BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:34:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most people in America are actually pretty poor. I'm sure most of that is self-inflicted, and I'm sure their entertainment budget takes the biggest piece of their financial pie.

Being poor in America is still better than being poor anywhere else in the world, and still better off than the average person in lots of places.
View Quote
i grew up really poor in merica.

worked my way into the middle class.

used to do work for rich folk in ski towns.

i've seen the whole burrito at this point.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You got a jank ass poverty phone plan if they don't have promotion that knock the phones costs down by at least half or more. I got the new 13 for like $400
View Quote

I have been on Straight talk for years and have had excellent service the entire time.

As a merchie I am all over Hell's half acre and a number of ship mates have commented that I get better service than a lot of their name brand plans in different areas.

As for Straight talk phones, the A-12 replaced an S-5 I got through straight talk several years ago when they were quite expensive. I paid $150 delivered for it and it lasted me almost a decade until I soaked it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Good price for 4 tires.  It cost me north of 1K for 4 a few months ago.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good price for 4 tires.  It cost me north of 1K for 4 a few months ago.
View Quote

My Goodyear run flats are around 350/tire just for the tire.

I'll be going non-run flat next time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I call BS on this story... Nobody goes into the tire shop to get prices, anymore, they call around. And 10-15 people in the amount of time it took for your tires to get put on? Suuuuuuure.

But yeah, for a lot of people, paying for tires is a pretty big burden. They are expensive. It wasn't until a few years ago that things like tires, brakes, etc were something my wife and I had to plan for or cut back on other things to make it through the month.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Wallmart has Wranglers from $98.00.
I bought from them years ago when I had a different vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
$600 for four tires?

lucky.
View Quote

Laughs in $1800 for 5....

Jeep life.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I mean they do free flat repairs so.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#9]
OP is exaggerating about the number of people, and minimizing the cost.    

I typically earn about 7 tires a day, but still, $800 for simple car tires, is kinda painful, no matter how you slice it.

I can just imagine how that must feel to people who only make a couple hundred bucks a day.    It is what it is.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most people in America are actually pretty poor. I'm sure most of that is self-inflicted, and I'm sure their entertainment budget takes the biggest piece of their financial pie.

Being poor in America is still better than being poor anywhere else in the world, and still better off than the average person in lots of places.

Gives you an interesting perspective, doesn't it?     Most people never get outside their socioeconomic bubble.

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I was in NTB on Saturday morning swapping out a dead battery.  

While I did not encounter any of the poors, there was this fat lady, in a short dress with a tiny little lap dog.  She was slumped down in a chair, with the dog perched on her boobs, and she was sleeping.  With her legs spread and kinda snoring.  

She was facing the lobby, and but for her large and generously proportioned thighs, we would have been looking at her crotch.  

While it seemed weird at first, I gotta say, that was some serious multi-tasking.  Getting some new tires, watching her dog, and catching a nap.  With a bonus peep show.  At 9:30 in the morning.

I think tire shops are the bus stations of the modern era.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I actually saw a guy's tires get repoed from his Ghettolade at Marksman Indoor range in South Houston.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should see the rent-a-tire places.

I actually saw a guy's tires get repoed from his Ghettolade at Marksman Indoor range in South Houston.

When I was stationed at Ft Gordon in 2006, someone in apartment complex had his rims and tires repoed too. It was funny as hell. His 1990's Suburban was sitting on the ground. The repo men didn't even have the courtesy of putting it on blocks
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Not anymore, but there was definitely a time in my life where an unplanned $600 would have been a hit.   I try not to judge people whom I know nothing about.  People struggle for different reasons.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m so glad I work in the industry.  I don’t know how people can afford to drive.  My Bridgestone revo3’s were $600 for 4.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sorry, you said two tires or four tires?

$600 sounds more like two tires...
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#16]
They should have banked those stimulus checks instead of blowing the money on a new big screen?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah I call BS on this story... Nobody goes into the tire shop to get prices, anymore, they call around. And 10-15 people in the amount of time it took for your tires to get put on? Suuuuuuure.
View Quote

Go sit in the waiting lobby of a tire shop for a couple of hours and you might be surprised.

Earlier this month I had 5 new wheels and tires installed on my Jeep. I had definitely done my online due diligence and got a really good price on the wheels and tires back on Black Friday. But the wheels were backordered and just came in at the beginning of the month. So I made an online appointment to have them installed.

Anywho, the wheels are of such a design as to reduce the chance of a tire coming of the bead a lower PSI when offroad. Apparently, it makes it much more difficult to seat the bead in the first place. Long story short, it took them a couple of hours to mount and balance 4 of the tires and I took the Jeep and went shopping while they finished the 5th one.

But for that 2 hours I was waiting in the lobby, there were quite a few people I overheard who just stopped by asking about pricing, getting a repair, or needing to buy tires. There are apparently a lot of people who just don’t put that much thought, research or planning into buying tires, at least.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#18]
There has been systematic and slow progression of financial enslavement of the American people since the 1950s by the Democrats.

Think about the cost of living then, single income. Sure they typically had 1 car and kids were not in expensive sports but people could still afford to save and buy what they needed.

Biden's administration is meant to accelerate the Democratic Globalist 2030 plan and are making up ground since Hillary was expected to win.

Lately the Democrats have the middle class so financially strapped they can't afford basic necessities.

This is all by design.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
$600 for four tires?

lucky.
View Quote
This

I thought under $800 was a smoking deal for my SUV.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Last tires I bought were $450……per tire.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is average person really that broke right now? Replacing the tires for me was an inconvenience, however these people it was literally a complete financial disaster.
View Quote

There are a lot of people really broke right now, yes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Interacting with people on a daily basis I believe the OP's story. Same people are helpless when their car breaks down because they can't afford a tow but have no issues with the latest iPhone, $5+ coffee drinks, alcohol, fast food, video games, big screen TV, cable, subscriptions, etc because those are modern necessities.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Just got tires the other day and saw several people trying to work sketchy deals with some cash, a free tire they got from their buddy that looked like it was heading for the dump and debit card by phone from some family member. I don’t know how the manager didn’t throw these people out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
$600.00 for four new truck tires.......  Just what did you have to do to get that kind of price?
View Quote

Depends on the truck... if it's a quarter ton with 15" wheels you can get a set of house brand tires for $400 out the door.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Depends on the truck... if it's a quarter ton with 15" wheels you can get a set of house brand tires for $400 out the door.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$600.00 for four new truck tires.......  Just what did you have to do to get that kind of price?

See image I posted on previous page.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#26]
1990 F-250. Yokohama Geolanders. Under $700 out the door at DT. $136 ea  then add in warranty’s, disposal, taxes, etc.

Took my 2015 Mustang GT in for a rotate and balance last year.  Guy came back in and told me they were too worn to service.  WHAT?!  Took me outside to show me. 25k miles out of a set of 50k mile tires. Gave me new tires for $100 ea.

I’m almost there again.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Bought new wildpeaks for my truck this morning, was 1600 out the door. 600 bucks is a bargain.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Honda Accord
Lexus ES 350
Honda Civic
Chevrolet Transverse
Chevrolet Impala
Chevrolet Malibu
Toyota Camry
Etc
View Quote

You forgot Nissan Maxima.

There had to be a Nissan Maxima in there right?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Right!  Just spent $1,300 for tires on my truck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$600 for four tires?

lucky.

This
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honda Accord
Lexus ES 350
Honda Civic
Chevrolet Transverse
Chevrolet Impala
Chevrolet Malibu
Toyota Camry
Etc

Shitbox Altimas appear to be the preferred vehicular transportation devices.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Tires have always been to damn expensive.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I just trade in the car come time for new tires...

OK not really... anymore.
View Quote

I once traded in car with the new plates still in the glove box.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#33]
It's called paycheck to paycheck.

Yeah, I've been there.

I'd get two tires, put them on the front. Maybe 6 months to a year, get two more, put those on the front, rotate the old fronts to the back.

Link Posted: 3/30/2022 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#34]
My butler sends ours out for tires and such so I never notice the cost unless my accountant says something!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$600 for four tires?

lucky.

$1100 for me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
$600 for four tires?

lucky.
View Quote

Right, that’s like 1.5 tires for me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Went to Discount Tire yesterday to replace all four tires in my truck. While I was waiting there, I saw at least 10 more people come in wanted to buy tires for their vehicle. Every single one of them acted like spending $600+ was a complete financial disaster. Several had their credit cards declined. Several inquired about payment plans. And several others are part about coupons.  And several wanted discount tire to fix the tires for free.

Is average person really that broke right now? Replacing the tires for me was an inconvenience, however these people it was literally a complete financial disaster.
View Quote

They must’ve been your local realtors.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Just spent $1600 on tires because the dickhead before me wanted to put a lift kit in the truck.

I would've done unspeakable things for $600 tires.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Damn, a single XM47 is over 1600 now. 600 for four? I wish.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Sorry, you said two tires or four tires?

$600 sounds more like two tires...
View Quote

Umm... not everyone drives high-performance or luxury cars. LOTS of us are in the $450.00 range for four.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I was at Discount tire a few weeks ago and had to settle for tires I didn't want because every one I wanted was OOS. I spent $1300.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#43]
We are getting 4 new Coopers on my wife’s CX-5 on Saturday and we are paying $900 cash.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
looking at $1k for my Wrangler at least.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The $600 cost was for a Honda Accord.
View Quote

Used to be getting a quality tire for a sedan or coupe was $70-$90 each and for an SUV was $110 to $130 each.  I'd have sticker shock too if I need to reshoe my suburban I get told $250 per or $1,000 total
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I guess I should feel bad for just ordering $3000 worth of tires for my old Porsche then.

It seems many folks just can't be bothered to actually try and save money by not buying the next best thing. Hell my newest vehicle is a 2001, which is why I can afford to splurge once in a while.
View Quote

Me too!
You and I are very different.

I've been looking into [4] 285's on 16x8s (maybe 17s) with cutout flares* for my '01 Sub, probably a 255/85 on the spare. I need to do the math and see what will fit underneath. All that's really going to add up. I should probably just go with 265s on a set of clean, takeoff stockers. My wheels are gross and my tires old.

*I've been down the torsion bar crank before, no thank you!
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Well I wonder how they would act if they got my 2k bill for the Gladiator.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Either of these could get my Suburban out the door for just over $600 - however, if you buy the lifetime road hazard warranty, nitrogen fill and lifetime top off, plus lifetime balance and rotation for an additional $400 - well, that's on you/

It's crazy to think you can't get 4 decent quality tires for your Camry or Accord for under $600

Link Posted: 3/30/2022 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#49]
I've bought three sets of tires from Discount since November. I wish even one of those sets was $600.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#50]
I always assumed in your hood OP that theys just rent that shit mang.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top