Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My dog could run Yellow better than the current management.

Roadway.....New Penn.....Jevic.....Preston.....New Holland....sure I'm forgetting at least one.
View Quote

Not "New" Holland, they make tractors and stuff. Just "Holland" or "Holland Freight".
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Not all unions are made up highly skilled and sought after individuals. I have about 1k union members and about 100 managers. The quality between them is not extreme. The vast majority of them are good at what they do and motivated. There are two reasons for that. I have been with them for 8 years with standards and expectations long set and accepted. Second and perhaps more importantly the positions are filled for the most part with Wyomingites. A more salt of the earth people you will not find in this country. Now...outside of Wyoming? It's a fucking nightmare. DO you think Amazon will 'improve' with a unionized workforce? Do you want our military to unionize?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unions, fucking their workers and enriching the kingpins since their inception.

CEOs are the good guys?

Don't waste your time. People here love to be fucked by their employer and hate anyone who thinks otherwise.

Have you managed unionized employees?

For 10 years now.  

I don’t seem to have the problems GD has.

Either a small tight shop or...doubt.

Do you like electricity?  Because that's what I do.  

And yes, I have my crews that run with me, because I treat them like people.  They in return, work their asses off for me.  Crazy isn't it.

So small and tight. Try 50 to 100 so there's some anonymity.

I just did a crew of about 80.  Granted it was around the clock, so while I was responsible for nights, there was a lower manager in between.  

All the talented nonunion people I know went union. Can’t blame them, may as well get paid more for your talent with better benefits.  The wages and benefits I see for nonunion doing the same work is a joke.

You are in Canada, this isn't an apples to apples conversation. And I'm not backing off. Take a group over 100 of (here's the key I am sure) low/no skilled unionized employees and keep them productive...indefinitely. It can be done of course but to suggest it's unicorns and skittles is the height of dishonesty.

My last job was in Utah.  

Why would I surround myself with low skilled labor?  My journeymen take pride in training apprentices safely and effectively. They are their future.  Plus they don’t want to carry dead weight or be near unsafe people.  

Again, what industry are you working?   If you’re working in unionized Starbucks or some other retail store, well, I don’t know what to tell ya.

Not all unions are made up highly skilled and sought after individuals. I have about 1k union members and about 100 managers. The quality between them is not extreme. The vast majority of them are good at what they do and motivated. There are two reasons for that. I have been with them for 8 years with standards and expectations long set and accepted. Second and perhaps more importantly the positions are filled for the most part with Wyomingites. A more salt of the earth people you will not find in this country. Now...outside of Wyoming? It's a fucking nightmare. DO you think Amazon will 'improve' with a unionized workforce? Do you want our military to unionize?

The guys from Utah, Idaho, Montana and the Dakota’s are pretty darn good too.  

Amazons pay, benefits and work environment doesn’t have the best reputation.  I have no idea what it really is.  But they reap what they sow.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 8:46:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So, Devil's Advocate - How differently would YRC treat its employees (or any unionized company really) if it weren't for the union?  Honest question, as I've never worked under a union before and have no direct experience with a union.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GD  cannot understand that unions only still exist because management types still can't pop their heads out of their asses long enough to treat employees fairly.
So, Devil's Advocate - How differently would YRC treat its employees (or any unionized company really) if it weren't for the union?  Honest question, as I've never worked under a union before and have no direct experience with a union.

Start with how unions came into being in the first place, and realize that sometimes businesses gives power to stupid people in management
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Amazons pay, benefits and work environment doesn’t have the best reputation.  I have no idea what it really is.  But they reap what they sow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unions, fucking their workers and enriching the kingpins since their inception.

CEOs are the good guys?

Don't waste your time. People here love to be fucked by their employer and hate anyone who thinks otherwise.

Have you managed unionized employees?

For 10 years now.  

I don’t seem to have the problems GD has.

Either a small tight shop or...doubt.

Do you like electricity?  Because that's what I do.  

And yes, I have my crews that run with me, because I treat them like people.  They in return, work their asses off for me.  Crazy isn't it.

So small and tight. Try 50 to 100 so there's some anonymity.

I just did a crew of about 80.  Granted it was around the clock, so while I was responsible for nights, there was a lower manager in between.  

All the talented nonunion people I know went union. Can’t blame them, may as well get paid more for your talent with better benefits.  The wages and benefits I see for nonunion doing the same work is a joke.

You are in Canada, this isn't an apples to apples conversation. And I'm not backing off. Take a group over 100 of (here's the key I am sure) low/no skilled unionized employees and keep them productive...indefinitely. It can be done of course but to suggest it's unicorns and skittles is the height of dishonesty.

My last job was in Utah.  

Why would I surround myself with low skilled labor?  My journeymen take pride in training apprentices safely and effectively. They are their future.  Plus they don’t want to carry dead weight or be near unsafe people.  

Again, what industry are you working?   If you’re working in unionized Starbucks or some other retail store, well, I don’t know what to tell ya.

Fuck Amazon union or not. I can confirm you are correct on ID BTW. If you had included WA I could confirm you were wrong! :) We have spoken in generalities for the most part with insults as required by GD SOP...but I will cut to the chase and tell my main issue. It isn't even the democratic support which really pisses me off. It is the: scrub the last 5 removals/attempted removal of personally identifiable information. Or the last 10 discipline cases issued. Now show the unions response. I know how the sausage is made. It wouldn't go over well if folks understood some of what the union protects. Now let's see the last ten grievances filed. Sometimes they're legit. Sometimes they are not.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
With the massive amount of shit that ships now how are they not killing it?
View Quote

Corporate management/board misappropriation of revenue?
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Never, ever, ever a truer fucking statement. This forum has more olderish guys that act like prepubescent teenage girls than any forum I’ve ever seen. Don’t feed the trolls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes but GD hates nothing more than Unions, Harleys and Trump

Never, ever, ever a truer fucking statement. This forum has more olderish guys that act like prepubescent teenage girls than any forum I’ve ever seen. Don’t feed the trolls.

I've lurked here since 2011 and finally joined in '17. This place went to hell when it was sold. Ed would have never put up with the pro Russia shills and non stop trolling and banning of many long time members who were SMEs in a ton of fields
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GD  cannot understand that unions only still exist because management types still can't pop their heads out of their asses long enough to treat employees fairly.

Well, ups now has to buy trucks with ac starting in 2024.

For people who will have to open the door every 37 seconds.  I don’t know how you could be a dad and open the door so often without going mad.  Literally air conditioning the world.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So did most Republican governors. Did you forget that? Did you forget Trump talking shit to Brian Kemp when he opened Georgia back up? Trump handed the keys over to Fauci and let the dems run the show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trump was president when all this shit started

It was the Democrats who forced the shut down during the pandemic, not Trump.

15 days to crush the economy came straight from the White House

And the Democrat governors kept their states locked down for months after that, or did you forget that?

So did most Republican governors. Did you forget that? Did you forget Trump talking shit to Brian Kemp when he opened Georgia back up? Trump handed the keys over to Fauci and let the dems run the show.

Link Posted: 7/29/2023 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Own it, they caused the increase in operating costs and all of the economic consequences. Trump raised the real wages of the working man and Biden destroyed all of the befit that the working man received under Trump.

There is a reason the Big Government elitists are out to destroy Trump. Get your head out of your ass or the sand depending on how you came to your conclusion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol wut?

Own it, they caused the increase in operating costs and all of the economic consequences. Trump raised the real wages of the working man and Biden destroyed all of the befit that the working man received under Trump.

There is a reason the Big Government elitists are out to destroy Trump. Get your head out of your ass or the sand depending on how you came to your conclusion.
Maybe you missed the part where the leader of the free world lead us into lockdowns and hyperinflation.  Biden sucks but  Tump himself destroyed every bit of gains he made and more.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Your account of the working conditions and culture there is consistent with the impressions I got as an outside vendor.

I've worked as a supporting vendor for the LTL industry for close to 30 years now. My interactions have been with people on the white collar side of things but even there dealing with YRC has been frequently frustrating because there seemed to be a company wide paralysis due to pervasive CYA that made it hard to get anything done. It felt like anyone I've dealt with was always terrified of making a mistake.
View Quote

It was more like playing hot.potato with freight that was time sensitive, but in order to get paid, you had to handle it in order to get paid and send it off in whatever condition to the next sucker down the line all broken and beat to shit for them to deal with.....and hope it didn't come back on you. And we moved millions of tons of freight a day through "Stalag 120".
Nobody gave a fuck about the customer.
I explain it in the other thread.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 10:56:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've lurked here since 2011 and finally joined in '17. This place went to hell when it was sold. Ed would have never put up with the pro Russia shills and non stop trolling and banning of many long time members who were SMEs in a ton of fields
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2023 11:05:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Is it just me that sees the connection between union and democrat?

Sorry union bros.  Your wagon is hitched.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mis managed and poorly run.

Not shocking at all that they’re the first casualty.
View Quote

That seems to be a common comment.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I remember guys who followed the union advice and went on strike at Eastern Airlines. They told me they wished they had not listened to the union. They all ended up unemployed and with new jobs.
View Quote

Frank was killing Eastern with or without the strike.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

CEOs are the good guys?
View Quote

Not the CEO’s, the union fucktards.

My wife’s GF worked for GM 32 years. The ‘bailout’ left him with no pension or retirement.

So, yes, govt will bail out the big dogs because they provide big donations. But the workers..? Dems will fuck them every time.

See also Keystone, coal, pretty much every energy producer…

Fuck Democrats. Fuck unions. Fuck unionization.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:38:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:55:15 AM EDT
[#18]
"Too big to fail"...
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 7:34:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Relax!  Secretary Pete's got this!  

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 7:43:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I work in LTL.  I've been on YRC's dock more than a few times bringing freight that had to be delivered by a Union shop. Their equipment is dilapidated junk.  A lot of their freight is fragile, over length, nasty stuff.  None of the drivers would say a word to me.

I'm not surprised they're going under.    

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:01:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The IBEW pension is garbage. If you do the math it's basically a savings account.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oldest LTL carrier in the country. This is gonna cause some significant waves in the freight business.

Yep, that is going to kill a lot of pension payments. Joementia will be along to babble out some bailout.

Stupid fucks managing my 4K $ IBEW employer funded plan still send me paper statements.  20+ years worth of statements, and I’m not vested and will never see that money.  They probably spent 4k just sending statements lol.

The IBEW pension is garbage. If you do the math it's basically a savings account.

You referring to the IO pension? I forget the details on how much $/month per year of service it pays out, but it wasn't much.

Then the is the NEBF + and local level retirement programs (varies from local to local)...
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:02:20 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm working near the Yellow terminal in akron . Seen one guy patrolling by the gate which is blocked by trailers and one guy inside has been moving trailers around .....Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't have anything in motion with yellow right now but lots of people do.  I wonder how and when they are going to get their freight?
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Its a dam shame. YRC always did us well and moved a lot of freight by them.

Except that last bill was pretty messed up.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Its a dam shame. YRC always did us well and moved a lot of freight by them.

Except that last bill was pretty messed up.
View Quote
Billing was a mess for years.

They were reliable for us as well, some damaged freight but they were our primary LTL so I didn't really have anything to compare to.

The XPO guy has been working us hard so he'll probably get a call. We try not to eat the shipping on most jobs, the customer pays and gets to make that call.  I'm usually just shipping specialty coil on a pallet or occasionally some smaller equipment.

One of my customers has a contract with FedEx freight...so we see them a lot.   They don't strike me as a high ball outfit either.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Worst part about this shutdown is a lot of customers have goods on those trailers.  And no way to get to them.  Gonna be so many lawsuits going on it's not funny.

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 11:01:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Billing was a mess for years.

They were reliable for us as well, some damaged freight but they were our primary LTL so I didn't really have anything to compare to.

The XPO guy has been working us hard so he'll probably get a call. We try not to eat the shipping on most jobs, the customer pays and gets to make that call.  I'm usually just shipping specialty coil on a pallet or occasionally some smaller equipment.

One of my customers has a contract with FedEx freight...so we see them a lot.   They don't strike me as a high ball outfit either.
View Quote
We use XPO, not impressed.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
We use XPO, not impressed.
View Quote
hmm...OD then?
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
hmm...OD then?
View Quote
If you need it in one piece, Old Dominion.
If you need it fast, fedex freight.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My dog could run Yellow better than the current management.

Roadway.....New Penn.....Jevic.....Preston.....New Holland....sure I'm forgetting at least one.
View Quote

Does Stevie Wonder’s Institute For Truxkijg do ltl ?
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
hmm...OD then?
View Quote

R&L carriers or Central Transport.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yellow had a lot of bad things going for it:

- Tons of fixed rate contracts that were not profitable
- Loans on buy outs that were not profitable
- Loans on overly expensive equipment.
- Several duplication of assets they couldn’t shed from acquisitions.
- Strong competition from newer LTL carriers.
- Weak maintenance & Safety records.
- Union / teamster costs.  
- History of generally not giving a fuck. Freight damage expenses, equipment, not paying bills, etc.

Biden, trump, anyone in office wouldn’t have prevented this. Doesn’t matter the economic conditions that we are, or are not in. Doesn’t matter the state of the trucking industry.  Doesn’t matter the union negotiations.  They had an absolute ton of co morbidities.  Not a single thing killed them, all the things killed them.
View Quote

Sounds to me like they were doomed no matter what and it would be useless to dump more cash in, might as well set it on fire.

Isn't it the way it was supposed to work back in the day? Poorly run company makes bad decisions, goes under, someone else acquires the parts and pieces and makes the parts that could work, work?

Too many zombies around these days. Nature will cull out the weak.

Something,something, TLDR.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wait until the trucks start driving themselves. Problem solved. New problems start. Circle of life.

And before some fucking gomer says "never", bullshit. Ten years, tops. You'll start seeing it in five. Smaller things are starting now.
View Quote

Twenty will be your five, thirty or more for your ten.

Lots of demos, nothing solid in the real world and a quick run up I-10 with dozens of chase vehicles doesn't count.

Waymo got out of the 'trucking' part for a reason, it wasn't lack of cash or developers.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Are their trucks just sitting at truck stops or the sides of the road right now full of shit where the drivers just called someone to pick them up and left the trucks when they heard Yellow was done?

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:20:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
For those here blaming the union, obviously don't know the history of YFC

View Quote

Serious devils advocate question.  If there is a long history that suggests that management is at fault then why wasn't the union taking action to force that to be corrected years ago?

Why just quietly collect checks and wait until they are past the point of no return.  

I always found it odd that union leadership is happy to blame management after shit hits the fan but they rarely seem to address counterparts risk beforehand.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Same firm which was overcharging the DOD for millions, took 700 million in CoV bailout funds, and is now about to collapse

I'm guessing the sooner this shit show goes away the better
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Are their trucks just sitting at truck stops or the sides of the road right now full of shit where the drivers just called someone to pick them up and left the trucks when they heard Yellow was done?

View Quote

Most likely in terminals. A bankruptcy judge is now in control of Yellow.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#38]
How is the stock of a dead company up 83% today at $1.30

Edit: Up 102% as of 3pm. . Is this being GameStonked?
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#39]
My dad retired from Yellow in the corporate office.  He got paid on his pension from there today, I guess we will see about the next payment.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#40]
We had a YRC account before covid. Their rates weren't very competitive with FedEx or Conway at the time, and their route times weren't very good, so they got dropped.

Since then, Conway got stupid with their pricing and FedEx went to shit on service.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Serious devils advocate question.  If there is a long history that suggests that management is at fault then why wasn't the union taking action to force that to be corrected years ago?

Why just quietly collect checks and wait until they are past the point of no return.  

I always found it odd that union leadership is happy to blame management after shit hits the fan but they rarely seem to address counterparts risk beforehand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those here blaming the union, obviously don't know the history of YFC

Yellow corporate told the union multiple times during past negotiations that they were on the ropes and that the only options were to accept what was being offered or face layoffs due to insolvency.

Unions don't have any bargaining power when those are the only two options.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because, that's not the union's job. Unless they are a voting shareholder, what claim do they have to dictate terms to management? Running the company is management's job. Providing a single collective bargaining entity is the union's job. Anything else is organizations operating outside of their realm.

Now, if you look at aviation, certainly plenty of safety, security, and other operational stuff is done in effective cooperation and coordination with the management. But when it comes to dollars and cents, its likely that management would tell the union to piss up a rope when it came to determining operational efficiencies, as no collective bargaining entity would tip their hand like that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yellow corporate told the union multiple times during past negotiations that they were on the ropes and that the only options were to accept what was being offered or face layoffs due to insolvency.

Unions don't have any bargaining power when those are the only two options.
View Quote

I have a hard time believing if the Union was willing to work for free for a month, that Yellow would have been meaningfully solvent at the end of that month.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The vast majority of them are probably at terminals since those dudes had advance warning of their impeding doom. They're also short haul so it ain't like most of them were OTR like a bunch of Celadon drivers were when that company went tits up.

Whatever units that were ditched or abandoned are probably being rounded up by a handful of hourly dudes from those terminals.
View Quote

As obviously a non "trucking expert" I was like "So that's why I haven't seen a Celadon truck in awhile."
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yup. Celadon folded in December 2019. Their drivers received messages over the Qualcomm that the company was closing and asked them to return the equipment to terminals or designated dealerships or Love's Travel Centers and that they would be compensated for not abandoning trucks or loads.

They didn't mention that their fuel cards had been shut off, so there were drivers caught out far away from home not able to afford fuel to get the truck someplace approved to leave it. Lots of truckers and companies were literally recruiting and hiring ex-Celadon drivers right off the side of the road or at the truck stops.
View Quote

To me, there is little more to prove incompetent management than a shutdown like that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

To me, there is little more to prove incompetent management than a shutdown like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup. Celadon folded in December 2019. Their drivers received messages over the Qualcomm that the company was closing and asked them to return the equipment to terminals or designated dealerships or Love's Travel Centers and that they would be compensated for not abandoning trucks or loads.

They didn't mention that their fuel cards had been shut off, so there were drivers caught out far away from home not able to afford fuel to get the truck someplace approved to leave it. Lots of truckers and companies were literally recruiting and hiring ex-Celadon drivers right off the side of the road or at the truck stops.

At that point, the bank is running the show, not management. The bank has no fucks to give.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top