Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 136
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
@subcomunic8r  In 1991 the FCC removed the Morse Code requirement testing for the Tech license.  The newer radios can call CW for you, when the message is inputted, and can interpret the replies back out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Their deaths, while tragic, will not be without value.

It's another reminder to humanity of the very real risks associated with going to places inhospitable to life.

Who knows the number of people that will now reconsider plans that, if carried out, would have resulted in their demise.

Life is perilous and fragile and we are all better off for the reminder.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I never would have thought to use a ham radio to meet girls.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got a QSL from Pearl Harbor while on the east coast on hf voice. I used to send 18 women and receive 22 women Morse code, all without a ham license. You?

I never would have thought to use a ham radio to meet girls.

Fucking auto correct. But if it worked I’d use it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's another reminder to humanity of the very real risks associated with going to places inhospitable to life.

Who knows the number of people that will now reconsider plans that, if carried out, would have resulted in their demise.

View Quote

LOLZ

Nobody cares. We're all watching in morbid enjoyment shouting FAAFO.

Tens of thousands of people are getting killed in Ukraine, nobody cares.

I'm sure hundreds drown every year in make shift rafts trying to escape Cuba... Nobody cares.

Thousands of Africans and Arabs are drowning trying to get to Europe.

They're going to spend $10s of millions looking for these dumbshit billionaires, why not use those assets to save Cubans trying to escape communism?

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The new company will be run by a bunch of white dudes in their 50s. They might rename it Whitewater.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing it has something to do with weighing 22K pounds and needing 3 miles of "tether" to do that.
Harbor Freight winch, some 1/4" aircraft cable and some pulleys. Would fit with the design standard of that turd.

Apropos of that, they're reforming the company as Watergate...

The new company will be run by a bunch of white dudes in their 50s. They might rename it Whitewater.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
@subcomunic8r  In 1991 the FCC removed the Morse Code requirement testing for the Tech license.  The newer radios can call CW for you, when the message is inputted, and can interpret the replies back out.
View Quote

So no, you never have sent or received Morse code?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

they used an ARFCOM favorite  . . . . a BAOFENG

https://i.imgur.com/GzdwkAd.jpg

View Quote

Yeah, but what I want to know is can the meglinating variable intensity multifunction power tool emplace half-seized sprats and brass-fitted nickel slits, with bracketed caps and splay-flexed brace column vent dampers to dampening hatch depths of one-half meter from the damper crown to the spurv plinth?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#9]
The more I read from you guys, and the lawsuit docs, I am convinced the hull failed, It imploded and they're all dead.

They're going to find parts like the alloy caps, but that's going to be it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm sure this has been posted but the court case document is here:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23854184-oceangate-v-david-lochridge

That is the whole fucking story. Right there.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They can't..... At least not anyway near the time frame.. Humans are terrifying... Any chance most likely expired the second they choose NOT to have a actual rescue plan in place to begin with.... the rescue ship would have needed to be on-site with all the needed capabilities for them to have a chance in hell.... What you see now is a show for the Lemmings... Nothing more... RIP hope it was quick.....
View Quote

There are ships there now capable of winching it up. Are you saying that if they found it this instant on the ocean floor, it would be be impossible to use one of the several ROVs there to attach the cable and pull it up in less than ~14 hours?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Over the years, 22 scuba divers have perished diving on the Andrea Doria wreck. I have no doubt the the Titanic will continue to claim lives.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

-the amount of lateral drag/tension on 1/2" line three miles long would be extreme, it'd drag that little sub backwards wherever the current wanted.  Anyone that has had a billfish on the line with .017" braid would shudder at the notion of 3 miles of 1/2" line with any current whatsoever with nothing more than a golf ball tied to the end.

But, yes, Kevlar is strong for size.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kevlar rope. 31k lb tensile is only 1/2” diameter.

-the amount of lateral drag/tension on 1/2" line three miles long would be extreme, it'd drag that little sub backwards wherever the current wanted.  Anyone that has had a billfish on the line with .017" braid would shudder at the notion of 3 miles of 1/2" line with any current whatsoever with nothing more than a golf ball tied to the end.

But, yes, Kevlar is strong for size.

ROV’s have gone to Challenger Deep with an umbilical.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why the hell would the thing not have been tethered to the mothership?

Something goes bad, just winch it back on up.
View Quote

2.5 miles of chain is gonna take a bigger boat.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:06:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ask the network dudes, not the sonar dudes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#16]

The more I've read the more I've pictured similar, just with minions
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I just got back from up north.  Just heard about this today.  It sucks.  

Did you know that after all of these years the pool in the Titanic is STILL filled with water?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#18]
No updates, just still speculation.  The shitposting continues ...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#19]

QA was shit

Serious reservations about safety raised verbally; dismissed.

Dismissal of concerns led to written report. Bloke got fired, lawsuit.

USS Woke goes on missions, gets lucky a few times, then the laws of nature decide to stop stroking the CEO's ego. 5 people now missing presumed dead, with the presumption very heavily on dead.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Vegas will make odds on anything...

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well its been fun following this thread.

Honestly its been educational.

However it seems that its come to an end, unless the finger of God happens to intervene between now and tomorrow morning.

I'll pray that He does and hope that it's His will.
View Quote

Now its about finding the submersible.  Be it in scattered fragments and sections, or resting somehow on the bottom.
If its intact, do any of the families demand it be raised to recover the bodies?
And how long does it take to locate?  Its a pretty small target
Maybe it never gets found because its small
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just got back from up north.  Just heard about this today.  It sucks.  

Did you know that after all of these years the pool in the Titanic is STILL filled with water?
View Quote

Someone did mention that on a page in the 50's.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Probably means he has a Technician and higher level General license. You take the exams in order, but I have never heard anyone referring to one of the higher levels as having multiple licenses. You are just licensed at a higher level.
View Quote
Same call, same FCC ID, same license.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not inhospitable to life. There are numerous creatures down in the depths of the Mariana Trench which includes the deepest known location at Challenger Deep.

I always like the saying 'life finds a way'. No doubt there is a ton of bacteria and micro life that lives down there.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I own torque wrenches because of carbon fiber bicycle components.

I have experienced and felt carbon fiber failures. CF doesn't compress well.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Explorers Club president says life-saving deep sea surveillance drones for Titanic sub search are being caught up in red tape by the Coast Guard and GOP Rep. Dan Crenshaw demands answers

Richard Garriott, president of the New York-based Explorers Club, on Wednesday said vital rescue equipment was being held up by US bureaucracy

The president of the New York-based Explorers Club has accused the U.S. government of delaying the delivery of vital equipment for the search for the missing Titanic tourist sub.

Richard Garriott told National Geographic that he had complained to top officials about the bureaucracy hampering the race against the clock.

Two of the five on board - British billionaire Hamish Harding and French Titanic expert PH Nargeolet - are members of the Explorers Club.

Other members have worked to enable deep sea company Magellan, based in Guernsey in the British Isles, to ship its surveillance equipment to the site: Magellan has Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) which last year surveyed the Titanic site.

Yet Magellan has not obtained the permits necessary to get to the site, Garriott said.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/06/22/01/72394779-12220639-image-a-30_1687392732362.jpg

Richard Garriott, president of the Explorers Club, on Wednesday accused the US government of holding up efforts to get equipment to the rescue site

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/06/22/01/72394785-12220639-image-a-31_1687392794859.jpg

A Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) operated by Magellan is pictured in action

He wrote on Wednesday afternoon to Vice Admiral William Galanis, commander of Naval Sea Systems Command; U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral John W. Mauger, who is leading the recovery mission; Congressman Lloyd Doggett; and Representative Eric Swalwell, urging them to allow Magellan to the site.

'Magellan has received mixed signals, first hearing from US Gov to get ready, waiting for plans - then getting told to stand down,' wrote Garriott.

The U.S. Coast Guard has not responded to DailyMail.com's request for comment.

Garriott told National Geographic that, even with only 24 hours of air left, it was vital to continue fighting to find the missing sub.

'Whatever the right thing is to do, we should still do it, even if it's now at the cusp of fatality,' he said.

The Magellan Argus-class ROVs are capable of deploying to 6,000 meters (19,700 feet) and are outfitted with external arms that can retrieve and raise Titan.

They could be delivered to the site within 16 hours.

Instead of Magellan's ROVs, the U.S. Navy has sent its Flyaway Deep Ocean Salvage System, which was used to retrieve an F-35 from 12,400 feet of water in March.

But Garriott said that there are fears the Navy's equipment will crush the capsule.

'The concern is that the big scooper will crush the hull, because it would be almost impossible to get down under it in the mud without applying pressure to the hull itself,' said Garriott.

'Instead, a 6,000-meter working-class ROV has the ability to attach directly to the point on the top of the sub.

'It's a traditional method and people like Magellan have done it over and over again. It's the way it's designed to happen.'

Garriott's concerns about the bureaucratic hurdles echo those aired on Monday by OceanGate advisor David Concannon.

'We need to move. We do not have minutes or hours. We need to move now,' he said.

'This equipment has been on the tarmac for hours.

'When I communicate with the U.S. government, I get 'out of office' replies - not from everyone, but from key people that have a sign-off on this.'

He told NewsNation: 'That's unacceptable.'

Continued
View Quote

That's because they know the tin can got crushed, but don't want to say it publicly.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

ROV’s have gone to Challenger Deep with an umbilical.
View Quote

"The optical fiber tether has the approximate diameter of a human hair, and can bear only 4 kilograms (8.8 lb)."

-Not exactly 1/2" Kevlar.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

52 year old checking in on likely page 54,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
53 year old white guy in on 53

52 year old checking in on likely page 54,

Don't feel bad.. I missed pg 58 too! LOL
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I suspect 2 miles worth of tether being exposed to ocean currents is not possible. It would be exerting serious pressure on the sub, which can't have all that much power.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kevlar rope.

Three miles of 550 cord would have put them in a better position for recovery than they're in now. At least they'd know where it was at.

Exactly. It blows my mind there wasn't a tether on a craft 100% dependent on its host ship.

I suspect 2 miles worth of tether being exposed to ocean currents is not possible. It would be exerting serious pressure on the sub, which can't have all that much power.

Again, deep diving tethered ROV’s are a thing.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They can't..... At least not anyway near the time frame.. Humans are terrifying... Any chance most likely expired the second they choose NOT to have a actual rescue plan in place to begin with.... the rescue ship would have needed to be on-site with all the needed capabilities for them to have a chance in hell.... What you see now is a show for the Lemmings... Nothing more... RIP hope it was quick.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
if they by some miracle find it how do they bring it up?

Rope/cable.

He just said bring it up, he didn’t say it had to be in time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Sonar dudes—- what does this mean?
View Quote

That’s not sonar thing lol. That’s a loopback IP address. Just means they can only hear themselves. Savage.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Nevermind.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:22:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Drop a swimmer to it with a wrench and get it opened up. Could probably drop a raft for people to wait in that would be better than the septic tank with no air holes until a boat showed up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the sub is floating on the surface is weighs in excess of 23k pounds, so the only helicopters that could even maybe lift it would be a ch53 of a ch47.  Getting a strap around the floating sub is feasible, but also risky(if it is dropped the people could easily be killed when it hits the water).  In other words, if they do find it floating they will have to wait for a surface ship to catch up to it.  

Drop a swimmer to it with a wrench and get it opened up. Could probably drop a raft for people to wait in that would be better than the septic tank with no air holes until a boat showed up.

Not sure how much experience you have at sea, but doing something that sounds so easy in 10ft seas becomes almost impossible.  Even if it had grab handles for a diver to hold on to, which is nothing of the sort for a diver to do that while operating a hand tool in a rough ocean.  I'm doubtful any CG commander would allow one of his swimmers to take that risk.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:23:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
CF breaks into shards, like glass. The only identifiable remains would probably be the two bulkheads.
View Quote

I was thinking the same.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Now its about finding the submersible.  Be it in scattered fragments and sections, or resting somehow on the bottom.
If its intact, do any of the families demand it be raised to recover the bodies?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well its been fun following this thread.

Honestly its been educational.

However it seems that its come to an end, unless the finger of God happens to intervene between now and tomorrow morning.

I'll pray that He does and hope that it's His will.

Demand with one hand and shit in the other. US Taxpayer has already spent far too much backstopping these idiots.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So no, you never have sent or received Morse code?
View Quote

I tried for a little bit, after a foot surgery, but it was a bitch.  I quit trying after my Oxycodone prescription expired.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#40]
If they had a failure but lived thru it to think about suffocating, they must have killed the guy who built that thing.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've been ignoring this until today, looked up the sub,Holy crap that thing is Tiny,5 grown adults in a tuna can. Id kill the others to conserve oxygen, or better yet open the hatch and welcome death instead of prolonging the agony
View Quote

Yeah, good luck with that second plan...
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Will the coast guard be the official agency to pull the plug ?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Days since diversity didn’t kill someone: 0
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#44]
The Japanese Kaiko ROV.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

LOLZ

Nobody cares. We're all watching in morbid enjoyment shouting FAAFO.

Tens of thousands of people are getting killed in Ukraine, nobody cares.

I'm sure hundreds drown every year in make shift rafts trying to escape Cuba... Nobody cares.

Thousands of Africans and Arabs are drowning trying to get to Europe.

They're going to spend $10s of millions looking for these dumbshit billionaires, why not use those assets to save Cubans trying to escape communism?

View Quote

This is much more interesting to be frank.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#46]
This whole thing is so fucking retarded. CEO went woke, bypassed industry experts and built a death trap that has become his own casket.

If this thing lost power it should have been designed to automatically drop ballast. The fact they didn't do something so fundamental in the design is just fucking stupid. If the hull collapsed they completely fucked up. It should have a minimum 4 to 1 safety factor, there should be no way for a failure at 12,000 feet. ALVIN was built in the 1980's and continues to operate today and is capable of much deeper depths.

Bad engineering has consequences. Stupid hurts, shoddy Engineering kills.

But I guess if your gonna kick the bucket as a billionare, "Lost in a deep sea expedition" looks pretty badass on your grave stone.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Think about when Elon starts the Mars expeditions. Something like this happening is within the realm of possibilities.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Think about when Elon starts the Mars expeditions. Something like this happening is within the realm of possibilities.
View Quote

He has said we should expect it. He said the first trips to Mars will likely be one way.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why the hell would the thing not have been tethered to the mothership?

Something goes bad, just winch it back on up.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Some information from reddit r/submarines

https://www.sonardyne.com/case-studies/surveying-the-titanic-with-ranger-2-and-avtrak-6/

They had a Sonardyne AvTrack 6 transponder as of last year, which is capable of being activated from the surface to locate the sub if it lost all power and normal communications. It has a 6 day battery life.

Considering that it's not communicating, either they had multiple system failures or the hull imploded which would have destroyed that transponder and everything on board.

It's worth continuing the search but it's a very small chance they'll even find debris if it imploded(possibly some syntactic foam breaks loose and floats to the surface).

*Edit to Update: Sonardyne says this transponder was not currently installed on the sub. It would have been nearly impossible to get to the Titanic without navigation equipment and they had communications for the first hour and 45 minutes of the dive so they likely had an equivalent transponder from another vendor. However, there is no way of knowing what this company was willing to 'leave behind' in order to make the dive though.
View Quote

Just wanna throw it out there that it seems noncomplete dives were common. One reporter a while ago said that he only went down 37 feet before they called it off and surfaced due to mechanical errors. Another occurrence, while he was on board the mother ship, happened where directions relayed were inaccurate and the group got lost for 2.5 hrs and never saw the titanic wreck at all. I don’t think they got a refund, but a voucher for a free trip the following year.

ETA: link to 37 ft down claim https://twitter.com/gabwithgwen/status/1671120791734308864?s=46

ETA 2: link to OceanGate vid where he talks about them getting lost and a “free do-over next year” https://twitter.com/pogue/status/1670834475901632527?s=46
View Quote

adventurist and friend of passenger pulled out of Titan trip, declines to give reasons, discusses drive to cross new frontiers through adventure

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jhaP-EwM1CE&pp=ygUgd291bGQgYmUgY3JldyBtZW1iZXIgbWlzc2luZyBzdWI%3D

and former Titan passenger gives his account of the trip he took

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8e22wdnBDLg
View Quote

from what I've seen that was one way to release the ballasts but not the primary way.

"But I also worried about getting back to the surface. Exactly what kind of ballast did this thing have? According to Kyle Bingham, a LOT.
First, there are three enormous, heavy, black, beat-up lead construction pipes on each side of the sub.
KYLE: These triple weights, we call ‘em, are hydraulically driven. So we operate ‘em inside, doesn’t take any electricity, can be done manually, and those drop away and gain us a lot of buoyancy.
Dropping that much weight onto the sea floor means the sub starts rising.
But what if the hydraulic system breaks? Well, then they have roll weights.
KYLE: Ah, so, we’ve got these weights here on the side, these are roll weights, we can actually roll the sub and those come off, and that gains us some buoyancy to come back to the surface.
These are pipes that sit on a shelf that juts out from either side of the sub, held in place only by gravity. If everyone inside the sub shifts their weight to one side, the sub tips enough to let these pipes roll off.
If that doesn’t work, there are ballast bags, full of metal shot, hanging below the sub.
KYLE: These bags down below, we drop those off using motors and electric fingers.
OK. But what if the electronics go out, and the hydraulics fail, and everyone inside has passed out unconscious?
KYLE: There’s fusible links within these that actually can dissolve and come back in time if it’s drop off.
Fusible links are self-dissolving bonds. After 16 hours in seawater, those bonds disintegrate, the weight bags drop off automatically, and you go back to the surface.
And even those four systems aren’t the end of it. The sub’s thrusters can also push it up; the pilot can jettison the sub’s legs as dead weight; and there’s even an airbag they can inflate to provide buoyancy.
All told, that’s seven different ways to get the sub back up to the surface."

source https://unsungscience.com/news/back-to-titanic-part-1/
View Quote

Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/14df37k/comment/joqfaso/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Vangro

They never even setup the software properly to use the hull health monitoring system. It's a bunch of transducers glued into the hull. I worked at oceangate for six months before I left figuring they were going to get someone killed.

chiraltoad
Wow, I need to hear more about this. What did you do for them? What's your opinion of the sub?

Lots of people here are dissing the carbon fiber hull, what's your opinion of it? Was it scanned with ultrasound/xray etc?

Edit: also, people saying if it did manage to surface but was not found, they can't open the door. Is there any kind of emergency beacon / transponder on board for that circumstance?

Vangro
I probably shouldn't get too into it, I do remember signing a NDA. I do recall there being an emergency transponder. The hull in theory works great, they had a huge safety factor in mind when they made it. Though I think they should of done more ultrasound and xrays of it after every dive.
View Quote

Here is a very interesting video (in Spanish but understandable with auto-translated subtitles) from someone who made this trip with OceanGate in 2022.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAncVNaw5N0&t=385s (starting at the point where they notice communication is lost)

On the trip in this video, communication was lost for over an hour at 1000 meters depth and they continued descending for an hour without communication to about 2000 meters before declaring an emergency and beginning to drop ballast. However then communication mysteriously was re-established and they continued descending. It still took them over 1.5 hours to locate the Titanic after reaching the sea floor. In this video they also experience problems with their external lighting and have very poor visibility distance while trying to see the wreckage. In some of the footage (to my untrained eyes) it looks like they get dangerously close to the wreckage (within 2-3 meters possibly?). That seems like a recipe for disaster in more ways than one considering they would be blind if their external light failed and potentially within only feet of entanglement with the wreckage and had just experienced faulty communication for unknown reasons.

The video narrator also explains that they only had less than an hour or so at the site of the Titanic because they have to begin their return to the surface when certain batteries reach 40% remaining for safety reasons. To me this means that loss of power could turn into a time-based survivability issue as much as lack of oxygen. Again I have no experience with these things or know their battery reserve levels but hypothetically if they only have battery power for 12-24 hours, the temperature inside the sub would drop to dangerously cold levels possibly before their oxygen supplies run out. In all the videos I have seen the crew are obviously dressed in lightweight clothing presumably without heavy blankets available or possibly even without emergency thermal blankets so there would be little that could be done to delay hypothermia under those circumstances.

The other possibility is if their protocol upon losing communication is to continue descending for up to 1 hour, it is possible they lost communication on this trip at almost 2 hours in, and did continue descending all the way to the ocean floor or to the Titanic. However without communication it is also possible they descended directly onto the Titanic wreckage without realizing it and had a catastrophic situation due to contact with the wreckage or entanglement with it. This is probably fairly unlikely because it seems like they never descend directly on it and spend a lot of time looking for it after getting to that depth, however it's also possible they attempted to change their navigation for this year to descend directly on it to make it easier for them to find. It could also be one of those situations of multiple issues aligning to cause a catastrophe if communications failed and it also happened to be the one time out of all their missions that descending to the ocean floor would put them right onto the Titanic wreckage.

At the beginning of this video the creator also explained that OceanGate wouldn't give him some of the video footage that he believed they had agreed to give to him (my speculation - possibly because they didn't want to provide footage showing the mission was not run very cautiously from a safety standpoint after the loss of communication on the descent and extremely close encounters with the Titanic considering their flickering external lighting). At the end of the video he also mentions that he saw some lack of professionalism and attention to customer service in the company and that on another one of their missions the passengers were stuck in the submersible for 27 hours?! I attempted to find more info on this 27 hour situation but came up short on Google.

Just some thoughts I had after watching this video which gives a great perspective of what being on the sub would be like and a glimpse into what I perceive to be a somewhat of a "cowboy" attitude when dealing with the communication loss and navigating around the wreckage.
View Quote

YIKES!!!!! ??????

In another 2022 dive to the Titanic, one of the thrusters on the Titan was accidentally installed backwards and the submersible started spinning in circles when trying to move forward near the sea floor. As documented by the BBC documentary Take Me to Titanic, the issue was bypassed by steering while holding the game controller sideways.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001d7b6
View Quote

Page / 136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top