BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd not be surprised to find that the people most adamant that they don't want/need these extra safety features are likely people who would most benefit from them... or others would benefit from those people having them. If auto braking stops you from plowing into someone that's great, if it stops you from plowing into me then it's even better. I'm not particularly sympathetic to the concern that in 15 years some safety system might need maintenance and you don't feel like paying for it. If you're so staunchly of that opinion you're still free to go buy a pickup truck from the 60s and enjoy your lack of everything as you drive around not worrying about sensors or touchscreens (but I'm guessing you don't do that because you know it sucks.)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's cool just make it an option, not a mandate. I pay cash for my vehicles and drive them until the wheels fall off. I don't want to be nickel and dime'd fixing electrical problems and replacing expensive touchscreens and monitoring sensors.
I'd not be surprised to find that the people most adamant that they don't want/need these extra safety features are likely people who would most benefit from them... or others would benefit from those people having them. If auto braking stops you from plowing into someone that's great, if it stops you from plowing into me then it's even better. I'm not particularly sympathetic to the concern that in 15 years some safety system might need maintenance and you don't feel like paying for it. If you're so staunchly of that opinion you're still free to go buy a pickup truck from the 60s and enjoy your lack of everything as you drive around not worrying about sensors or touchscreens (but I'm guessing you don't do that because you know it sucks.)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My F350 has a build date of 7-23... I guess we will see what happens.
View Quote

From what I’m hearing they will be down the week of 7/11, so I doubt it will be built on 7/23. After that they will be running a reduced schedule until early-mid August.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:18:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's basically Toyota's version of Subaru Eyesight.

Crash avoidance, lane departure warnings, adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring...

View Quote

In other words it's made for clowns that are more busy finger fukn their phones than actually operating a motor vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I am not talking about BMWs engineers here...I am talking about the good ole boys from Detroit. The ones that used to make stuff reliable
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

1500 Fjords?
View Quote

1500 Fjords a day would be truly impressive.  Norway is going to be pissed.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Please explain what engineers would have done to prevent a global shortage? and infotainment has nothing to do with this either.

Nothing brings out the herp and derp here like auto threads.
View Quote

Not design dumb stuff that no one needs into a truck.  Spark, Fuel, Compression and window cranks worked just fine and didn't allow anyone to track you or turn you off remotely.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

From what I'm hearing they will be down the week of 7/11, so I doubt it will be built on 7/23. After that they will be running a reduced schedule until early-mid August.
View Quote
Yeah, they will be down the week before and I noticed since they started scheduling the 2022s they were never scheduling for that first week. Now I possibly see why. Mine and many others had a week of schedule of the 19th... quite a few got bumped well into August/Sept. but mine got scheduled to the day of the 23rd (week of the 19th).
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

yep....and all the dumb shit no one asked for.

That's waht happens whan you let the marketing department make decisions and not the engineers.

The marketing department probably polled all Those soi bois in Dallas to see what they want in a truck
View Quote
Or 99% of Arfcom truck buyers.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

lol wut

American designed vehicles have steadily been getting more reliable, not less. The good ole boys from Detroit designed and made less reliable trucks.

Can't tell if this is satire or you're over 70.
View Quote

Yeah right because wheel bearings with a plastic cage are so much better than the old wheel bearings with a metal cage. Lets not even get into all the fucking useless electronics that are tied into everything and are a expensive to fix.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In other words it's made for clowns that are more busy finger fukn their phones than actually operating a motor vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crash avoidance, lane departure warnings, adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring...

Pretty much.

I can't wait until you can't even drive the car yourself and the average vehicle cost is $87,000. Think of all the lives we will save!

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

eggsactly
View Quote

They sell every single fucking one they make, a good portion of which are over 60K... I think the people are asking for it, even if you poor mother fuckers aren't
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Please explain what engineers would have done to prevent a global shortage? and infotainment has nothing to do with this either.

Nothing brings out the herp and derp here like auto threads.
View Quote

Really?  How about these non controversial threads:

Police threads
Harley threads
Pension threads
Religious threads
Colt threads

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe they’ll make a 4runner without the infotainment system and go back to the bulky knobs… then I’ll finally buy a new one. Less computers and more reliable and I’m in.

(Also, use the chip shortage as a reason to reduce fuel standards so they don’t have to overwork the engines so we can go back to reliability over another couple of miles per gas tank)
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Many people either forgot or never knew how rough old truck rode and how uncomfortable they were without cruise control
and power steering. Those were welcome improvements that did increase the price of them. Up until recently the prices
of truck followed the inflation curve. I remember looking at a new Dodge truck in about 1988 and it was 14k dollars. It had power
window, a/c and cruise control. I could not afford it. Three years later I was able to buy one.

My point is that there are people that can afford them, people that will be able to afford them and people that won't be able to
for various reasons.  Auto manufacturers are in business to make money as are any other businesses. They cater to the people
that will buy their products plain and simple. The pipe dream that they would build low selling models is just that, a pipe dream.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Op.

I hope you do understand this is affecting ALL industries right?

CAT has production delays.
PACCAR has production delays.
Freightliner has HUGE production delays.

Etc.
View Quote

So... what you're saying is...
The covid commies seized the means of production?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Pretty much.

I can't wait until you can't even drive the car yourself and the average vehicle cost is $87,000. Think of all the lives we will save!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.

How cute, boomers bonding over their fear of progress.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I just got a GMC Elevation 4wd for under $50,000

It has everything I need
View Quote

It doesn't have the capacity I need. I wouldn't pay 50k for a truck that doesn't make me money.

Truck I'm looking at can tow 34k
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You can thank the Cameron Gulbransen Kids Transportation Safety Act of 2007 for your screen.

Muh “there oughta be a law!!! Fo da chillens!”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Muh 12" infotainment screen.

You can thank the Cameron Gulbransen Kids Transportation Safety Act of 2007 for your screen.

Muh “there oughta be a law!!! Fo da chillens!”

I am glad they passed that law, now all trucks have back up cameras to help hitch me trailer
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1500 Fjords?

This Thread has BIG FJORD ENERGY!
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep....and all the dumb shit no one asked for.

That's waht happens whan you let the marketing department make decisions and not the engineers.

The marketing department probably polled all Those soi bois in Dallas to see what they want in a truck

GD loves F150s and Trannys
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.

Nope. Born in the 80s. I simply do not desire unneeded costs and complexity added to my vehicles. I'm sorry if that offends you to the point that you must lash out with ad hominem attacks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Real trucks don't need fucking chips.
View Quote
Except in bag ,next to your beer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I love all the tech shit in my 2021 F150.  I love vented seats on 90+ degree days and my 12 inch infotainment screen.  Obviously, there's a demand.

i have no interest in buying a stripped down truck.
View Quote

Except for fleet sales and liars no one is interested in buying stripped down trucks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Geez op I wish I could chime in but I'm too skeerd.

I have all the answers
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In before someone equates you pointing out many accessories are dumb to you wanting crank windows and an AM radio.
View Quote

Maybe stop circle jerking with the dude who doesn’t want AC and maybe people would stop assuming what you want.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Nope. Born in the 80s. I simply do not desire unneeded costs and complexity added to my vehicles. I'm sorry if that offends you to the point that you must lash out with ad hominem attacks.
View Quote

You have no clue about what advancements were made before you could drive. If you did you
would see things differently.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Except for fleet sales and liars no one is interested in buying stripped down trucks.
View Quote

Nah man it’s all a conspiracy. You see they put the fleet models behind all the loaded out ones forcing you to walk a few extra feet. As we are all collective fat asses we just pick the closest truck to buy, which just so happens to be the most expensive one.

And if you think I’m being ridiculous this is an actual theory spouted in these threads here.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
The prognosis isn't good if you've already gone full boomer. 20 years ago you'd have been crying about how ABS is stupid and nobody needs it.

Anyways, I'm happy to drive around while my air conditioned seats massage me and my various safety features give me the best chance of avoiding a collision or minimizing injury if one happens. If a system needs service at some point then I'll have it fixed.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You have no clue about what advancements were made before you could drive. If you did you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've probably driven older cars than you have.

Regardless, what does any of that have to do with me not liking an iPad that controls things that could be controlled with a button, switch, or dial? What does that have to do with me not like the fact that my car can slam on the brakes without my input?

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Regardless, what does any of that have to do with me not liking an iPad that controls things that could be controlled with a button, switch, or dial? What does that have to do with me not like the fact that my car can slam on the brakes without my input?

View Quote

You are clueless.

I was driving 1950 2.5 and 5.0 ton military trucks before you were born.

Your .Gov mandated that.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ordered my F350 7.3 last week. X Plan. Keeping my fingers crossed. Haven’t received a build date yet.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You are clueless.

Your .Gov mandated that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are clueless.

Your .Gov mandated that.

The government mandated every car must automate every vehicle function through a giant tablet stuck to the dashboard?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The government mandated every car must automate every vehicle function through a giant tablet stuck to the dashboard?
View Quote

No they mandated collision avoidance vehicle function.

You are an ignorant person
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You'll only continue to get more of that.  You can thank .gov
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll only continue to get more of that.  You can thank .gov

Collision avoidance, lane keeping, etc will be standard equipment on all cars sold in the US for the 2022 model year by voluntary agreement between the manufacturers.
The manufacturers agreed to add the features voluntarily in lieu of the NHTSA imposing a regulation requiring it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I have to like it?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

that reminds me of my child hood in a way, when I was a kid my dad would get me to go with him to the store. When it was cold out, he would make me stay in the car and then run a dryer vent hose from the tail pipe into the cab to stay warm.

worked really good too, it just sucked if he took too long because i'd get a head ache.
View Quote

That belongs in one of those “when I was a kid…” memes
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So I have to like it?
View Quote

No but you have to accept it if you buy new. My 2015 will stomp on what ever you have and does not have that.

Again you are ignorant to what happened. I am much older than you. Your gen voted for Obama. Reap what you sow.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No but you have to accept it if you buy new. My 2015 stomp on what ever you have does not have that.

Again you are ignorant to what happened. I am much older than you. Your gen voted for Obama. Reap what you sow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I have to like it?

No but you have to accept it if you buy new. My 2015 stomp on what ever you have does not have that.

Lol
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What do chip shortages have to do with soyboi's?
View Quote

Literally nothing and this has been well known info for months...
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Ordered my F350 7.3 last week. X Plan. Keeping my fingers crossed. Haven't received a build date yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ordered my F350 7.3 last week. X Plan. Keeping my fingers crossed. Haven't received a build date yet.

Ordered on 4-26... 7.3 also. From what I have seen at least the 7.3s have been the large majority being scheduled.

Certain XLTs with 3 particular addons/packages are on hold being scheduled and there will be no scheduling for SuperDutys this week (usually done on Thursdays).
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#43]
The plant closure for the Bronco is due to hard top shortage. The company, Webasto that makes the tops is run by complete fucking idiots. I may very well not get my Bronco that I reserved within hours of reveal because of those shit birds.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 5:44:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I am not talking about BMWs engineers here...I am talking about the good ole boys from Detroit. The ones that used to make stuff reliable
View Quote

Most of those guys are gone. At least at gm. Every engineer I talk to is fresh out of school. They all got pushed out years ago.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 5:55:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Whole thing comes from Ford cutting their orders when the pandemic first hit losing their place in line for production of chips. Hmm a "pandemic" where people didn't want to crowd together on public transit and throwing money at people left and right. Bad play on some exec at Ford for the most part.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My biggest gripe with new cars is how they take things that used to be simple and mechanical and replace them with digital/electronic controls that add to the vehicle cost and create expensive headaches when they fail.

That and the nanny shit. Take Toyota for example... You can't even buy a truck now without
Toyota Safety Sense.
View Quote

All if that is actually a testbed for autonomous vehicles when you think about it. Nothing wrong with an accelerator cable. Nor has drive by wire. made any real improvements. But it does serve as a way to test out new systems.for future cars in real world situations.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 6:14:26 AM EDT
[#47]
OP, I bet IRL you like to speak just hear the sound of your own voice.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 6:16:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Did you hit your head?
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 6:43:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Collision avoidance, lane keeping, etc will be standard equipment on all cars sold in the US for the 2022 model year by voluntary agreement between the manufacturers.
The manufacturers agreed to add the features voluntarily in lieu of the NHTSA imposing a regulation requiring it.

Kharn
View Quote

Negative. I have a 2022 RAM on order with only blind spot monitoring. No lane assist, emergency braking or automatic cruise control. And that's in a Limited. I would be surprised if that stuff is offered in a Tradesman. You can't even get blind spot monitoring in a Laramie right now.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 6:51:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Who cares? I don't. I am in no hurry to buy any of these overpriced complicated status symbols.
All of my current vehicles have at least 10 years left in them.
I plan on going the other way  and building what I want starting with an older truck anyway.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top