both of them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey I like the products from the Scotsdale Hun Club.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I hope you have a good lawyer...
View All Quotes

That's not a swastika, thats the Smith Enterprise cross.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Is anyone offended by this logo?

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I believe that Carlos Hathcock already licensed his name to Springfield Armory for an M14/M1A
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#42]
At first I thought this was just more GD overreacting but then I looked at the actual SS skull and compared it to Smith Enterprise's skull. I think they literally google searched "Nazi SS Skull."
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#43]
I really want to like them and believe in their products, but Ive seen enough from them to weird me out on a basic level.  I don't need to buy things from people that are easily  and litigationally butthurt on a forum post, regardless of the douchebagger involved.  And now this gem of a decision…..  Im just over them…. nothing to see here……

ETA: Site Staff, it may be time to let these guys go..  good things follow them not.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That Macaroni guy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That Macaroni guy?

Funny.

Carlos Hathcock II.  A hell of  a sniper.... although I don't know that he ever bothered with a M14 (but he did use a M2 50 cal with a scope mounted on it for  a while!)
93 confirmed kills (although he himself gave an estimate of around 300 actual kills), including a NVA general.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#45]
For the love of God, please, nobody quote that US Palm graphic. Holy wall of text!

And yes, people are offended by it too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Funny.

Carlos Hathcock II.  A hell of  a sniper.... although I don't know that he ever bothered with a M14 (but he did use a M2 50 cal with a scope mounted on it for  a while!)
93 confirmed kills, including a NVA general.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That Macaroni guy?

Funny.

93 confirmed kills, including a NVA general.

Yah.  I know who he is. That guy from that Markie Mark film Shooter.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
For the love of God, please, nobody quote that US Palm graphic. Holy wall of text!

View Quote

Smart money draws a line.

I've always liked this logo.

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm lost on the U.S. Palm one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:11:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Reminds me of a scene from Clerks 2.
They are "taking back" the SS Totenkopf??

Clerks 2 - Taking Back "Porch Monkey"
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Funny you mention that...That kind of thing happens occasionally...

It's one thing to steal a symbol from a defeated enemy.
A Navy fighter squadron, VF-111, slapped a version of the rising sun on the tails of their aircraft starting in the 60s or 70s.  Many people would undoubtedly recognize this from certain Japanese flags, and VF-111 traced it's history back to WW2.  They took a symbol from an old enemy, cut it up, and put a section of it on their aircraft.

Even more close to the subject of this thread, the USMC at one time stole some symbols from the DAK.  I'm pretty sure that everybody here remembers the DAK palm tree and that many people around the world would recognize it as well.

Well the USMC liked it so much that they slapped it on their tanks.

But obviously they didn't make an EXACT FUCKING COPY of the original, they played with it and stuck their own symbol in there.  You'd have to be a complete and total idiot to take a direct copy of a well known symbol of hate and criminal behavior, and smack it on your shit without modifying it at all.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top