Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:21:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:22:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
These are the houses next to mine.  The whole neighborhood is similarly laid out.  

This is a generally a quiet place, safe, good for small children (see avatar) and easy to get along with people, because we are basically similar in our needs and requirements for what a home and neighborhood provides.  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/phatmax/IMG_20130217_091252_216_zps5fc5b30a.jpg

Nice place!  

Thanks... and no chicken coops, either!
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:22:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

An HOA is no place for a persons/families who dont have time or physcial capability to mow every week or dont make their home the first priority in life..

A lot to be said for this statement. Though in the same slant as the OP question, why would someone NOT put one of the, if not the, most expensive things they own at the top of their priority list?

Honestly just curious.

Welp, you see when you buy a home, you run it and the rest of the neighborhood into the dirt and when it becomes a drug filled ghetto, you just move and claim you had nothing to do with it by leaving your trash out and parking on the lawn.

When did parking on the lawn become a part of liberty and freedom? Who cares? Thieves love shitty looking neighborhoods, they know no one is looking or cares so they know they can steal a bunch of shit and set up a nice crack house. Welp, making the neighborhood look like shit is my personal freedom and has nothing to do with creating an atmosphere for crime and drugs.

And really, as long as we're doing away with rules and HOAs, why have building permits and building standards? Fuck it, FRREEEDDDOOOMMMMM it have a shitty place to live!

Sorry, fuck that.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:23:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Umm how is it free? you pay dues, some states they can foreclose your home to pay said dues and you have to follow their rules.[/div]

Right now, there are about 2 dozen posters on both sides of this discussion laughing at you
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:25:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
These are the houses next to mine.  The whole neighborhood is similarly laid out.  

This is a generally a quiet place, safe, good for small children (see avatar) and easy to get along with people, because we are basically similar in our needs and requirements for what a home and neighborhood provides.  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/phatmax/IMG_20130217_091252_216_zps5fc5b30a.jpg

Nice place!  

Thanks... and no chicken coops, either!

Why do you hate freedom , Tovarishch?
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:26:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Umm how is it free? you pay dues, some states they can foreclose your home to pay said dues and you have to follow their rules.[/div]

Right now, there are about 2 dozen posters on both sides of this discussion laughing at you

Why
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:26:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We don't even have building permits here or inspections during construction unless it's a commercial building. Funny thing is seems to me after buying several here and other areas these are better built by a large factor. All the homes here are nice, well kept and built right and no HoA or permits. Imagine that. Of course houses here are more than 3 feet apart, most are between 2-5 acres (still a recognized subdivision) and I live on the edge of a resort golf course.

Friend of mine recently moved to one with a HoA for the first time. First day he was there he got a fine for having his moving van parked on the road overnight while they were moving. Been downhill ever since.

Too bad it only takes one asshole to fuck up your little paradise.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:26:19 AM EDT
[#8]
HOA's are for people who buy under the guise of home retention/appreciation.  Real Estate that is in demand does not require HOA's to obtain this goal.  Example, most of Dallas, Park City's do no have HOA's and yet the homes are more valuable and appreciate more.  Why is that?  I had to threaten to litigate my last HOA experience and came within 4 votes of having the POS org disbanded  Included calls to local police, City Attorney, it was pure allsome.  Fuck those pretend wannabes in the cookie cutter sheeple mentality.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:29:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Freedom, fuck yeah

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:31:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I like knowing that my next door neighbor isn't going to erect a twelve foot purple Virgin Mary.

I'd pay more to live next to that.  

Why? I have an image in my head, but I hope it's wrong!

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:35:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An HOA is no place for a persons/families who dont have time or physcial capability to mow every week or dont make their home the first priority in life..

A lot to be said for this statement. Though in the same slant as the OP question, why would someone NOT put one of the, if not the, most expensive things they own at the top of their priority list?

Honestly just curious.

Welp, you see when you buy a home, you run it and the rest of the neighborhood into the dirt and when it becomes a drug filled ghetto, you just move and claim you had nothing to do with it by leaving your trash out and parking on the lawn.

When did parking on the lawn become a part of liberty and freedom? Who cares? Thieves love shitty looking neighborhoods, they know no one is looking or cares so they know they can steal a bunch of shit and set up a nice crack house. Welp, making the neighborhood look like shit is my personal freedom and has nothing to do with creating an atmosphere for crime and drugs.

And really, as long as we're doing away with rules and HOAs, why have building permits and building standards? Fuck it, FRREEEDDDOOOMMMMM it have a shitty place to live!

Sorry, fuck that.

I have never said that everyone should have a shitty place. Whats wrong with having a nice place, well groomed lawn, and well maintained house but also haveing a couple chickens in a small coop or a few rabbits in cages for meat?
I actually know plenty of people in cities that raise chickens and rabbits and have no issues with them. But would HOA allow it? probably not.
I am free to do what I want on my property that I own without being told I cannot do something just because my neighbor might not like it.
With that said, I do not live anywhere near a HOA area, I also do not live in a city. I cannot deal with the sheeple factor or the FSA. Oh and around here thieves like the more expencive nicer looking areas because they know the residents are most likley to be unarmed.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:37:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:38:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Arguing with some condemned houses is actually making you look more like an ass than proving a point.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:39:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
If you don't want to look at your neighbor's purple house, you should probably put up a fence.

The whole "But mah PROPERTY values!" argument is a load of crap.   You don't have a right to "value" in your property.   Value is in the mind of buyer and seller.

If your neighbor wants to sell his house to a "trashy" family, are you going to tell him it's your RIGHT to forbid the sale because of how it might affect your property's value?

Pure nonsense.

If you want a say on what goes on next door... then BUY next door.

But you have completely missed the point. An HOA is a free association for like minded people, people who have chosen to live together under a set of rules governing behavior. They have elections and everyone who is a property owner is eligible to hold office on the board.  

It is the purest form of freedom, the freedom to associate with like minded people. I do not live in an HOA, I told my realtor that as long as there is an HOA don't even bother to show it to us. I am a bit jaded because HOA are a large part of my client base, but, I also advocate for them in front of the state legislature and local government because I am strong believer in the right of their members to freely associate under rules that they make and agree to before living in the community.

At the end of the day people choose to live in community associations, they form a compact with their fellow residents and become the most local form of government that people will deal with on a regular basis. If you live in an HOA and don't participate, then don't bitch when things don't go your way. Same thing for gun rights, taxes and freedom at every level. Don't vote? Don't bitch.

Umm how is it free? you pay dues, some states they can foreclose your home to pay said dues and you have to follow their rules.

Seriously?  It is freedom of association - one chooses to belong to an HOA or not - one is not compelled.

The 3rd Grade idea of "freedom" is strong in this thread
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:40:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No problem with my HOA.  I'm glad my neighbor isn't allowed to paint their house purple.

Oh noes, I'm a statist or something!?!?!

The trashy people can move next to the HOA hating people for all I care

This
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:41:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Arguing with some condemned houses is actually making you look more like an ass than proving a point.

Those arent condemned, their owners are just really free.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:41:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Allow me to put it thusly:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/farside51_zps600779c8.jpg

You live in a "neighborhood," and potential buyers of property aren't just buying the house, they're buying into the neighborhood.    The HOA protects the latter.

HOAs wouldn't be necessary if everybody cared about their property, everybody was reasonable, and everybody was a "good neighbor."  Unfortunately, some people are slothful/criminals/jerks, and either don't give a damn, or take perverse delight in screwing with other people.

To expound upon the latter group, you know the kind of people I'm talking about...  they seem to take pleasure in being obstinate a**holes, and will do anything to spite somebody they don't like.  If that means not cutting their grass, having bumpin' parties into the wee hours, or turning their property in a graveyard for 70's Camaros, they'll do it... and smile the whole time.

The HOA is a PRIVATE, VOLUNTARY method to deal with problem neighbors, without involving law enforcement, or constructing a killdozer.  

How is it voluntary? besides not buying the home.

Membership in the homeowners association by a residential buyer is typically a condition of purchase; a buyer isn't given an option to reject it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:43:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Hard to find a nice, new neighborhood/house without them in many areas. Many of them go overboard, but I can understand folks not wanting someone moving in next door and turning their yard in to a junk yard.

With that said, we signed nothing and it feels pretty good. Hopefully the price of houses will keep the real trash at bay for a while.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:45:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't understand it either. My property, my rules.

I'm pretty sure I could live with your rules. But what about people who park their cars on blocks for years and consider a trailer next to the house a room addition?

Some HOAs do the basic minimum to keep nuisances out. That's how it is in my neighborhood. They politely prompt people to keep things reasonable and avoid unnecessary fights. This leaves 95% of our budget for private constable patrol and neighborhood landscaping. We have an all volunteer HOA of residents donating their time to help out and I think that makes a difference.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:46:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly just curious.

Sorry, fuck that.

I have never said that everyone should have a shitty place. Whats wrong with having a nice place, well groomed lawn, and well maintained house but also haveing a couple chickens in a small coop or a few rabbits in cages for meat?
I actually know plenty of people in cities that raise chickens and rabbits and have no issues with them. But would HOA allow it? probably not.
I am free to do what I want on my property that I own without being told I cannot do something just because my neighbor might not like it.
With that said, I do not live anywhere near a HOA area, I also do not live in a city. I cannot deal with the sheeple factor or the FSA. Oh and around here thieves like the more expencive nicer looking areas because they know the residents are most likley to be unarmed.

So some folks raise rabbits, great. Most can not. Sheeple factor, no more like can't keep your house in any sort of good condition factor. HOA developed because people can't act right or maintain they property. When your property is fucked up, it attracts fucked up shit. Look at Chicago, people said it was all good, no HOAs, no rules. Look what they have.

Actually, thieves steal from crappy places where no one is watching. There has been once instance of theft in my neighborhood because we watch out and keep the place looking nice.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:48:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Personally I don't let most people bother me,  but try to wear a shirt.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:48:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those arent condemned, their owners are just really free.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

LOL! I bet someone lives in the unburnt one too. FREEDOM!
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:48:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wow you all sound like a bunch of sally's. What happened to freedom and people allowed to make choices for themselves?

If I want to paint my house purple and work on a truck in my front yard it is my freedom and what my neighbor does is his business. If you dont like your neighbors.......move.

WOW talk about a bunch of whine asses.

So let me get this straight...freedom is only if one is allowed to do whatever the hell they want regardless of impact on those around them, but if a group of people voluntarily use that freedom to band together in a community it is "bad"?

Wow some people's kids.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:49:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Allow me to put it thusly:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/farside51_zps600779c8.jpg

You live in a "neighborhood," and potential buyers of property aren't just buying the house, they're buying into the neighborhood.    The HOA protects the latter.

HOAs wouldn't be necessary if everybody cared about their property, everybody was reasonable, and everybody was a "good neighbor."  Unfortunately, some people are slothful/criminals/jerks, and either don't give a damn, or take perverse delight in screwing with other people.

To expound upon the latter group, you know the kind of people I'm talking about...  they seem to take pleasure in being obstinate a**holes, and will do anything to spite somebody they don't like.  If that means not cutting their grass, having bumpin' parties into the wee hours, or turning their property in a graveyard for 70's Camaros, they'll do it... and smile the whole time.

The HOA is a PRIVATE, VOLUNTARY method to deal with problem neighbors, without involving law enforcement, or constructing a killdozer.  

How is it voluntary? besides not buying the home.

Membership in the homeowners association by a residential buyer is typically a condition of purchase; a buyer isn't given an option to reject it.

You are free not to buy the home.  Is it really that hard to understand?
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:49:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So your neighbor has to mow their lawn every month or so, not leave cars in their front yard, not paint their house neon purple...

Some people like to protect their property value.  

I was waiting for this answer.

And Bren Franklin had something to say about these kinds of morons.

What did Ben Franklin say about a group of private citizens mutually agreeing on a set guidelines to ensure their neighborhood maintains a certain appearance?

Don't like it? Feel free to not live in one. And living in an HOA neighborhood hardly makes one a "moron" like many have suggested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Fire_Company

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:50:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Freedom in the HOA?

In Richmond, Va., Richard Oulton, a Vietnam veteran, is fighting his homeowners association for the right to fly an American flag on a 25-foot pole. The association ordered him to take the flagpole down, calling it a "visual nuisance."

Oulton, who has been raising the flag ever since he was a medic in Vietnam and flew the Stars and Stripes over his bunker, has refused. "To take it down now would be a total dishonor and an insult to everyone that has ever stood for the flag," he says.

Oulton says he checked the association's rules before he moved in, specifically to see whether there were any restrictions on flying the flag. He found no reference to flags or flagpoles, so he put up a large flagpole next to the huge home he built on three lots.

He says his neighbors didn't object, and three neighbors 20/20 talked to agreed. One of them, Frank Taylor, called Oulton's flag "an asset to the community."

But the homeowner's association board said the flagpole was too big. "We had no idea someone would erect a flagpole that large when the guidelines were written," says board member Birdie Nichols. Since their guidelines did not mention flagpoles, the board instead relied on a rule that says "no structure shall be erected? without approval."

The board later adopted rules allowing flagpoles — but restricting them to 6 feet in length and requiring that they be mounted on the house, not standing in the yard.

"All we are asking Mr. Oulton to do is to show his patriotism within the guidelines that everyone else in the community is willing to live by," says Nichols.

Oulton admits he could easily hang his flag from a pole mounted on his house, but says, "It wouldn't be the right thing to do."

Oulton says the board is trampling on his basic freedoms. "I don't understand what the problem is. It's a property right that I have to fly this flag. It's a free speech right that I have to fly this flag."

But people living in planned communities may have fewer rights than they think, says McKenzie. "A homeowners association is essentially a private government. ... They don't have to respect your civil liberties the same way a real local government has to. They don't have to worry about the Constitution or the Bill of Rights."

So far the courts have ruled that Oulton's flagpole does violate association rules. But he vows to appeal, to the U.S. Supreme Court if necessary.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:51:27 AM EDT
[#27]
BTW, HOA haters, it's voluntary. You don't have to sign the agreement and you can move somewhere else. I looked at the neighborhoods without HOA before I bought with an HOA.

I just have to ask, really, you wanna live like that? The non HOA places look like ass. Cool, whatever, but it's not for me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:51:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Winona Blevins, an elderly widow who lived in a planned community in Houston called Champions, was astonished when a constable came to her door one morning and told her he had a court order to evict her.

It turned out that the homeowners association had sold the house out from under her — because she owed $876 in dues. Blevins says she didn't even know her home had been sold: "I had no inkling. Absolutely no idea. None."

Blevins had paid cash for her home and had lived there for 15 years. But the homeowners association says she ignored notices they sent telling her she was behind with her dues. But apparently many of the notices had been wrongly addressed to her long deceased husband, who had never even lived in the house.

Blevins says mail did come to her house addressed to her husband, but she threw it away thinking it was junk mail. She says no one from the community association ever called her or came to her home to tell her there was a problem. Instead, the board turned the matter over to their attorneys, who tacked on thousands of dollars in legal fees and recommended foreclosing on the home to collect.

The association sold Blevins' home at public auction without her knowledge, then had constables evict her with no notice. "They took everything. They said I could take one change of clothing, one. And they took everything else. Everything," she remembers.

Her friends and neighbors were outraged and challenged the homeowners association at an angry meeting. Then local newspapers picked up the story, and Blevins got an attorney and brought a lawsuit. In a settlement, the homeowners board and its attorneys agreed to buy back her house and pay her $300,000 after having left her homeless for almost a year.

But not all evicted homeowners are so lucky. McKenzie says foreclosures by homeowners associations are happening all across the country. "What's really driving this is the dynamics of these collection lawyers who are just out to generate fees and to sell these houses off as fast as they can."
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:52:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Why do people agree to follow the rules and then complain when they are enforced?

The purpose of an HOA is to keep up property values by keeping up shared facilities and forcing people to maintain their property.  Think of it as home value insurance.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:54:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
BTW, HOA haters, it's voluntary. You don't have to sign the agreement and you can move somewhere else. I looked at the neighborhoods without HOA before I bought with an HOA.

I just have to ask, really, you wanna live like that? The non HOA places look like ass. Cool, whatever, but it's not for me.

Yes I agree it it my right to buy the house or not to but if I do not want to me part of the HOA I have to find another house and give up buying the one I want?
How is that free? If I like a house I should be able to buy it and not have to sign a contract with a governing agency.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:55:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:55:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why do people agree to follow the rules and then complain when they are enforced?

The purpose of an HOA is to keep up property values by keeping up shared facilities and forcing people to maintain their property.  Think of it as home value insurance.

Many of them actually fail at that by having so many stifling restrictions that it hurts resale value, and it is quite common to see Realtors try to downplay the restrictions, so that tells me the effect is well known.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:58:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Freedom in the HOA?

In Richmond, Va., Richard Oulton, a Vietnam veteran, is fighting his homeowners association for the right to fly an American flag on a 25-foot pole. The association ordered him to take the flagpole down, calling it a "visual nuisance."

Oulton, who has been raising the flag ever since he was a medic in Vietnam and flew the Stars and Stripes over his bunker, has refused. "To take it down now would be a total dishonor and an insult to everyone that has ever stood for the flag," he says.

Oulton says he checked the association's rules before he moved in, specifically to see whether there were any restrictions on flying the flag. He found no reference to flags or flagpoles, so he put up a large flagpole next to the huge home he built on three lots.

He says his neighbors didn't object, and three neighbors 20/20 talked to agreed. One of them, Frank Taylor, called Oulton's flag "an asset to the community."

But the homeowner's association board said the flagpole was too big. "We had no idea someone would erect a flagpole that large when the guidelines were written," says board member Birdie Nichols. Since their guidelines did not mention flagpoles, the board instead relied on a rule that says "no structure shall be erected? without approval."

The board later adopted rules allowing flagpoles — but restricting them to 6 feet in length and requiring that they be mounted on the house, not standing in the yard.

"All we are asking Mr. Oulton to do is to show his patriotism within the guidelines that everyone else in the community is willing to live by," says Nichols.

Oulton admits he could easily hang his flag from a pole mounted on his house, but says, "It wouldn't be the right thing to do."

Oulton says the board is trampling on his basic freedoms. "I don't understand what the problem is. It's a property right that I have to fly this flag. It's a free speech right that I have to fly this flag."

But people living in planned communities may have fewer rights than they think, says McKenzie. "A homeowners association is essentially a private government. ... They don't have to respect your civil liberties the same way a real local government has to. They don't have to worry about the Constitution or the Bill of Rights."

So far the courts have ruled that Oulton's flagpole does violate association rules. But he vows to appeal, to the U.S. Supreme Court if necessary.

That is as asinine as saying because Governments can be corrupt or inept, that all government is bad.  Then again, that view is also held here by many.  Problems with HOAs do not negate their value.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:00:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I agree it it my right to buy the house or not to but if I do not want to me part of the HOA I have to find another house and give up buying the one I want?
How is that free? If I like a house I should be able to buy it and not have to sign a contract with a governing agency.

If the property is part of a HOA or has restrictive covenants, you don't "want" it.

You have no "right" to buy a specific property under the conditons you want..  You have to freedom to choose which property you will attempt to buy under the conditions of sale.

If you don't like that, tough shit.  Welcome to the real world.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:01:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
HOA's are for people who buy under the guise of home retention/appreciation.  Real Estate that is in demand does not require HOA's to obtain this goal.  Example, most of Dallas, Park City's do no have HOA's and yet the homes are more valuable and appreciate more.  Why is that?  I had to threaten to litigate my last HOA experience and came within 4 votes of having the POS org disbanded  Included calls to local police, City Attorney, it was pure allsome.  Fuck those pretend wannabes in the cookie cutter sheeple mentality.

Again, anecdotal examples do not a rule make.

I live here - http://mallardslanding.us/, pics of the neighborhood here - http://www.mallardslanding.us/cgi-bin/photos.pl.

Care to tell me how *I* am supposed to upkeep a 4000' grass runway, pool, tennis courts, pavilion, without an HOA? Or should we just let each lot owner on the runway decide if they want to move the runway/taxiways whenever they feel like it so we can try to land in 3 foot grass?

For fsck's sake, do not live in an HOA, that is TOTALLY COOL! Hell I too am looking at moving more into the country on some acreage, but what the hell is is with some that cannot comprehend that there are places for an HOA, not all HOA's are "the debil" and that one can CHOOSE to live in one or not?

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:03:19 AM EDT
[#36]
We refuse to live in HOA neighborhoods. It's hard to do in some areas, but we managed.

Our neighborhood is nice and well-maintained, too. We actually know our neighbors and if there's a problem, we actually talk to them. A little friendly ball-busting does the trick if an unmaintained bush or unmowed lawn is really getting under your skin.

The hard combination is finding a neighborhood where the prices are high enough to keep out the scum and white trash, but not high enough that the neighborhood is solely populated by materialistic, uptight liberal, yuppie shut-ins.

I can see the appeal of living in an HOA, but having spent a few years in one of the more insanely-run kinds, I want nothing to do with them.

Some HOA greatest hits from our old neighborhood include:

"We noticed that you recently re-stained your wooden mailbox cover, but it's a little too dark. Approved stains are available for purchase through the Association."

"While a few people may enjoy stone Japanese lanterns, they are not aesthetically pleasing and are not fitting with the spirit of our community and should be kept in the home."

"Vegetable gardens are not permitted in our neighborhood."

"We noticed the addition of a fruit tree in your back yard. As it is visible from the street, you must remove it immediately or pay a fine as it is not one of our approved trees. We only permit decorative crab apple or Bradford pear trees and not fruit trees."

Yeah, screw that.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:05:10 AM EDT
[#37]
I have the best of both worlds, 1/3 of my development was built without HOAs, the remaining 2/3s were built decades later (farmer sold more of his land) and they have an HOA. I'm two houses away from the boundary, so I have 1/2 acre instead of their 1/4-1/3 acre lots, and I don't pay the HOA fees.

ETA: I'm also 0.4 miles outside a swanky municipal town, so I don't pay their income/property taxes, but I'm served by the same post office so I get the property value and prestige from them as well. Property freeloading FTW.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:07:28 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I can't fathom it.  Why would ANYONE pay a monthly fee and WILLINGLY give up their liberty?

Why would anyone give a fuck how somebody else chooses their homes? I can't fathom it. You would think liberty would allow this?

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:08:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the OTHER people in the area banded together and said "in this area you will agree to such and such". Again, some people seem to think that "freedom" means they can do whatever they want, in this case you seem to think it means you can buy a house where YOU want. Well buckaroo, what YOU want is not always what those around you want and they have a say too.

NOTE: Note really trying to be an ass, or get personal (as I do not know you), but this whole thread is full of herpa derp from some who seem to be very upset that OTHERS may choose to live differently than them and it is simply astonishing to me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:09:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I can't fathom it.  Why would ANYONE pay a monthly fee and WILLINGLY give up their liberty?

Why would anyone give a fuck how somebody else chooses their homes? I can't fathom it. You would think liberty would allow this?  

Because the 2nd grade level FREEEEDOM!!! crowd is obsessed with how you choose exercise your freedom.  

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:10:21 AM EDT
[#41]
I have to deal with shit like this right now, and I know I'm going to have a nightmare when I put my house back on the market in the next couple of months. One house over is abandoned by the hoarder that used to live there who also owns the yard across the street from my house and refuses to mow the lawn until the city places a sign in there yard. On the corner lot before my street some scum (probably illegals) bought the house for little of nothing, and leave their garbage in their front yard. I would gladly trade all of this for HOA, and when I FINALLY get this house sold that is where I will be.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:15:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
We don't even have building permits here or inspections during construction unless it's a commercial building. Funny thing is seems to me after buying several here and other areas these are better built by a large factor. All the homes here are nice, well kept and built right and no HoA or permits. Imagine that. Of course houses here are more than 3 feet apart, most are between 2-5 acres (still a recognized subdivision) and I live on the edge of a resort golf course.

Friend of mine recently moved to one with a HoA for the first time. First day he was there he got a fine for having his moving van parked on the road overnight while they were moving. Been downhill ever since.

Too bad it only takes one asshole to fuck up your little paradise.

This.

Because if someone bought the lot next to you, dropped a 1980's single-wide on it and started the stereotypical white trash car graveyard in their front yard, you'd definitely be unhappy with it.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:16:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
We refuse to live in HOA neighborhoods. It's hard to do in some areas, but we managed.

Our neighborhood is nice and well-maintained, too. We actually know our neighbors and if there's a problem, we actually talk to them. A little friendly ball-busting does the trick if an unmaintained bush or unmowed lawn is really getting under your skin.

The hard combination is finding a neighborhood where the prices are high enough to keep out the scum and white trash, but not high enough that the neighborhood is solely populated by materialistic, uptight liberal, yuppie shut-ins.

I can see the appeal of living in an HOA, but having spent a few years in one of the more insanely-run kinds, I want nothing to do with them.

Some HOA greatest hits from our old neighborhood include:

"We noticed that you recently re-stained your wooden mailbox cover, but it's a little too dark. Approved stains are available for purchase through the Association."

"While a few people may enjoy stone Japanese lanterns, they are not aesthetically pleasing and are not fitting with the spirit of our community and should be kept in the home."

"Vegetable gardens are not permitted in our neighborhood."

"We noticed the addition of a fruit tree in your back yard. As it is visible from the street, you must remove it immediately or pay a fine as it is not one of our approved trees. We only permit decorative crab apple or Bradford pear trees and not fruit trees."

Yeah, screw that.

HOA horror stories are a dime a dozen, as are local government horror stories, as are federal government horror stories, as are family member horror stories, as are church horror stories, as are school horror stories, as are marriage horror stories, as are vacation horror stories, as are work horror stories.

It takes a special kind of crazy, though, to use that as justification to reject any of the above in principle.  It usually tells a lot more about the person interpreting and applying the experience than it does anything about the applicability of the experience.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:18:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So your neighbor has to mow their lawn every month or so, not leave cars in their front yard, not paint their house neon purple...

Some people like to protect their property value.  

This.  I don't want to live next to some clown who's house looks like crap and park their cars in the front yard.  My HOA is not that aggressive.  Why are you judging others?  You are the same folks who say MYOB when it comes to other matters so why do you care now?

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:20:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have one.  It is a bit of a investment protection.  I have a small lot, nice house, in a neighborhood of the same.

In the suburbs of Atlanta you can go into neighborhoods that don't have them, and as they age, the number of houses with shit in the yard, crazy paint jobs, unmowed lawns and general disrepair increase dramatically and destroy the home values.  One of the places I lived in is an HOA and 24 YEARS after we moved there, it is still a beautiful neighborhood.  Similar subdivisions within a couple miles with no HOA of the same age are trashy and disgusting.

I find them overbearing to a point, but if I wanted to shoot off my deck, paint my house yellow and green, not mow my yard and build a barn, I would not have bought this house, in this hood.  But I would have to live much farther out and not around the schools and jobs this are has.

Choices. Compromise.

As with anything in life. I believe in *many* cases HOA's are a necessary evil if you live anywhere near a population center.  I live out in the country in a subdivision with only 16 homes, each on 1.5+ acre lot; we have an HOA for the front entrance only. We do have covenants that's boiler-plate stuff but its not enforced nor do people in my AO test that. Outside of my neighborhood about a mile up the road, some bubba dumps junk out in the front of his yard. Kids toys, old washing machines, an old grill and a couch stay out there. Yes the county has forced him to clean it up a couple of times but over time it gets junky again.

Along with personal freedoms comes responsibility. HOA's *can* be over- bearing and a nightmare, for those of you in neighborhoods like that I feel for you. My advice is to get involved, be a voice of reason. Usually one type of person wants to serve on HOA boards so its necessary to have people that would rather not be there counteract such people.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:40:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What if i want a purple house? or god forbid have a flag/nativity scene.
I mow grass every damn week (dad owned a landscaping business).

I disagree with the idea of mowing grass for the most part. Seems to be a stupid wasteful practice. Weed is a derogatory term for natural plants. So we plant a special type of plant in front of our house that is useless and requires maintenance then we decide that it gets too long. So we spend 3 hours every other week wasting our saturday mowing it.

This is how I mow grass.
step 1:
Open gate
step 2
call cows
step 3:
drink beer
step 4:
profit

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:40:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Bottom line, many folks (including me) don't want to live next door to
"that guy".     "That guy" lives one house over in my cul-de-sac.   The
only thing keeping him in check is the HOA and the city.  He behaves
like he still lives on the farm in N. Dakota.  Some people are irresponsible, just don't
get it, or don't care.  

It's about the neighborhood.  HOAs simply enforce your
promise of expected behavior.   Yes, HOAs can be heavy handed if the
elected (by your neighbors) board has an agenda, but your neighbors can
also change the HOA by voting.   And if you live in a city, there are
usually covenants and building codes even if there is no HOA.

You pay your money and make your choice.        

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:41:00 AM EDT
[#48]
HOA's are merely a symptom of not enough government involvement/oversight in our communities in the first place
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:43:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if i want a purple house? or god forbid have a flag/nativity scene.
I mow grass every damn week (dad owned a landscaping business).

I disagree with the idea of mowing grass for the most part. Seems to be a stupid wasteful practice. Weed is a derogatory term for natural plants. So we plant a special type of plant in front of our house that is useless and requires maintenance then we decide that it gets too long. So we spend 3 hours every other week wasting our saturday mowing it.

This is how I mow grass.
step 1:
Open gate
step 2
call cows
step 3:
drink beer
step 4:
profit

Not everyone likes cow shit all over the yard.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:45:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
HOA's are merely a symptom of not enough government involvement/oversight in our communities in the first place

No.  HOAs are a result of the reality that most humans are self-absorbed asswipes that don't give a crap how their overt and willfull behavior affects those around them.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top