Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:13:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah I’ve got one of those too. I don’t really like it if I’m being honest, but part of that is my astigmatism. I don’t know that they’re terribly fond of making it. I’ve seen their literature refer to it as being “special order” before. I see them fairly often, so I dunno how often they make those special orders.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Accepted by most as the best dot size.

Nah, it's a tactical timmy size for people that like to buy stuff for their guns but don't actually shoot.

6-8 moa is for people that actually shoot

Strong preference for the 6ish. Everyone wants the tiny ass one like they’re shooting gnats @ 100 with their carry gun or something. It’s literally 6 inches @ 100 yards, it’s fine for what it is lol

Lot of us like to run MRDS as offsets or top mounts on long guns, where a 6MOA+ pistol gamer dot is a bit of a hindrance, and for sure messier under NV.

I think that’s actually why they make both MOAs. This is nothing but my assumption, but I always assumed they intended the 6.5 for pistols and 3.25 for rifles.

My smaller dots are mostly on rifles.

They also make a 1 MOA dot version, the RM09.

Yeah I’ve got one of those too. I don’t really like it if I’m being honest, but part of that is my astigmatism. I don’t know that they’re terribly fond of making it. I’ve seen their literature refer to it as being “special order” before. I see them fairly often, so I dunno how often they make those special orders.

I've been tempted to try one, but a 2 MOA dot already seems small enough on a rifle.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

He’s largely correct. On a practical gun a 5-8 MOA dot is perfect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy fuck, that’s pretty retarded.

My carry gun has an RM07, but I’ve got two other pistols (G17 and an M18) with RM06s.  IME, neither is appreciably different to shoot with compared to the 6.5 MOA dot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Every "RMR is good enough" guy is gonna upgrade anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Every "RMR is good enough" guy is gonna upgrade anyway.

Gear queers unite!

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is probably gonna get me off my ass to send the Glock 20 gen 4 in to get milled. Also would be great to piggyback on my TA33.

Probably won’t sell the RMR on my 19, but for the guns that are primarily for open carry/outdoor use it’s nice to have a real closed emitter option in an RMR footprint.

I think this will finally settle the fact that the RMR (on full size handguns) and RMSc (on subcompacts) are the standard footprints for handgun slides.

Really pumped about this!
View Quote

That poor little TA33 is going to be buff as hell from lugging around that monstrosity all day.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My carry gun has an RM07, but I’ve got two other pistols (G17 and an M18) with RM06s.  IME, neither is appreciably different to shoot with compared to the 6.5 MOA dot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy fuck, that’s pretty retarded.

I have trouble telling the two apart. I can, but I don’t really notice it when shooting. Side by side I can tell which is which. I buy and use them interchangeably.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Still playing 2nd fiddle to Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think this will finally settle the fact that the RMR (on full size handguns) and RMSc (on subcompacts) are the standard footprints for handgun slides.

Really pumped about this!
View Quote

The DPP footprint is going to hang around, it's a better footprint and it's what's on our service pistols now too.  Why better?  The screw placement doesn't require either a 1913-ish interface, or this new capstan screw system to top screw mount and still leave room for an enclosed emitter, nor does it require moving the window very close to the ejection port like an SRO to make room for a top mount battery.  SCS 320 is an example, and probably more to come.  

And some of ya'll might not know that the screw pattern of the Delta Point Pro footprint is the same as the RMSc (DPP just a longer cut and wider spaced recoil lugs) so the EPS series will work on a DPP cut with no plate required (other than a filler if you're so inclined).

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Easily accomplished during one of your semi annual range trips.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any optic that I have to remove JUST to change the battery is a no-go.

Easily accomplished during one of your semi annual range trips.

Ouch…
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#9]
One butt fucking ugly mailbox
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
One butt fucking ugly mailbox
View Quote

To be fair, zero of the tactical toasters look good.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Holosun: "Our EPS is just a 507K with a closed emitter."
Trijicon: "Hey kid, wanna put a mailbox on top of your pistol?"
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It should have a little flag that goes up when it's time to change the battery.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 11:04:19 PM EDT
[#13]
About fuckin’ time!

I’m tired of hearing about the countless number of arfcommers that have been killed because debris got in their open emitters during a gun fight…

Oh wait.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 11:30:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That screw design was to get a patent. No other reason.
View Quote

Yes, let's design an optic around a patented screw design.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
About fuckin’ time!

I’m tired of hearing about the countless number of arfcommers that have been killed because debris got in their open emitters during a gun fight…

Oh wait.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:41:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

200 in stock as of an hour ago:

https://bt-parts.com/aimpoint-acro-p-2-3-5-moa/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The same was said about the ACRO, yet it’s one of the most in demand optics currently.

The link leads to a 404 error page.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The same was said about the ACRO, yet it's one of the most in demand optics currently.

Sold out in hours.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:18:39 AM EDT
[#18]
They sold out in a few hours.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sold out in hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The same was said about the ACRO, yet it's one of the most in demand optics currently.

Sold out in hours.

Kind of demonstrating my point.  

Thanks for the link, I’ve already got two but I’ll probably hold off to try out the RCR.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Damn, no doughnut of death?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Damn, no doughnut of death?

The new HD version of the RMR has it. It is also a top load battery
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
RMR still looks cooler.
View Quote

This.

I’ll stick with the RMR.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#24]
There are a lot of Trijicon fans in the market.  This will sell well.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My C-More is 6moa.  I think there's been several polls in USPSA and 6 was the preferred dot size in Open division.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Accepted by most as the best dot size.
My C-More is 6moa.  I think there's been several polls in USPSA and 6 was the preferred dot size in Open division.

Yeah, but that’s preference for a balance of speed and accuracy for people running around shooting 15+ targets on a timer.

A real defensive situation is probably only gonna involve 1-2 or so targets with likely just a handful of shots on board (or opportunity for shots) where misses may constitute actual criminal/civil liability (not just a time or points penalty).  In the real world for carry, I’ll take the precision of a 2–3 MOA dot.  

Link Posted: 7/26/2023 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Price wise, I'm guessing MSRP will be $800-1000 area, and they'll probably go for full price at first if the hype train follows.

As for the size, it's not that bad...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157876/RCRBBC-2897388-2897992.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing. That thing is huge. But on the flip side, if it's reasonably priced I'll pick one up.

Price wise, I'm guessing MSRP will be $800-1000 area, and they'll probably go for full price at first if the hype train follows.

If that's the price point, I'm out on this one.

There are too many other good options showing up.

In addition to the Aimpoint and Holosun stuff, Sig just launched a US-made enclosed MRDS on the DPP footprint, and it has a MSRP of $450.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2023/07/18/sig-romeo-x-rds/

We'll see how it tests.

I'd be willing to pay more for the RCR than the Romeo-X Pro or the EPS Carry, but not 2x+ the price.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah, but that’s preference for a balance of speed and accuracy for people running around shooting 15+ targets on a timer.

A real defensive situation is probably only gonna involve 1-2 or so targets with likely just a handful of shots on board (or opportunity for shots) where misses may constitute actual criminal/civil liability (not just a time or points penalty).  In the real world for carry, I’ll take the precision of a 2–3 MOA dot.  
View Quote

@Millennial
Why do you think there is a measurable difference in observed precision between a 2-3 MOA dot and a 6-8 MOA dot within 50 yards?  

At 50 yards the difference between a 3 MOA and 8 MOA dot is subtending 2.5”. At 25 yards the difference is 1.25”.

Please explain.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think a lot of people might be surprised by the price, but if you go to Trijicon's websight now, an RMR RM06 Type 2 has an MSRP of $731.00.  With the RCR being newer, more complex and having more parts, it will certainly be higher priced than the RM06.  

Of course, you can find street prices for the RM06 below $500 now on sale pretty easy, but most things like this with a lot of anticipation tend to hold closer to their MSRP price when first released, so we'll see.

Also, the Sig Romeo x pro is NOT an enclosed emitter, it just has a really long hood to emulate the look of the enclosed emitter optic they make for the M17.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

In addition to the Aimpoint and Holosun stuff, Sig just launched a US-made enclosed MRDS on the DPP footprint, and it has a MSRP of $450.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/eyJ3IjoyMDQ4LCJoIjoyMDQ4LCJzY29wZSI6ImFwcCJ9-e1689097704434.jpg

We'll see how it tests.

I'd be willing to pay more for the RCR than the Romeo-X Pro or the EPS Carry, but not 2x+ the price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing. That thing is huge. But on the flip side, if it's reasonably priced I'll pick one up.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/eyJ3IjoyMDQ4LCJoIjoyMDQ4LCJzY29wZSI6ImFwcCJ9-e1689097704434.jpg

We'll see how it tests.

The Romeo X isn’t enclosed, just has a large “hood.”
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
]I think a lot of people might be surprised by the price, but if you go to Trijicon's websight now, an RMR RM06 Type 2 has an MSRP of $731.00.  With the RCR being newer, more complex and having more parts, it will certainly be higher priced than the RM06.  

Of course, you can find street prices for the RM06 below $500 now on sale pretty easy, but most things like this with a lot of anticipation tend to hold closer to their MSRP price when first released, so we'll see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
]I think a lot of people might be surprised by the price, but if you go to Trijicon's websight now, an RMR RM06 Type 2 has an MSRP of $731.00.  With the RCR being newer, more complex and having more parts, it will certainly be higher priced than the RM06.  

Good point.

I guess we'll see what the real world prices are.

Quoted:

Also, the Sig Romeo x pro is NOT an enclosed emitter, it just has a really long hood to emulate the look of the enclosed emitter optic they make for the M17.

You're right.

That's disgusting.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes, let's design an optic around a patented screw design.
View Quote

That's what's going to happen if everyone keeps trying to prop the RMR footprint up as the "standard" optic cut.

The RMR footprint isn't conducive to enclosed emitter designs due to how far forward the screws are.  That's the reason Holosun went with their K footprint for the EPS's.  Screws sit further back allowing for the enclosed part to sit in front of them.  The literature we've seen shows that the Trijicon screw design is patented.  It's probably about the only way to get an enclosed emitter on that footprint without extending the optic forward like the SRO or RMR HD and enclosing it.

Trijicon had to do something crazy with the screws if they wanted to stick with the RMR footprint.  I don't think they should have limited their design to an old footprint that wasn't even meant to be mounted to a pistol.  But they did, and came up with a patented solution.

Clinging to that footprint is going to hold back enclosed emitter optics development and cause everyone to keep coming up with new footprints until one finally wins out.  As much as everyone with a milled slide wants it to be the RMR footprint, it's a dinosaur.  It will continue to limit enclosed options as a "standard" slide cut unless other manufacturers use the patented system Trijicon came up with to shoehorn a new optic onto an old footprint.

The wailing and gnashing of teeth would have been epic, but they should have used this optic to create their "next gen" footprint to really set a new standard going forward.  Something that can support future development knowing what they know now vs 15+ years ago.  That or swallow their pride and go with the ACRO mounting system or another leading footprint that better supports enclosed optics and an easily accessable battery.

At some point slides milled for old optics will not be able to use new optics as they continue to develop.  Especially if that footprint doesn't easily support features that many individuals and agencies want.  Clinging to an outdated footprint, even if it was the leader for a long time in the past, is not the way forward.

Link Posted: 7/26/2023 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Some of y’all would complain about free tight and wet pussy.

Looks like a winner to me.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Eps kind of looks streamlined though. I don’t like the looks of the acro but if it’s functional, its fine by me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eps kind of looks streamlined though. I don’t like the looks of the acro but if it’s functional, its fine by me.

Hope the trijicon doesn’t have distortion issues like the eps.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I like it and will be buying several once Sage Dynamics does the hard work proving the durability.
But, I'm an engineer that likes ugly stuff if it works.

Closed emitter vs open: sure, open emitter is proven to work fine and not present actual real-world problems. But I don't think anybody would say that if Trijicon had released a closed emitter RMR first, anybody would be receptive to an open emitter competitor. All else being equal.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#36]
What if you end up getting pocket lint all over the lenses of your closed emitter? I'm holding out for a milspec windshield wiper system.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What if you end up getting pocket lint all over the lenses of your closed emitter? I'm holding out for a milspec windshield wiper system.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

We'll see how it tests.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We'll see how it tests.

It's actually an open emitter which has rustled jimmies for the price point:
https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/sig-sauer-romeo-x.441464/

Go down to features
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's what's going to happen if everyone keeps trying to prop the RMR footprint up as the "standard" optic cut.

The RMR footprint isn't conducive to enclosed emitter designs due to how far forward the screws are.  That's the reason Holosun went with their K footprint for the EPS's.  Screws sit further back allowing for the enclosed part to sit in front of them.  The literature we've seen shows that the Trijicon screw design is patented.  It's probably about the only way to get an enclosed emitter on that footprint without extending the optic forward like the SRO or RMR HD and enclosing it.

Trijicon had to do something crazy with the screws if they wanted to stick with the RMR footprint.  I don't think they should have limited their design to an old footprint that wasn't even meant to be mounted to a pistol.  But they did, and came up with a patented solution.

Clinging to that footprint is going to hold back enclosed emitter optics development and cause everyone to keep coming up with new footprints until one finally wins out.  As much as everyone with a milled slide wants it to be the RMR footprint, it's a dinosaur.  It will continue to limit enclosed options as a "standard" slide cut unless other manufacturers use the patented system Trijicon came up with to shoehorn a new optic onto an old footprint.

The wailing and gnashing of teeth would have been epic, but they should have used this optic to create their "next gen" footprint to really set a new standard going forward.  Something that can support future development knowing what they know now vs 15+ years ago.  That or swallow their pride and go with the ACRO mounting system or another leading footprint that better supports enclosed optics and an easily accessable battery.

At some point slides milled for old optics will not be able to use new optics as they continue to develop.  Especially if that footprint doesn't easily support features that many individuals and agencies want.  Clinging to an outdated footprint, even if it was the leader for a long time in the past, is not the way forward.

View Quote

The RMR footprint is ubiquitous and the RCR allows people to "upgrade" their RMR to an RCR without buying a new plate or having to get a new slide to direct mill.

I would be open to all closed emitter optics using the ACRO footprint, and all open emitter optics using the RMR footprint, but they are likely already gunshy about attemtping to set a new footprint standard after seeing how the RMRCC worked out. Having 7+ different footprints is going to make it more difficult to sell as many optics.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get the rail mounted battery operated lens blower. Blows lint off the lens. Doubles as a ball cooler in appendix carry.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Might give one of these a try once the initial round of 1st generation buyers/beta testers have the bugs worked out.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#42]
In.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#43]
My course of action starting 8/1/2023.

1. Start looking for 2 RMR RM09 type 2s people are selling for the two new RMRs

2. 12 months later buy one of each new product at more stable street prices.

3. Flex on ARFCOM
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The RMR footprint is ubiquitous and the RCR allows people to "upgrade" their RMR to an RCR without buying a new plate or having to get a new slide to direct mill.

I would be open to all closed emitter optics using the ACRO footprint, and all open emitter optics using the RMR footprint, but they are likely already gunshy about attemtping to set a new footprint standard after seeing how the RMRCC worked out. Having 7+ different footprints is going to make it more difficult to sell as many optics.
View Quote

I get that, and it's great for their past customers.

They still limited their engineers by choosing to stick with a footprint that wasn't even designed to ride on a pistol slide.  The pistol dot market is still evolving pretty rapidly.  I think the oddball mounting system they had to come up with to catch up to what other manufacturers did years ago pretty much shows we're at the evolutionary end of that footprint.  They jumped backwards through hoops to make an enclosed emitter work with that footprint instead of moving forward.

If the RMR footprint was a good option for enclosed emitter optics we'd have seen other manufacturers using it, but they don't.  I wonder what Trijicon could have come up with if they'd started with a more appropriate footprint instead of limiting themselves to something less than ideal and figuring out how to make it work?

The number of other manufacturers that are going to limit their engineers to that footprint and use Trijicon's new patented screw system is yet to be seen.  I would imagine most of the competition is still more interested in building the most durable optic with the biggest windows and smallest form factor vs standardizing on Trijicon's footprint though.

I could see the ACRO footprint for enclosed duty type optics and RMR for open.  The roll out of this optic using the ACRO footprint would have basically sealed the deal on a duty optic standard.

But....it didn't.

Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That thing looks huge.

Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I get that, and it's great for their past customers.

They still limited their engineers by choosing to stick with a footprint that wasn't even designed to ride on a pistol slide.  The pistol dot market is still evolving pretty rapidly.  I think the oddball mounting system they had to come up with to catch up to what other manufacturers did years ago pretty much shows we're at the evolutionary end of that footprint.  They jumped backwards through hoops to make an enclosed emitter work with that footprint instead of moving forward.

If the RMR footprint was a good option for enclosed emitter optics we'd have seen other manufacturers using it, but they don't.  I wonder what Trijicon could have come up with if they'd started with a more appropriate footprint instead of limiting themselves to something less than ideal and figuring out how to make it work?

The number of other manufacturers that are going to limit their engineers to that footprint and use Trijicon's new patented screw system is yet to be seen.  I would imagine most of the competition is still more interested in building the most durable optic with the biggest windows and smallest form factor vs standardizing on Trijicon's footprint though.

I could see the ACRO footprint for enclosed duty type optics and RMR for open.  The roll out of this optic using the ACRO footprint would have basically sealed the deal on a duty optic standard.

But....it didn't.
View Quote

The RMR footprint is a good option for pistol optics period, because it is arguably already the most common. Their making it work with an enclosed optic is brilliant from a future sales perspective. Nothing backwards about it.

It isn't like they're trying to get the market to standardize on their footprint with the RCR, because it largely already has over the past decade with the RMR. Nothing is keeping them from coming out with a variant that uses the ACRO footprint either.

One thing we don't need is yet another pistol optic footprint.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just the wiper or does it have the washer jets too?
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That thing looks huge.

View Quote
It's an edit and attempt at a joke, read a bit more carefully.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Nice mailbox they made there
View Quote

You've never seen a closed emitter optic before?
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice mailbox they made there

GD overreacts to everything without knowing anything.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top