BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For years I’ve seen posts on the internet saying that it “neutralizes” the salts, but I think that’s Fudd lore.
View Quote

It’s Fudd lore. Hot water and ballistol is the best
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:57:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
OP, you got the “limited edition” ammo.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/371851/IMG_3831_jpeg-2870590.JPG
View Quote

What app is that?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:00:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It’s Fudd lore. Hot water and ballistol is the best
View Quote

It's not Fudd lore, the water in the windex is what neutralizes the salts. This will be good enough for the range, once you get home, clean it accordingly.

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:04:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What app is that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What app is that?

Google translate
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:07:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That sucks, but there is a reason why you are supposed to keep your weapons clean. I locked up an SKS with corrosive ammo.
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/842/905/5a3.gif
View Quote

While I get your point about keeping weapons clean if you didn't know it was corrosive even if you had cleaned it it would probably still rust when you didn't take the special steps to clean the corrosive crap out.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:12:45 AM EDT
[#6]
https://www.boretech.com/products/eliminator-bore-cleaner

Boretech will neutralize corrosive primer salts.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I dont know the answer.  Just saying why people use windex.  For corrosives it puzzles me.  Maybe think good for one, good for the other?

ETA: never used windex even once on a gun
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. 2019 production military ammo from a Nato country. Listed as non-corrosive. I don't think I was being imprudent. I assume all you naysayers clean with windex after you shoot some Prvi?
Use water... Windex isn't required.

Windex is water, I don't know why people even use it.
Probably because the ammonia works as a copper solvent.

It doesn't do anything for the salts does it?

I dont know the answer.  Just saying why people use windex.  For corrosives it puzzles me.  Maybe think good for one, good for the other?

A lot of folks carry a jug of Windex in their vehicles.
So that gets used instead of the sticky contents of the quicky mart jug.
I usually hit mine rite at the range then clean when I get home with regular solvents.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:18:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yea, I just do it cause some old fart told me to to that when I was like 19 and bought a mosin and haven't had a problem since
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, I just do it cause some old fart told me to to that when I was like 19 and bought a mosin and haven't had a problem since

I remember the Windex thing when I first got into guns like 20 years ago and milsurp was still relatively cheap. At this point I think it works because it's mostly water which dissolves and washes out the corrosive compounds.  I shoot a lot of blackpowder now which is corrosive cranked to 11, and plain water cleans it right up.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Google translate
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What app is that?

Google translate

Cool thanks
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:27:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:47:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Oops
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#12]
It identifies as non corrosive.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:01:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You REALLY believed it wasn't corrosive...

comeoneman.biden
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:09:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd expect a new gun from PSA, or they're going to have to pay for a new barrel and the cost of replacement.

As far as corrosive ammo, you don't even need warm water. You don't need to "neutralize" the salt, just wash it out with whatever temperature water you have, and clean as you normally would.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:12:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
At least OP isn't the guy that flew to Poland and found that his ammo goldmine was all Chinese corrosive stuff. Trying to remember what his username was.
View Quote

DamCV or something?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 4:23:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd expect a new gun from PSA, or they're going to have to pay for a new barrel and the cost of replacement.

As far as corrosive ammo, you don't even need warm water. You don't need to "neutralize" the salt, just wash it out with whatever temperature water you have, and clean as you normally would.
View Quote

Hot water is best just because it dries rapidly. Some countries made cleaning funnels for repeaters that would also be useful for some self-loading and automatic rifles.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#17]
When I fire good ammo I don't clean it everytime.
When you fire crap with a colored bird on the box or funny writing you might want to clean it.

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 5:41:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I always used boiling water for muzzle loaders, and shooting old corrosive ammo through milsurps, never and issue. I had a teapot i attached a plastic hose to, the boiling water dries quickly. Then clean normally.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 5:55:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Exactly. 2019 production military ammo from a Nato country. Listed as non-corrosive. I don't think I was being imprudent. I assume all you naysayers clean with windex after you shoot some Prvi?
View Quote

I don't use slavic ammo in American guns.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 6:03:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

While true, the hotter the water, the quicker it will evaporate.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 6:36:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Hot water is best just because it dries rapidly. Some countries made cleaning funnels for repeaters that would also be useful for some self-loading and automatic rifles.
View Quote

Not a big plus. Once water goes in your barrel, you should run at least a few patches through, especially it it's a milsurp that doesn't have a chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:07:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Always assume imported ammunition is corrosive.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:12:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:24:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Get Ballistol and give it a try.  It's good shit meant for cleaning black powder.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Windex is fine to use if you flush it with water and then clean normally.

But then, you can also just use the water and then clean normally.
View Quote
The whole ammonia neutralizes the corrosive salts is bunk.  Ammonia does nothing.

Water puts the chlorates in suspension and it allows them to be flushed out.

Two wet patches... scrubbing the bore followed by a dry patch then a WD-40 patch.

THEN clean normally...no issues ever.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:41:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use water... Windex isn't required.

Windex is water, I don't know why people even use it.
Probably because the ammonia works as a copper solvent.

It doesn't do anything for the salts does it?

I think the idea is that there is some oil/lubricant in the bore and Windex can cut through that so the salts can’t hide from the water, are fully dissolved, and are carried away.  That’s my theory based in chemistry.

I always use hot water and Palmolive for that reason, then hot water to rinse away any of the Palmolive, then put some patches through to dry, then clean as usual.  Although by that point the bore is clean and you’re putting a layer of your favorite oil/surface protectant.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:50:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
At least OP isn't the guy that flew to Poland and found that his ammo goldmine was all Chinese corrosive stuff. Trying to remember what his username was.
View Quote

As someone said, it’s Dan-something for the username.  He runs/owns Thunder Pumpkin Imports now(NFA dealer)
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have plenty of imported ammo. I KNOW it's not corrosive. If it's chinese or russian, especially in any military caliber, I assume it IS corrosive because both countries are corrupt as hell and always found a way to make a buck by cutting corners.

In 7.62x51, Port, Aussie, Brit [RG] SA, HB/Austrian, and many other were good to go. Others, [I include older French in the mix] like Brazil, any old commie block country, chinese, I assume it is. Indian.......eh it's Indian, I never touched the shit no matter what.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Waiting on @PalmettoStateArmory so I’m gonna give OP a bump
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Waiting on @PalmettoStateArmory so I’m gonna give OP a bump
View Quote

It’s Sunday morning on a holiday weekend.

Nobody should be there to respond to this.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#31]
AND or PSA owes you the new barrel, flash hider etc.
no way should a gun with non corrosive ammo do that in a year. never mind that quikly. that shit is highly corrosive.
i seen mild corrosive. i feel truly bad for you... they advertised it... they fuckin Owe you !!!! i would be livid.

Quoted:
Looks like the ammo company owes you a new barrel.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Yeah @palmettostatearmory is in no hurry to enter this thread. My guess is they will sit this one out entirely rather than to take any responsibility. Sorry OP.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#33]
its why i would never buy that garbage. and i load my own even for class 3 guns.
i load ammo much better then you can buy. PSA needs to make right. they sold shit .

Quoted:
I'm now so glad I didn't get around to ordering any of that ammo, I've seen it advertised on several sites and I almost pulled the trigger on some.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#34]
They were likely sold to PSA as boxer non-corrosive.

There is a whole lot of imported ammo out there marked non-corrosive that is berdan primed.

PSA should contact them.

EDIT: I am curious though. I bought an m14 that had a rusty bore a day after I bought it without shooting it. Not a bula but a springfield. Was made in the factory a month prior according to the tag in the box. Springfield rebarreled it and sent it back to me.

I wonder if they use the same supplier for blanks? I figured it was just bad steel.

Weirdly enough the rifle was bought from PSA

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#35]
hell no... you would be jumping off a cliff. at least the M14 is easy to fix. is the gas system fucked up also ?
the 91 is murder to rebarrel. never ever shoot any shit in it. lake city etc only.

Quoted:
The more I think about it I'm really glad I didn't take my factory HK91 to the range that day.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#36]
windex evaporates quickly.
my friend is the King of using corrosive. since the 1980's.. he mastered it. and never had a gun rust up
i wont touch anything corrosive. not worth it to me. and i ALWAYS fuckin clean the gun after a range day. or session. ALWAYS.

Quoted:

Windex is water, I don’t know why people even use it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#37]
That’s on you, OP.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#38]

I treat everything as corrosive ammo
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#39]
JB may help a little..its going to be pitted. check the gas system.
my buddy had this happen... on a Brand fuckin new M82a1... three shots of ww2 50.
i said make sure ya clean it, give it a quick windex hit. nope he knew better... barrel was fucking ruined. pitted etc.
8000 dollar brand new fun. to this day its still fucked up. and he got out of shooting.

Quoted:

I’d try some JB Bore Paste on patches (not brushes) to start with.

There are much more aggressive options, but they have the potential to make things worse.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:05:34 AM EDT
[#40]
not hope..they should if they are a decent company. i dont deal with them. i dont buy much anymore. i load my own ammo
i feel truly bad for this dude and that beautiful M14. PSA advertised it non fuckin corrosive. and obviously its NOT.
boxes like that it came in just scream corrosive. i wish i was freinds with OP so i could said dont buy that junk Bro.

Quoted:
Man that sucks. Keep in mind it's not just the barrel usually you also have the gas system and stuff can still get in the action and trigger.

If a simple clean doesn't fix it up you likely have some real damage. I hope PSA can help you out. To me the ideal solution would be to send the gun to Atlantic or whatever Smith the company uses and have PSA cover the fix. Good luck.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#41]
incorrect. many copper cleaners like Sweets etc have ammonia for a reason.
one thing in life that boils my blood is people getting fucked by corrosive ammo that is called non corrosive.
some vendors get stuck with it.. and pass it off anyway.

Quoted:
Windex will rust the FUCK out of steel. Anything with ammonia is bad bad bad.  I would suspect you cleaned the rifle with it prio or after based on the OP. Sorry man but his one is on you. I bet the rest of your stuff is propper fucked also.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You think asking them to replace my barrel is overboard? Gun was less than a month old and had about 40 rounds through it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't un-ring a bell.  When good barrels leave they don't come back.

You think asking them to replace my barrel is overboard? Gun was less than a month old and had about 40 rounds through it...

Certainly not an unreasonable request. It was advertised as “Non-corrosive” which was a selling point. If it had been advertised as “corrosive” they likely wouldn’t have sold as much. At the very least, the buyer would have known they needed to clean immediately after shooting. The seller was negligent and should be responsible.

Unfortunately, I don’t believe you will get a new barrel out of PSA. Maybe I am wrong, hopefully I am wrong. I am a HUGE FAN of PSA but I just don’t think they are going to pay you for a new barrel.

Do you have any unfired cartridges? Maybe pull a projectile and pop the primer on a bare, degreased “bright” nail head in a board. Do the same with a different, KNOWN to be NC primed case plus a third nail that has not been tested as a control. This should demonstrate one way or the other if the Polish primer is truly corrosive.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#43]
OP, did you contact PSAs customer service directly?

Did they respond?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

not a bad policy imo.   because how would the importer / retailer REALLY know anyway ??

i'm fortunate not to have to shoot much imported ammo.  the difference in cost just doesn't factor in

and if i DID -- i'd follow your advice
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#45]
good stuff
but it doesnt matter now for his gun. the barrel and possibly gas system is toast.

Quoted:
Get Ballistol and give it a try.  It's good shit meant for cleaning black powder.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#46]
no its not. its sold as NON corrosive.
he bought it assuming its non corrosive.

Quoted:
That’s on you, OP.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Like 10 years ago I purchased some Wolf 7.62x39 that ended up being corrosive.

The company paid to have it shipped back to the US distributor.  I can't recall whether I got a refund or replacement ammo.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:19:12 AM EDT
[#48]
its why i put the time into loading all my own ammo. aside my carry gun and 10mm and AK, i load everything.
im tired of so much gun industry bullshit. i kinda got to a point im sorta off grid now. have enough supply for 25 years or more.
i feel so bad about this. PSA sold the shit as non fuckin corrosive. its on them.

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It doesn’t do anything for the salts does it?
View Quote

Is there even enough ammonia in Windex to do anything to copper. It isn’t actually Butch’s Boreshine.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#50]
OP could try some evaporust that HF sells.  Stuff a stopper in one end of the barrel.  Stand the rifle up.  Fill the barrel with evaporust.  Let it sit a day.

I've pulled bolts off a 50yr old car where I needed to hit them with PB Blaster to get them loose.  Soak overnight in evaporust, and they look brand new the next day.
The stuff does not eat away the steel itself.  It does remove some paints, so careful not to let any stand for a long time where you dont want it.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top